PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian

Michigan
04-11-2008, 09:44 AM
I've been of the weight lifting thing for a while due to a fracture in my wrist. I'm about to start back up again. One thing that i noticed when i stopped working out was that i certainly cut back on all the calories i was taking in when i was lifting. Also, I stopped eating most meats and started to eat more veggies. My question is, for a vegetarian how hard would it be to make gains? There are plenty of veggies that have enormous amounts of protein in them...the only difficult thing with a veggie diet is taking in calories. anyways...please give me some advice.

thanks

BFGUITAR
04-11-2008, 10:04 AM
If you can eat cheese and eggs I would say base your diet on that.

Beans have a lot of protein but the only problem is that your going to have to eat a lot of them. If you can add eggs/milk to your diet it would make things a lot easier.

getfit
04-11-2008, 02:26 PM
I'm vegetarian.No problem getting in protein.

BFGUITAR
04-11-2008, 03:07 PM

If I weighed as much as you neither would I :P

Jilla82
04-12-2008, 05:52 AM
though I have just started back lifting...I am now a veggie. My gains have been steady still though.

Like someone else said base your diet around eggs, cheese, and make sure to drink protein drinks

curiosity
04-12-2008, 06:44 AM
Lentils, Legumes, TVP (soya mince), Eggs and Dairy will be easy to get in the protein down you

I know loads of veggies who grow just fine without meat in their diet and with plenty of variation too

Fixxit
04-13-2008, 08:59 PM
EAAs, BCAAs.
Just make sure you are getting complete proteins in your diet. ohh and EAT FISH! (cause the don't have any feelings. LOL)

There are plenty of vegetarian websites that can help you with the "Complete" protein thingy.

curiosity
04-14-2008, 07:44 AM
How does eating fish make you a vegetarian Fixxit? Thats pescatarian not vegetarian ;)

Fixxit
04-16-2008, 03:41 PM
LOL, I had to look that one up.

pesco-vegetarian... Is that better?

My point comes from knowing alot of uneducated vegetarians. Hippy culture mostly. Most of them have no clue what a complete protein is, and eat at will. Many of them are feeble minded, emaciated freaks that think they are doing thier body good by not eating the flesh of animals, "animals have feelings too". Bad skin, low muscle mass and weak minds are just the first clues that thier diet sucks.

With that said, anybody seriously thinking of becomming a vegetarian should at least study about what it really takes to keep your diet up properly.

Disclaimer: I am not saying a vegetarian diet is wrong, bad, or any thing negative at all. Just do your homework before you do more harm than good.

curiosity
04-18-2008, 02:38 AM
LOL, I had to look that one up.
pesco-vegetarian... Is that better?

My point comes from knowing alot of uneducated vegetarians. Hippy culture mostly. Most of them have no clue what a complete protein is, and eat at will. Many of them are feeble minded, emaciated freaks that think they are doing thier body good by not eating the flesh of animals, "animals have feelings too". Bad skin, low muscle mass and weak minds are just the first clues that thier diet sucks.

With that said, anybody seriously thinking of becomming a vegetarian should at least study about what it really takes to keep your diet up properly.

Disclaimer: I am not saying a vegetarian diet is wrong, bad, or any thing negative at all. Just do your homework before you do more harm than good.
You say tomato, say tomaato, yadda yadda ;)

I believe youre on about the non bodybuilding veggies out there, most people who indulge in the hobby will generally be clued up. I know a veggie BB'er and hes simply massive with none of the issues you have described above

ProLogic
04-19-2008, 05:45 PM
I don't think I could ever go with out meat.. I need my testosterone.

RhodeHouse
04-20-2008, 07:58 AM
Eat meat. It's what's for dinner. Our bodies want dead animals and fruits/vegetables. You're half way there.

You're gonna have a hard time gaining weight without eating bulls and pigs. Chicken's necks are too small, so stay away from them.

Hemera
04-22-2008, 11:21 AM
ANy vegan ideas LOL? I would love to go raw again.

John_Matrix
04-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Eating vegatables is more healthy than eating meat.

