PDA

View Full Version : Finally Broke 1000+

Detard
04-12-2008, 04:40 PM
My new squat suit came in on thursday (metal v-type) and I gave it a go on friday. I started out by working to a high box, straps down, then went lower and lower, then put straps up and did the same thing, then finally took the box away. I worked up to it like this. I'm freakin PUMPED!!!!

Squats
warmups
135x10
225x3
*add v-type squatter, 14'' box*
275x1
295x1
315x1
335x1 +10lb PR all time
*straps up*, 12.25'' box*
345x1
365x1
385x0 - lost groove
*no box, add wraps*
385x1 ++60lb PR all time!!

Deadlift sumo - straps up + wraps
315x1
365x1 absolutely smoked
405x1 +25lb PR smokeshow

I'm really happy that I pulled 4pps, and hit a total of 1020.

I have a meet on May 4th that ive been training for. I'm going to squat 3-4 more times in the suit, hitting my opener on the 3rd session, then either doing 1 more light session with straps down, or just going raw before the meet. I'm not benching in a shirt since I didnt have the money to buy it at the time but I plan on getting one after the meet (just got a new job) and maybe competing again in december in full gear. I met Louis Levesque today at the CPU Nationals and he took all my measurements and stuff for an F6 or Fury.

I have a couple questions about when it comes to meet day. When i'm warming up, how should I do it? If I plan to open with a geared 345 squat, raw 205 bench, geared 385 deadlift, what should I be warming up with in the back?

Btw, i'll be competing at 82.5kg, sub-junior

Anyways, thanks in advance.

Detard
04-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Heres a video of 385 squat (maybe was a little high?), 220 bench, 405 deadlift. I pressed 230 in the past but i'm working back up from a shoulder injury.

EDIT::: whoops forgot the video lol

JF3oDBksU_0

nhlfan
04-12-2008, 04:45 PM
atta boy detard!

you'll have to pause that bench in competition though

Detard
04-12-2008, 04:54 PM
Yeah I found that out today while I was watching the meet. I'll work on that the next 3 weeks

RedSpikeyThing
04-12-2008, 04:55 PM
awesome ****ing work!!

BFGUITAR
04-12-2008, 04:57 PM
Gj! Im not far!

ryuage
04-12-2008, 05:22 PM
good job... time for 2000 now

Lones Green
04-12-2008, 06:53 PM
that squat was a LITTLE high, you might want to go lower just so its no question you'll get a good lift. but overall it looked good. you might want to try to squat on a monolift at least once before your meet, it's a different ball game. in the warm up room you want to do triples, doubles and hit your opener. some other tips...eat a big breakfast, sip on some waxy maize/protein, or mashed up sweet potatoes during the meet. also, caffeine is your friend :)

Klotz
04-12-2008, 07:07 PM
Nice work. 1000 is a big milestone.

Except your deadlift doesn't count because it's sumo:p

Travis Bell
04-12-2008, 08:04 PM
nice work man

warmups are a personal choice really. Find out what order you are in and what flight and that will really play into when you warm up. Warm up similar to how you do in the gm, start straps down, then put straps up and stop somewhere between 30-50lbs from your first attempt.

I'll stop my warmups 50lbs from my first and then make a 30-50lb jump to my second and play the third by ear, but take it as you feel

Rusty
04-12-2008, 09:58 PM
you might want to try to squat on a monolift at least once before your meet, it's a different ball game.

No monolifts. The squats are walked out.

Chris Rodgers
04-12-2008, 10:00 PM
Nice PRs Detard! I would warm up at a meet the same way you warm up for a max.

Keith
04-13-2008, 11:31 AM
**** you for getting there before me. It was expected, though.

deeder
04-13-2008, 12:05 PM
Here's how I would warm up for a 345 opener.

bar x as many as it takes to get your hips feeling a little looser.
135lbs x 3
185lbs x 1
225lbs x 1 -- add belt
255lbs x 1 -- knee wraps
300lbs x 1 -- straps down and wraps

I don't like to do straps up in the warm up room. It takes too much out of me and I have a really hard time getting depth even with my opener so going lighter with straps up just doesn't make sense to me. There are a lot of really strong guys in Ontario that you should be hooking up with. You'll get so much more than 60lbs out of that suit once you learn to use it right :ninja: :evillaugh:

Detard
04-13-2008, 03:06 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys. Appreciate it. Do you guys do anything to stay warm after a lift? or just wait until your next lift? (between first squat, second squat, third squat...etc)

Deeder - You wouldnt happen to have any names of the guys your talking about do you? I've found a couple gyms that are full of strong guys (team barbarian, the anvil) but I havent got in contact with anyone.

deeder
04-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys. Appreciate it. Do you guys do anything to stay warm after a lift? or just wait until your next lift? (between first squat, second squat, third squat...etc)

Deeder - You wouldnt happen to have any names of the guys your talking about do you? I've found a couple gyms that are full of strong guys (team barbarian, the anvil) but I havent got in contact with anyone.

