PDA

View Full Version : From Fatass to Badass

Pages : [1] 2

Dirk Pitt
04-16-2008, 11:53 PM
Well I am turning my whole life around. I am on a new career path, and have decided that I am sick and tired of being a fatass. My RL buddy forum member Kiaran and I got back in touch a couple months ago after hardly talking to each other in the last 5 years. He showed me some stuff in his garage gym, got me hooked on iron, and I joined a gym last week. My current weight is 280, and I am 6'2''. Max deadlift is 440, don't know max bench or squat yet. I may have to hold off on squats for awhile as I have some knee problems and squats really aggravate those, but hopefully as I get in better shape the knee problems will get better. The only goals I have right now are to get in better shape, and I want to get my deads up to 525 by August. Kiaran introduced me to this forum and suggested I start a journal so here I am.
This week my split is Back/Triceps on Monday, Chest/Biceps Wed, and Legs on Fri, with cardio Monday through Friday. I have the frame to pack on a ton of muscle, so that is what I want to do once I get rid of some fat. I plan on switching triceps and biceps next week, because my tri's were still sore from Monday on bench today. Anyways, here is my workout for today:

Jump Ropes
4 X 100 with 60-75s rest

Shoulder Rehab 1
10x10lbs
10x10lbs
10x10lbs

Shoulder Rehab 2
10x10lbs
10x10lbs
10x10lbs

Incline Bench Press
135x7
135x7
135x5 (almost failed 5th rep)

Flat Bench Press
165x5
155x7
155x5 (almost failed 5th rep)

Flat DB Flys
20's x 12
30's x 8
30's x 6

Puss Ups
2 sets of 5

Jump Ropes
4X100 w/ 60-90s rest

The shoulder rehab exercises are a holdover from my HS swimming days when I had some bad rotator cuff issues. They are done on an adjustable cable machine, with the cable height set at elbow height. I do them as a warm up for bench to keep the rotator cuff issues at bay. You bend your elbow 90 deg, with your arm tucked tight against your body, and pull the cable your full range of motion across your chest. The second one is the opposite, starting with your arm across your chest and pulling out your full range of motion while keeping your elbow tight against your side. I can only do 1 pull up, so I call my pull ups puss ups. I jump up to the top pull up position and then lower myself down as slowly as I can. I also do jump ropes for my cardio on lifting days. I do half of them as my warm up, and the other half after my lifts. If I tried to do 8 sets of 100 in a row I would keel over, so I break them up. It also takes me 50-60 sec to complete 1 set of ropes, with the later sets getting slower as I land on the rope from fatigue and have to get started again. Overall it felt like a good workout today, I could barely turn the steering wheel on the drive back from the gym. Looking forward to Deads on Friday.

Kiaran
04-17-2008, 11:54 AM
What up dude. First, thanks for all the kind words, bro. I'm glad you're finding your path and that I could have some positive influence in your life. I don't have much time to post right now, but just wanted to let you know all that. I'll stop in again a little later to give my thoughts on the workout.

Dirk Pitt
04-17-2008, 10:00 PM
Cardio day, tried some HIIT Training and it kicked my ass hardcore. I did it on the exercise bike. I did a 7 minute warmup, then cranked the resistance way up and pedaled as hard as I could for 30 sec, which got my heart rate to 177, then lowered the resistance and took it easy. From doing some reading my target high HR should be 176 or above, and I want to get it down to 126 during the rest. Well after 3 minutes of barely pedaling with the lowest resistance my HR was only down to 149. I hit it hard again, but could only manage 25 sec this time, and my HR only got to 165. After another 3 minutes I was down to 153, and I cranked the resistance up again, but only managed 20 sec this time, again getting my hr up to 165 or so. I tried to cool down afterwards but could not. I got off the bike and made it 10 steps before I collapsed and had to lay down on the floor for about 5 minutes or so trying not to puke and or pass out while waves of nausea / light-headedness came over me. After that I was able to make it to the locker room, where I had to sit on a bench for another 5 minutes before I could even start to change. Also when I was laying on the ground immediately after getting off the machine my legs hurt more than they have ever hurt in my life, and I have done some gnarly mtn bike rides so I am used to leg pain. I think I am goinig to have to not try to do 3 sets and just do 2 and slowly work my way up. My breathing was still not back to normal 20 minutes after getting off the bike.

