PDA

View Full Version : Partial Deads

Jaybird88
04-05-2008, 05:04 PM
I maxed out my deadlift last night to the tune of 325lbs, 30lbs shy of my alltime PR. I'm pleased, but I'm certain that if I were stronger in the first half of my pull, I could have done much much more. I currently do rack pulls(as indicated in my program below) and really love the amount of overload they allow me. Because of them, my top end strength has improved drastically. However, I'm about to start training the bottom half using some methods I've picked up like pulling off of plates, loading the bar with 25's, and normal deads up to my knees.

My question, is when would be a good time to do these movements, without throwing my racks out of the workouts?

I currently alternate racks and box squats, depending on which lift(deads or squats) I do that Friday. Kinda complicated, I know. But I'm not totally sure how else to work it. Any advice on this would also be awesome.

I'm kind of scatterbrained on this, so if I can clarify at all, just say so. Thanks!

ALSO, any lift or movement that would help the portion of the pull I'm talking about is also appreciated.

WS4SBIII

ME Upper Body
Flat Bench: (work up to 3xMax)
Incline DB Bench*
Cable Rows: (4x12)**
Weighted Dips: (4x12)**
BB Shrugs: (3x15)
BB Curls: (3x8)

DE Lower Body
Box Squats/Racks***: (5x3)
BB Lunges: (3x8)
RDL: (3x8)
Weighted Ab Work

Upper Body Repetition
Flat DB Bench: (4x12)
Chin-ups: (3x8)**
Face Pulls: (3x8)**
Military Press: (4x10)
DB Shrugs: (3x8)**
Tricep Extensions: (3x12)**
Hanging Abs

ME Lower Body
Deads/Squats***: (work up to 3xMax)
Front Squats: (3x10)
Leg Curls/Good Mornings: (3x8)
Abs

*(perform 2 sets of max reps.(Choose a weight you can perform for 15-20
reps on the 1st set. Use the same weight for both sets and rest
3-4 minutes between sets).

**Superset one exercise from “Group 1” with one exercise from “Group
2.”

***Alternate Box Squats and Rack Pulls on DE Lower; likewise, switch between Squats and Deads on ME Lower. Do so weekly.

Ben Moore
04-05-2008, 06:01 PM
I would personally throw the rack pulls in after your squats on ME days so that you are doing them every other week. The biggest thing is don;t get used to one pin setting. Make sure you are pulling from different heights.

bjohnso
04-05-2008, 06:56 PM
The biggest thing is don;t get used to one pin setting. Make sure you are pulling from different heights.

Why?

WillNoble
04-05-2008, 07:21 PM
So you don't become accommodated to one pin height setting... By working from different heights (mid shin, just below knee, above knee, etc.) you work different parts of the pull and become stronger throughout, as opposed to just getting stronger at one point during the lift...

Jaybird88
04-05-2008, 08:44 PM
My problem is the racks in our gym only go to just above my knee at their lowest setting. Its terribly aggravating.

bigmoney
04-05-2008, 09:15 PM
My problem is the racks in our gym only go to just above my knee at their lowest setting. Its terribly aggravating.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Yojk0q4qlw4

DO something like that. IF you don't have boxes, stack plates until you reach your desired height.

bjohnso
04-06-2008, 03:27 PM
So you don't become accommodated to one pin height setting... By working from different heights (mid shin, just below knee, above knee, etc.) you work different parts of the pull and become stronger throughout, as opposed to just getting stronger at one point during the lift...

What if you alternate deads and rack pulls (from your single sticking point) every other week? I'm not arguing with you, I'm just curious to see if that would give the same results.

bjohnso
04-06-2008, 03:28 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Yojk0q4qlw4

DO something like that. IF you don't have boxes, stack plates until you reach your desired height.

I used to do that with plates. Be careful that ****er doesn't roll off onto your foot - that would hurt a lot.

Jaybird88
04-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Anyone else got any delicious tidbits?

Detard
04-06-2008, 10:03 PM
My bar speed off the floor used to be extremely slow. I pulled off a platform only (alternating sumo and conv.) for about a month and that really helped to speed things up. Try it with bands too for extra tension at the top.

RedSpikeyThing
04-06-2008, 10:19 PM
+1 for pulling off a platform.

I used to do that with plates. Be careful that ****er doesn't roll off onto your foot - that would hurt a lot.
That's always scared me a little. I use an aerobics step and add something underneath it if it's too low.

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/53/89/22848953.jpg