PDA

View Full Version : Casein protein is awesome

dougyp
04-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Last week I started reading about casein and it's pro's over whey and it occurred to me that I've been taking two steps forward and one step back while I sleep. I've been stuck at 180 for the past 3 weeks (my bulk was super succesful, my weight skyrocketed from 160 to 180 and then leveled off). So, I got myself some pure micellar casein from Optimum Nutrition (23g per scoop) and started taking a midnight shake before bed of casein instead of my usual whey and I've gained about 2-3 solid pounds in the past week and my deadlifts hit a new max, so has bench. If anyone is trying to bulk with limited success, this might be an answer.

BFGUITAR
04-07-2008, 12:17 PM
So basically drink more milk is what your saying?
The protein isn't what gave you your gains.

Holto
04-07-2008, 12:37 PM
dougyp:

Looks like you need to do some more reading to understand what makes your body lose and gain weight.

Rock Steady
04-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Why does everyone post about this kinda stuff when they have one good week where they also happened to retain a bit more water? (sorry, but that's what happened)

I agree casein protein is a good thing, but give it 3-4 months before you credit it for mass gains. The Calorie is King.

dougyp
04-07-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm not saying the protein gave me the gains, I'm saying 2-3 solid lbs of muscle couldn't hurt. I haven't even felt like going over 265 lbs, ever. Yesterday I pulled 325 for 5 reps so what does that tell you. I don't suggest drinking more milk if you already drink your daily allowance because couple compounds in milk are extremely difficult for your stomach to break down and literally turn to glue in your stomach, and also release hormones such as histamine which can make you feel crappy. Micellar casein is the more healthy to consume of the different structures casein can be found in and is the kind they fraction and sell in drums at the health food store.

Rock Steady
04-07-2008, 12:48 PM
I'm not saying the protein gave me the gains, I'm saying 2-3 solid lbs of muscle couldn't hurt. I haven't even felt like going over 265 lbs, ever. Yesterday I pulled 325 for 5 reps so what does that tell you. I don't suggest drinking more milk if you already drink your daily allowance because couple compounds in milk are extremely difficult for your stomach to break down and literally turn to glue in your stomach, and also release hormones such as histamine which can make you feel crappy. Micellar casein is the more healthy to consume of the different structures casein can be found in and is the kind they fraction and sell in drums at the health food store.

Man, I guess you're right. Can't argue with that, right? Mmmk. I'm glad you're making progress, keep it up.

dougyp
04-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Why does everyone post about this kinda stuff when they have one good week where they also happened to retain a bit more water? (sorry, but that's what happened)

I really am getting sick of this website how as soon as you post something of quality you immediately get 3 or 4 a**holes who think they know everything jump on you and find anything in a post to flame in order to push their opinion. I weigh myself on a daily basis and for the past 3-4 weeks my weight has fluctuated from 180-183 MAX. I'm now at 186-187. So, what were you saying again about water weight? And you were so sure. The point is, whey protein is super fast absorbing, and while you sleep your muscles finish off the protein you have put in your stomach and are going into a catabolic state. By consuming casein at night (a protein has an average absorption rate of 6-8 weeks as opposed to its counterpart, whey, that has an avg. abs. rate of 2-4 hours). Happy flaming.

Rock Steady
04-07-2008, 12:57 PM
I really am getting sick of this website how as soon as you post something of quality you immediately get 3 or 4 a**holes who think they know everything jump on you and find anything in a post to flame in order to push their opinion. I weigh myself on a daily basis and for the past 3-4 weeks my weight has fluctuated from 180-183 MAX. I'm now at 186-187. So, what were you saying again about water weight? And you were so sure. The point is, whey protein is super fast absorbing, and while you sleep your muscles finish off the protein you have put in your stomach and are going into a catabolic state. By consuming casein at night (a protein has an average absorption rate of 6-8 weeks as opposed to its counterpart, whey, that has an avg. abs. rate of 2-4 hours). Happy flaming.

Thank you for your well thought out and rationale response. There aren't many people here that will consider 1 week an adequate time frame to judge results of any supplement.

