PDA

View Full Version : McDonalds Cheese burger to up calories

cmaggs
04-14-2008, 12:00 PM
So a McDonald's cheezburger has about 350 calories and 16 grams of protein. Granted it is high in sodium, cholesterol, and has some trans fat in it, but can it still be good to up my calorie intake? I drink a lot of milk and other liquids with a lot of calories in it but I still can't get enough in. Good idea? Bad idea?

BFGUITAR
04-14-2008, 12:04 PM
I am lazy. I make lots of healthy foods, drink lots of milk, make whole wheat pasta, eat cheese... And I dont seem to get enough calories. Now I know all I have to do is eat more but like I said I am lazy. I dont like to prepare food when I have exams/school! lol I dont have a blender although it would be a good investment. McDonald's is an easy way out. Two double cheese burgers and a protein shake can go a long way.

Rusty
04-14-2008, 12:21 PM
If you have the money, go for the double quarter pounder with cheese. If you're on a budget, just get the double cheeseburger.

And don't forget the fries and coke.

HahnB
04-14-2008, 12:26 PM
So a McDonald's cheezburger has about 350 calories and 16 grams of protein. Granted it is high in sodium, cholesterol, and has some trans fat in it, but can it still be good to up my calorie intake? I drink a lot of milk and other liquids with a lot of calories in it but I still can't get enough in. Good idea? Bad idea?

I don't see how getting in your car and driving to Mcdonalds is more convenient than preparing something at home.

Fast food is calorie dense, but it's not nearly as cost effective as people make it out to be. 16g of protein from a 350 calorie food is terribly ineffective as far as meeting your protein needs. That would equate to about 130g of protein from a 3,000 calorie diet.

curiosity
04-14-2008, 01:04 PM
full fat cheese, nuts, uncooked oats with milk and dreid fruit, peanut butter etc

i dont know how anyone struggles to get in 6000+ calories everyday using calorie dense foods. Heck i ram in 5500 cals a day on most days ending in Y and im good to go

Invain
04-14-2008, 01:10 PM
Drink milk! It's honestly the cheapest source of calories I have found. $3 for a gallon which is 2400 calories. $3 worth of fast food won't even come close.

JSully
04-14-2008, 02:23 PM
get triple whoppers @ BK instead.. :drooling:

BFGUITAR
04-14-2008, 03:01 PM
I don't see how getting in your car and driving to Mcdonalds is more convenient than preparing something at home.

Fast food is calorie dense, but it's not nearly as cost effective as people make it out to be. 16g of protein from a 350 calorie food is terribly ineffective as far as meeting your protein needs. That would equate to about 130g of protein from a 3,000 calorie diet.

I usually have a protein shake with it for that reason.

RhodeHouse
04-15-2008, 10:55 AM
Of course you should eat McDonalds. I would recommend the #1 w/ a large shake, and 2 4 piece McNuggets. Who cares how much protein is in it. It calories, and that's what make s you grow. But, for all you protein freaks, you'll get about 75g in that meal w/ 1100 calories from the shake, 500+ from the Big Mac, and about 400 from the Nuggets. I think the fries are around 300 or so.

McDonalds is the food of the Gods. Now, go and eat, my son.

nhlfan
04-15-2008, 01:03 PM
I've been hitting up the 2 double cheeseburgers for $2.92 a couple of times a week lately.

Keith
04-15-2008, 01:14 PM
I've been hitting up the 2 double cheeseburgers for $2.92 a couple of times a week lately.

:withstupi:

Except I always like to switch it up with a junior chicken and double cheeseburger.

nhlfan
04-15-2008, 01:41 PM
junior chickens are alright too, but i feel weird ordering them because I don't like lettuce and I just end up with a piece of fried chicken in a bun covered in mayo.

HahnB
04-15-2008, 01:42 PM
Of course you should eat McDonalds. I would recommend the #1 w/ a large shake, and 2 4 piece McNuggets. Who cares how much protein is in it. It calories, and that's what make s you grow. But, for all you protein freaks, you'll get about 75g in that meal w/ 1100 calories from the shake, 500+ from the Big Mac, and about 400 from the Nuggets. I think the fries are around 300 or so.