I can't speak for anybody else, but the time between lifts is just right for me. I am dripping with sweat by the time I wrap my knees and get up to the platform. It's just enough time for me to get my breath back and wrap my knees for the next attempt. Some people put a sweater on between attempts.

Shawn O'Halloran is the first name that pops in to my head. He's a huge bencher (he squats and pulls pretty damn well too!) and from the little bit that I've talked to him he seems like he's really willing to help out new lifters. He actually helped Kristen with her bench shirt when she lifted on Thursday.

Jorge Sanchez
04-13-2008, 03:26 PM
That's a huge milestone. Congratulations! Good luck at your meet.

BFGUITAR
04-13-2008, 05:13 PM
Deeder do you think it is possible for me to meet him/anyone in Toronto that you may know? Really, even if its just to get some pointers im down for it. Ill even pay them! It will probably be worth it.

Guido
04-13-2008, 06:43 PM
Solid, man. The one thing I might suggest, though, is to keep that bar closer to your legs on the DL. Use some baby powder on them and let the bar slide right up. You'll pull more weight that way, too.

Nice job!

Detard
04-13-2008, 06:58 PM
I can't speak for anybody else, but the time between lifts is just right for me. I am dripping with sweat by the time I wrap my knees and get up to the platform. It's just enough time for me to get my breath back and wrap my knees for the next attempt. Some people put a sweater on between attempts.

Shawn O'Halloran is the first name that pops in to my head. He's a huge bencher (he squats and pulls pretty damn well too!) and from the little bit that I've talked to him he seems like he's really willing to help out new lifters. He actually helped Kristen with her bench shirt when she lifted on Thursday.

Cool man, I remember him at the meet, frickin beast. I actually just found his website and I sent him an email. We'll see what happens.

That's a huge milestone. Congratulations! Good luck at your meet.

Thanks man

Solid, man. The one thing I might suggest, though, is to keep that bar closer to your legs on the DL. Use some baby powder on them and let the bar slide right up. You'll pull more weight that way, too.

Nice job!

Thanks alot. I'll give the baby powder a try. I think I may try and find some cheap socks that are similar to deadlift socks aswell.

Guido
04-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Thanks alot. I'll give the baby powder a try. I think I may try and find some cheap socks that are similar to deadlift socks aswell.Yep, that would definitely help, too. When you get the money you can get some Metal DL socks. They work great!

CastedBaran
04-13-2008, 07:09 PM
Congrats man, I hit the 1000 a couple weeks ago at school. My coach wants me to compete in the junior power lifting meet because I'm strong for a 170 pound guy. ( at least he says so) It feels good to hit the 1000, I'm sure you can agree to that.

:P

thewicked
04-13-2008, 09:38 PM
just one more stepping stone on the way to the top man! AWESOME lifting bro!

deeder
04-13-2008, 09:39 PM
If you're interested in hooking up with some IPF lifters from Canada (or the USA) check out www.powerlifting.ca There's a link on there to the CPU and USAPL forums.

I was also trying to think of other strong mofos from Ontario and a couple more names came to mind: Eric Gagnon, Jeff Becker and Jamie Emberley. I think Eric Gagnon has a powerlifting club/team in Ottawa. Not sure where the other two are from but I know they are Ontarioans.

Detard
04-14-2008, 11:23 AM
I'd love to train with anyone that is more knowledgeable than me and is somewhat close. As of right now I have no formal training partners other than my dad who lifts with me sometimes. I lift with Rusty every now and then so I think he'll help me out at the meet with my attempts and stuff.

Thanks everyone!

vdizenzo
04-14-2008, 11:44 AM
Congrats. That's so f'ing cool. Keep on SFW!

Detard
04-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Congrats. That's so f'ing cool. Keep on SFW!

Thanks alot