PDA

View Full Version : Squat shoes help

C H A D
04-13-2008, 10:29 PM
I recently started doing Olympic lifts. I have a coach and it is cheaper than my old gym that didnt like chalk.

Long story short, I have bad feet. I have custom 500$ insoles and I just had foot surgery. I do not want to squat on my insoles or jump a lot because they are expensive. The next pair will only cost like 150-200 but still expensive. So my foot condition is called hammertoes and I have a high arch, I am curious if anyone with bad feet did well in squat shoes. Can anybody recommend a pair. I was looking at Werksan.

Thanks

BTW I searched came up with very little and I am a brand new user, looks like a good forum.

Paul Stagg
04-14-2008, 06:55 AM
Why don't you want to squat using your insoles. It shouldn't hurt them any more than regular use, and I don't think I'd lift without them if you have foot problems that serious.

I use my orthodics all the time.

I don't wear weightlifting shoes, but there are a number of brands out there. I'd test them out (which is difficult to do).

C H A D
04-15-2008, 10:48 PM
you wear your orthodics all the time, do you do oly lifts? I am worried all that jumping will destroy them.

kingkong51
04-15-2008, 10:52 PM
well it depends ask your doctor and see.

Paul Stagg
04-16-2008, 08:29 AM
No oly lifts, but I've run using them.

My chiro got me mine, and there are a couple of options WRT flexibility of the orthodic. I have two pair, one is more flexible that I wear every day, and one pair is not flexible at all, I wear those to train (i got them specifically for running). I've had the first pair for probably 7 years, and they are just now getting kinda worn out.

I would certainly ask the doc, but I wouldn't worry about it. I would certainly wear them when lifting, regardless of how quickly they might wear out.

Powerfulkate
04-17-2008, 12:13 PM
I FINALLY just got arch supports about 3 or 4 weeks ago - should have done it when my feet first started bothering me 20 years ago! I am amazed at the difference in my entire life, not just lifting.

My problems stem from my arch being EXTREMELY high (think St. Louis). My weight does not distribute properly without them, causing the bones to spread unevenly and lots of pain...

I got 2 pairs - one for my athletic shoes, and one for dress shoes. I would think that you would want to stick those things in your shoes while placing heavy weight on your shoulders that compresses down upon your feet - you are just aggravating your condition not doing so. I am thrilled that I can FINALLY sit back in the squat, FINALLY sit back in the deadlift...I now know what it means to push from the heel.

Don't be a fool - put them in your shoes when you lift.

Runty
04-17-2008, 12:31 PM
Never had much of a foot problem although when I was working at a warehouse on my feet for 10 hours a day I did buy some Dr scholls type extra support for the sole. If you're looking to get a pair of weightlifting shoes, I would recommend the new Rogue version of the Do-wins. Got mine from Rogue fitness. They are about $40 more expensive than the Vs Athletic model but $90 cheaper than the adidas model. And they look the best by FAR out of all the models out there. I personally tend not to care what I look like when I dress but some of those Oly shoes seem like they were made ugly on purpose.