Max Thunder
04-22-2008, 12:17 PM
What's the point of these pesco-ovo-lacto-vegetarians. I mean you could be totally carnivorous, eating a diet of fish, milk and eggs, and call yourself a vegetarian?

Personally I can't make any recommendation, because I don't eat any vegetation other than herbal teas.

John_Matrix
04-22-2008, 12:19 PM
Vegatarians only eat vegatables.

RhodeHouse
04-22-2008, 01:03 PM
Eating vegatables is more healthy than eating meat.

I like your signature - in reference to Arnold's Character in Commando? I hope...

As for your statement, think about this. What do cows/bulls eat? Lots of grass and hay, right? Those are vegetables. So, vegetables make the cow/bull. How can eating meat not be healthy. The cow/bull is built by the large quantities of grass (vegetables) that it eats it's entire life.

And, to add to this, fried chicken. Everything is now fried in VEGETABLE oil. How can it be bad for you if the substance that cooks it, is made from vegetables?

I know, they use all kinds of steroids in the animals. Steroids make them big. So, how can that be bad for us? And, they fertilize the grass that the cows/bulls eat, along with the vegetable fields that produce your food of choice. So, you can't use the, "it's full of chemicals" argument. Everything is full of chemicals nowadays.

Eat meat. That's how the cavemen ate. It's what God intended.

Fixxit
04-25-2008, 07:18 PM
You say tomato, say tomaato, yadda yadda ;)

I believe youre on about the non bodybuilding veggies out there, most people who indulge in the hobby will generally be clued up. I know a ('A' as in single, one uno...)veggie BB'er and hes simply massive with none of the issues you have described above

Yeah, umm... read the disclaimer.

I grew up with Seventh Day Adventist parents, and worse yet they forced me to go to the parochial school to boot. I grew up on vegetarian foods and our family was actually vegan for 2 years. I saw alot of college educated people eat crappy diets. Pale chalky skin, feeble minds, and either too skinny or way too much belly fat from cramming crappy macro ratios down thier throat for years. You should have seen our cafateria food choices, it would make even the most devout vegan christian beg for a pig to slaughter.

My point was simple, sorry you missed it.

McIrish
04-27-2008, 06:39 AM
Yeah, umm... read the disclaimer.

I grew up with Seventh Day Adventist parents, and worse yet they forced me to go to the parochial school to boot. I grew up on vegetarian foods and our family was actually vegan for 2 years. I saw alot of college educated people eat crappy diets. Pale chalky skin, feeble minds, and either too skinny or way too much belly fat from cramming crappy macro ratios down thier throat for years. You should have seen our cafateria food choices, it would make even the most devout vegan christian beg for a pig to slaughter.

My point was simple, sorry you missed it.

Well, not to shoot you down entirely, Fixx, but your cafeteria sucking does not necessarily imply that all vegetarians will have high belly fat and sallow complexions :hello: Get a rounded diet and you'll be fine - tons of grains and veggies have moderate protein content (quinoa comes to mind?) and you'll be fine. Hell, eat red beans and rice and get all the complete proteins you need?

I think too often people confuse vegetarian with healthy. There's a TON of non-meat products that you can eat that are atrocious for you... how about brie cheese and whole milk with every single meal? Would that be conducive to developing the body you want? :) Probably not...

Fixxit
04-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Well, not to shoot you down entirely, Fixx, but your cafeteria sucking does not necessarily imply that all vegetarians will have high belly fat and sallow complexions :hello: Get a rounded diet and you'll be fine - tons of grains and veggies have moderate protein content (quinoa comes to mind?) and you'll be fine. Hell, eat red beans and rice and get all the complete proteins you need?

I think too often people confuse vegetarian with healthy. There's a TON of non-meat products that you can eat that are atrocious for you... how about brie cheese and whole milk with every single meal? Would that be conducive to developing the body you want? :) Probably not...

You didn't shoot me down, you simply failed to read all my posts. What you did do is prove my point.

May be a better way to continue this discussion would be to ask a few simple questions...

Getfit.
Where do you get your bulk of proteins for the day?
How much do you weigh?
How much protein do you consume on a daily basis?