PDA

View Full Version : Eating every 3 hours

CastedBaran
04-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Since I'm still in high school i can't exactly eat every 3 hours on the dot since I'm in class, will this be very crucial? I'll still be eating 6 meals a day that are roughly 3 or so hours apart.

Notorious
04-06-2008, 01:34 PM
It doesn't matter whatsoever.

CastedBaran
04-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Are you sure because I've heard many times to eat every 3 hours? I know eating all 6 meals within 5 hours as opposed to eating 6 meals throughout the day is bad because you want to keep your metabolism going. Thats why sumo wrestlers eat once a day(but eat ALOT).

ryuage
04-06-2008, 02:16 PM
dont worry about it... just make sure you hit your calories by the end of the day.

deeder
04-06-2008, 02:17 PM
Are you sure because I've heard many times to eat every 3 hours? I know eating all 6 meals within 5 hours as opposed to eating 6 meals throughout the day is bad because you want to keep your metabolism going. Thats why sumo wrestlers eat once a day(but eat ALOT).

That may be the dumbest thing I've ever heard...

It doesn't matter if you eat every 3 hours, 2 hours or 15 minutes... As long as you're eating as much or as little as you need to be.

CastedBaran
04-06-2008, 02:20 PM
lol ok deeder...easy there im just saying what i heard.

bjohnso
04-06-2008, 02:21 PM
That's a myth that I believed in until recently. It doesn't matter how often you eat, just that you get the macros in.

deeder
04-06-2008, 02:51 PM
lol ok deeder...easy there im just saying what i heard.

How could a 500lb man possibly get enough calories in to maintain that weight in one sitting?

Lones Green
04-06-2008, 02:59 PM
how are your classes longer than 3 hours in high school anyway? in high school i'd sneak stuff into class, and eat between classes. if you want the weight that bad, you'll find a way.

frankzanewannab
04-06-2008, 03:07 PM
i have to disagree here... not trying to start something (that's what happened last time i said something everyone here disagreed with)
i have done a lot of reading in books, mags, and studies. i have also had lessons from nutritionalist and i have never heard what ya'll are saying. by the sound of it you are saying that it doesn't matter if you eat through out the day as long as you get your calories in.
they way i understand is that not only does eating every 2 to 3 hours keep your metabolism working correctly but it also keeps a constant flow of macros through your system.. other wise you can become catabolic.
on a side note regarding the sumo wrestlers.. not only does eating once a day cause your metabolism to only "kick in" once it causes you to store more in the form of fat. by the time you eat the next day your body thinks it's starving and it goes in to a survival mode. since in this mode when you eat it rushes to store thinking that you will starve again. this is reffered to by some as "the cave man theory" since they were said to only eat here and there throught out the week..

Slim Schaedle
04-06-2008, 03:11 PM
How could a 500lb man possibly get enough calories in to maintain that weight in one sitting?

A liter of oilve oil.

:)

Slim Schaedle
04-06-2008, 03:13 PM
i have to disagree here... not trying to start something (that's what happened last time i said something everyone here disagreed with)
i have done a lot of reading in books, mags, and studies. i have also had lessons from nutritionalist and i have never heard what ya'll are saying. by the sound of it you are saying that it doesn't matter if you eat through out the day as long as you get your calories in.
they way i understand is that not only does eating every 2 to 3 hours keep your metabolism working correctly but it also keeps a constant flow of macros through your system.. other wise you can become catabolic.
on a side note regarding the sumo wrestlers.. not only does eating once a day cause your metabolism to only "kick in" once it causes you to store more in the form of fat. by the time you eat the next day your body thinks it's starving and it goes in to a survival mode. since in this mode when you eat it rushes to store thinking that you will starve again. this is reffered to by some as "the cave man theory" since they were said to only eat here and there throught out the week..

Check out the digestion times of foods, and then report back.

The nutritionist you had lessons from needs lessons of their own.

Metabolism gets messed up once someone does not consistently eat enough over a long period of time.

A few hours or even a day is not going to do that.

BFGUITAR
04-06-2008, 03:15 PM

This way of thinking is completely wrong. To completely digest and absorb a tablespoon of butter takes about 4-5 HOURS if I can remember. Your body is already slowly giving your body nutrients from one meal during that time. If you have one large meal consisting of fat, protein, and carbs, it will take well over 6 hours for complete digestion and absorption. While the food is being digested, it than gets absorbed. Therefore your body is slowly giving itself nutrients. I have spoken about this topic to death on this forum. Of course, only eating 1-2 meals can be a problematic to an extent. But 3 large meals with moderate snacking is perfectly fine.

