PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable Kettlebells

ZenMonkey
04-07-2008, 05:55 PM
http://uskettlebells.com/productinfo.html

any thoughts? any suggestions on better alternatives?

deeder
04-07-2008, 07:21 PM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=108090

Here's some homemade ones nddillon posted about.

I don't know anything about kettlebells so I have nothing more to input :p

nddillon
04-08-2008, 12:12 AM
I have made an adjustable one, like deeder posted, it is great for swings and basic stuff; however if you are getting more advanced and using alot of cleans and presses try looking up the kettlestack.
kettlestack.com i think
Great product and a third of the price of the one you posted; although you have to supply the plates for it...check it out.
Too pricey for me. I am melting down tire weights and pouring my own made of lead and concrete.
Where there is a will there is a way!

Just_Moe
04-08-2008, 05:25 AM
I have made an adjustable one, like deeder posted, it is great for swings and basic stuff; however if you are getting more advanced and using alot of cleans and presses try looking up the kettlestack.
kettlestack.com i think
Great product and a third of the price of the one you posted; although you have to supply the plates for it...check it out.
Too pricey for me. I am melting down tire weights and pouring my own made of lead and concrete.
Where there is a will there is a way!

you are melting down lead? are you serious?

Chubrock
04-08-2008, 08:50 AM
Safe up the extra money and buy a series of real KBs. They're worth it in the end.

ZenMonkey
04-08-2008, 09:03 AM
Safe up the extra money and buy a series of real KBs. They're worth it in the end.

well, if i could do that then i would not have started a thread about adjustable ones.:birthday:

Chubrock
04-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Then go ahead and spend your money instead of waiting a bit longer.

McVein
04-08-2008, 12:43 PM
save up for a real set, well worth the investment, if the adjustable ones were any good....everyone would be using them

drew
04-08-2008, 01:04 PM

Lead is safe as long as you don't ingest or inhale it (lead dust).

Sensei
04-08-2008, 02:35 PM
well, if i could do that then i would not have started a thread about adjustable ones.:birthday:
Well, you DID ask about alternatives...

It depends on your goals/purpose for using kettlebells, but there's a lot you can do with one or two kettlebells (w. a set weight) - you don't need a whole set. JMO. http://www.russianreds.com/

ZenMonkey
04-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Well, you DID ask about alternatives...

It depends on your goals/purpose for using kettlebells, but there's a lot you can do with one or two kettlebells (w. a set weight) - you don't need a whole set. JMO. http://www.russianreds.com/

i DID ask for adjustable alternatives to non adjustable kettlebells. thus the title of the thread

thanks for the info.

nddillon
04-08-2008, 06:04 PM

Yep,
MUCH cheaper,
much more dense than iron,
its got a relatively low melting heat and poured into glass jars placed inside empty weigh protein containers with quikrete around it with truckbed spray on it they are by far the best ones I have ever used.
My 86lbs Kb is the same size as a DragonDoor 63ish.
Plus its a great learning experience. My generation sucks at fabricating things because we were spoonfed everything and if we didn't have ebay we wouldn't survive.
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=109432

rant rant rant...I am better

save up for a real set, well worth the investment, if the adjustable ones were any good....everyone would be using them

As for saying that if adjustable kettlebells were that good everyone would use them...Barbells use to be non adjustable also, and look what happened! Give it time, friend

Chubrock
04-08-2008, 06:53 PM
As for saying that if adjustable kettlebells were that good everyone would use them...Barbells use to be non adjustable also, and look what happened! Give it time, friend

Adjustable KBs, for all intensive purposes, suck. The handling is vastly different than a real KB and you end up beating the **** out of yourself.

nddillon
04-08-2008, 07:01 PM
They suck because you say so? Everyone is differant, the handling of a kettlestack and a dragondoor are the same, in fact I like the feel of the handle on the kettle stack more, as your the beating yourself up comment, you are going to have to clarify what you mean.

Which adjustable ones are you referring to?

Chubrock
04-08-2008, 07:09 PM
They suck because you say so?