McDonalds is the food of the Gods. Now, go and eat, my son.

75g of protein from a 2,300 calorie meal is horribly inefficient.

cmaggs
04-15-2008, 02:36 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Protein doesn't matter to me because I get about 1.3 grams / lbs of body fat every day. How bad is 3 grams of trans fat?

HahnB
04-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Protein doesn't matter to me because I get about 1.3 grams / lbs of body fat every day. How bad is 3 grams of trans fat?

You're missing the big picture. If you do as Rhodes suggested you've consumed 2300 calories and have only consumed 75g of protein. If your target calories are 3300, you only have 1000 calories left to reach your protein requirements of let's say 240g of protein. Because of your poor selection of food, you now have limited foods to choose from to achieve your calorie/protein targets for the day.

Steven001
04-15-2008, 03:29 PM
I usually have two double cheese burgers after every workout (every second day).

BFGUITAR
04-15-2008, 04:19 PM
You're missing the big picture. If you do as Rhodes suggested you've consumed 2300 calories and have only consumed 75g of protein. If your target calories are 3300, you only have 1000 calories left to reach your protein requirements of let's say 240g of protein. Because of your poor selection of food, you now have limited foods to choose from to achieve your calorie/protein targets for the day.

For convenience sake, that is not difficult using protein supplementation.

HahnB
04-15-2008, 05:12 PM
For convenience sake, that is not difficult using protein supplementation.

Sure, if you want to consume nothing but powder and water for the remainder of the day. If you do as he suggested, you'd get one meal of real food, then live on powder and water. Not very ideal, if you ask me. I'd rather choose my foods a bit more carefully and be able to eat real food all day, and supplement when desired, not out of necessity.

BFGUITAR
04-15-2008, 05:29 PM
Sure, if you want to consume nothing but powder and water for the remainder of the day. If you do as he suggested, you'd get one meal of real food, then live on powder and water. Not very ideal, if you ask me. I'd rather choose my foods a bit more carefully and be able to eat real food all day, and supplement when desired, not out of necessity.

I never said it was fun/tasted good, but it is an easy way out if you just care about macros.

deeder
04-15-2008, 05:33 PM

It must suck bulking on only 3300 calories a day... I was cutting on about 100 cals less than that for about 2 months and I wanted to die I was so damn hungry.

HahnB
04-15-2008, 07:24 PM
I just assumed the OP wasn't very big. Either way, foods like large fries and Mcdonald's milk shakes aren't going to add much value to someones diet when they're trying to get in X amount of protein in a certain number of calories.

Invain
04-15-2008, 08:37 PM
I'm with HahnB on this one, sort of...

I have nothing wrong with eating cheeseburgers and nuggest, great cheap source of calories. Recomending fries and a coke along with it is pretty stupid though. I know to an extent a calorie is a calorie, but I don't consider fast food french fries or pop to hold much nutritional value, unless your goal is being as unhealthy as possible. I have nothing wrong with a good dirty bulk, and I'm getting pretty pudgey myself, but I still have my limits. I like a nice big shake once in a while but there's still a ****load of useless suger and hfc.

HahnB
04-15-2008, 08:46 PM
I eat fast food on a weekly basis, I just don't think it can/should be a part of someones daily diet. It's sort of unfair to group everything into fast food.

For example, at Chick-fil-a you can get the chicken strips which are 310 calories and have 28g of protein. This is far better than a cheeseburger that has 350 calories and only 16g of protein. With the chicken you're doubling the protein and at the same time decreasing the total calories.

If you do eat fast food, just be wise about which foods you pick. At least get something that has some protein in it. If you're going to get cheeseburgers, at least go to burger king...

getb1g
04-15-2008, 09:50 PM
If you guys ever tryed one of my burgers off the grill you would NEVER go back to McDonald's/BK ever again.