EDIT: you posted nothing of true quality. If you did a search you'd find a plethora of scientifically backed information on casein protein. What you posted was pure hearsay.

dougyp
04-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Hearsay? I'm sorry but the facts I posted about casein being a slow digesting protein is all but common sense. If you don't know that, then I guess your 1,393 post count is meaningless and from hereafter everything you say is in question. As far as I'm concerned. And being stuck at a plateau, not changing up my routine, not changing my diet, frequency, intensity rest times or any other factor that I can think of off the top of my head that could contribute to my gains except for the casein before bed, in my mind one week is enough to judge.

BFGUITAR
04-07-2008, 02:01 PM
You need to do a lot of reading before we can help you.

dougyp
04-07-2008, 02:50 PM
don't need help, bud... you must get a hard on everytime you click on the post reply button. congratulations, your one post better. it's a system of measurement for bodybuilding i.q. i guess.

BFGUITAR
04-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Your making casein protein sound like something special... it isn't.

Keith
04-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Your making casein protein sound like something special... it isn't.

Leave him be.

He's obviously far too stubborn and immature to listen to anyone here.

Invain
04-07-2008, 05:20 PM
don't need help, bud... you must get a hard on everytime you click on the post reply button. congratulations, your one post better. it's a system of measurement for bodybuilding i.q. i guess.

Wow, rofl. It's always so ironic when guys thatt are wrong bash everybody else for trying to correct them.

It's great that you made gains bro, but casein protein isn't a magical ingredient. You need to calm down and listen to other poeple on the board that have more experience and know more than you. No need to be an angry troll.

deeder
04-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Last week I started reading about casein and it's pro's over whey and it occurred to me that I've been taking two steps forward and one step back while I sleep. I've been stuck at 180 for the past 3 weeks (my bulk was super succesful, my weight skyrocketed from 160 to 180 and then leveled off). So, I got myself some pure micellar casein from Optimum Nutrition (23g per scoop) and started taking a midnight shake before bed of casein instead of my usual whey and I've gained about 2-3 solid pounds in the past week and my deadlifts hit a new max, so has bench. If anyone is trying to bulk with limited success, this might be an answer.

You didn't put on 2-3 pounds of muscle. It has nothing do with the casein. You've simply upped your calories enough to gain a little weight again.

You didn't put on 2-3 pounds of muscle. You pulled 325lbs for 5 reps because you stopped being a pussy and went over 265lbs. You might have had it in you for a long time.

You didn't put on 2-3 pounds of muscle. Do you know what water weight is?

Hearsay? I'm sorry but the facts I posted about casein being a slow digesting protein is all but common sense. If you don't know that, then I guess your 1,393 post count is meaningless and from hereafter everything you say is in question. As far as I'm concerned. And being stuck at a plateau, not changing up my routine, not changing my diet, frequency, intensity rest times or any other factor that I can think of off the top of my head that could contribute to my gains except for the casein before bed, in my mind one week is enough to judge.

Didn't you say in your first post that you just learned about casein last week? Common sense is it? Oh, and you didn't put on 2-3 pounds of muscle.

You must get a hard on thinking about how awesome it must be to have a higher post count! Congratulations to me! Because my "bodybuilding iq" is better than yours. And you didn't put on 2-3 pounds of muscle.

Holto
04-07-2008, 05:59 PM

How many calories were you consuming before you started the casein?

How many calories were you consuming after you started the casein?

If you can't answer these questions accurately, you can't intelligently attribute your gains to the casein.

The bottom line is it's impossible for an individual to evaluate anything. If we know that slow proteins are good before bed, do it. But don't think you can really analyze your own progress and point at individual factors, it's just not scientific and never will be. There is a reason why clinical data with small groups is scoffed at.

SDS
04-07-2008, 08:01 PM
You should double your intake of casein so that next week you'll have gained 4-6 lbs of muscle, and you'll deadlift 650 lbs......hell, eat a tub a day and get yourself in the Guinness book next month......

Rock Steady
04-08-2008, 02:27 PM

Originally I thought you were just confused. Now I'm thinking....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douche

By the way, look at your posts per day compared to others. Yeah.

Big Jay
04-09-2008, 08:26 PM
I don't suggest drinking more milk if you already drink your daily allowance because couple compounds in milk are extremely difficult for your stomach to break down and literally turn to glue in your stomach.

is this true? cause i drink 3 liters a day

Invain
04-09-2008, 08:38 PM
No, it's not lol. I drink almost a gallon every day. As long as you can normally digest lactose don't worry about how much milk you drink.

And also, never believe anything dougyp says.