PDA

View Full Version : Gaining mass low carb?

Spartan936
04-05-2008, 11:12 AM
I happen to be a very carb sensitive individual with a myriad of diabetes problems. Carbs in general make me feel lousy, bloated, and worthless. Before cutting the carbs, my body produced many many times more insulin than it needed (they tested it), yet my blood sugars were essentially normal. Doing a lower carb / paleolithic sort of eating plan seems to work wonders for me. Tons of veggies, meat, oils, nuts, etc... I have lost fat and improved my health with it. But now I would like to add some muscle.

I would eat the traditional high fiber carbs and such, but even those give me severe problems in small amounts. Yes, everytime.

Is there any downside to bulking low carb? I'm talking probably around 80g per day on workout days. I mean, besides giving you instant stored energy, do carbs really have any other useful function?

JazzCatDRP
04-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Carbs also refill your glycogen stores. I'm on the UD2.0 diet, and for three days my carbs are under 75 grams. On that fourth day, I wake up and feel all stringy until I begin the carbload. Maybe someone with more insight into your problem could help give you some guidance!

curiosity
04-06-2008, 03:07 AM
have you looked at the anabolic diet? its a high fat diet for gaining mass with a once a week carb load. works for some people

Slim Schaedle
04-06-2008, 11:29 AM
I happen to be a very carb sensitive individual with a myriad of diabetes problems. Carbs in general make me feel lousy, bloated, and worthless. Before cutting the carbs, my body produced many many times more insulin than it needed (they tested it), yet my blood sugars were essentially normal. Doing a lower carb / paleolithic sort of eating plan seems to work wonders for me. Tons of veggies, meat, oils, nuts, etc... I have lost fat and improved my health with it. But now I would like to add some muscle.

I would eat the traditional high fiber carbs and such, but even those give me severe problems in small amounts. Yes, everytime.

Is there any downside to bulking low carb? I'm talking probably around 80g per day on workout days. I mean, besides giving you instant stored energy, do carbs really have any other useful function?

It's not as easy, but it is not impossible.

Do you know how high you can bump them up without running into problems?

JazzCatDRP
04-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Have you played around with different types of carbs? For some people, the body responds better to some carbs than others.

Spartan936
04-06-2008, 12:03 PM
thanks guys. Yeah I have considered a carb cycling diet, and I may do something similar, but ultimately I feel terrible on carb loading days. Also, I have identified milk, wheat, barley, and several grains as giving me problems. I've pretty much cut out all starches except for some legumes occasionally.

slim, as far as a limit on my carb intake, I would have to guess around 100g tops. It's strange, the week I started my paleolithic eating I was having less than 30g per day. Yet my workouts felt amazing for that week. I think I'll probably go back to that, and probably eat a few more carbs around heavy workouts.

Built has kindly pointed me in the direction of a low carb forum. http://www.beyondlowcarb.net/ It's a great resource. I'm digging through it now...

joelhall
04-07-2008, 05:01 AM
One problem is that often times foods use additives which include low GI sugars, to improve palatability and act as preservative, or some whole grain foods use enzymes in manufacture, such as brown bread, and this means the starch inside is more easily digested. so be warned the difference between natural foods n those made for mass markets, which need a certain length of shelf life in the shop.

also low GI foods will still give rise in blood glucose, just not as high, so im guessing between15 minutes and an hour odd after eating youll feel like crap.

you could try splitting and grazing, so reduce the overall amounts you take in at each meal, or eat a bit more fat to slow the digestion rate of the carbs,or add some lemon juice and vinegar to meals to 'trap' the starch.
also, much against the grain of thinking, a little aperitif before eating can help too:)

joel

Spartan936
04-07-2008, 05:16 PM
yeah, I agree with that, joel. Spreading out those carbs always helps.

and thanks for reminding me of the vinegar trick -- I'd forgotten that.

lol, and I had no idea what an aperitif was until I wikied it. mmmm...