Invain
04-15-2008, 11:06 PM
I'm sure your burgers off the grill taste exactly like the bugers I make on my grill......?

dxiw
04-15-2008, 11:10 PM
If you guys ever tryed one of my burgers off the grill you would NEVER go back to McDonald's/BK ever again.

I believe you. Make me some and ship them.

Keith
04-15-2008, 11:19 PM
I was JUST going to say that.

kevowamo
04-16-2008, 07:38 AM
i always thought mcDs double cheeseburger had 25G of protein. next time youre at mcDs, flip over that ultra-entertaining piece of paper they put on the tray and confirm. but maybe you guys were just talking about a single cheeseburger..in that case, sorry i opened my mouth

Steven001
04-16-2008, 10:35 AM
As I said, I have two double cheese burgers after every workout (every second day):

Energy (KCals): 445
Protein: 29g
Total Carbohydrates: 32g
Total Fat: 22g

http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/asp/ourfood/asp/NutritionCounter.asp?mealType=sandwiches

I have plain though, don't like all the crap in them so I probably loose a little bit of everything.

Rogue
04-16-2008, 05:05 PM
There are better ways to increase your caloric intake than eating McDonalds... Of course you're going to have to spend more at the grocery store and plan your meals in advance but in the long run as far as overall health and growth is concerned eating a well balanced diet will always win over the quick and easy fix...

jAy_Dub
04-16-2008, 05:17 PM
As I said, I have two double cheese burgers after every workout (every second day):

http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/asp/ourfood/asp/NutritionCounter.asp?mealType=sandwiches

I have plain though, don't like all the crap in them so I probably loose a little bit of everything.

LOL you're kidding me right?

I cant believe some of the stuff that has been said in this thread.

Invain
04-16-2008, 05:52 PM
LOL you're kidding me right?

I cant believe some of the stuff that has been said in this thread.

:scratch:

Fixxit
04-16-2008, 06:18 PM

Maybe the UK McMaggots has better standards than they do here in the US?
I find it really hard to believe that that brown crap that they smother with condiments to remove the leather flavor is 100% beef.

The last time I have eaten fast food was more than 3 years ago when this really cute woman came to my work and bought me lunch. I choked that crap down with a smile on my face and it left a lump im my stomach for the rest of the day. It was worth it, but that's another story.

Ya'll can say a calorie is a calorie all you want, but you can't tell me that you feel the same after eating that fast food crap, as you do when you eat the same amount of healthy calories.

Learn to cook! Your body will love you for it.

jAy_Dub
04-16-2008, 07:53 PM
:scratch:

Two double $1 cheeseburgers as a post workout meal? I think thats pretty damn ridiculous, and just plain stupid. Sure, fast food once in a while when we have cravings is fine, but to eat that **** everyday, or even every other day after a workout? COME ON! Thats when we should be feeding our muscles with protein and good clean carbs for recovery, not some greasy ass burgers from McDonalds. I get fat enough on a bulk without doing that ****.

BFGUITAR
04-16-2008, 09:43 PM
Two double $1 cheeseburgers as a post workout meal? I think thats pretty damn ridiculous, and just plain stupid. Sure, fast food once in a while when we have cravings is fine, but to eat that **** everyday, or even every other day after a workout? COME ON! Thats when we should be feeding our muscles with protein and good clean carbs for recovery, not some greasy ass burgers from McDonalds. I get fat enough on a bulk without doing that ****.

The only difference between McDonalds and all the clean food is the sodium and chemicals. How much less does this affect muscle recovery? Probably not a whole lot.

jAy_Dub
04-16-2008, 10:07 PM
The only difference between McDonalds and all the clean food is the sodium and chemicals. How much less does this affect muscle recovery? Probably not a whole lot.

I think you left out the most important factor here, which would be fat.

biglift
04-16-2008, 10:16 PM
mcdonalds? yuck
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k179/jessie1148/imagegif_0.gif

BFGUITAR
04-16-2008, 10:17 PM
I think you left out the most important factor here, which would be fat.

