PDA

View Full Version : Kennelly ups his WR!!!

chris mason
04-13-2008, 08:35 PM
I think the lockouts are suspect, but the guy is GOOFY strong to be sure! Check out the raw 3 board with 725 lbs (first video).

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/7876#comment-48010

strongkid963
04-13-2008, 08:44 PM
I think the lockouts are suspect, but the guy is GOOFY strong to be sure! Check out the raw 3 board with 725 lbs (first video).

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/7876#comment-48010

look at where the bar lines up witht he rack when he holds it (right before he goes down), then check where the bar is when he has it "locked out".

anyway real real strong, hard to imagine even seeing that in real-life!!!

nhlfan
04-13-2008, 08:51 PM
the raw 3 board was unbelievable.

I'm not 100% convinced he locked out 1070, but it was an impressive feat of strength nonetheless.

RhodeHouse
04-14-2008, 06:16 AM
Awsome lifts. The 1000 and 1070 looked great. Too many internet judges that find the need to nit-pick the king of benching when they haven't even totaled what he benched.

Ryan will set the record at whatever he chooses. Great lifts.

Paul Stagg
04-14-2008, 06:30 AM
Following the rules of the sport is nitpicking?

Passing bad lifts hurts everyone.

The 1070 was not a good lift. That's not in any way belittling the person performing the lift. There are bad calls made in every sport, and this is one of them.

Invain
04-14-2008, 07:12 AM
Awsome lifts. The 1000 and 1070 looked great. Too many internet judges that find the need to nit-pick the king of benching when they haven't even totaled what he benched.

It was a crazy lift either way, but nitpicking??? Just because he has the world record bench it's alright for his form to not quite pass?

Lones Green
04-14-2008, 07:30 AM
he is CRAZY strong. i'm also not sure about the lockouts, i would have liked to see that in person. the fact that he can even hold that weight above his face is unreal.

Tim K
04-14-2008, 07:56 AM
The judges were there, they saw the lift, and gave it the white lights. That is good enough for me. I can't judge a lift by some crappy video posted on youtube. Freakin' awesome lifts. It would have been nice if he locked out 1100. Such a nice round number for a bench record! :D

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
04-14-2008, 08:01 AM
Ryan keeps raising the bar!

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?

Travis Bell
04-14-2008, 08:30 AM
Ryan is one sick bencher, that was awesome. Little top end work and he'll own that 1100 no problem

vdizenzo
04-14-2008, 11:43 AM
I have watched Ryan bench countless times on video and his dvd and those did not look like his normal benches. Ryan is the best bencher in the world hands down, but I don't think those were good. Maybe getting so much bigger his arms don't lock as well. I don't know. I know he's better than those. I look forward to seeing him hit bigger and better benches.

thewicked
04-14-2008, 02:21 PM
lockout was suspect..but not by much...not enough for ME to say good or bad. Either way. 1070...holy hell

dxiw
04-14-2008, 02:38 PM
Following the rules of the sport is nitpicking?

Passing bad lifts hurts everyone.

The 1070 was not a good lift. That's not in any way belittling the person performing the lift. There are bad calls made in every sport, and this is one of them.

100% agree. I have the utmost respect for Ryan and I do consider him a bench god, but that 1070 was a good inch or so short of lockout.. look how much higher his hands fly when the spotter grabs the bar to rack it.

Stumprrp
04-14-2008, 03:02 PM
the he had like 50 more lbs in him on that 3board

Jared Enderton
04-14-2008, 05:26 PM
either way it was very very impressive!!

jtteg_x
04-14-2008, 08:34 PM
I honestly believe he locked it out legit. The bar was drifting downward a bit after lockout but that was AFTER the "rack" command was given. The angle isn't the greatest to judge but it looked like a minimal to no pause for the "press" command.

1070lb...jebus

Sidior
04-14-2008, 08:55 PM
He continues to be a freak. Just awesome.

Fuzzy
04-14-2008, 09:44 PM
I remember reading back to the Mendy vs Gene thing, they were both at 1000ish breaking each others record every few months.

Then this monster comes out and owns them both

Sidior
04-14-2008, 10:05 PM
I remember reading back to the Mendy vs Gene thing, they were both at 1000ish breaking each others record every few months.

Then this monster comes out and owns them both

Kennelly was around then just instead of bombing all the time he was consistently hitting 900lb benches. He has just continued to work his way up. **** what a freak!

noahfor123
04-14-2008, 10:24 PM
Ryan keeps raising the bar!

Pun...intended??

