PDA

View Full Version : Bench Competition

lostboyrufio
04-13-2008, 09:47 AM
So I was working out at the Rec Center at my school the other day and saw a flyer for a bench competition that's in two weeks. I know that it's too late to work a program to focus solely on doing well in it but I was wondering how I should workout the next two weeks to at least do decently in it since I've never done a bench-off before.

Thanks!

ThomasG
04-13-2008, 10:55 AM
O, Well, I know exactly what you should do!

O, wait you didnt even tell us what the competition is going to be doing.

lostboyrufio
04-13-2008, 10:59 AM
One rep max. Sorry for not being clearer, I thought the title 'bench competition' was enough.

So what should I do to prepare?

Lones Green
04-13-2008, 11:22 AM
train like normal for a week and take the next off, then the meet.

drew
04-14-2008, 06:05 AM
Don't really do anything differently, just go and bench. Open with something you can get on your worst day and go from there.

lostboyrufio
04-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah I'm really disappointed I didn't find out earlier but oh well. As for meet day, you think I should take caffeine pills or something? I have a full day of class that day and want to be fresh for my lifts. I never took them before though.

Detard
04-14-2008, 03:43 PM
Make sure you rest well the night before and make sure you eat a ton to keep your energy levels up.

Jared Enderton
04-14-2008, 05:26 PM
yeah, dont overdo it. the week of dont do any upper body

nhlfan
04-14-2008, 07:10 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah I'm really disappointed I didn't find out earlier but oh well. As for meet day, you think I should take caffeine pills or something? I have a full day of class that day and want to be fresh for my lifts. I never took them before though.

I wouldn't bother with them if you've never used them before.

drew
04-15-2008, 05:36 AM

Save that for another time. Drink some coffee in the morning and make sure to eat and drink plenty throughout the day. Make sure to eat a big dinner and get a full nights rest the night before.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
04-15-2008, 08:04 AM
So I was working out at the Rec Center at my school the other day and saw a flyer for a bench competition that's in two weeks. I know that it's too late to work a program to focus solely on doing well in it but I was wondering how I should workout the next two weeks to at least do decently in it since I've never done a bench-off before.

Thanks!

1. Take a week off before the meet.

2. Last heavy bp workout should be 7-10 days before your meet.

3. Don't take a max single, but do a triple rep.

4. Your opener should be a weight that you can easily do for 3 reps.

5. Go to the rules meeting & ask questions.

6. Increase your protein intake.

7. Bring a cooler with protein shake, snacks, fruit, H20,etc.

8. A warm up is a warm up, not a workout.

9. Think positive & have fun.

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
http://www.atlargenutrition.com/fivepiecepuzzle.php
GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?

lostboyrufio
04-15-2008, 09:46 AM
Thanks guys! I appreciate all the information. The competition isn't going to be anywhere near some of the meets you guys enter but competition is competition. Hopefully I can finish near the top. There's been preliminaries the past few days and when I did my workout today, I got on bench really quick and put up 235 to just put a number down. Apparently, I'm leading my weight class. I need to watch my weight though, I'm 2 pounds from jumping into the next weight class where the competition is a lot stiffer (lead man put up 350 in the preliminaries).