Also did Dead Lift 135 X 10 to work on my form.

Dirk Pitt
04-19-2008, 09:16 AM
Friday's routine was a pretty good one. I'm pretty sore today, was pretty sore last night and ended up getting about 5 hours of sleep only :(

Ropes
3 x 100

Deads
7 x 135
7 x 225
7 x 315
6 x 365
5 x 385
2 x 415 (pr)

Hamstring Curls
10 x 135
6 x 150
5 x 150

Leg Press
10 x 380
10 x 470
7 x 560

On the Leg Press I just put how much I put on the sled as I do not know the weight of the empty sled. I have also lost 4lbs since last Wednesday, from 280 to 276.

cphafner
04-19-2008, 10:14 AM
Welcome and good luck with your goals!

Kiaran
04-19-2008, 12:11 PM
Hey, dude. Damn fine stuff with those deads! Gonna be passing me up very shortly :) Pretty nice choice of moves there as well. Definitely don't bother trying to figure out how much the sled adds to the lift. I always just track levered and sled machines as +xxx for the weight because who the **** really knows what it translates to in three dimensions. All you really know is if it's hard, it's hard, right? Also, nice job on dropping 4 lbs in less than a week! That's some serious loss right there. Keep it going, bro...and get more sleep, that's when the real transformation is happening!

Dirk Pitt
04-21-2008, 11:37 PM
Monday, weird workout.

Ropes
1 x 100
1 x 63 ( rope came apart)

Exercise Bike
15 min warm up

Shoulder Rehab Exercises (both)
10 x 10
10 x 10
10 x 10

Flat Bench Press
7 x 155
6 x 155
6 x 155

Dead Lift
7 x 225
7 x 315
7 x 365 (pr + 1 rep)

T-Bar Rows
12 x 115
10 x 135
8 x 150

This weekend I am heading up to Kiaran's and am going for ME on Bench and Deads, which is why I did both today. I was not planning on doing deads, as I did them on Friday, but I was feeling pretty good and wanted to get them in once more before Saturday. I'm really stoked about getting that 7th rep of 365. I did want to do some puss ups, but after deads and T-Bars my forearms were shot and there was no way I could hang onto the bar. The rest of the week I plan on just doing cardio every day, hopefully the weather holds and I can get out and do some mountain biking with my buddy who needs to get on the bike to rehab 2 broken ankles from crashing his dirt bike in August.

Dirk Pitt
04-21-2008, 11:39 PM
Hafner: Thanks for stopping by.

Kiaran I know I need more sleep, I was pretty sore and basically tossed and turned trying to get comfortable all night.

Jaybird88
04-22-2008, 12:05 AM
Lookin' great in here, dude. Deads are STRONG!

Dirk Pitt
04-22-2008, 01:07 PM
Jaybird: Thanks man! Deads keep me motivated. They are ****in' improving so fast I can't believe it. There is just something really cool in my mind about picking up a ****load of weight off the floor. I feel like a pussy with everything upper body though. I really need to work the arms and chest. I've just always had really big, strong legs since I was a kid.

ddegroff
04-22-2008, 08:22 PM
Strong numbers bro!

With the HIIT, go shorter time. 15sec/45sec rest, work up to 30sec work. That should help you keep up the intesity through out. It should only take you 10-15mins at most.

Keep up the good work!

Indifference
04-22-2008, 08:44 PM
Nice journal man, You have some sick deads progression. When you go up and lift with K this weekend you need to make sure and get some on film, I could use some inspiration with them! Keep up the good work dirk!

Dirk Pitt
04-22-2008, 10:35 PM
ddegroff: Thanks for the advice, I will try that next time I do HIIT for sure. I think I am going to stick to just the straight up boring long cardio routines for the next few weeks though to get myself in better cardiovascular shape before I do HIIT again, but I will definitely be doing it in the future. HIIT at 8600ft altitude as out of shape as I am is just too brutal I think.

Indifference: Thanks dude! Pics, Vids and Measurements are all on the list of things to do at K's this weekend for sure. My goal for ME deads is a minimum of 450, I am really hoping for 455.

Reading the journals and having people post in my thread is really motivating, much more than I thought it would be. I see what all you guys are doing, and the progress you have made which just makes me want to hit the iron as hard as I can.