Of course, if you LIKE to eat every 3 hours, fine. But it has no advantage or disadvantage.

If you had read many books and studies you would realize the implications of a 5 hour digestion period.

frankzanewannab
04-06-2008, 03:26 PM
the same nutritionalist that you say doesn't know anything was also the one that told me it takes up to 8 hours to digest some protiens. the idea is that when new foods enter the metabolism works harder. this makes the flow constant so that macros keep moving at a stable rate instead slowing, which begins after 3 1/2 + hours. i am sure that this person, who has studied foods for years and keeps certifications, and has a degree in it knows more than a general forum. happy flaming.

Slim Schaedle
04-06-2008, 03:33 PM
the same nutritionalist that you say doesn't know anything was also the one that told me it takes up to 8 hours to digest some protiens. the idea is that when new foods enter the metabolism works harder. this makes the flow constant so that macros keep moving at a stable rate instead slowing, which begins after 3 1/2 + hours. i am sure that this person, who has studied foods for years and keeps certifications, and has a degree in it knows more than a general forum. happy flaming.

Well, I didn't say he or she didn't know anything, so let's keep this in context.

But trust me when I say that I know plenty of people having professional qualifications much like the ones you describe, that are wrong about alot of things pertaining to sports nutrition.

As far as the general forum...what happens when that general forum is made up of people also holding professional degrees? :)

CastedBaran
04-06-2008, 04:22 PM
haha dam

i didnt know my question would create something like this with much controversy :PPP

BFGUITAR
04-06-2008, 06:13 PM
haha dam

i didnt know my question would create something like this with much controversy :PPP

This has been done to death on this forum.

Just eat and stop worrying...

frankzanewannab
04-06-2008, 06:50 PM
As far as the general forum...what happens when that general forum is made up of people also holding professional degrees? :)

good question.. maybe i don't want to think i was fed wrong info and maybe i was... i dunno... it makes sense and it's done good for me so i believe it.
i am a member on other forums that would argue till they die that you should eat every 2 to 3 hours. some even state you need to get up from sleep just to eat and then return to sleep. (ofcourse they are more the "npc" player than i am)
point of that being that going to different forums for a while has taught me that each forum has their own beliefs and it's crazy how members will fight for what they have learned in "their" forum..... even if each one has doctors, nutritionalist, etc etc.

BFGUITAR
04-06-2008, 07:05 PM
good question.. maybe i don't want to think i was fed wrong info and maybe i was... i dunno... it makes sense and it's done good for me so i believe it.
i am a member on other forums that would argue till they die that you should eat every 2 to 3 hours. some even state you need to get up from sleep just to eat and then return to sleep. (ofcourse they are more the "npc" player than i am)
point of that being that going to different forums for a while has taught me that each forum has their own beliefs and it's crazy how members will fight for what they have learned in "their" forum..... even if each one has doctors, nutritionalist, etc etc.

Ive gone to another forum who feel that doing 5-6 sets for biceps is the "correct" way to work out.

Think about it... why would you need to eat every 2-3 hours if digestion time takes 5? It makes zero sense.

Built
04-06-2008, 07:15 PM

I know it's a persistent myth - there are MANY in this area - but it really doesn't matter how often you eat.

I thought it did, I think we ALL thought it did. But I no longer eat this way and it is much, much more comfortable - particularly when dieting.

For example, I had always been told I absolutely MUST eat some carb in the AM. But I just can't - not if I want to control my appetite for the rest of the day.

Lately, I try to undereat as much as possible in the AM. I train at night, but sit at a desk during the daytime. So I go hungry as long as I can in the am - usually I'm up at about seven, get to work at nine, and eat my first meal at about ten or eleven: cottage cheese, avocado and tuna. No carbs. Lunch is around 1 - salad, dressing, chicken, more avocado. Light snack of veggies and chicken with more fat at around 4, then a preworkout carb snack before training at seven.

Then I go home and stuff myself right up until bedtime.

Keeps me comfortable, I don't mind dieting, and I have a lot more success with appetite control.

Oh, and I cut EXACTLY THE SAME as I did when I tried to do it the "every three hours" route.

Never going back. Thank God that myth got turfed!

powerrack
04-08-2008, 10:48 AM
I do eat smaller portions more often, broken down during the day. Why do I do it? Only reason is I feel comfortable eating that way, I feel good, and I am hungriest in the day time, especially breakfast and lunch. There is no other reason. Just comfort and instinct.