Travis Bell
04-14-2008, 10:26 PM
if I remember correctly Kennelly hit 800 before Gene did. Ryan dialed it back for a year or two and then really figured out the shirts and now its paying off big time

chris mason
04-14-2008, 11:59 PM
Travis, I don't think it is the shirts in the sense that he was excellent with them prior to his latest run. He added a LOT of body weight in the last year. I would guess on the order of 40+ lbs. I think that is the primary difference in what he is doing.

Chris

Travis Bell
04-15-2008, 07:17 AM
yeah he definatly put on some weight, thats for sure. Hes one big boy. Still probably one of the most cut SHWs out there

Fuzzy
04-15-2008, 07:33 AM
Travis do you think at Kenelly, with the weigt gain will need a new shirt to hit new clean lifts?

Travis Bell
04-15-2008, 08:49 AM
Travis do you think at Kenelly, with the weigt gain will need a new shirt to hit new clean lifts?

weight loss and gain does play a big part in how a shirt works. Ryan used to wear a double Rage X close back, now he's in a Super Phenom open back so he's in a new shirt already. I think he hit his 1036 in the super Phenom. I'm not the bencher Ryan is, but it looked to me like he was just struggling at the top a little. All his lifts just shot right off his chest!

When he brings the bar down, he touches a bit lower than I've seen him do before. He may have just had a difficult time getting his triceps under the bar as a result of touching lower. I'm talking about the 1100 attempt. Take what I say with a grain of salt though, like I say, I'm nowhere near the bencher he is.

I have no doubt that very soon he'll hit that 1100 or more in comp. Ryan is such an awesome bencher, I love watching his videos.

Fuzzy
04-15-2008, 09:05 AM
weight loss and gain does play a big part in how a shirt works. Ryan used to wear a double Rage X close back, now he's in a Super Phenom open back so he's in a new shirt already. I think he hit his 1036 in the super Phenom. I'm not the bencher Ryan is, but it looked to me like he was just struggling at the top a little. All his lifts just shot right off his chest!

When he brings the bar down, he touches a bit lower than I've seen him do before. He may have just had a difficult time getting his triceps under the bar as a result of touching lower. I'm talking about the 1100 attempt. Take what I say with a grain of salt though, like I say, I'm nowhere near the bencher he is.

I have no doubt that very soon he'll hit that 1100 or more in comp. Ryan is such an awesome bencher, I love watching his videos.

I think I understand, so he pressed lower and as a result had a harder time keeping his triceps under?

How is this fixed, in my limited shirt work (407 like cake in 4 sessions) I found the hardest bit after touching was keeping the elbows down and not having to skull crush the weight, I also pressed very low.

never had to fix it thourgh with the sport change :p

Travis Bell
04-15-2008, 09:14 AM
What happens to most people is that they get impatient when bringing the bar down so instead of waiting for the bar to touch a little higher on their chest, they get in a hurry and touch lower, but now the weight is sitting alot more on their forearms, rather than in their triceps. What I usually try and get guys to do is to tuck their elbows harder and touch a little higher.

Alot of people have the same problem with keeping the elbows in. Its funny, in my recent training sessions Lou commented on how I keep my elbows more tucked raw at the bottom than I do in my shirt. I need to fix that. You have to keep those elbows tucked and trust that they will press the weight and resist the temptation to flare them and try to fight the groove of the shirt. I really recommend taking video of yourself as well. When I get video of myself I watch it, watch it again, and again, and again etc. I analyze it as much as I can so I can do it different next week.

Good question bro.

RhodeHouse
04-15-2008, 10:48 AM
The judges were there, they saw the lift, and gave it the white lights. That is good enough for me. I can't judge a lift by some crappy video posted on youtube. Freakin' awesome lifts. It would have been nice if he locked out 1100. Such a nice round number for a bench record! :D

Thank you! Great lifts. WR or not. I thought they were very good and much better than some other lifts I've seen passed. So, yes, nitpicking his lift with 1070? Of course it's going to look a little different than some of his other lifts. It's heavier than any of his other lifts. I guess that makes sense, so... I wish my 930 looked as good as my first 700.

smokinHawk
04-15-2008, 12:05 PM
:ninja:

Travis Bell
04-15-2008, 12:35 PM
Thank you! Great lifts. WR or not. I thought they were very good and much better than some other lifts I've seen passed. So, yes, nitpicking his lift with 1070? Of course it's going to look a little different than some of his other lifts. It's heavier than any of his other lifts. I guess that makes sense, so... I wish my 930 looked as good as my first 700.

I second that. Plus if he hadn't had it locked out, it would (at least in my experience) have gone down, much like the 1100 did. I know I can't even hold 800 up without locking it out. Either I get it or I don't so I can't imagine 1070!

