PDA

View Full Version : Bench press advice needed

pender45
04-15-2008, 06:18 PM
Hey I have been working out for about 5 or 6 months straight and am looking to go to a PL meet in June. I am looking to break a national record for my weight class/age. The previous record was 264 and i just put up 275 this weekend, but i guess that in meets you have to do a pause bench and i heard that was harder. I just wanted to know if that is gonna be harder than a regular bench. Basically, how much harder is a pause bench than a regular bench? Will my max go down?

Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

deeder
04-15-2008, 06:19 PM
Yup you will most likely bench less with a paused bench. Get in the gym and start practicing! You'll only be able to find out how much weaker you are with a pause if you start doing them.

I do all my bench work paused except for my speed bench.

pender45
04-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Ok so how long do i need to pause? 2-3 secs?

deeder
04-15-2008, 06:22 PM
Ok so how long do i need to pause? 2-3 secs?

Nope... It will depend what federation you are competing in but most rulebooks say that the bar must be motionless on the chest.

pender45
04-15-2008, 06:25 PM
Hmm ok cool I will look into it. Thanks man

deeder
04-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Hmm ok cool I will look into it. Thanks man

I forgot to mention that some (most?) powerlifting feds have a 'press' command. So you pause until they tell you to press it! The IPF just started using a press command last year.

smokinHawk
04-16-2008, 08:35 AM
my pause bench is about 15-20lbs less then my touch and go.
for practicing i would practice with a 2 second pause, seems about were most feds with the press command wait to give you the press command.

drew
04-16-2008, 09:04 AM
Some feds/judges will give you a much faster press command than others. If you have the bar relatively motionless and under control you should get an immediate press command. I don't think I've ever waited more than a second for a press command. It helps if you have a training partner who can call the press for you in training.

Big LaP
04-16-2008, 07:46 PM
I agree, having a training partner giving you a press command makes a world of difference. I have a partner that does that while doing raw,shirt,boards etc. It gives me the job of just paying attention to pushing the weight.

pender45
04-17-2008, 07:23 PM
ok cool ill try to get my coach in the weight room with me tomorow and try that out. thanks guys