BFGUITAR
04-08-2008, 10:55 AM
I do eat smaller portions more often, broken down during the day. Why do I do it? Only reason is I feel comfortable eating that way, I feel good, and I am hungriest in the day time, especially breakfast and lunch. There is no other reason. Just comfort and instinct.

This is the only valid explanation for it. I feel better.

TopCat
04-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Listen to Built, she knows her information!

Now even though it does jack for your metabolism, I feel there are 2 unique cases when eating every 3 hours can teach an individual important lessons. First is when your trying to gain weight and never seem to be able to put on mass. Eating every 3 hours would help someone get in the habit of always eating. Secondly, it is helpful for someone who is trying to lose weight and never can; it teaches how to portion out food.

For people with experience in actually gaining/losing weight I'd suggest following current scientific evidence which suggests it doesn't make a real difference how often you eat.

Like Built, when dieting, I prefer to skimp out on the calories early on and eat the greater portion of mine in the p.m. so I can go to bed full.

Built
04-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Listen to Built, she knows her information!

Now even though it does jack for your metabolism, I feel there are 2 unique cases when eating every 3 hours can teach an individual important lessons. First is when your trying to gain weight and never seem to be able to put on mass. Eating every 3 hours would help someone get in the habit of always eating. Secondly, it is helpful for someone who is trying to lose weight and never can; it teaches how to portion out food.
Both are valid. I personally portion out my whole day's worth of food, so I just eat it whenever. But it means I don't travel light, KWIM? I schlep my feed bag with me wherever I go lol! For me, this is more comfortable than eating a bunch of tiny meals. I may prefer to eat a few snacks, then a few large meals later in the day. Better for my own satiety.

For people with experience in actually gaining/losing weight I'd suggest following current scientific evidence which suggests it doesn't make a real difference how often you eat.

Like Built, when dieting, I prefer to skimp out on the calories early on and eat the greater portion of mine in the p.m. so I can go to bed full.

SO MUCH NICER when you get to look forward to overeating at bedtime! Almost doesn't feel like a diet!

Slim Schaedle
04-08-2008, 03:24 PM
UD2 + I.F. FTW!!

ha

JSully
04-08-2008, 03:27 PM
LOL @ Slim

bjohnso
04-08-2008, 03:58 PM
SO MUCH NICER when you get to look forward to overeating at bedtime! Almost doesn't feel like a diet!

Word.

Slim Schaedle
04-08-2008, 04:04 PM
I ate 350+ grams of protein in about 15 minutes the other night :)

Rusty Jones
04-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Lately, I try to undereat as much as possible in the AM. I train at night, but sit at a desk during the daytime. So I go hungry as long as I can in the am - usually I'm up at about seven, get to work at nine, and eat my first meal at about ten or eleven: cottage cheese, avocado and tuna. No carbs. Lunch is around 1 - salad, dressing, chicken, more avocado. Light snack of veggies and chicken with more fat at around 4, then a preworkout carb snack before training at seven.

Keeps me comfortable, I don't mind dieting, and I have a lot more success with appetite control.

Oh, and I cut EXACTLY THE SAME as I did when I tried to do it the "every three hours" route.
If you're eating at 11,1,4,7 and then again after training, isn't that the same idea as the every 3 hours?
I'm trying to get the gist of this as I was unaware this was debunked?

Built
04-09-2008, 12:16 AM
I get up at seven. I try to stay hungry as long as I can in the AM, then eat as little as possible through the day - salad, chicken, cottage cheese - stuff that's low in carb and heavy in protein and fibre.

I eat the majority of my calories around the time when I lift.

ryuage
04-09-2008, 12:27 AM

wthell did you eat?

Slim Schaedle
04-09-2008, 12:35 AM
wthell did you eat?

26 oz chicken tenderloins

5 slices fat free cheese

28 oz skim milk

5 scoops whey

ryuage
04-09-2008, 12:51 AM
ya that might do it

Rusty Jones
04-09-2008, 09:20 AM
I get up at seven. I try to stay hungry as long as I can in the AM, then eat as little as possible through the day - salad, chicken, cottage cheese - stuff that's low in carb and heavy in protein and fibre.

I eat the majority of my calories around the time when I lift.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the benefit to this approach? I always thought breakfast was supposed to be an important meal.