Ben Moore
04-15-2008, 12:52 PM
Awesome lift. There's a video going around from the head judge perspective that's a little better.

nhlfan
04-15-2008, 01:31 PM
:ninja:

hahahahahaha awesome image

Paul Stagg
04-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Won't be long and we'll be giving white lights for unracking the bar.

Rob Luyando
04-16-2008, 08:35 AM
Strong is strong. Ryan's 725 3 brd was just flat out stupid! He could have done that for 10 reps. WTF? IF I know Ryan and I think I do. He will come back stronger and clean up his technique so there is no question about his Worl Records.

As far as for his improvements over the past year a lot of factors come into play. He was battleling sleep apnea like a lot of us do and finally adressed the problem. Amazing what good sleep can do for recovery. His dedication to putting on some serious mass has paid off ten fold. Switching from a sloppy back shirt to an open back shirt makes a huge difference. Ryan would be able to handle nearly the same amounts of weight in the Rage X if he used a open back. That is all I am giving you all for now.

RedSpikeyThing
04-16-2008, 09:15 AM
Awesome lift. There's a video going around from the head judge perspective that's a little better.

TfYuz80hRRU

Invain
04-16-2008, 09:58 AM
I think it looked even worse from that angle. There's no way in hell, it looks like he starts to lose control and the spotters grabbed it.

vdizenzo
04-16-2008, 03:18 PM
Wow, I don't think anyone is talking junk about Ryan. A few people think it was not his best lifting that's all. All of which including myself think Ryan is one of if not the best bencher in the world. I wish Ryan nothing but success. At least it is not a bunch of anonymous guys here. It's a few lifters of varying abilities discussing a lift intelligently. I wish more forums were like this one.

Ben Moore
04-16-2008, 03:23 PM
TfYuz80hRRU

That is another video, but that's not where the head judge usually sits...;)

Paul Stagg
04-16-2008, 03:44 PM
Wow, I don't think anyone is talking junk about Ryan. A few people think it was not his best lifting that's all. All of which including myself think Ryan is one of if not the best bencher in the world. I wish Ryan nothing but success. At least it is not a bunch of anonymous guys here. It's a few lifters of varying abilities discussing a lift intelligently. I wish more forums were like this one.

The validity of the lift or judges has nothing to do with the lifter. Clearly he's one of the strongest benchers ever, regardless of equipment, federation, etc. That 3 board warmup was just sick fast, and while I don't think this lift should have been given a white light, he still came pretty damn close to locking out 1070.

There is a bigger issue with credibility of lifts; not just this one, not just records, not just the APA, and not just benching. Officiating quality at a number of meets is questionable, and that's a problem with the sport that we should be discussing... although maybe this thread isn't the place for that discussion. With video and the internet making it easy for lots of people to see these lifts, I think it's pretty important from a credibility standpoint that the lifts be executed according to the rulebook. There will always be questionable calls, but instead of looking at something and saying 'that wasn't even close', I would rather us be talking about how close it was, and debating very small calls, not mile high squats and benches that clearly aren't locked out.

LouPac
04-17-2008, 01:55 AM
Was he using a mouthpiece?

deeder
04-17-2008, 02:15 AM
Yeah we know... You've been there and we haven't, you're strong and we're not, you're big and we aren't, you love mcdonalds and we don't....

It's like the fastest 100m sprinters stopping at 95m and still setting a world record!

No doubt he's strong as ****, but it wasn't a good lift IMO.

bill
04-17-2008, 05:50 AM
I guess the lockout is questionable from a "fan" standpoint. You can see the judge say rack it, or whatever and the spotters took the wt. So Ryan did his part. I'm sure he will see the video and try too take any question out of his lifts.

Fuzzy
04-17-2008, 07:01 AM
Yeah we know... You've been there and we haven't, you're strong and we're not, you're big and we aren't, you love mcdonalds and we don't....

It's like the fastest 100m sprinters stopping at 95m and still setting a world record!

Well put, so what if its 1070 pounds, he is stupidly strong no one is arguing but there are rules and they need to be followed, and that did not look like it was locked out.

Invain
04-17-2008, 07:53 AM
1070 is a lot, there's no taking that away from Ryan.

However, I would be MUCH more impressed to see him put up something like 750 raw with a good clean press.

noahfor123
04-17-2008, 08:33 AM
What is the official criteria for being locked out?