Whats wrong with saturated fat? Saturated fat is healthy no matter where it comes from... just keep it balanced with "good" fats.

Fat from a McDonald's burger and fat from a homemade burger are both saturated fat.

RhodeHouse
04-16-2008, 10:41 PM
75g of protein from a 2,300 calorie meal is horribly inefficient.

He's trying to add calories. I'm not sure where he said 3300 calories was his limit. He said he needed to add calories. How is adding 2300 calories inefficent when you want to get bigger? Seems very simple and effective to me. Seems to work well, too. And, since he's getting enoug protein, I think we've got a winner, here.

RhodeHouse
04-16-2008, 10:50 PM
I'm with HahnB on this one, sort of...

I have nothing wrong with eating cheeseburgers and nuggest, great cheap source of calories. Recomending fries and a coke along with it is pretty stupid though. I know to an extent a calorie is a calorie, but I don't consider fast food french fries or pop to hold much nutritional value, unless your goal is being as unhealthy as possible. I have nothing wrong with a good dirty bulk, and I'm getting pretty pudgey myself, but I still have my limits. I like a nice big shake once in a while but there's still a ****load of useless suger and hfc.

All blood work is normal. BP is 112/74. Weight is 292. Dr said keep doing what you're doing. You're healthy as a horse. So, how bad can McDonalds be?

Calories are calories. As long as you get a good amount of protein in, the rest really doesn't matter. Sorry if you think it does. If you're getting ready for a BB show, it matters. But, certainly not if you're trying gain weight. I never said too eat it everyday for the rest of your life. Use it as a simple and very effective tool to gain weight, which, is what the OP wanted to do.

This isn't coming from a 150lb kid who has read about this stuff on the internet. This is coming from someone that has done it and speaks from experience. To say my advice is stupid, is just plain stupid. You don't know, because you've never done it. You think you have, therefore you think you know, but you don't. I've been there and done that and my advice comes from years of training, eating, and getting advice from those that DO know what they're talking about.

WillNoble
04-16-2008, 11:17 PM
Rhodes....again you prove why you're my hero

dxiw
04-17-2008, 12:19 AM
Whats wrong with saturated fat? Saturated fat is healthy no matter where it comes from... just keep it balanced with "good" fats.

Fat from a McDonald's burger and fat from a homemade burger are both saturated fat.

Um. Unsaturated fat is good for you. Saturated fat = heart disease. a VERY small amount is necessary..but most people eat way to much.. hence americans... obesity.. heart disease... high cholesterol..

dxiw
04-17-2008, 12:24 AM
All blood work is normal. BP is 112/74. Weight is 292. Dr said keep doing what you're doing. You're healthy as a horse. So, how bad can McDonalds be?

Calories are calories. As long as you get a good amount of protein in, the rest really doesn't matter. Sorry if you think it does. If you're getting ready for a BB show, it matters. But, certainly not if you're trying gain weight. I never said too eat it everyday for the rest of your life. Use it as a simple and very effective tool to gain weight, which, is what the OP wanted to do.

This isn't coming from a 150lb kid who has read about this stuff on the internet. This is coming from someone that has done it and speaks from experience. To say my advice is stupid, is just plain stupid. You don't know, because you've never done it. You think you have, therefore you think you know, but you don't. I've been there and done that and my advice comes from years of training, eating, and getting advice from those that DO know what they're talking about.

Listen man, I most definitely respect your advice and thank you for motivating me to workout at a real gym like TPS. What I wanted to say was that you are also fairly lucky that you can handle McDonalds.. some people can't. I know my blood pressure becomes horrible when I eat a lot of sodium and greasy food. When I gain bodyfat, I quickly get poor health markers. Now I am lean and feel great (and my health markers look good), but they are very sensitive to the way I eat. We are all built differently. While eating McDonalds will help you bulk up, I'm not sure its nutritionally sound advice to give to the general public. Why not eat 10000 clean calories / day? Again, I don't mean any of this to disagree with you or disrespect you, all I am trying to say was different things work for different people. Just like some people can do cocaine daily in huge doses for years with no problems and others get heart attack or kidney failure from one small line..