Unreal
04-09-2008, 09:31 AM
She already said, it helps control hunger and allow her to stick to a calorie restricted diet. I do the same thing.

Breakfast is normally ~200 cals
Lunch ~300 cals
PreWO ~400
PostWO ~400
Dinner 700-800
Bedtime snack 200-400

By packing about 2000 calories of my 2500 a day from about 4:30-10 I am able to control my hunger and goto bed satisfied.

Slim Schaedle
04-09-2008, 10:07 AM
Screw breakfast

Keith
04-09-2008, 10:12 AM

Good god.

But, like, won't you piss out the other 300g??

Built
04-09-2008, 11:05 AM
If you don't mind me asking, what is the benefit to this approach? I always thought breakfast was supposed to be an important meal.

She already said, it helps control hunger and allow her to stick to a calorie restricted diet. I do the same thing.

Breakfast is normally ~200 cals
Lunch ~300 cals
PreWO ~400
PostWO ~400
Dinner 700-800
Bedtime snack 200-400

By packing about 2000 calories of my 2500 a day from about 4:30-10 I am able to control my hunger and goto bed satisfied.

Screw breakfast

See - I DO eat breakfast. Just not right away - I eat it about 3 hours after I wake up.

Keep in mind, I went to sleep FED. It's not like I'm going to dry up and blow away if I put off breakfast for a few hours.

Put it this way - some folks "don't eat after seven". If I did this, then ate breakfast at seven AM, that's 12 hours unfed, right?

I eat at midnight, then again at ten or 11 AM. I'm fasting less time they the ones who go to bed hungry!

ryuage
04-09-2008, 11:36 AM
Good god.

But, like, won't you piss out the other 300g??

are you referring to myth # 130-19318401-48094701924

where one cannot assimilate more than 50 grams of protein at one sitting?

ryuage
04-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Screw breakfast

haha, I take it you and me are doing somewhat of the same thing... just I dont eat 350 gram protein meals. I split mine into 2 x 150 gram protein meals. If you dont mind posting or pm'ing your ud2+if version (diet and training) I'd like to take a gander.

Slim Schaedle
04-09-2008, 12:14 PM
haha, I take it you and me are doing somewhat of the same thing... just I dont eat 350 gram protein meals. I split mine into 2 x 150 gram protein meals. If you dont mind posting or pm'ing your ud2+if version (diet and training) I'd like to take a gander.

I would just rather get hopped up on caffeine, start my day, and then start eating a few hours later. Not to mention I can't really stomach alot of whole food right after waking....well, I can..I just don't like it.

Each day is dfferent and everything is pretty sporadic right now, with the exception of the basics, like consistent lifting and overal macro intake.

I.F. is something that happened by accident since I can't always break away from lab work. So i fgured I might as well experiment.

Keith
04-09-2008, 12:14 PM
are you referring to myth # 130-19318401-48094701924

where one cannot assimilate more than 50 grams of protein at one sitting?

No, myth #927-3786927-6729584396982173930276518483, idiot.

ryuage
04-09-2008, 01:03 PM
I would just rather get hopped up on caffeine, start my day, and then start eating a few hours later. Not to mention I can't really stomach alot of whole food right after waking....well, I can..I just don't like it.

Each day is dfferent and everything is pretty sporadic right now, with the exception of the basics, like consistent lifting and overal macro intake.

I.F. is something that happened by accident since I can't always break away from lab work. So i fgured I might as well experiment.

ya I am exp now with IF...

ryuage
04-09-2008, 01:03 PM
No, myth #927-3786927-6729584396982173930276518483, idiot.

doh... i knew i messed up somewhere

beachmuscles
04-09-2008, 01:53 PM
So your telling me...If I go out and eat at 9pm, and don't eat again until 3am (it has happened before) I'm doing NO damage what so ever? I always thought I was burning muscle for not eating for 6 hours.

Unreal
04-09-2008, 05:05 PM
You could probably not eat till 9pm the next day and not do any "damage" assuming you weren't in a depleted state and not doing tons of activity. Too many variables, but 6 hours is nothing.

BFGUITAR
04-09-2008, 05:15 PM
I kill babies if I don't my milk in the morning.

JSully
04-09-2008, 05:20 PM
I like the idea of IF and I think I could utilize this to my advantage. I'm always missing meals because I'm trying to break things so I'm not taking in 100g protein in one sitting and 25g protein in another. I've always been confused as to the logic behind splitting up meals and always wondered, "well if i'm getting my cals, what does it matter what time".. so.. I like the idea of IF, that way I can fast until 2pm ish and then eat until I'm satisified, instead of having that dying hunger all day long.