Invain
04-17-2008, 08:44 AM
Arms should be fully extended straight, and the bar should be stable, right? Unless I'm wrong besides locking your arms out the bar can't have any downward motion after you star the ascent?

smokinHawk
04-17-2008, 09:23 AM
Arms should be fully extended straight, and the bar should be stable, right? Unless I'm wrong besides locking your arms out the bar can't have any downward motion after you star the ascent?

looks like he accomplished that D.F.
so good lift.

Travis Bell
04-17-2008, 09:43 AM
if the bar hadn't been locked out, it would have gone down. Watch his 1100 attempt, the bar goes up rather quickly and then immediatly goes down. there just isn't any way to hold that kind of weight without locking it out. you either get it or you don't

Lets think about this though. Supposing he did have the strength to hold it 1" from lockout (just supposing, I feel it was locked out) and he got a white light for a bench 1" from lockout. who'd he take the WR from? nobody. We all know Ryan will come back for more and go higher and stronger. There is nobody even close to Ryan right now. Not one person.So its not as big of a deal as some of you are making it out to be. I will concede it wasn't his cleanest lift, but it was a good lift. I do think the guy deserves a little respect for all the work he's put into what he's done. Simply amazing lifter and there probably won't be another one like him in a very long time.

Mike G
04-17-2008, 09:58 AM
if the bar hadn't been locked out, it would have gone down. Watch his 1100 attempt, the bar goes up rather quickly and then immediatly goes down. there just isn't any way to hold that kind of weight without locking it out. you either get it or you don't

Lets think about this though. Supposing he did have the strength to hold it 1" from lockout (just supposing, I feel it was locked out) and he got a white light for a bench 1" from lockout. who'd he take the WR from? nobody. We all know Ryan will come back for more and go higher and stronger. There is nobody even close to Ryan right now. Not one person.So its not as big of a deal as some of you are making it out to be. I will concede it wasn't his cleanest lift, but it was a good lift. I do think the guy deserves a little respect for all the work he's put into what he's done. Simply amazing lifter and there probably won't be another one like him in a very long time.

Travis, I think the bar starts to go back down, about the same time as the last command. Look at the spotters on his left, or look at the bar in relation to the hook, it starts to go back down, right around 36s.

Now, I'm not debating the lift, he got whites. I've seen a ton of benches that looked a lot more suspect than this get white lights. I also don't think people in this thread are showing disrespect, most people are saying he is the best, even if they don't think he locked it out.

I think everyone agrees, this wasn't his cleanest lift, but as Rhodes would say, it's not going to look like 700.

I am curious, why such a short/no pause? Is it the federation, angle of the video, of just a quick press command?

One more thing, does the guy in the video above say nice try Ryan at the end?

RhodeHouse
04-17-2008, 10:04 AM

It has nothing to do with me being big and strong. When you handle weights that are twice what you handle now, you'll understand what I'm saying. That's not an insult at all. But, when you haven't handled those weights, yet, you can't understand. I can't even squat what he benches, for christ's sake. So stop with your crybaby attitude thinking I'm putting you guys down and saying you're weak. The truth of the matter is, you don't know what it's like because you're not moving huge weights, yet. Your form will change as your weights get heavier. Your lockout will change as you get bigger and stronger. I'm not even that big, and I can't straighten my arms all the way out, anymore.

It must be nice being an armchair powerlifter. Perfection never looked better.

He got the rack command and was given 3 white lights. He held the weight until he was given the rack command. I think it was a good lift. Perfect, no. But, a solid lift. You think it was bad, I think it was good. You'll never change my opinion on that. But, when you get bigger and stronger, you'll understand that lifts change as you get heavier. But, I can't expect teenagers to understand that. You know everything, already.

RhodeHouse
04-17-2008, 10:08 AM
Travis, I think the bar starts to go back down, about the same time as the last command. Look at the spotters on his left, or look at the bar in relation to the hook, it starts to go back down, right around 36s.

Now, I'm not debating the lift, he got whites. I've seen a ton of benches that looked a lot more suspect than this get white lights. I also don't think people in this thread are showing disrespect, most people are saying he is the best, even if they don't think he locked it out.

I think everyone agrees, this wasn't his cleanest lift, but as Rhodes would say, it's not going to look like 700.

I am curious, why such a short/no pause? Is it the federation, angle of the video, of just a quick press command?

One more thing, does the guy in the video above say nice try Ryan at the end?

There is no need for a pause. With the bench shirts being so tight, as soon as it touches, you get the press call. The rule is the bar has to be motionless, not paused. When gear was looser or raw, it seemed like a pause because the bar was still in motion when it first touched the chest. Once it sunk in a bit and the bar stopped moving down, you would get the press call.

