PDA

View Full Version : How many calories a given body can utilize in a given period?

Behemoth
04-13-2008, 08:28 PM
IE: how many cals the average person would utilize, and would not utilize if they were to somehow eat 10,000 cals in say 1 hour.

Those numbers are arbitrary and meaninless I'm just using them as an extreme example.

Anybody got any studies? I'm not so much looking for a passed along opinion that some of us might accept as generally correct. I'd rather see some studies if anybody has any links or come accross things of this sort?

Paul Stagg
04-14-2008, 06:48 AM
Look up "Thermodynamics"

curiosity
04-14-2008, 07:40 AM
IE: how many cals the average person would utilize, and would not utilize if they were to somehow eat 10,000 cals in say 1 hour.

Those numbers are arbitrary and meaninless I'm just using them as an extreme example.

Anybody got any studies? I'm not so much looking for a passed along opinion that some of us might accept as generally correct. I'd rather see some studies if anybody has any links or come accross things of this sort?
define the average person?

Amount of muscle, what the caloric makeup of that figure is, are they carb burners or fat burners at rest, how tall are they, male or female, muscle mass, on cycle, just finished working out etc etc

the question you asked quite simply has no answer

Holto
04-14-2008, 11:08 AM
It would be impossible to determine this. Any of the 10,000 cals that are not used for energy would be stored.

The body is a closed system.

Max Thunder
04-15-2008, 02:53 PM
If it doesn't end in the toilet, it ends in your body.

If a lot of fat is eaten (I don't have any number), it will overload the lypolysis pathway or something like that, I don't remember the details and the book is somewhere in my closet, and ketones bodies will be produced. Some of these ketones will end up in the urine and breath, especially if you are not adapted to using them (by say, following a very low carb, high fat diet for a while).

I'm not sure I understand your question. Calories don't disappear. Some of them might "disappear" in the urine and breath as I said or through heat dissipation (thermogenesis), but for most of 'em calories, it's the be used or get stored rule.

Read about foie gras.