Slim.. can you link any studies to this? What happens when you're in a depleted state like UD2 puts you in?

Slim Schaedle
04-09-2008, 05:43 PM
I like the idea of IF and I think I could utilize this to my advantage. I'm always missing meals because I'm trying to break things so I'm not taking in 100g protein in one sitting and 25g protein in another. I've always been confused as to the logic behind splitting up meals and always wondered, "well if i'm getting my cals, what does it matter what time".. so.. I like the idea of IF, that way I can fast until 2pm ish and then eat until I'm satisified, instead of having that dying hunger all day long.

Slim.. can you link any studies to this? What happens when you're in a depleted state like UD2 puts you in?

I haven't seen, or at least remember, and specific studies.

Lyle's site has a bunch on IF.

I do not believe it has been studied adequately using bodybuilders (but barely any study does, haha), so alot of the concept builds off other studies dealing with fasting. I really haven't looked into things with much detail or scrutiny.

The guy on this site swears by it and runs a successful business employing it.
http://leangains.blogspot.com/

Songsangnim
04-10-2008, 08:37 PM
I

!

Heh, I do the exact opposite. Breakfast is my biggest meal of the day. But that's because I can't sleep on a full stomach since I get really bad acid reflux. Any food I eat has to be well-digested before I go to bed...at least 2-3 hours

ddegroff
04-10-2008, 08:56 PM

Yeah happened some what of the same way for me. I like IF for the most part. It's easier than most people think. how's it working out for you?

thewicked
04-10-2008, 09:36 PM
sure you can eat that much in school... if you're looking to keep a constant supply of food in your system. Take snacks or pre made meat, etc. in baggies or containers. What's a water bottel and a few scoops of nitrean take to make when shaken together in the hallway? I've done t his all through my highschool and college career now. Tuna comes in easy open pop tops now... nuts... you name it. You can make it happen if you want to but if you're unable to put the food away like you want... just shoot for your total daily intake.

Slim Schaedle
04-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Yeah happened some what of the same way for me. I like IF for the most part. It's easier than most people think. how's it working out for you?

So far so good.

Fat loss seems to be sped up big time, although I can't say for sure, since more fat loss would be obvious in later weeks on UD2.

My cals have gone down very, very low the past few days. I'm talking like 1000/day total. And I still feel great and adding weight to the bar.

ephedrine, ftw!

ryuage
04-10-2008, 10:54 PM
liar... just said you had 350 grams of protein... = at the minimum 1400 =p

Slim Schaedle
04-10-2008, 11:31 PM
liar... just said you had 350 grams of protein... = at the minimum 1400 =p

That was last Tuesday :moon:

JSully
04-11-2008, 09:07 AM
So far so good.

Fat loss seems to be sped up big time, although I can't say for sure, since more fat loss would be obvious in later weeks on UD2.

are you mixing UD2 and IF or are you just saying in relation to UD2?

Slim Schaedle
04-11-2008, 09:13 AM
are you mixing UD2 and IF or are you just saying in relation to UD2?

Mixing.

JSully
04-11-2008, 09:17 AM
Gotcha.. I'm going to experiment with IF on my low cal days.. I'm really trying to stay anabolic after the load so I want the continued cals those days..

I've got 3 days left on this low cal portion of the cycle so I'll try it for these 3 days..

Just to make sure I got this right.. Instead of consuming my 1700 cals over the course of the day.. I would just wait until about 5pm and then take in my pre workout shake then afterwards my post workout shake then the rest of my cals throughout the duration I'm still awake (bedtime=about 10pm)... right?

JSully
04-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Mixing.

are you doing IF on your load and high cal days too?

ddegroff
04-15-2008, 08:58 AM

I'm curious as well. I loved IF, still kinda eat that way, anyway.

Slim Schaedle
04-15-2008, 09:28 AM

I don't think I could if I tried.

I push it up to around 7,000 on fri and sat.

JSully
04-15-2008, 09:37 AM
yeah I didn't think so either. I ate ALL DAY yesterday and got in around 6300cals.. Probably could have pushed 7500 if I would have eaten more often since I was hungry again about an hour after I ate each time. I was pretty comfortable though, right at 1000g of carbs. In my past UD2 I have pushed it up to 1800g carbs.. that was a rough day!