PDA

View Full Version : First pl meet next month?

gregory1978
04-06-2008, 10:06 PM
I am enetring my first powerlifting meet next month. I have been lifting weights since I was 18. I am 30 now so I have some training time, but haven't done much powerlifting training. A powerlifter from my gym said I should try a meet and that I would probably do well once I get used to the equipment. I am looking for advice on how to train for the next 3 weeks. I will be lifting without a squatting suit or a bench shirt. I usually train in a pyramid on squats, bench presses and shoulders. I do deadlifts for sets of 5. MY best squat set is 495 for 6 reps and my best bench set is 405 for 6 reps. The most I have deadlifted for 5 is 475. I one time did deadlift 545. I can bench 465 at the end of my workout or sometimes I do 440 for 2 or 3 reps. I have never maxed out on squats. What do you suggest for traing and for my beginning lifts at the meet. Also I can use knee wraps, but I have never tried them. Should I weight until later or try them now. I weigh 214 right now, but will probably lift the 220 class. Do you think I will be competitive? Thanks for any help.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
04-07-2008, 10:45 AM
I don't compete in full meets, but I do have some good information for you.

1. Don't be too concern if you'll be competitive. Just go to the meet and have fun. You'll meet a lot of new people & form new friendships.

2. Your openers should be weight that you can do at least three times. This will prevent you from bombing at the meet.

3. Last bp workout, 1-week before the meet. Last squat workout, 7-10 days before the meet. Last deadlift workout 10-14 days before the meet.

4. Bring a cooler with snacks, water, protein shake,etc.

5. Got to the rules meeting & ask any questions.

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
http://www.atlargenutrition.com/fivepiecepuzzle.php
GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?

Lones Green
04-07-2008, 11:08 AM
Have Fun.

deeder
04-07-2008, 11:47 AM

1. Don't be too concern if you'll be competitive. Just go to the meet and have fun. You'll meet a lot of new people & form new friendships.

2. Your openers should be weight that you can do at least three times. This will prevent you from bombing at the meet.

3. Last bp workout, 1-week before the meet. Last squat workout, 7-10 days before the meet. Last deadlift workout 10-14 days before the meet.

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?

This is great advice! It's your first meet, don't worry about winning. It should just be about getting the experience and having fun.

JT, what do you think about doing a light squat and bench workout closer to the meet? I generally do a light squat about 5 days before I lift and a light speed bench 4 days before.

gregory1978
04-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the responses. I have always trained more like a powerlifter then a bodybuilder anyway, but this is my first time competing. I was thinking i would start with a 500 squat, 420 bench and a 485 deadlift. If I bench on fridays and the meet is on a saturday should I take 8 days off. I usually do close grips and tris on monday. I could bench monday instead and have 5 days? Normally I squat on tuesday and do back/deadlifts saturday. How should I adjust my training . Also should I concentrate on maxing out before the meet or keep training the way I have been? Thanks

Also the meet is a sanctioned uspf. Do they have a division where you don't use the bench shirts or will I be competing against people using the suits and shirts.? I heard some competitions have special classes with no equipment?

oxo
04-07-2008, 05:03 PM
do not do anything for 7days befor the meet it dosit mater what you do befor that well it dos just do you normal training up to 7days befor the meet and thin cut it off

allso try and do some max work just to see what you can do dont go to the comp wethout trying your openers

you shud do alot more but you dont have time

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
04-09-2008, 05:47 AM
This is great advice! It's your first meet, don't worry about winning. It should just be about getting the experience and having fun.

JT, what do you think about doing a light squat and bench workout closer to the meet? I generally do a light squat about 5 days before I lift and a light speed bench 4 days before.

That's fine as long as it's really a light workout.

For example: My last bp workout is on Friday. Sometimes I might do a light workout on Monday and rest up until the meet on Saturday.