Travis Bell
04-17-2008, 10:10 AM
I s'pose I can see where you're saying his elbow goes back down but his elbow doesn't bend, it looks to me more that he just tipped to one side and his right shoulder went farther into the bench. Its a hair splitter thats for sure, but I don't think it went back down

As for the pause, be brought it down under control, it touched and was still under control, not sure how much longer he should have held it there and for what purpose? I'm not being sarcastic its just that he fulfilled all the requirements of touching.

If a person was used to the pauses in the USAPL, then I guess I could understand why they felt that one was short, but IMO some of the pauses in the USAPL are ridiculous long

RhodeHouse
04-17-2008, 10:12 AM

He does deserve a lot of respect in this sport. I know this is the internet and kids have grown cyber-balls, but not one person who is criticizing him would tell him it wasn't locked out to his face. That's respect. Say it to his face. But, no one would. It's easy to nitpick when there's no chance of ever seeing him or talking to him about it. The same guys that are crying about it would swing from his nuts if they were in the same room as him.

Rob Luyando
04-17-2008, 11:10 AM
All the bitching and moaning and debates over the 1070 lift is not going to change the outcome. Get over it guys. Load the bar and show Ryan how it is done! Not one of his cleanest lifts but the judges past it so its in the books.

chris mason
04-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Well, I think even the critics here are being fair. They are saying that they respect him and his strength but think this particular lift wasn't completely locked out. I think that is a fair expression of opinion. I see a lot of online criticisms that are a lot harsher and are unwarranted.

In any event, he got the call by the judges and that is all that matters relative to the lift being a new record. I hope he will do even more in the future in a more definitive fashion.

Chris

vdizenzo
04-17-2008, 11:49 AM
He does deserve a lot of respect in this sport. I know this is the internet and kids have grown cyber-balls, but not one person who is criticizing him would tell him it wasn't locked out to his face. That's respect. Say it to his face. But, no one would. It's easy to nitpick when there's no chance of ever seeing him or talking to him about it. The same guys that are crying about it would swing from his nuts if they were in the same room as him.

I would respectfully tell him it was not one of his better lifts. I'm getting old in the sport. I don't give a f__k.

vdizenzo
04-17-2008, 11:55 AM
All the bitching and moaning and debates over the 1070 lift is not going to change the outcome. Get over it guys. Load the bar and show Ryan how it is done! Not one of his cleanest lifts but the judges past it so its in the books.

We have the right to debate it. This crap went on long before the internet. Guys would just call each other after nationals and say so and so got away with a lift. Also, it does not sound like bitching and moaning here. I think you are airing your frutstrations about other forums. Just because I can't bench 1070 does not mean I cannot make my own mind up about it. Does that logic mean that you have to bench 1070 to be one of the judges?

Ryan's lifts are rarely if ever called into question. The fact that there are debates all over the internet speaks volumes. I have always been one of the first on the net to congratulate him. I am a huge fan. I hope he goes and smokes a perfect 1100.

RhodeHouse
04-17-2008, 12:01 PM
I would respectfully tell him it was not one of his better lifts. I'm getting old in the sport. I don't give a f__k.

You're not a nutswinger. You are one of 5-6 guys in the world with an 800 equipped and 600 unequipped bench. And, after you told him it wasn't his best lift, you'd laugh with him and move onto the next subject. The guys that wouldn't say it to his face, would be swinging.

You're fat!

vdizenzo
04-17-2008, 12:06 PM
You're not a nutswinger. You are one of 5-6 guys in the world with an 800 equipped and 600 unequipped bench. And, after you told him it wasn't his best lift, you'd laugh with him and move onto the next subject. The guys that wouldn't say it to his face, would be swinging.

You're fat!

I'd probably cover up when I said it. Ryan's a big mofo.

bill
04-17-2008, 12:33 PM
I would pass every lift he attempted, no use playing with your life. lol

BigRic
04-17-2008, 12:54 PM
I don't know why anyone would be scared to be honest about saying they didn't think that the 1070 attempt wasn't locked out. So what if he's 350 is he really not capable of handling criticism? Plus I don't think he moves that well so if he did snap I wouldn't be worried.

Travis Bell
04-17-2008, 01:00 PM
haha I take it you've never met Ryan?

he's got quite a presence about him. I'm sure he'd take criticism well, but I would definatly not be the one to test that theory. Plus I'm sure he could care less.

Also ryan moves suprisingly well for a 350lb guy

smokinHawk
04-17-2008, 02:12 PM
i saw him when he was a light 308lb'er at the arnold last year and thought he was a tank then.