Runty
04-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Congrats on getting the journal started man. From the vids and pics Kiaran's gym is a great environment to lift in. Also, is Dirk Pitt the guy from Clive Kessler(sp?) books? My pops reads those.

Dirk Pitt
04-22-2008, 10:55 PM
Tuesday, Apr 22. Cardio Day :(

Rowing Machine
20 minutes, 250 cal burned, resistance lvl 7.

Exercise Bike
30 min, 284 cal burned, HR between 145-155bpm, pedal speed 85-95rpm. Resistance lvl alternated between 4 and 5, with the last minute at 6.

534 cal in 50 minutes isn't too bad. I was surprised I lasted so long on the rowing machine, especially having done Deads yesterday. I really didn't have any DOMs today, which was surprising considering how tired I was after yesterday's workout. I guess I should have pushed myself harder yesterday, I am kind of upset with myself for not being sore today. The rows really ****ing wore my ass out though, that ****ing machine is BRUTAL. They were a really good warm up for the bike, got everything loose and the sweat going, and the sweat just kept pouring out of me on the bike. I really hate cardio, and am not looking forward to the rest of the week being cardio only as I need to be well rested and not sore for the brutality that is Kiaran's Garage Gym this weekend. I need to lose weight though, so the cardio is definitely necessary. I want to be more specific with my goals, so my newest goal is to drop down to between 240 and 225, depending on how I look, and then start eating like a maniac to pack on the muscle.

Dirk Pitt
04-22-2008, 11:02 PM
Runty: Thanks for stopping by man! Yes, Dirk Pitt is from the Clive Cussler books. I started reading his books in 5th or 6th grade, and he is one of my favorite authors, always good for some light reading.

Coke
04-23-2008, 06:00 AM
On the move in here, clearly got some plans.

Dirk Pitt
04-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Coke: Yeah, I have wanted to get myself in good shape for a long time now, and I have the skeletal structure to be a ****ing beast, so I am finally going to go for it.

Not doing anything today, I was going to do cardio, but I have been averaging about 6 hours of sleep the last week, and today my dad had to be admitted to the hospital because of some heart issues that the doctors have been trying to figure out for a couple years now. Between all that and the all day programming class I have been taking I just ran out of energy and there was no way I was going to ride an exercise bike for an hour tonight. It needs to be saturday already so I can pick up something heavy. Meh, ****ty day :(

Kiaran
04-23-2008, 11:22 PM
Damn, I can't believe your dad's in the ER again, man. Let me know if you need anything or I can help at all. Sorry man.

On another note, your determination lately has been unrivaled, bro. Really liking the attitude of this new dude you're becoming. Getting **** dialed in and you'll start dropping weight like crazy with all that cardio. I definitely couldn't hang with you on that ****, lol, I'd be puking everywhere. Keep your head up and just keep crushing it, bro!

Dirk Pitt
04-24-2008, 01:08 PM
K: Thanks, I think I finally got my head screwed on straight. My dad has really taken a turn for the worse lately. He is at the point now where he can only walk 30 or 40 ft before he gets winded and has to stop to take a break. They think it might be a rare condition caused by Crohn's (sp) disease where a protein is released that settles in the heart and liver, for which there is no treatment, and is usually fatal within 2 years of the onset of symptoms, and my dad has been having these symptoms for over 3 years now. Hopefully that's not the case but things really don't look good right now.

Keith
04-24-2008, 02:50 PM
Strong stuff in here, dude. Welcome to the site, too.

Dirk Pitt
04-24-2008, 05:44 PM
Keith: Thanks dude

Workout Thurs Apr 24: Cardio : Hiking

So it was a nice day out and I decided **** the cardio machines, I have a nice hill in my backyard. It's probably between 500-800 ft tall, I'll take a picture of it sometime. Anyways there is a system of trails in there that connects into National Forest. I hiked up my favorite trail up to the top, where the enchilada I ate before the hike decided to come up for a visit with the outside world. Pretty hard hike, its fairly steep most of the way with a couple really steep sections. One is about a 40deg incline for 100 yards or so and the other varies between 35-45 deg for 250-300 yards. After the first 300 yards or so, which are probably the least steep part, I was breathing hard like a mother****er. I had to stop 3 times for 15-30 sec breaks, but I pushed myself pretty hard. I just kept putting 1 foot in front of the other until I was at the top though, then turned around and hauled ass back down. I ran a few of the sections on the way down. Total time of 1 hour 10 minutes, and I would say 50 minutes was climb with 20 minutes to get back down, maybe 15 minutes down. I will bring a watch with me next time so I can time my splits, there are certain landmarks where I used to always stop to toke up :) and I will use those for splits, plus total time up and total time down. The calves felt it pretty good going up and the quads got their turn coming down. It was really great to get out into nature again, it's nice and peaceful and relaxing, even when your heart is trying to escape from your chest :D. Also I was wearing heavy ass work boots.