BFGUITAR
04-17-2008, 09:46 AM
Um. Unsaturated fat is good for you. Saturated fat = heart disease. a VERY small amount is necessary..but most people eat way to much.. hence americans... obesity.. heart disease... high cholesterol..

What I bolded has many flaws. Thats like saying sugar=diabetes. Am I the only one who sees the ignorance in that? We all know that eating a tablespoon of sugar isn't going to give you diabetes. Heart disease has many roots aside from saturated fat. The problem isn't that people are eating too much saturated fats but because they arent eating enough mono/poly unsaturated.

Saturated fat isn't unhealthy. That is like saying sugar is unhealthy. The only healthy thing about McDonald's like I said is the sodium and any chemicals they put in it (unless your talking friend foods, theres more crap in there). I made a thread a little whole about about what unhealthy food is. Eating some McDonalds isnt unhealthy. Eating a single high sodium meal isn't unhealthy. Eating a steak is not unhealthy. Eating McDonalds twice a day for a year IS unhealthy. Incorporating high amounts saturated fats in to ones long term diet without eating other types of fat is unhealthy.

By your definition, steak, whole milk and eggs are unhealthy. This is ludicrous.

And what is a "very small amount"? And its not about how much saturated fat you eat, but how much health promoting fats you eat with it. I eat a lot of PB and olive oil... My ratios are pretty good in that respect.

HahnB
04-17-2008, 10:01 AM

Eating Mcdonalds on a daily basis will have a negative impact on your health in the long run, there's no way around it. It's the long run that matters, anything is possible in the short term. I could use heroin for a several weeks or even months and not develop any serious health issues. I could smoke cigarettes for a few years and not really see any major health issues. So what?

You've been quoted telling people time and time again to eat Mcdonalds on a daily basis, yet when called out on it you change your position and say things like "I never said to eat it everyday". Well what exactly are you saying then? If you're advising people to consume it once in a while, it's not really going to contribute to someone gaining weight.

RhodeHouse
04-17-2008, 10:28 AM
Rhodes....again you prove why you're my hero

I love you Will. Tell Wendler he's not cool anymore.

RhodeHouse
04-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Listen man, I most definitely respect your advice and thank you for motivating me to workout at a real gym like TPS. What I wanted to say was that you are also fairly lucky that you can handle McDonalds.. some people can't. I know my blood pressure becomes horrible when I eat a lot of sodium and greasy food. When I gain bodyfat, I quickly get poor health markers. Now I am lean and feel great (and my health markers look good), but they are very sensitive to the way I eat. We are all built differently. While eating McDonalds will help you bulk up, I'm not sure its nutritionally sound advice to give to the general public. Why not eat 10000 clean calories / day? Again, I don't mean any of this to disagree with you or disrespect you, all I am trying to say was different things work for different people. Just like some people can do cocaine daily in huge doses for years with no problems and others get heart attack or kidney failure from one small line..

I don't think you're disrespecting me at all. But, he asked about the Food of the God's. Everyone is different, but not as different as we all think, in my opinion. Being in good shape helps more than anything. Your body can handle some crap if it's in shape.

That extra 1000 calories might not be doable for some. If I had to add another 1000 per day in clean food, it would kill me right now. It's much EASIER and more effective to use crap to gain the weight and then replace it with better food once you've hit you weight goal.

Here's some news for you health nuts. Gaining any significant amount of weight sucks. No matter how clean you eat, you won't feel good gaining weight. Remember when you were a kid? How much did growing pains suck balls? It's the same type of thing when you try to pile on weight. Why not do it as quickly as possible so you don't have to feel like crap that long? And, feeling good and being big are 2 things that don't always go hand in hand. Gain 40lbs as an adult and you will never feel as good as you did prior to the gain. I feel good right now at 292, but I definately felt better at 270. But, it's part of the deal with what I've chosen to do for a hobby.