Invain
04-17-2008, 02:42 PM

Why should anybody be scared of saying this stuff to his face? What's he gonna do beat my ass and then get arrested for assault.

bencher8
04-17-2008, 03:33 PM
"I don't know why anyone would be scared to be honest about saying they didn't think that the 1070 attempt wasn't locked out. So what if he's 350 is he really not capable of handling criticism? Plus I don't think he moves that well so if he did snap I wouldn't be worried."

BIGRIC: That 1070 lift was ****!
Ryan: go **** yourself!
BIGRIC: **** you!
Ryan: come here boy..
BIGRIC: ummmm... Just so you know...I can outrun you...

"Why should anybody be scared of saying this stuff to his face? What's he gonna do beat my ass and then get arrested for assault."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Now that is some funny stuff right there!

INVAIN: Ryan that lift was ****!
Ryan: Go **** yourself!
INVAIN: **** You bro!
Ryan: Come here boy...
INVAIN: If you touch me I'm calling the cops...

HAHAHAHAHAHA.....that my friends is what Rhodes was talking about. Cyber-balls...

nhlfan
04-17-2008, 03:52 PM
who would beat someone up for thinking they didn't lock out a lift?

Rob Luyando
04-17-2008, 03:56 PM
We have the right to debate it. This crap went on long before the internet. Guys would just call each other after nationals and say so and so got away with a lift. Also, it does not sound like bitching and moaning here. I think you are airing your frutstrations about other forums. Just because I can't bench 1070 does not mean I cannot make my own mind up about it. Does that logic mean that you have to bench 1070 to be one of the judges?

Ryan's lifts are rarely if ever called into question. The fact that there are debates all over the internet speaks volumes. I have always been one of the first on the net to congratulate him. I am a huge fan. I hope he goes and smokes a perfect 1100.

Vin you have a point about the debate and I was probably just generalizing all internet warriors. This forum is pretty cool So if I up set you let me know and I will send you a box of Kleenex. LOL!

I talk to Ryan on a regular basis and he has assured me that his next showing will be a lot prettier.

As for confrontation with Ryan. He is a big teddy bear. He is open to opions and critisism. How ever I wouldn't want to piss him off because and my current body weight I don't think I could out run him. But I can assure you you wouldn't need the cops if he decided to hit you he is a man beast the coroner would be my bet on who to call.

vdizenzo
04-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Hey Rob, it's all good. This is a cool forum. This is where I do the majority of my posting. Good peeps here. Not a lot of crap talking for the most part and a lot of respect paid. I hope you post here more often. Oh yeah, I guess I am just feeling old.

Guys, let's not turn this into a tough guy thread. We are all better than that.

bencher8
04-17-2008, 04:49 PM
Rob, your so old now you can barely stand anyway...and at your current bodyweight you can barely walk without running out of breath..much less run lol

I was just busting balls INvain.....it;s just funny to me when people imply they will call the cops if there is a confrontation. I am used to dealing with a lot of anon BS on most of the forums....this one seems to be mostly ok anyway.

Are those the words you would respectfully use to tell him he didn't lock out? Dumbass, idiot...stuff like that just proves my point about internet tough guys. You say it here, but would you if I were standing there. Not an implication I would try and beat you up...just curious. I know I wouldn't use those words to your face if the situation were reversed...just the way I operate i guess....

anyway....i figured most already knew I was a dumbass, idiot, and all.....hell I barely know anything about lifting anyway...

deeder
04-17-2008, 04:57 PM

Not me...

I will totally e-kick your ass! :outnumber:

bill
04-17-2008, 05:00 PM
Wow that got a little out of hand. I'm sure Ryan would have handled not passing the lift a hell of lot better than some of us. I'm sure he has missed and disagreed with the judges. You don't become the best without some bumps in the road.

bill
04-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Chris any chance of Ryan writing an article or something? He is a monster

Travis Bell
04-17-2008, 05:05 PM
"I don't know why anyone would be scared to be honest about saying they didn't think that the 1070 attempt wasn't locked out. So what if he's 350 is he really not capable of handling criticism? Plus I don't think he moves that well so if he did snap I wouldn't be worried."

BIGRIC: That 1070 lift was ****!
Ryan: go **** yourself!
BIGRIC: **** you!
Ryan: come here boy..
BIGRIC: ummmm... Just so you know...I can outrun you...

"Why should anybody be scared of saying this stuff to his face? What's he gonna do beat my ass and then get arrested for assault."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Now that is some funny stuff right there!

INVAIN: Ryan that lift was ****!
Ryan: Go **** yourself!
INVAIN: **** You bro!
Ryan: Come here boy...
INVAIN: If you touch me I'm calling the cops...

HAHAHAHAHAHA.....that my friends is what Rhodes was talking about. Cyber-balls...