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
04-09-2008, 05:52 AM
Thanks for the responses. I have always trained more like a powerlifter then a bodybuilder anyway, but this is my first time competing. I was thinking i would start with a 500 squat, 420 bench and a 485 deadlift. If I bench on fridays and the meet is on a saturday should I take 8 days off. I usually do close grips and tris on monday. I could bench monday instead and have 5 days? Normally I squat on tuesday and do back/deadlifts saturday. How should I adjust my training . Also should I concentrate on maxing out before the meet or keep training the way I have been? Thanks

Also the meet is a sanctioned uspf. Do they have a division where you don't use the bench shirts or will I be competing against people using the suits and shirts.? I heard some competitions have special classes with no equipment?

I don't think USPF offers a raw division or equipped division. So, you would be competing against lifters that are using powerlifting equipment.

There are several federations that do offer raw or unequipped divisions.

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?

CMAND21
04-10-2008, 07:44 AM
I just competed in my first meet a few week ago. Here is what I learned.

I did not train properly for the squat. I had hit "550" multiple times but as I found out I could not do 450 to competition depth. So I am starting over at 135 and doing 10 sets of 12 plus yoga just to gain the flexability to do so. Some may laugh at yoga but I would challenge you to try it. You will feel some pain in places you have not every felt it before especially in the core.
The bench felt like the weight was on my chest forever although I did come close to a PR. I will be more prepared for my next meet in Dec.

I did not care about competing against anyone but myself. Go have fun meet some cool people.

gregory1978
04-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Another question? I squat close stance with the bar higher on my traps, but I go very deep. My squats are usually fast down and up, but on some of the videos I have seen , the lifters have a very wide stance and go slow. Do I need to pause at the bottom of the squat.? Is there any benefit to squatting so wide? It seems like it would put more stress on the hips and less on the quads. Also, how much do knee wraps help? I was thinking of trying some this week. It is too late for a squat suit, but is it worth trying wraps 3 1/2 weeks out or does it take time to get used to?

thewicked
04-10-2008, 09:24 PM

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?

AWESOME advice from MR. Hall...that's pretty much all there is to it.

Go there..have a blast..and get the experience. Just put on a show man! It's a competition with yourself..not with everyone else. Just focus on doing your best and let everyone else worry about y ou if you're a competitive person! I LOVE being on the platform! As long as you have fun that's what counts! EVERYONE there is usually REALLY cool no matter where you go and always supportive of everyone no matter what they're doing or who they are.

bring food and drinks man..sometimes you sit awhile. I always bring pre-package zip locks of nitrean and results to pour into water bottles and take down while i'm waiting and before we lift.

drew
04-11-2008, 05:26 AM
I am enetring my first powerlifting meet next month. I have been lifting weights since I was 18. I am 30 now so I have some training time, but haven't done much powerlifting training. A powerlifter from my gym said I should try a meet and that I would probably do well once I get used to the equipment. I am looking for advice on how to train for the next 3 weeks. I will be lifting without a squatting suit or a bench shirt. I usually train in a pyramid on squats, bench presses and shoulders. I do deadlifts for sets of 5. MY best squat set is 495 for 6 reps and my best bench set is 405 for 6 reps. The most I have deadlifted for 5 is 475. I one time did deadlift 545. I can bench 465 at the end of my workout or sometimes I do 440 for 2 or 3 reps. I have never maxed out on squats. What do you suggest for traing and for my beginning lifts at the meet. Also I can use knee wraps, but I have never tried them. Should I weight until later or try them now. I weigh 214 right now, but will probably lift the 220 class. Do you think I will be competitive? Thanks for any help.

You certainly have a great base of strength there. FOr your first meet, don't go too crazy and most importantly, don't change anything. Keep your form and equipment the way it has always been. Don't add knee wraps if you haven't used them before, it will hurt more than help.

Your openers should be 495,405,475 since these are the numbers you rep consistently and will be most comfortable with. Go up from there based on what you feel like doing. Make sure to read the rules of your fed and understand that you have to wait for commands (especially on the bench).

Don't be too concerned with weight class, just weigh in at what you weigh. Don't change your training too much, just be sure to hit your openers (for singles) 1-2 weeks before the meet.

You'll learn a lot just from competing. Once you get one under your belt, you can start to think about adding the gear.

Good luck.