PDA

View Full Version : ME Good mornings...

Hazerboy
04-07-2008, 07:33 PM
I feel like every westside article I read mentions good mornings as the greatest lower body max effort exercise you can do -- "It builds the posterior chain LIKE NO OTHER!" Do you think this is true even for the most experience lifters? Wouldn't the best ME movement be just variations of squats and deadlifts, versus something that is just similar (i.e. the good morning)?

I feel like this is the case for me. I max at around 265 for high bar gm and 315 for lb wide stance gm. I have a really hard time keeping my form consistent from time to time, especially without a spotter. Sometimes I wonder if I would be better off just doing a few different squatting/deadlifting variations than a movement that is just similar to a squat or a deadlift, at least until I have some more experience under my belt. Does anyone else break from westside convention and do this?

SDS
04-07-2008, 07:39 PM
I'd rather do SLDL's, but that's just me. GM's are a good movement....I throw them in from time to time, but SLDL's are the staple of my hamstring exercise.

Addison K.
04-07-2008, 09:02 PM
In my experience/opinion, good mornings (both bent- and straight-leg variations) are the best deadlift builders.

IHN,

Addison K.

thewicked
04-07-2008, 10:33 PM
I feel like every westside article I read mentions good mornings as the greatest lower body max effort exercise you can do -- "It builds the posterior chain LIKE NO OTHER!" Do you think this is true even for the most experience lifters? Wouldn't the best ME movement be just variations of squats and deadlifts, versus something that is just similar (i.e. the good morning)?

I feel like this is the case for me. I max at around 265 for high bar gm and 315 for lb wide stance gm. I have a really hard time keeping my form consistent from time to time, especially without a spotter. Sometimes I wonder if I would be better off just doing a few different squatting/deadlifting variations than a movement that is just similar to a squat or a deadlift, at least until I have some more experience under my belt. Does anyone else break from westside convention and do this?

without doing goodmornings...my deadlift and squat would not be where they are today. I started only being able to do 405 awhile back..but as my good mornings got stronger so did damn near everything else. Now my numbers say i'm good for 635...

When doing them you have to remember to stay tight... louie says as long as the bar is out infront of your knees then it's still a good morning instead of a half squat. Just remember to keep looking forward...keep pushing that ass back..and it's okay to bend your knees a little. There's no way you'll be able to handle heavy poundages and be stiff as a board like some people.

Bar position is key..i'd do it as deep as you can keep it at legal depth or your squat bar depth and work from there. too deep and you'll lose it..too high and you'll kill your neck.

Safety bar padded goodies are well worth it too. Just remember to keep pressing your neck back into the bar and lookign forward to keep from falling face first. It'll come...just take your time.. if you have to work in the cage and cut them a little high to build confidence..do it.

I do all mine in my squat/deadlift stance which is roughly the same..since it's what I obviously squat and deadlift with to benefit it as much as possible.

Addison K.
04-07-2008, 11:21 PM
Safety bar padded goodies are well worth it too. Just remember to keep pressing your neck back into the bar and lookign forward to keep from falling face first. It'll come...just take your time.. if you have to work in the cage and cut them a little high to build confidence..do it.

Safety-squat bar GMs are brutal but effective!

I think my neck has grown every time I've done them!

IHN,

Addison K.

Lones Green
04-08-2008, 03:59 AM
Gm's are brutal.

Guido
04-08-2008, 07:43 AM
It's odd, I've seen some guys benefit greatly from doing GM's and others for whom it doesn't hardly do anything.

I can GM around 335 for 1 or 2 with good form and I have a friend who has done GM's with up to 545 with good form (he's a freak!), yet his deadlift is only 10 or 20 lbs higher than mine. He basically stopped doing them because he clearly wasn't getting much carryover. And yes, we both pull in the same style (conventional). Makes no sense to me.

Lones Green
04-08-2008, 08:07 AM
It's odd, I've seen some guys benefit greatly from doing GM's and others for whom it doesn't hardly do anything.

I can GM around 335 for 1 or 2 with good form and I have a friend who has done GM's with up to 545 with good form (he's a freak!), yet his deadlift is only 10 or 20 lbs higher than mine. He basically stopped doing them because he clearly wasn't getting much carryover. And yes, we both pull in the same style (conventional). Makes no sense to me.

there is a video interview with dave tate, where he specifically talks about some exercises being "strength builders" or "strength testers." 2 different things. for him he said GM's are more of a strength test. i guess it goes to show the same things don't work for everyone. pretty interesting really.