HAHAHA, Paul that was hilarious!!

Travis Bell
04-17-2008, 05:07 PM
Chris any chance of Ryan writing an article or something? He is a monster

That would be pretty sweet

chris mason
04-17-2008, 05:35 PM
I don't know about an article. I have met Ryan and he seems like a very nice guy. Perhaps I will inquire with him about an interview or the like.

Paul Stagg
04-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Hey Rob, it's all good. This is a cool forum. This is where I do the majority of my posting. Good peeps here. Not a lot of crap talking for the most part and a lot of respect paid. I hope you post here more often. Oh yeah, I guess I am just feeling old.

The tough guy bull**** isn't coming from anyone who suggested the lift wasn't good.

I'd tell anyone I thought that lift wasn't good, and while I don't know Ryan personally, I'm certainly not afraid that he might get mad at me.

Really, this isn't personal. My point is a greater one regarding the credibility of officiating in powerlifting.

By the way, bashing the USAPL isn't a particularly effective debate tactic.

Invain
04-17-2008, 05:52 PM
Rob, your so old now you can barely stand anyway lol

I was just busting balls INvain.....it;s just funny to me when people imply they will call the cops if there is a confrontation. I am used to dealing with a lot of anon BS on most of the forums....this one seems to be mostly ok anyway.

Are those the words you would respectfully use to tell him he didn't lock out? Dumbass, idiot...stuff like that just proves my point about internet tough guys. You say it here, but would you if I were standing there. Not an implication I would try and beat you up...just curious. I know I wouldn't use those words to your face if the situation were reversed...just the way I operate i guess....

anyway....i figured most already knew I was a dumbass, idiot, and all.....hell I barely know anything about lifting anyway...

I know you're probably not being serious, but you took what I said way out of context. My only point was it would be rediculous to be afraid to tell a guy what I thought about his bench press. Never did I say I would be an ass about it and call him names. No clue where you're getting that from. As for the cops joke... if a guy twice my size physically hurt me over something I said about his bench, yes I would call the police. Who wouldn't?

Lones Green
04-17-2008, 06:14 PM
this thread is heading in the same category as the waxy maize and RESULTS thread, haha.

vdizenzo
04-17-2008, 06:53 PM
It's all Luyando's fault!

Lones Green
04-17-2008, 06:56 PM
It's all Luyando's fault!

+1 for team fatguy

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/xshewastragedyx/glennross.jpg

bigbadwolfe
04-17-2008, 06:57 PM
HOLY CRAP!!! Luyando did get FAT!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

bencher8
04-17-2008, 07:32 PM
Your're right Mike..that pic does have an uncanny resemblance to that old fart Luyando lol

btw...I would like to claim ownership of a gut like that for a couple meets...wow

chris mason
04-17-2008, 08:19 PM
A side note, for Rob and the others that said these are cool forums I want you guys to know I really appreciate that. I want this place to become the home for the strongest in the world. A place where they can exchange ideas and just hang. Anyway, to all of you guys, thanks for being here and helping to make this a better site!

Chris

vdizenzo
04-17-2008, 09:06 PM
+1 for team fatguy

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/xshewastragedyx/glennross.jpg

The single greatest pic of all time. Glen Ross is my hero.

Travis Bell
04-17-2008, 09:50 PM
don't worry bout it guys, in the great hypothetical even created here, I can guarentee Ryan wouldn't really get to worked up about it. No reason to really worry bout who's callin the police or who's not. Its all a little extreme

chris mason
04-17-2008, 09:54 PM
I agree, let's drop that topic. It leads to nothing good.

Rob Luyando
04-18-2008, 05:58 AM
HOLY CRAP!!! Luyando did get FAT!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I am thick and not fat! And if you call me fat one more time I am going to call the cops just so an ass beating doesn't have to follow. :evillaugh:

Wait a second I am a cop. To adress the "if I get my ass kicked I will call the cops issue" If I responded to a fight call and found out that the instigater got the short end of the stick and then waisted my time and pulled me away from some crispie creams I would more likely be pissed and tell him he got exactly what he deserved. And trust me no arrests would be made!

chris mason
04-18-2008, 06:04 AM
Rob is merely big-boned...

Wolfe, please do not tease the weight challenged in this thread...

:evillaugh:

Rob Luyando
04-18-2008, 06:06 AM
Does anyone know how often Ryan Kennelly typically does contests? I'm looking forward to see his next benches!

OK back onto the Original topic. Ryan the Man Beast Kennelly competes about the same way I do. He usually hits anywhere from 7 to 11 meets a year often back to back.

