PDA

View Full Version : How to make the perfect hard boiled egg

BFGUITAR
04-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Ever hard boil eggs only to have a dark ring around the yolk, and have the shell stick to the egg? Heres a way to prevent both

1) Get some eggs, put them in a pot of cold water
2) Bring to a boil, once boiling take off heat
3) For perfect (IMO) eggs, let them sit, covered, for 10-12 minutes.
4) Drain the hot water and rinse with very cold tap water with ice
5) Let sit for a bit, and enjoy!

frank
04-04-2008, 03:53 PM
what i do is i let them get to a rolling boil, then i leave them on the heat for 5 minutes then i chill them. only tried this way once though.

ProLogic
04-04-2008, 05:40 PM
I just let the water boil first, then throw the eggs in for about 10 minutes.

SDS
04-04-2008, 09:05 PM
I did it right once, but usually I struggle to get the shell off quickly and cleanly. Boiled eggs is good stuff

JazzCatDRP
04-05-2008, 05:29 PM
To get the shell to come off easily, don't use fresh eggs. Let the eggs sit in the fridge for 7-10 days before hard boiling them. The membrane will naturally break down and the shell's come off easy every time.

BFGUITAR
04-06-2008, 12:51 AM
To get the shell to come off easily, don't use fresh eggs. Let the eggs sit in the fridge for 7-10 days before hard boiling them. The membrane will naturally break down and the shell's come off easy every time.

Yes this works as well.

curiosity
04-06-2008, 03:10 AM
the dark ring is from overboiling

just boil for 8 minutes and plunge into ice cold water afterwards, itll make the egg contract and the membrane will come off easy then

a good way i do eggs in bulk is when i plunge them into ice water into a large pot, put the cover on and shake the pot so it breaks the shell and the eggs are ready to just pop out of the pot. Then just throw the shell ridden water down your disposal

Rhesus
04-06-2008, 04:54 AM
I just put them in cold water, and put the ring on full. Then when the water stars to boil, time four minutes. After that just take them out and let them cool, perfect every time for me!

James Hanley
04-06-2008, 06:25 PM
I reckon if it sticks it hasn`t been done enough. For me it doesnt usually stick.

also, put salt in the water, that prevents the egg shell cracking while it sits in the boiling water.

and after you peel the egg, put it under (cold) water and rub the egg shell off. The water will just remove any egg shell. I say cold water because hot water has been sitting around in the water tank.

manowar669
04-28-2008, 11:41 AM
As mentioned above, eggs are too fresh if the shell won't come off. Buy several cartons, stick them in the back of the fridge for a week, then boil.

Dirk Pitt
04-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Thanks man, I will have to try this.

prettyboyfloyd
06-24-2008, 01:03 PM
I just let the water boil first, then throw the eggs in for about 10 minutes.

Thts the way i do em, works for me too

zen
06-24-2008, 01:08 PM
I think it might end up being more precise if you time it from putting eggs into a boiling pot, because not everyone's stoves will heat a pot from cold to boil in the same amount of time, and because of that, some may cook through the eggs more than others.

I have heard that adding vinegar to the water helps unstick the shells.

aebasher
06-24-2008, 01:38 PM
good tips on boiling them, i just throw them in the pot and take a shower and take them off when im out of the shower..

nobby
06-25-2008, 04:31 AM
i boil mine for approx 8 mins really tho its dependant on the size of the egg, salt increases the water temp so they boil faster, i have used vinegar in the past as well.
what i have started to do is boil 30 eggs at once, and pickle them in white vinegar, i have 60 eggs in my kitchen now ready to eat whenever i want em, and they keep for months...

poyse
07-13-2008, 09:47 AM
My uncle who was a long time chef taught me a quick trick that gets the shell off the egg clean every time for me. The trick is before you attempt to peel the egg roll it against a hard surface like your counter top press down just hard enough to crush the shell as it rolls once you complete a revolution or two and the shell is cracked all the way around the middle you should be able to easily peel the shell off in seconds without difficulty. I have done it this way for a while and never have trouble with stuck shells.

need4weights
07-23-2008, 03:15 PM
I actually do do it that way and they do come out great every time.