PDA

View Full Version : Can't lose weight. What's wrong????

Thunderstorm
04-08-2008, 07:37 AM
I need some serious help here. I've read nutrition articles until I feel like I'm a half assed expert, but I just can't seem to lose any weight.

I'm 45, 5.9, 184 pounds. I'm guessing from looking at the pics here that I'm at 20-24% body fat.

I lift 5 days per week and have for years. One body part fper day. 3-5 exercises per part, 4 sets. I mix up my rep scheme, but usually it's in the 6-8 range. I do deadlifts, squats and bench presses.

For the past 6 weeks, I completely changed my diet. I wrote everything down at first when I stared. I lost a quick 6 pounds, then stalled, then lost 1 pound over the past month. Yes, one pound in a month!

For the past 3 weeks, I've tracked everything on Fitday and my averages are as follows:

Calories: 1783
Fat 42 grams 21%
Carbs 191 grams 42%
Protein 168 grams 36%

I had 2 really bad days during the past 3 weeks, one being my daughter's birthday party where I ate several pieces of cake and some ice cream. I also had a day when I had a value meal at McDonald's, followed by 2 cherry pies, so that is throwing the averages off some. Other than that, I'm eating clean.

The only supplement I take is whey protein which has creatine included in it. I make my own protein bars with oats, reduced fat pb, whey protein, a little milk and a little Hershey's syrup (one teaspoon).

My cardio is 5 days a week on the elliptical for 45 minutes a day with an hour on Saturday. One day I will keep my heart rate around 65-70%, the next day I will keep it above 70%. On the longer Saturday, I keep it in the low range. I take a day off completely from working out and from doing cardio.

Despite all the changes, I'm not losing any weight other than that one pound. My pants aren't more loose and the shorts I tried on yesterday that were tight last year are still tight. I have a weight/fat scale at home and other than the pound weight loss, the fat percentage hasn't changed. The hand held one at the gym showed a fat loss of 1.3% over the past 6 weeks. I don't see any change when looking in the mirror or from the pics I took.

As you can imagine, I'm pretty frustrated. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I know my carbs may be a little high, but my calorie deficit is such that I should be losing more weight, especially since I am doing all that cardio.

On word.........

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bjohnso
04-08-2008, 07:59 AM
I need some serious help here. I've read nutrition articles until I feel like I'm a half assed expert, but I just can't seem to lose any weight.

I'm 45, 5.9, 184 pounds. I'm guessing from looking at the pics here that I'm at 20-24% body fat.

I lift 5 days per week and have for years. One body part fper day. 3-5 exercises per part, 4 sets. I mix up my rep scheme, but usually it's in the 6-8 range. I do deadlifts, squats and bench presses.

Five days a week is a bit much IMO. Check out WBB1.1 or BGB. Those are solid routines and are only 3 or 4 days a week.

For the past 6 weeks, I completely changed my diet. I wrote everything down at first when I stared. I lost a quick 6 pounds, then stalled, then lost 1 pound over the past month. Yes, one pound in a month!

The 6 pounds may have been water weight.

For the past 3 weeks, I've tracked everything on Fitday and my averages are as follows:

Calories: 1783
Fat 42 grams 21%
Carbs 191 grams 42%
Protein 168 grams 36%

Your protein and fat are too low I think. Carbs may be a bit high. Shoot for at least 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight, and .5g of fat per pound of bodyweight. So at least 184g of protein a day and 92g of fat. Some people go by lean bodymass (everything but fat), so if you want you can calculate that using your bodyfat percentage.

I had 2 really bad days during the past 3 weeks, one being my daughter's birthday party where I ate several pieces of cake and some ice cream. I also had a day when I had a value meal at McDonald's, followed by 2 cherry pies, so that is throwing the averages off some. Other than that, I'm eating clean.

2 days isn't really going to do anything.

The only supplement I take is whey protein which has creatine included in it. I make my own protein bars with oats, reduced fat pb, whey protein, a little milk and a little Hershey's syrup (one teaspoon).

Liquid whey might not be such a great idea on a cut since it's not very filling. I don't know if you are having hunger problems, it's just an assumption I'm making.

My cardio is 5 days a week on the elliptical for 45 minutes a day with an hour on Saturday. One day I will keep my heart rate around 65-70%, the next day I will keep it above 70%. On the longer Saturday, I keep it in the low range. I take a day off completely from working out and from doing cardio.

Way too much cardio IMO. Steady state cardio is catabolic. Do a search for HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training).

Despite all the changes, I'm not losing any weight other than that one pound. My pants aren't more loose and the shorts I tried on yesterday that were tight last year are still tight. I have a weight/fat scale at home and other than the pound weight loss, the fat percentage hasn't changed. The hand held one at the gym showed a fat loss of 1.3% over the past 6 weeks. I don't see any change when looking in the mirror or from the pics I took.

You wouldn't be able to a 1.3% change with the naked eye, even assuming thta the calipers are accurate (which they probably aren't).

As you can imagine, I'm pretty frustrated. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I know my carbs may be a little high, but my calorie deficit is such that I should be losing more weight, especially since I am doing all that cardio.

On word.........

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My comments are in bold.