Yes they suck because I say so. I've handled a kettlestack and couldn't stand it at all. The clean feels incredibly different, as does the snatch. The stack bangs the forearm much more so than a traditional kb.

Sensei
04-08-2008, 07:16 PM
Adjustable KBs, for all intensive purposes, suck. The handling is vastly different than a real KB and you end up beating the **** out of yourself.I think some people just don't want to hear it Chub...

Look, I know there are a lot of people who think kettlebells are nothing more than a "cash grab" (to quote another at these boards), but there is a tremendous difference when you snatch a decent kettlebell vs. snatching a piece of crap. It is a balance/weight distribution issue and it is a craftmanship issue. If all you'll ever do are swings, then yeah it probably doesn't matter that much as long as it doesn't fall apart as you're swinging it, but if you ever plan on doing high-rep snatches, or clean & jerks it definately does matter and you'll be very glad you invested a few extra $$ into a quality piece of equipment.

The adjustable KB the OP has linked costs about the same as a decent fixed-weight 53lb kettlebell. IMO, as someone who's definately done his share of kettlebell work, I'd go w. the fixed weight.

Have I tried the adjustable ones? No, I have not, but I don't need to. If someone asked me if they should buy a "Sports Authority" (a sporting goods store) barbell that came with a buttload of plates and collars vs. an Eleiko barbell of the same cost without the accoutrements, I'd say buy the Eleiko NO HESITATION WHATSOEVER. I don't need to test out the other barbell to know that.

There's **it and there's shinola people - know the difference.

Just_Moe
04-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Lead is safe as long as you don't ingest or inhale it (lead dust).

if you touch it, it is dangerous, if you melt it particles become airborne and ARE inhaled as well as ingested.

I actually have studied lead for about 15 yrs now, I promise this is not just idiot bull****. But, it is your brain, your fertility and your skeletal structure, hormone function etc a so have at if you want. I was just really shocked anyone would even think of doing it.

Ben Moore
04-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Yep,
MUCH cheaper,
much more dense than iron,
its got a relatively low melting heat and poured into glass jars placed inside empty weigh protein containers with quikrete around it with truckbed spray on it they are by far the best ones I have ever used.
My 86lbs Kb is the same size as a DragonDoor 63ish.
Plus its a great learning experience. My generation sucks at fabricating things because we were spoonfed everything and if we didn't have ebay we wouldn't survive.
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=109432

rant rant rant...I am better

As for saying that if adjustable kettlebells were that good everyone would use them...Barbells use to be non adjustable also, and look what happened! Give it time, friendman, I want to see pics of that thing!!!

McVein
04-09-2008, 02:56 AM
Bro, kettlebells have been the same way for years, The reason the solid ones are superior is that they are balanced, if some parts were heavier and some parts were lighter, itd take the whole balance away, sensei is spot on, theres a huge difference between snatching a good one and a bad one.

RickTheDestroyer
04-09-2008, 07:45 AM
I can't compare it to non-adjustable ones as I haven't used them, but my kettlestack works fine for me.

Chubrock
04-09-2008, 07:52 AM
I can't compare it to non-adjustable ones as I haven't used them, but my kettlestack works fine for me.

I wish I could've gotten ahold of a traditional KB and brought it down there awhile back. There was a couple of those lifts I was showing you that just don't go smoothly because of the balance and shape of the kettlestack. The transitions are a lot more rough and you end up getting banged around. I kinda compare it to pulling with a stiff bar and pulling with a powerbar or DL bar.

ZenMonkey
04-09-2008, 08:05 AM
are all solid kettlebells made more or less equal? or do you suggest that russian red brand?

and are suggested starting weights in your kettlebell thread sensei?
I incline DB Bench a couple of 110s for 5 reps/ squat 335/ DL 415

Invain
04-09-2008, 08:34 AM
if you touch it, it is dangerous, if you melt it particles become airborne and ARE inhaled as well as ingested.