He is lifting Saturday at a meet in Idaho. I am sure he will hit something sick!

I stirred the pot on this thread and a lot of guys either got there panties in a bunch or got sensative. I apoligize to Chris for both. THis site is kick ass lets not turn it into one of the other sites.

Fuzzy
04-18-2008, 06:53 AM
I remember watching a super put up 450 over head. I was going to tell him that I thought he pressed with his right arm, but, I dont know, I just didnt.

I think Rhode is right, when you see people like this do things like that, regardless if its bad or not you just feel to damn humbled to be in the same room as them to say anything.

I will never forget the day Chris squatted 720ish olympic style. Did his knees cave slightly? Sure. Was I going to say anything?

**** no.

Lones Green
04-18-2008, 07:14 AM
Your're right Mike..that pic does have an uncanny resemblance to that old fart Luyando lol

btw...I would like to claim ownership of a gut like that for a couple meets...wow

mine is about 1/3 that size and it's hell for me to hit depth on squats. i'd say it wouldn't be too much of a problem with 800+ on your back. :evillaugh:

however, when benching.....:strong: :burger: :strong: :burger:

Mike G
04-18-2008, 08:33 AM
There is no need for a pause. With the bench shirts being so tight, as soon as it touches, you get the press call. The rule is the bar has to be motionless, not paused. When gear was looser or raw, it seemed like a pause because the bar was still in motion when it first touched the chest. Once it sunk in a bit and the bar stopped moving down, you would get the press call.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I s'pose I can see where you're saying his elbow goes back down but his elbow doesn't bend, it looks to me more that he just tipped to one side and his right shoulder went farther into the bench. Its a hair splitter thats for sure, but I don't think it went back down

As for the pause, be brought it down under control, it touched and was still under control, not sure how much longer he should have held it there and for what purpose? I'm not being sarcastic its just that he fulfilled all the requirements of touching.

If a person was used to the pauses in the USAPL, then I guess I could understand why they felt that one was short, but IMO some of the pauses in the USAPL are ridiculous long

I see what you're saying about dipping, not his elbow bending. I'm used to seeing USAPL pauses, where it seems the bar is sitting for a long time. I don't compete and have never been to a competition, so I only know what I see on line and most of the vids I have seen seemed to have a pretty long pause. Yours and Rhodes explanations have cleared it up for me, thanks.

PriestCometh
04-18-2008, 10:51 AM
ROB said "waiste". lol

vdizenzo
04-18-2008, 11:01 AM
Hey Rob, what are you weighing right now? Be honest!

Invain
04-18-2008, 11:32 AM
OK back onto the Original topic. Ryan the Man Beast Kennelly competes about the same way I do. He usually hits anywhere from 7 to 11 meets a year often back to back.

He is lifting Saturday at a meet in Idaho. I am sure he will hit something sick!

I stirred the pot on this thread and a lot of guys either got there panties in a bunch or got sensative. I apoligize to Chris for both. THis site is kick ass lets not turn it into one of the other sites.

When you guys do meets like that in a row, do you do much inbetween, or just take weeks off?

bigbadwolfe
04-18-2008, 12:19 PM
I am thick and not fat! And if you call me fat one more time I am going to call the cops just so an ass beating doesn't have to follow. :evillaugh:

Wait a second I am a cop. To adress the "if I get my ass kicked I will call the cops issue" If I responded to a fight call and found out that the instigater got the short end of the stick and then waisted my time and pulled me away from some crispie creams I would more likely be pissed and tell him he got exactly what he deserved. And trust me no arrests would be made!
Sorry Rob I will bring you some Crispy Cremes tomorrow to make up for my lack of respect for your plumpness :)

And so you all no I think I reign SUPREME right now on Plumpness, I am officially 370 again :) God I'll be so glad to get this meet over so I can get skinnier then Rob!!! Then I'll call him Fatboy and be able to mean it :)

jtteg_x
04-18-2008, 12:31 PM

i wish all federations did this. USPF keeps you down for so long!

Sean Hatley
04-22-2008, 06:44 AM
Why should anybody be scared of saying this stuff to his face? What's he gonna do beat my ass and then get arrested for assault.

No he will eat you alive.:thumbup:

Invain
04-22-2008, 08:34 AM
No he will eat you alive.:thumbup:

What was the point of bringing this back up???

Ben Moore
04-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Just an attemp to be funny on Sean's part - no worries

Reko
04-22-2008, 09:42 AM
When you guys do meets like that in a row, do you do much inbetween, or just take weeks off?

To add a follow up question, is it a huge difference between a full PL meet vs bench only in terms of the recovery/deload after a meet, or is it just like any other ME training day?