PDA

View Full Version : cutting..fats or carbs

HedgeHawg
03-19-2002, 10:29 AM
It seems logical to me that during a cutting cycle you would want to cut back your fat to keep your body from storing it and gaining weight, but a lot of what i read on here says to cut the carbs and eat higher amounts of fat and protien. Why is this?
someone help the new guy

Tryska
03-19-2002, 10:36 AM
i'm gonna start helping you by moving this over to diet and nutrition first. ;)

hemants
03-19-2002, 10:51 AM
By far the most important thing is to lower your overall caloric intake. Since fat has the most calories, cutting fat is usually recommended to the masses who don't really analyze their calories very carefully.

However, you can achieve just as much if not more by limiting your high glycemic carbs and simple sugar intake.

But the bottom line is if you don't expend more calories than you ingest, you will not lose weight.

HedgeHawg
03-19-2002, 10:59 AM
So what you are saying is that by cutting calories overall, but cutting carbs more, i will force my body to burn stored fat as fuel?
If that is the case, what about the fat that i am taking in as part of my diet? Won't my body prefer to use it as fuel over the stored fat........but if I am taking in less calories, I would use both, right????????

notSoBig Guy
03-19-2002, 11:28 AM
I cut fat, I go really low when cutting (less than 50 grams a day), and my carbs are still relatively high (about 400 grams a day), works well with me, and I do cardio too.

There's this ever so popular CKD diet, which doesn't look very healthy at all.

Tryska
03-19-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by HedgeHawg

If that is the case, what about the fat that i am taking in as part of my diet? Won't my body prefer to use it as fuel over the stored fat........but if I am taking in less calories, I would use both, right????????

1. if you are in a caloric deficit, then your body will need over and bove the dietary fat you consume, for feul.

2. by keeping adequate dietary fat, you activate lipases (fat enzymes), flowing through your blood stream, making it easier to breakdown fat-stores for fuel as well (to make up for the caloric deficit)

EMan
03-19-2002, 08:37 PM
What I did is i found my daily caloric intake though various web based calculators:
ie. http://www.stevenscreek.com/goodies/calories.shtml

Then use www.fitday.com to record your daily diet.

For my cutting diet i aim for Protein 50% - Carbs 20% - Fat 30%. Mind you i eat ONLY complex carbs and those really good fats that are good for ya =) My energy level is good and fat is falling off =) Might wanna experiment with the carb and fat level.. some people say that carbs 30% fat 20% is good.. or even protein 40, carbs 30, fat 30 also works

Main thing though is make sure you got that -500 daily calorie deficit.

Smoothie
03-19-2002, 09:54 PM
What kind of fats should I be eating and from what sources. I try to stay at about the 60-70gr a day mark.

TFXP-Zeke01
03-19-2002, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Smoothie
What kind of fats should I be eating and from what sources. I try to stay at about the 60-70gr a day mark.

I would get the majority from EFA's(Essential Fatty Acids: mono and polyunsaturated). Keep the saturated fats minimal.

Smoothie
03-20-2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by TFXP-Zeke01

I would get the majority from EFA's(Essential Fatty Acids: mono and polyunsaturated). Keep the saturated fats minimal.

I do take about 2-3 teaspoons of flax oil a day, the rest are from foods, not sure what kind that is.