PDA

View Full Version : George Halbert performing a great prehab-rehab delt exercise

chris mason
04-06-2008, 08:01 PM
George calls this the "H-Roll". I have just begun incorporating it into my regimen.

Q52t3xlmjEs&eurl

bigbadwolfe
04-06-2008, 08:27 PM
It works, TRUST ME!!!!

Travis Bell
04-06-2008, 08:38 PM
No joke! it kills my rear delts.

I think he's uses the 65's for the most part. I can only work up to 45's myself

thewicked
04-07-2008, 08:11 AM
Sick! Bump To The Top!

Lones Green
04-07-2008, 08:14 AM
thats pretty cool, i think i'll give it a shot today.

bjohnso
04-07-2008, 09:22 AM
I'll give it a shot on tomorrow, my right shoulder has been bothering me.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
04-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Definitely, looks like a great exercise! I'm going to try it next time I go to the gym.

Thanks for posting the info:thumbup:

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
http://www.atlargenutrition.com/fivepiecepuzzle.php
GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?

Travis Bell
04-07-2008, 10:40 AM
start light and make sure you raise them above your head like George does in the video and you'll get a nice rear delt burn like none other haha.

I actually like these better then bent over flyes, seated or standing

Chris Rodgers
04-07-2008, 03:10 PM
I'll definitely try these out.

PS- George looks lean as hell!

PPS- Are they lifting to Coolio's Gangsta Paradise? :windup:

bigbadwolfe
04-07-2008, 03:14 PM
I'll definitely try these out.

PS- George looks lean as hell!

PPS- Are they lifting to Coolio's Gangsta Paradise? :windup:

Nope that was Weird Al Yankovic's Amish Paradise :)

Hahaha No Really I dont know what it was, sounds like the end of the Coolio song though!!!

Travis Bell
04-07-2008, 03:49 PM
yeah George is super lean!

I asked him how long he thought he'd be able to stay at 198

he just smiled and said "as long as I want to" :evillaugh:

nhlfan
04-07-2008, 04:06 PM
thanks a lot chris, gangster's paradise is going to be stuck in my head for the rest of the day...:bang:

I'll try these tonight!

Detard
04-07-2008, 04:32 PM
DE Bench today for me so i'll give them a try.

thewicked
04-07-2008, 04:37 PM
okay I need some clarification..

is it just like a front raise just bent over like that...or do you rotate it out like you would normally do standing rotator cuff exercises?

Travis Bell
04-07-2008, 04:59 PM
well similar to a front raise, but watch how he bends his elbows a little bit at the top half of the movement. you don't want to rotate it out too far otherwise with that momentum you could actually do damage.

When you're doing them, if you don't feel it in your rear delts, you're probably doing it wrong. When I first asked George about these, I too thought it was a front delt movement, but when I tried them I was shocked that I didn't even feel it in my front delts.

Detard
04-07-2008, 05:50 PM
So I tried these with some light dumbells tonight and I had to stop. I may be doing them wrong but every time I got near the top of the rep my shoulder would get a bad pinching (I have a bad shoulder though, been going to physio for about 2 months to help it). Anyone else have issues with it?

Travis Bell
04-07-2008, 06:16 PM
bummer bro. hope you iced your shoulder afterwards.

good choice on backing off

chris mason
04-07-2008, 06:18 PM
By the way, you guys can thank Travis for the video. He is our official Westside videographer.

Chris

bill
04-07-2008, 06:19 PM
I do seated db cleans, I think it's basic same exercise. You have work up slow and be careful as stated above not to let momentum over stretch you.

View 1
04-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Looks like a inclined cuban press, gonna try them as my rotator cuff on the right side is not the greatest.

jbrin0tk
04-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Looks tough. I'll have to give it a shot on my next bench day.

SGT ROCK
04-07-2008, 08:30 PM
I too...am going to add these. For me I will be doing them on upper back day. George is someone I have the UTMOST respect for. Meeting him made me nervous to be quite honest. A true world class athlete.

Semper Fi

TommyBoy
04-07-2008, 08:43 PM
Awesome. Thanks a ton for posting this! Definitely gonna give it a try!

Ben Moore
04-07-2008, 10:23 PM
Did them tonight and WOW! Those suck terribly bad...in a good way, LOL.

ACaslow
04-09-2008, 09:05 AM
it looks like a 'prone cuban rotation'
actually it is.
It's amazing how some (ME, myself and I) ignore the little things, and in essence those are the things that work and help us tremendously.

I'll get on the wagon and get after them also.

Lones Green
04-09-2008, 09:14 AM
it's cool how such a suttle movement can do so much for you. i tried these the other day and loved em. i have a friend who tore his labrium about a year ago (rugby player), and he's still battling problems with his rear delts. i'm going to suggest these to him.

Rob Luyando
04-09-2008, 03:46 PM
It works, TRUST ME!!!!

I will take George's word but will never trust you!:moon:

thewicked
04-09-2008, 08:09 PM
I will take George's word but will never trust you!:moon:

rob luyando-wned! :evillaugh: :clap:

thewicked
04-09-2008, 08:10 PM
did these today after my bench workout and loved them too... 40's are heavy! I've got to start picking up the pace a little!

bigbadwolfe
04-09-2008, 08:26 PM
rob luyando-wned! :evillaugh: :clap:

That is one of the best "Owneds" I have seen in a awhile. Kudos to you my friend :)

thewicked
04-09-2008, 08:27 PM
just for you wolfey! HAHA

bjohnso
04-10-2008, 01:05 AM
I tried these. I did 3 sets of 10 with 12lb dumbells, lol! They were hard!

p12owerhouse
04-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Thanks for taking interest in the h-roll. I have tried hundreds of shoulder/rotator exercises for rehab/prehab and have found this to be my favorite. A couple of things to keep in mind. First the angle this is performed at is crucial the closer your upper body is to parallel to the floor the better the exercise will work. Whereas the more upright you are the less effective the exercise is and if there is already shoulder damage this could increase it. Also the finish of the exercise should be in the shape of an h. with the forearms and biceps perpendicular to one another. If any discomfort is felt this is most likely due to an impingement of the shoulder. If this is the case use lighter weights and higher reps and over time this exercise should address the impingement.

