PDA

View Full Version : Progress -- Criticism?

themidnighter
04-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Hey guys.

Looking for a little criticism on my bulk. Wondering if I'm making decent progress, so I can adjust my diet. I've gone from 147lbs to 154lbs in the last 7 weeks.

Let me know what you all think I should work on and where my weak points are. I think my chest has become a weak spot, and even though I'm consistently getting stronger, I'm not sure the progress is showing.

Thanks!

Nosaj
04-07-2008, 01:32 AM
Still lean, keep at it. You've probably gained 2-3% bf. How clean is your diet, how much above maintenance calories are you eating?

Invain
04-07-2008, 07:43 AM
I'm actually suprised at how much of a difference 7 pounds made. Everything looks a little better, and your back especially looks wider.

Jaybird88
04-07-2008, 08:07 AM
:withstupi:

Everything, especially your back, has benefited from the looks of things. Keep it up, dude. Good work so far.

Detard
04-07-2008, 09:04 AM
Back got wider and wheels got bigger.

themidnighter
04-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Still lean, keep at it. You've probably gained 2-3% bf. How clean is your diet, how much above maintenance calories are you eating?

Cool, thanks.

I'm not exactly sure what my maintenance calories are... but I'm eating anywhere from 3500 to 4500 calories daily, averaging around 4000 per day. Is a 2-3% bf gain too much? Should I cut back on my calories?

themidnighter
04-07-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm actually suprised at how much of a difference 7 pounds made. Everything looks a little better, and your back especially looks wider.

Thanks man!

Yeah, I'm only 5'7", and I have a very narrow bone structure. Maybe that's why the gain made a difference?

That said -- I'm actually optimistic that I'll get to 170 by the end of the summer. What do you all think?

eastbaylifter
04-07-2008, 01:18 PM
There is a slight improvement, but personally I think you should wait a lot longer than 7 weeks before taking the "after" pics. If you keep it up, in about 20 weeks there'll be a more impressive comparison.

Cards
04-07-2008, 10:17 PM
I'm roughly the same height as you. It's always nice because small weight gain is always noticable. That being said it goes the same way for losing weight, anyways looking good man keep it up.

ProLogic
04-07-2008, 11:29 PM
In 2 months? holy crap

themidnighter
04-08-2008, 06:44 PM
I'm roughly the same height as you. It's always nice because small weight gain is always noticable. That being said it goes the same way for losing weight, anyways looking good man keep it up.

At least there's one good thing about being short. ;) That and easily being able to weave through crowds.

Thanks for the kind words. You're around where I want to be by the end of the summer. 170 by September, by hook or by crook.

mickyjune26
04-08-2008, 06:51 PM
At least there's one good thing about being short. ;) That and easily being able to weave through crowds.

Thanks for the kind words. You're around where I want to be by the end of the summer. 170 by September, by hook or by crook.

I'm 6'7" and I weave good too! Well, it's more of a plow-like weave, but just the same....

Great work though man. You can pack it on a lot faster than me. I'm jealous!

Jorge Sanchez
04-08-2008, 07:08 PM
I'm no green giant, but I'd much prefer to be taller than shorter in crowded situations.

Good work. There's a clear difference.

Gabrielle
04-08-2008, 10:14 PM
You are gaining some good size but u are gaining a bit of bodyfat. It all depends on your goals in the long run. You look very good for your height and weight.

themidnighter
04-09-2008, 04:07 PM
You are gaining some good size but u are gaining a bit of bodyfat. It all depends on your goals in the long run. You look very good for your height and weight.

Yes, you're right about the bodyfat -- I'm developing a little bit of a spare tire.

Now... I've seen a lot around here about fat consumption in the last few days. I've read up on it, and there seems to be a lot of conflicting viewpoints. But, from what I gather, the body makes testosterone from fat, so eating a good amount of fat per day is a good thing. And that it's caloric excess that leads to bodyfat buildup, and not necessarily fat consumption. Have I interpreted that correctly?

I can tell I'm gaining a fair share of bodyfat (it isn't bothering me yet), and that fat comes as part of a bulk -- but I'd like to limit it, if possible. If I'm eating, say around 150g of fat per day, and around 4000 calories -- should I cut back on calories and fat, just fat, or just calories? Or should I not worry about it and forge ahead the same way?

(also, thanks for saying I look very good for my height and weight! ;) )

Keith
04-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Added about 2-3% BF but added some quality size especially to your legs. I'd give yourself a longer period of time before posting progress pics.

Cards
04-10-2008, 07:25 AM
170's a good goal for the end of the summer, i've been trying to hit 170 for about half a year. It's a pain in the ass to find the right intake where you gain enough to put on weight and muscle but not enough to put on bf% when you don't count calories. I personally like to take monthly pictures and post them in my pictures section but that's for my self to see progress, kind of makes a timeline. Anyways good luck with your goal.

Gabrielle
04-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Nah, lol you don't have a spare tire. You just happen to store more fat in your obliques area. I am the same way, so I can relate. Cards has a very good point about finding the right balance. Regardless, you are gaining a good amount of muscle.

themidnighter
04-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Nah, lol you don't have a spare tire. You just happen to store more fat in your obliques area. I am the same way, so I can relate. Cards has a very good point about finding the right balance. Regardless, you are gaining a good amount of muscle.

lol -- it's funny, as I've never really had much fat before in my life -- to see where it distributes on my body. Needless to say, I don't like where it accumulates. lol

nhlfan
04-10-2008, 07:11 PM
100-120g is probably a good fat ballpark figure for 4000 cals