I actually have studied lead for about 15 yrs now, I promise this is not just idiot bull****. But, it is your brain, your fertility and your skeletal structure, hormone function etc a so have at if you want. I was just really shocked anyone would even think of doing it.

Why have you studied lead, if you don't mind me asking?

I'd really like to see studies on the dangers of simply touching lead. I've always been taught that it's only dangerous when ingested or inhale. Have you ever been fishing and used a lead anchor? I also believe things like lead get over-hyped sometimes. How many other things that we encounter daily can be considered "toxic" or a known carcinogen. Here's a good example: http://cancer.immunodefence.com/2007/09/top_20_things_that_are_more_da.html I'm not downplaying the toxicity of lead, but I don't see a problem with touching it.

Sensei
04-09-2008, 08:57 AM
are all solid kettlebells made more or less equal? or do you suggest that russian red brand?

and are suggested starting weights in your kettlebell thread sensei?
I incline DB Bench a couple of 110s for 5 reps/ squat 335/ DL 415No, they are not equal. Some kettlebells are good, some are horrible. The Russian Reds are good and reasonably priced - I would recommend them. There are others I'd recommend, but most of them would probably cost more and I respect that cost is an issue for most people.

I can't tell you for sure what you should get because those numbers you gave don't always translate so well to the KBs, but I'd say the 53lb or a 35lb. If you buy a 35lb, you'll probably grow out of it pretty quickly. A 53lber will probably be too heavy to do some exercises for some time however. I guess I'd probably go w. the 53lber if I were you.

Chubrock
04-09-2008, 10:26 AM
I say buy a 24kg and a 32kg if you can spend the dough. If you can't, go with the 24kg.

ZenMonkey
04-09-2008, 11:01 AM
thanks guys! can't wait to start incorporating it in my routine

McVein
04-09-2008, 03:36 PM
24 is very heavy to start with, 16 is the rxd beginners bell.

nddillon
04-09-2008, 09:57 PM
I will admit that all the fixed weight kettlebells I have used were too light and the adjustable ones would only hold about 70#s therefore I never had a problem with grip and the "feel" of their balance.

I love kettlebells however I think that most people go to light with them for training

And anyone complains about getting beat from a little 40lbs kettlebell...never take up MMA

Chubrock
04-10-2008, 06:16 AM
And anyone complains about getting beat from a little 40lbs kettlebell...never take up MMA

Don't give me that ****. I did BJJ and a little MT. The fact that I don't want to beat the hell out of my forearms when I lift means nothing.

Sensei
04-10-2008, 06:56 AM
Don't give me that ****. I did BJJ and a little MT. The fact that I don't want to beat the hell out of my forearms when I lift means nothing.Chubs is right. You don't want to be beating up your elbows, forearms, and wrists unnecessarily when you do kettlebell work - you're asking for injury. Good technique and building up your work capacity will go A LONG WAY towards minimizing impact and any ill effects you might get from it.

Seeing some people do cleans and snatches w. kettlebells w. poor technique is SCARY.

nddillon
04-10-2008, 07:32 AM
If you can't do it without severely striking your forearm...maybe you should lower the weight if you can't control it. With any kettlebell work you are going to have contact with your forearm.

I do cleans with homemade "unbalanced" 86lbs.ers and I don't have any issues.

I just hope the OP got his questions answered

McVein
04-10-2008, 11:54 AM
I will admit that all the fixed weight kettlebells I have used were too light and the adjustable ones would only hold about 70#s therefore I never had a problem with grip and the "feel" of their balance.

I love kettlebells however I think that most people go to light with them for training

A little 40lb kb isnt all that little, how many snatches can you do with one?

ZenMonkey
04-10-2008, 04:08 PM
If you can't do it without severely striking your forearm...maybe you should lower the weight if you can't control it. With any kettlebell work you are going to have contact with your forearm.

I do cleans with homemade "unbalanced" 86lbs.ers and I don't have any issues.

I just hope the OP got his questions answered

yea man, i'm good. just listening to yall chat about them.. I think i might fork over the 200 bucks or so and get a 24 & 32 kger. there is one in between these two at ...62 lbs (as opposed to 53 and 70lbs) ... is there benefit to having one skipped, as in movement variety?