Travis Bell
04-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen....the great George Halbert has spoken!

can't wait for the meet in a couple weeks bro!

bencher8
04-10-2008, 05:05 PM
ok...not sure I would ever have thought George would post on the internet.

Secondly, I didn't know you could say Impingement and perpindicular George lol j/k with ya...

Paul Key

bjohnso
04-10-2008, 05:14 PM
I guess I was doing them wrong. Thanks George.

thewicked
04-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Thanks for taking interest in the h-roll. I have tried hundreds of shoulder/rotator exercises for rehab/prehab and have found this to be my favorite. A couple of things to keep in mind. First the angle this is performed at is crucial the closer your upper body is to parallel to the floor the better the exercise will work. Whereas the more upright you are the less effective the exercise is and if there is already shoulder damage this could increase it. Also the finish of the exercise should be in the shape of an h. with the forearms and biceps perpendicular to one another. If any discomfort is felt this is most likely due to an impingement of the shoulder. If this is the case use lighter weights and higher reps and over time this exercise should address the impingement.

as so it was written! :evillaugh:

THANKS MR. HALBERT!

chris mason
04-10-2008, 09:41 PM
Yep, thanks for contributing George!

Just an FYI guys, we are working up a flyer George helped us to compose with his top 5 big bench tips. It will be available on AtLarge very soon.

Chris

thewicked
04-10-2008, 09:45 PM

Just an FYI guys, we are working up a flyer George helped us to compose with his top 5 big bench tips. It will be available on AtLarge very soon.

Chris

SICK!!!!

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
04-11-2008, 06:52 AM

That's great seeing you post the info about the H-Roll. I hope you keep posting because have a lot of knowledge that could help a lot of lifters.

Thanks a lot:thumbup:

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
http://www.criticalbench.com/JT-Hall-Big-Willie.htm
GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?

Jeff Roark
07-02-2008, 03:39 PM
just watched this again since I got to thinking about it while I was outside hoeing my garden of all things! Watching the video it hit me that this is the Reverse Hyper for the shoulder joint. Watch Halberts motion with these, its just like seeing the guys from WSB doing Reverse Hypers. I'm going to add these in on my routine thats chopped down to begin with as I need a big bang exercise. Press/Row-Chin/H-Roll and everything important is hit.

HP666
07-02-2008, 03:47 PM
I gotta say, my rotators are a bit sketchy to begin with, but I've added H-Rolls into my training, both light and heavy and it has made a huge difference. This is one awesome exercise and if anyone hasn't used it yet, give it a whirl for a few weeks and you'll notice a difference.

Eric Downey
07-03-2008, 12:22 AM
those are great for the delts. I've been doing those since 1999. when i first got personal trainer certified it was one of the movements the man showed us.

johnst_nhb
07-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Welcome Mr. Halbert!

I am a nobody, just a lurker who loves to train...I love the pics that Kroc posted of you guys over on EFS. Very inspirational to see so many greats together!

-j

Bob
07-04-2008, 06:23 AM
Just a question for George or anyone around him...
When George says "the closer your upper body is to parallel to the floor the better the exercise will work"... does it mean that performing it on a flat bench is the best or do you have to have some kind of incline?

And thanks George for being another great resource on WBB... one of the greats offering advice.. awesome.

Erik 23
07-04-2008, 06:49 AM

Chris
Excercise looks good ill have to check it out

Chris if you can please get george to post here more i got a lot of questions i would like to ask him

ayezer
07-16-2008, 05:54 PM
how heavy should you go on that exercise

chris mason
07-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Excercise looks good ill have to check it out

Chris if you can please get george to post here more i got a lot of questions i would like to ask him

I think George just isn't someone who spends much time online. I will see what I can do.

Chris

Erik 23
07-16-2008, 09:01 PM
I think George just isn't someone who spends much time online. I will see what I can do.

Chris

Thanx Chris George is a living legend i feel we could all benefit from just asking a few questions and getting his responses as he is so knowledgable.Good job on sponsoring lifters like him also your company has some of the best athletes in the world sponsored by you keep on doing what you do chris i love reading the articles on your website.

Travis Bell
07-16-2008, 09:07 PM
George works quite a bit and when he's not working, he's lifting. He just doesn't have much time for the internet

bjg7
01-25-2009, 01:00 PM
gunna give this a try, been getting pain in right shoulder maybe this'll help out!!

achilles89
01-28-2010, 02:15 PM
I was looking for a "Halbert Press" and landed on the "H-Roll" linked from an article "Bench Press Tips by George Halbert". I've gotta try these sometime :D

Brian Hopper
01-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Marcus Wild showed me these and I really like them. You dont need alot of weight either. It definitley is a good prehab-rehab exercise for your shoulders.

robchris
01-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Great exercise! I've been doin' these for about a year now and I love em'...

ThomasG
01-28-2010, 08:53 PM
I use this exercise on my clients that need to strengthen their rotator cuffs and overall should muscles. I've always called them prone y's.