PDA

View Full Version : Board Press Problems

Xellarz
04-07-2008, 07:24 PM
My problem is I cannot get any semi-consistent workout partners. I don't mind going to a gym and asking some random guy to spot me while I bench...but I really hate asking people I don't know to spot me while I do Board Presses.

What adds to the problem is that I love board presses. Maybe they don't work for EVERYONE...but they definitely work for me. But I'm to the point now that I don't know what to do. I just sat around waiting for over an hour for someone to come spot me for literally two sets. I need help unracking the bar, so it's not just the spotting.

I've thought about this a lot so I'm not sure what else there is to say. I'm obviously going to keep looking for people to lift with me. But I'm wondering if you guys have any other suggestions.

jbrin0tk
04-07-2008, 07:31 PM
You could try sticking the board(s) under your shirt (maybe wear a couple of shirts), or I've heard of people essentially strapping the boards to themselves with jump stretch bands. I've never tried the band "trick," nor do I know exactly how to set it up, but putting them under the shirt has worked pretty well since I've started using boards.

Travis Bell
04-07-2008, 07:37 PM
I use an old worn out knee wrap and tie it to my chest

Rusty
04-07-2008, 07:43 PM
I use an old worn out knee wrap and tie it to my chest

You could try sticking the board(s) under your shirt (maybe wear a couple of shirts), or I've heard of people essentially strapping the boards to themselves with jump stretch bands. I've never tried the band "trick," nor do I know exactly how to set it up, but putting them under the shirt has worked pretty well since I've started using boards.

Where in his post did he say anything about problems with holding the boards? :scratch:

If you don't trust random people to give you a lift off and spot, then learn to bench in a power rack without a lift off, or find reliable training partners. Not much else you can do really.

Sidior
04-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Do you go directly up to people and ask? I can't see why you would have to wait that long.

jbrin0tk
04-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Where in his post did he say anything about problems with holding the boards? :scratch:

If you don't trust random people to give you a lift off and spot, then learn to bench in a power rack without a lift off, or find reliable training partners. Not much else you can do really.

You're right; I'm not certain that he was asking about holding the boards. I was just speaking to what I thought he may have been talking about. I could have it wrong, though. The way I read it was that he was having problems finding two spotters: one for the lift, and one for the boards. Like I said though, I could have his problem completely wrong.

Travis Bell
04-07-2008, 08:49 PM
yeah thats the way I read it as well, since he said he doesnt have a problem asking people to spot him while he benches, but has difficulty when doing board presses.

Rusty
04-07-2008, 09:07 PM
yeah thats the way I read it as well, since he said he doesnt have a problem asking people to spot him while he benches, but has difficulty when doing board presses.

Maybe I read it wrong. I thought he was talking about not trusting a hand-off or a spot from the average gym goer.

If you're having trouble holding boards, a knee wrap, or bungee cord both work very well.

deeder
04-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Find a powerlifting gym to train at... Or at the very least, some powerlifters to train with.

It will make more of a difference than any other advice we could give you here.

Xellarz
04-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Sorry I wasn't clear. I just stuff the boards under my shirt, I don't have a problem doing that. And when I had to wait so long today, I was lifting at my house and waiting for a friend to come over.

As for finding a powerlifting gym, I'll try. I was lifting down at U of I with the Illini Powerlifting Team. That was great. But now I moved back home.

Travis Bell
04-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Maybe I read it wrong. I thought he was talking about not trusting a hand-off or a spot from the average gym goer.

If you're having trouble holding boards, a knee wrap, or bungee cord both work very well.

oh I gottcha, meaning that since his weights were heavier when doing board presses, he didn't trust hand outs or spots. you could be right

When I go back to MI for the summers, I run into this problem. There is no PL gym in my area. There are two guys, one who is a serious PLer, the other who used to be but is now just kinda hap hazard about it (had a kid and new job so and a father in law with health issues so understandable to say the least) so when I throw 750+ on the bar, I'm thinking more about my spotters than I am my lift. haha not good.

So what do I do? I spend 4hrs a week just driving to the closest I could get to quality partners. Every time I get a summer job at an auto shop, its brought up right in the interview "oh and I can't work Fridays" its non negotiable. Hopefully you won't have to drive that far haha but you get my point, you do what it takes

Travis Bell
04-07-2008, 09:52 PM
haha guess you were right Rusty

thewicked
04-07-2008, 10:29 PM
My problem is I cannot get any semi-consistent workout partners. I don't mind going to a gym and asking some random guy to spot me while I bench...but I really hate asking people I don't know to spot me while I do Board Presses.

What adds to the problem is that I love board presses. Maybe they don't work for EVERYONE...but they definitely work for me. But I'm to the point now that I don't know what to do. I just sat around waiting for over an hour for someone to come spot me for literally two sets. I need help unracking the bar, so it's not just the spotting.

I've thought about this a lot so I'm not sure what else there is to say. I'm obviously going to keep looking for people to lift with me. But I'm wondering if you guys have any other suggestions.

I stuff them under my hoodie when I know i'm going to be doing board work..i take my hoodie with me.. .just make sure you still do them in the cage..but make sure you set the bars below the boards so if you do infact miss and bomb out you can roll out from under it and the bars will catch it. No reason to not be able to use boards while training alone..just means there's no one there to slow your ass down! :p

Big LaP
04-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Try to find someone that you see in the gym everytime you go. That person doesn't have to train with you but at least you can ask that person for a lift/spot cause you know you see them there all the time. The funny thing is after awhile they will just know and come to you. they will see the readiness in your face.