Chubrock
04-10-2008, 06:34 PM
yea man, i'm good. just listening to yall chat about them.. I think i might fork over the 200 bucks or so and get a 24 & 32 kger. there is one in between these two at ...62 lbs (as opposed to 53 and 70lbs) ... is there benefit to having one skipped, as in movement variety?

They didn't make 62lbers when I was using them. I'd actually say get the 53 and the 62 instead of the 32kg.

ZenMonkey
04-10-2008, 08:15 PM
thanks chubbs

Sensei
04-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Get what you want, but you might consider a 16kg and a 24kg (if you're going to get two). There are some exercises, like snatches, TGUs, RKC arm-bar, etc. that you might want to try w. a lighter bell first. Not saying that you can't handle heavy, but it's something to think about.

I love kettlebells however I think that most people go to light with them for trainingI understand where this is coming from, but I'm of the opinion that kettlebells just lend themselves better to certain exercises and training goals and developing maximal strength is not one of them. Not saying you can't get crazy strong with them, but you don't need them to be heavy heavy. JMO.

ZenMonkey
04-11-2008, 10:26 AM
36 and 53 lbs, ok... any immediate benefit of going a step heavier than that? For example, 44 and 62lbs OR 36 and 62... i guess here are my options in lbs

nddillon
04-11-2008, 11:36 AM
I don't know you, your strength, your training or your goals.

That being said I would recommend the 44 and the 70

ZenMonkey
04-11-2008, 11:44 AM
5'10'' 213lbs @ ~13%bf

not really sure what will give the info needed but... here:
squat 335
DL 425
incline DB press 2x100s for reps
dips with 80lbs for reps
weighted pullups with a 60lb DB for reps
OH press 2x75 DBs for reps
Bent over row: 225 for reps
decline situps with 100lb DB for reps
kickbacks: 15lbs

in solid cardio shape
play rugby, judo, yoga
wanna be stronger and in better GPP through different capacities

nddillon
04-11-2008, 11:52 AM
Are you familiar with cleans, jerks and do you do any unilateral work?

ZenMonkey
04-11-2008, 11:59 AM
yea, i do both clean and jerk work and some snatch work when i have someone able to work on form with me. I CnJ this morning 5x3 with 135 ... still working on getting the form down.

i work in lunges and single leg squat work. but besides movements for da quads nothing really.

nddillon
04-11-2008, 12:15 PM
With a Judo background and a good squat and OHP number your core should be very solid; however just starting out with kettlebells and not real deep into the OLY lifts I would still suggest the 44 and 70.

Just like with an new form of GPP or any exercise for that matter don't overtrain those movements just to work on form and technique. They will come to you. I recommend a quick warmup with a lighter dumbbell on kettlebell work, even though they have a much differant feel it is beneficial. I also will recommend doing some of those dumbbell OHP one arm at a time. Many people will recommend buying lower weight kettlebells but until you work with one you will not know how you will handle that work load. I believe it is best to slowly submerge yourself into such training and work into those weights. I would consider your stats in the elite range and by now you know your load limits and overtraining points. Listen to your body, take your time and swing heavy!

ZenMonkey
04-11-2008, 12:20 PM
thanks man, you, chubs and Senesi have been a tremendous help.

nddillon
04-11-2008, 12:38 PM
No problem, man.
Something to consider...go to a sproting goods store with kettlebells (dicksportinggoods now carries GoFit/bodycraft bells, although I have seen none at the store heavier than a 45) and get a feel for them, do some swings and some jerks. If they say anything ask them if they would buy a car before they test drove it.

and sorry to chubrock if my mma comment seemed demeaning. No harm intended!

Chubrock
04-11-2008, 02:36 PM
and sorry to chubrock if my mma comment seemed demeaning. No harm intended!

No problems man.

donaldhilson59
06-29-2014, 08:59 AM
I think so Chubrock.