PDA

View Full Version : Miracle whip = healthy fat?

mickyjune26
04-11-2008, 09:32 AM
Looking at the nutrition label for the latest version of reg Miracle whip, it has the following nutrients.

1 TB
3 g fat
0 sat fat
0 trans fat
1.5 polyunsaturated
.5 monounsaturated.

2 g carbs
0 dietary
1 sugar

Aren't poly and mono healthy fats? Could I consider this a healthy fat source?

BFGUITAR
04-11-2008, 09:43 AM
Micky what do you think? lol

mickyjune26
04-11-2008, 10:39 AM
lol - i know! i know! my gut (both instinct and size) tells me no....but just to throw something around... this is from WBBs article on Mmmmmm.....fat!!

What am I missing here?

"75g total dietary fat daily

• 25g saturated fat

• 25g polyunsaturated fat MAX, half from Omega-6, half from Omega-3

o 2-3g of this from the combined EPA/DHA contained in 6-10g of fish oil (37)

• The rest coming from monounsaturated fat

If 10g of your fat comes from fish oil, you’ll ensure that at least 3g of your PUFAs come from Omega-3, which will do much to improve your ratio of Omega-3 to Omega-6, particularly if you keep the rest of your PUFA consumption down to a dull roar.

Now stop reading and go eat your peanut butter."

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=284

mickyjune26
04-11-2008, 10:40 AM
....now stop reading and go eat your miracle whip, lol

BFGUITAR
04-11-2008, 10:48 AM
It has healthy fats. Although personally I would rather use actual mayo.

Stray
04-11-2008, 12:16 PM
I wouldn't consider anything with high fructose corn syrup as a healthy alternative

curiosity
04-12-2008, 06:50 AM
No they are not healthy fats, they are processed and Damaged fats

Steer clear of them with a passion. Same goes for any of these products made with poly and mono fats that have been processed to the hilt

BFGUITAR
04-12-2008, 09:10 AM
No they are not healthy fats, they are processed and Damaged fats

Steer clear of them with a passion. Same goes for any of these products made with poly and mono fats that have been processed to the hilt

How are they damaged? From what I know, they dont go through some cooking process. I could be wrong.

Invain
04-12-2008, 10:03 AM
I have no clue how Kraft makes Miracle Whip, but if you make your own mayo it's definitely healthy. Look up the ingredients, egg, oil, vinegar, mustard, etc.

curiosity
04-12-2008, 10:13 AM
How are they damaged? From what I know, they dont go through some cooking process. I could be wrong.
Things like margarine and miracle whip contain damaged fats due to the processes used industrially used to make them. Damaged fats smell rotten but they also have a deodorising process to mask this

A safe rule i always follow is if it doesn't look like its original form them steer clear of it. I would say if hes using it to make sandwiches with he would be better off using some natural yogurt with a bit of lemon juice and some black pepper.

curiosity
04-12-2008, 10:14 AM
I have no clue how Kraft makes Miracle Whip, but if you make your own mayo it's definitely healthy. Look up the ingredients, egg, oil, vinegar, mustard, etc.
Lots of chemicals, thickeners and thats about it really. If you want something to wonder about try getting your head round how they make fat free margarine :omg:

BFGUITAR
04-12-2008, 12:22 PM
Things like margarine and miracle whip contain damaged fats due to the processes used industrially used to make them. Damaged fats smell rotten but they also have a deodorising process to mask this

A safe rule i always follow is if it doesn't look like its original form them steer clear of it. I would say if hes using it to make sandwiches with he would be better off using some natural yogurt with a bit of lemon juice and some black pepper.

Margarine is a lot different. When they add in H2 the oil heats up. The chemical composition of the molecules change. Here from what I know they just add oil with other chemical compounds. The oil itself does not change in composition.

mickyjune26
04-13-2008, 09:29 PM

Natty yogurt, lemon juice and black pepper tastes like miracle whip? I don't know...if it ain't got that tangy zip...i'm thinkin it's not Miracle Whip...lol

Margarine is a lot different. When they add in H2 the oil heats up. The chemical composition of the molecules change. Here from what I know they just add oil with other chemical compounds. The oil itself does not change in composition.

exactly. We're talking about liquid oils here, not hard oils (that's how i remember the goods from the bads).

Still...it does have 1 g sugar per tablespoon which I gotta determine is in my carb macros.

So conclusion is that miracle whip isn't that bad, ignoring the sugars aspect. ...but don't be reaching for it as THE source for my healthy fats, lol.

curiosity
04-14-2008, 07:42 AM
Hard oils are fine. Look at coconut oil and butter :)

In conclusion miracle whip is a bad source of calories period. Again wont make or break your gains/losses or ruin your diet/health. Its just something i avoid from personal preference as all damaged fats in my diet affect my skin rather harshly

Also stop being so pedantic about 1g of sugar, geez

mickyjune26
04-14-2008, 10:25 PM
lol -what does pedantic mean? I'm just a powerlifter man. Give me a break haaha.

How are they damaged? What process do they go through? Their not cooked over high temperatures, like trans fat...