PDA

View Full Version : looking at briefs for squatting...

thewicked
04-11-2008, 04:52 PM
posting this on another forum but wanted to throw it out to you guys as well since there's more of a powerlifting community here than on the other site. I'm looking into getting a pair of single ply briefs to start squatting heavier numbers in to get used to supporting heavier ****. I've got a few questions though in regards to the said briefs...first... what do you think of these?

http://www.inzernet.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=GROOVE

second...how much benefit will my RAW squat get out of using these from time to time? I'm still right at 600 or a little above it for a HARD single and wnat to start working past that once my elbow starts feeling better. How exactly do these work? They spring you out of the bottom? Kinda like a bench shirt but for your ass? How much increase in squat numbers am I looking at here? Sorry for my ignorance...

I'd love any and all advice..this is as much GEAR as i'm ever going to use and have been debating on getting them for a long time.

Ben Moore
04-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Those will not give you anything more than some hip support. Take a look at the power pants if you want something that will have a little carryover.

I like the Frantz better but I'm biased since I own them.

thewicked
04-11-2008, 05:26 PM
i guess my number one question would be... will they help my RAW numbers at all?

strongkid963
04-11-2008, 05:33 PM
I like the Frantz better but I'm biased since I own them.
x2 i get a lot out of there 2 ply briefs

Lones Green
04-11-2008, 06:31 PM
i guess my number one question would be... will they help my RAW numbers at all?

frantz are good to start with. inzer power pants i've also heard good things about. those groove briefs we call inzer diapers, not many people like em. metal pro briefs are good too. you're going to be more confident with weight on your back raw, if you've had more on your back even with briefs on. there are different opinions on if geared squatting helps out raw squatting.

Keith
04-11-2008, 06:35 PM
there are different opinions on if geared squatting helps out raw squatting.

I'd like to hear more on this.

I don't see a lot of discussion on this in here... unless I've missed it.

Lones Green
04-11-2008, 06:42 PM
I'd like to hear more on this.

I don't see a lot of discussion on this in here... unless I've missed it.

check elite FTS. think about it. if you squat 315 raw, and you squat 405 in briefs...squatting 315 isn't really as big of a deal as it was prior to you having 405 on your back, and squatting it. briefs or not. chris clark has talked about this i believe.

Keith
04-11-2008, 06:46 PM
check elite FTS. think about it. if you squat 315 raw, and you squat 405 in briefs...squatting 315 isn't really as big of a deal as it was prior to you having 405 on your back, and squatting it. briefs or not. chris clark has talked about this i believe.

Yeah, I'm sure it's a much better way to prep your CNS for heavier loads, but that's all I can see it doing for you..

Sensei
04-11-2008, 06:56 PM
posting this on another forum but wanted to throw it out to you guys as well since there's more of a powerlifting community here than on the other site. I'm looking into getting a pair of single ply briefs to start squatting heavier numbers in to get used to supporting heavier ****. I've got a few questions though in regards to the said briefs...first... what do you think of these?

http://www.inzernet.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=GROOVE

second...how much benefit will my RAW squat get out of using these from time to time? I'm still right at 600 or a little above it for a HARD single and wnat to start working past that once my elbow starts feeling better. How exactly do these work? They spring you out of the bottom? Kinda like a bench shirt but for your ass? How much increase in squat numbers am I looking at here? Sorry for my ignorance...

I'd love any and all advice..this is as much GEAR as i'm ever going to use and have been debating on getting them for a long time.
Dude, whatever you do, DO NOT BUY THE INZER GROOVE BRIEFS. They suck donkey dill. Why do they suck? Because all they do is cut the crap out of your legs and groin. Might as well wear a very tight and uncomfortable pair of sturdy whitey-tighties.

If you're going to bother to buy briefs, at least get a pair of decent ones that will give you some support. They will be worth the extra $$. I'm sorry I can't give you advice on a good pair of single-ply briefs, because I've never tried any that were worth recommending - not saying there aren't any, just that I haven't tried them.

I've heard great things about Titan Boss briefs. I like the Metal Pro briefs. I'm sure there are others - it's been a while since I've looked into them.

Sensei
04-11-2008, 07:03 PM
Maybe, maybe not. If you are coming back from an injury and you wear a pair of briefs or suit bottoms to give some extra support, it certainly may.

Giving you a little extra confidence when you go back to hit heavier numbers raw is not something you can overestimate IMO.

If you use the briefs only when you are getting used to the groove of them, or for your heaviest sets (the sets heavier than what you'd generally hit raw), there is really no reason to feel like you are developing a "equipment dependency". So, the argument that you might make your raw squat worse is not valid IMO.

Travis Bell
04-11-2008, 07:13 PM
I can't comment on helping your squat numbers since I don't compete in the squat, but benching in a shirt definatly helps my raw stuff big time. After 3 weeks in the shirt, I hit a huge PR this week raw

I hit my first 455 bench after being in the shirt for 2 months straight.

Chris Rodgers
04-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Dude, whatever you do, DO NOT BUY THE INZER GROOVE BRIEFS. They suck donkey dill. Why do they suck? Because all they do is cut the crap out of your legs and groin. Might as well wear a very tight and uncomfortable pair of sturdy whitey-tighties.

If you're going to bother to buy briefs, at least get a pair of decent ones that will give you some support. They will be worth the extra $$. I'm sorry I can't give you advice on a good pair of single-ply briefs, because I've never tried any that were worth recommending - not saying there aren't any, just that I haven't tried them.

I've heard great things about Titan Boss briefs. I like the Metal Pro briefs. I'm sure there are others - it's been a while since I've looked into them.

:withstupi:

All Metal briefs are good.

Your best bet if you want single ply only would be to get a single ply suit and just leave the straps down. In that case you would have a lot to choose from. Inzer, Metal, Titan all make good single ply suits.

bigmoney
04-12-2008, 03:11 PM
the general consensus from my training partners is that the metal pro briefs are a great pair to start out with!

thewicked
04-13-2008, 09:42 PM
thanks guys..i think i'm going to just look at a single ply suit and just working with the straps down..

and just incase I ever decide to do a singly ply fed meet...

Lones Green
04-14-2008, 07:33 AM
thanks guys..i think i'm going to just look at a single ply suit and just working with the straps down..

and just incase I ever decide to do a singly ply fed meet...

the v-type has done me well.