RhodeHouse
04-17-2008, 10:48 AM
Eating Mcdonalds on a daily basis will have a negative impact on your health in the long run, there's no way around it. It's the long run that matters, anything is possible in the short term. I could use heroin for a several weeks or even months and not develop any serious health issues. I could smoke cigarettes for a few years and not really see any major health issues. So what?

You've been quoted telling people time and time again to eat Mcdonalds on a daily basis, yet when called out on it you change your position and say things like "I never said to eat it everyday". Well what exactly are you saying then? If you're advising people to consume it once in a while, it's not really going to contribute to someone gaining weight.

Thank you for quoting me "contradicting" myself. I have always said, for a period of time. I have never said eat it everyday for the rest of your life. I have never changed my position. You people that enjoy shooting down my methods find a way to make what I write work for you. Wow, sounds like a religious cult, to me. Twisting the words of the bible to make them say what you want them to say. I knew you were a Jim Jones-type.

If it takes 2 months, then eat it everyday for 2 months. Use it until you reach your weight gain goal. You can quote that one. "USE IT UNTIL YOU REACH YOUR WEIGHT GAIN GOAL."

Much like you used your heroin and smoking analogy. Thank you for proving my point.

And, no, I'm not changing my position. I'm re-stating it, AGAIN, for all of you that just don't seem to like what I have to say.

I eagerly await your ridiculous, misquoted, assanine response.

jAy_Dub
04-17-2008, 11:15 AM

Saturated fat is not a good thing to have after a workout. Like I said, carbs and protein. Anyone who knows anything about dieting will tell you that, pretty basic stuff here.

BFGUITAR
04-17-2008, 01:56 PM
Saturated fat is not a good thing to have after a workout. Like I said, carbs and protein. Anyone who knows anything about dieting will tell you that, pretty basic stuff here.

I agree, not completely. Saturated fats arent "bad" after a workout. It will not make a difference in the long run. If you had an adequate preworkout meal (carbs and protein), you should be fine afterwards. Something like 50g of carbs and 50g of protein will take well over an hour to completely digest and absorb. Therefore when you are done your workout your slowly being fed carbs+protein from your preworkout shake.

Old school lifters never stressed "must have carbs+protein after a work out". Just lift, eat and sleep. Gaining muscle is a very long procedure, having some meal of carbs/protein will not make a huge at all, assuming it does.

HahnB
04-17-2008, 03:52 PM
I may just try your diet Rhodes for a few weeks and see how it goes. I'll eat mcdonalds everyday.

HahnB
04-24-2008, 01:39 PM
A fast food diet is expensive. Ive cut out everything but water, even shakes. Ive only had 2 shakes in the last week. My weight is up but I came down with a cold Monday. This diet may prove to be more useful than originally suspected.

mbrownyj
04-24-2008, 07:30 PM
McDonalds is probably one of the most unhealthiest things someone could ever eat. Wouldn't you want to stay away from that place if your trying to get in shape?

BFGUITAR
04-24-2008, 08:20 PM
McDonalds is probably one of the most unhealthiest things someone could ever eat. Wouldn't you want to stay away from that place if your trying to get in shape?

Yes and no.
Typically the people who go there dont care about themselves, eat this crap without knowing how much they eat.

Eating this crap while exercising and KNOWING how much you are eating so you don't over eat is key.

Unhealthy people abuse McDonald's... we see it as a tool

JSully
04-25-2008, 10:21 AM
is lot cheaper to eat double cheeseburgers than buy weight gainer... lol

Mik
04-25-2008, 11:02 AM
is lot cheaper to eat double cheeseburgers than buy weight gainer... lol

And so damned tasty!

bjohnso
04-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Maybe they should make cheeseburger flavored weight gainer?

Mik
04-25-2008, 11:08 AM
Maybe they should make cheeseburger flavored weight gainer?

http://smilies.vidahost.com/otn/puke/barfy.gif