PDA

View Full Version : going from 3-board to No-board?

mickyjune26
04-07-2008, 08:15 AM
Hey all,
Hit 315 on 3-board for the first time. It felt pretty good and could hit it for 2 - 3 reps pretty soon.

My question - What is the best method of working down to "no-board"?

I'm not using shirts yet, though may start in 2 months. I also have some elbow aches that happen when I go to my chest too often. I just started ETS, Results and Maximus a few days ago.

Thanks.

Travis Bell
04-07-2008, 08:31 AM
When I'm training raw I normally don't work down consecutive weeks with boards. I might do some full range presses with band tension or some 5x5 sets with a close grip or something.

Trying to work it down with boards week after week will take longer than full range work

Ryan Celli
04-07-2008, 08:37 AM
I'm not sure of the "Best Way" but, i would go down a board each bench work out. 3 board, 2 board, 1 board, then down to your chest.

You can cycle the boards, start with a 1 board, then 2, 3, 3, 2, 1, 0. This way you will only have to bench off your chest like once every 7 weeks. This may allow you to train heavy and let your elbows heal up.

Be ready to make some nice gains with that supplement stack! I'm using the Maximus and Results, and love them!

johnst_nhb
04-07-2008, 11:00 AM
When I'm training raw I normally don't work down consecutive weeks with boards. I might do some full range presses with band tension or some 5x5 sets with a close grip or something.

Trying to work it down with boards week after week will take longer than full range work

Travis, can you elaborate a bit on how you would set this up?

thanks!

mickyjune26
04-07-2008, 11:03 AM

I think i'll go with this. I was thinking about doing some rev band work on ME day and reg band work on DE day. On DE day, I may go to 2 or 1 board, depending on my elbows.

mickyjune26
04-07-2008, 11:16 AM
I'm not sure of the "Best Way" but, i would go down a board each bench work out. 3 board, 2 board, 1 board, then down to your chest.

You can cycle the boards, start with a 1 board, then 2, 3, 3, 2, 1, 0. This way you will only have to bench off your chest like once every 7 weeks. This may allow you to train heavy and let your elbows heal up.

Be ready to make some nice gains with that supplement stack! I'm using the Maximus and Results, and love them!

Ryan, I checked out your introduction and just like Travis, you have the track record to know what you're talking about also. I'm concerned about starting this cycle in the beginning, since it would directly take me to my chest.

At the same time, I'm concerned about ME Rev Band bench, because that also goes straight to my chest.

hmmm....

Maybe I should go for ME Rev Band bench, but to a 3-rep max instead of a single. Do this for 2 weeks then do a 3 week board cycle of 2, 1, 0?

Maybe I'm making this too complicated...lol.

Btw - the elbow pain is just an moderate ache. Sometimes when I take IB profrin before the workout it barely even aches. ETS should be kicking in a week from now...i hope.

Ryan Celli
04-07-2008, 02:15 PM
I just reread your original question, and looks like I read it wrong, sorry.

You wanted to know how to work down from a 3 board to no boards. Theres really only one way...work down from a 3 to a 2 to a 1 then 0.

If it's a elbow issue, maybe just stay with a 3 board, and do full range on incline dumbell or barbell, make sure to hit some flys for chest until your elbow heals up. You never specified what you can and can't do with your elbow.

My idea of starting off with 1 board is to have the weight light, then as the boards go up so does the weight. If you haven't done boards I always start someone off with 1 board, so they get used to the heavier weights gradually.

Travis Bell
04-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Travis, can you elaborate a bit on how you would set this up?

thanks!

Sure thing! Take what I say with a grain of salt as well, Ryan has been training raw alot longer than I have.

When I'm training for a raw bench, I like to use 3brds and 4brds for more lockout range. I use them as a secondary ME exercise, not my main one so I'd use them on a day where I decided to do two ME exercises

For my main ME exercise I stick to full range work with varying band tensions and chain weight. I also found that using a thumb length from the smooth or pinkie on the ring grip for the majority of my sets and then going comp grip for the last set or two.

There are two ways I'll approach varying the band tensions. Most times what I'll do is week 1 with a crap load of chain weight, week 2 with lots of band tension and week 3 with moderate to low band tension and then week 4 with straight weight.

The second is the opposite. I'll start with low band tension and work to high.

I like to rotate between the two although the one that seems to prepare me best for straight weight is starting high and working down. Negative side is typically since I'm not used to the tension right off a deload week, I barely hit a PR that week.

thewicked
04-07-2008, 04:34 PM
Hey all,
Hit 315 on 3-board for the first time. It felt pretty good and could hit it for 2 - 3 reps pretty soon.

My question - What is the best method of working down to "no-board"?

I'm not using shirts yet, though may start in 2 months. I also have some elbow aches that happen when I go to my chest too often. I just started ETS, Results and Maximus a few days ago.

Thanks.

AWESOME WORK BUDDY! HOW'S IT FEEL TO BE MOVING SOME GOOD WEIGHT?!! :cool: :bow:

Best way I know of working down to not using a board is to jsut get to where you're man handling it on a 3 board then switch to a 2 board until you do the same... once you smoke it on a two board I don't see why you woudl'nt just go ahead and try to touch with it. Using boards when raw training is abit different from using boards when shirt benching I think..but it still transfers the weight into your body unlike pin presses and it really helps in getting you used to being under heavier ****! Again man..great work for sure!

I've also been taking ETS and LOVE it! It along with Results is making my workouts seem easier and easier and easier..it's getting to the point that I'm going to change gyms just because I keep outgrowning the equipment around here! Maximus and ETS is a great combo..throw in some results and you'll be as shocked as i was!

thewicked
04-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Sure thing! Take what I say with a grain of salt as well, Ryan has been training raw alot longer than I have.

When I'm training for a raw bench, I like to use 3brds and 4brds for more lockout range. I use them as a secondary ME exercise, not my main one so I'd use them on a day where I decided to do two ME exercises

For my main ME exercise I stick to full range work with varying band tensions and chain weight. I also found that using a thumb length from the smooth or pinkie on the ring grip for the majority of my sets and then going comp grip for the last set or two.

There are two ways I'll approach varying the band tensions. Most times what I'll do is week 1 with a crap load of chain weight, week 2 with lots of band tension and week 3 with moderate to low band tension and then week 4 with straight weight.

The second is the opposite. I'll start with low band tension and work to high.

I like to rotate between the two although the one that seems to prepare me best for straight weight is starting high and working down. Negative side is typically since I'm not used to the tension right off a deload week, I barely hit a PR that week.

great advice as always from TB