Kiaran
04-24-2008, 11:33 PM
Oh hell yeah. Hiking is a crazy ass workout, man. Especially at your altitude; no **** you were probably breathing hard and throwing up, lol! You paint a good picture, I can almost smell the clean air...then I picture your enchilada, haha! Sorry to hear about your dad, man. That really sucks. See ya this weekend.

Indifference
04-24-2008, 11:35 PM
Man that is pretty awesome that you have trails and stuff and a national park pretty much in your backyard. Would be a lot better than the cardio crap most of us have to deal with haha.

Coke
04-25-2008, 05:55 AM
Impressed to see some hiking this way...hope things brighten for your dad, sorry to hear of his plight.

ddegroff
04-25-2008, 08:25 AM
ddegroff: Thanks for the advice, I will try that next time I do HIIT for sure. I think I am going to stick to just the straight up boring long cardio routines for the next few weeks though to get myself in better cardiovascular shape before I do HIIT again, but I will definitely be doing it in the future. HIIT at 8600ft altitude as out of shape as I am is just too brutal I think.

Stop making excuses about the altitude. I'm assuming you live up there so you body's use to it. Just focus on getting in shape.
/rant

Great job on the last few cardio workouts. Hiking's awesome, where did you go? You could try intervals also. One min as hard as you can, One min slower "rest" repeat for 25-35mins. Make the cardio more effiecent vs more time.

Keep up the great work bro! I'm just giving you ways to make the weight loss easier.

Dirk Pitt
04-25-2008, 01:40 PM
K: Really looking forward to seeing you this evening.

Indiff: Yes, I really love the area that I live in, it is a nature lover's paradise. SOOO many places for Mtn biking, hiking etc.

Coke: Thanks for the kind words.

DDE: Thanks for the advice, I have no-one to blame for my being out of shape except myself. I think my non-lifting days are going to be hiking from now on, weather permitting. Right now HIIT on the hill is not an option, just making up the damn thing has my heart rate through the roof, and coming down it's a steep, uneven surface with not a lot of traction. There are a couple places where I can jog, but a lot of places where it is hard to stay on my feet even at a fast walk, and the last thing I want to do is take a tumble down the hill or plant a foot wrong and **** up a knee or ankle. I also remembered a goal I set for myself in the fall and that is to hike to the summit of pikes peak (up the shorter back side, the Crags trail out of Divide. Barr trail is a 24 mile round trip and I ain't doing that anytime soon.) I made it up to Devil's Playground at the end of last summer, which is at like 12,900 ft or something, with the Crags trail head at 10,500 and the summit at 14,100. So if I want to be doing that I need to get my body used to longer hikes. Next week I will try to make my hikes it 2 round trips on my "backyard" trail. As to where it is I will post a google maps frame from both satellite and topo map view from K's account later tonight showing my starting and ending locations, but for some reason my post count is STILL showing zero and it wont let me post a links or embed frames until I have a post count of 10. Looking at the Topo map I am starting at right around 8500 ft and ending at around 9300ft.

Also, the research my dad did into the protein he might have was wrong, his doctor told him that he could have had this condition for over 20 years and it's just taken this long to get really bad. If it is the worst case scenario he might be eligible for a heart transplant, and his problems are caused by something else it should be treatable, so that is good news. They do a heart biopsy on him today and that should tell them what the root cause is. </thread derail>

Kiaran
04-28-2008, 11:43 PM
Dude, had a blast over the weekend. Dawn of War is definitely an addicting as hell game, lol! Sorry I got you hooked on it. Glad you're pumped about the new routine. I think it will work out pretty well for you. Looking forward to seeing how today's routine went. Get some posts going on the other rooms so that you can post up photos and stuff. I'll try and remember to send you what shots I took from Saturday's workout as well. Also, that's really good news that your dad came home and is doing better. That's always scary ****. How'd the show go on Sunday as well and how is Mase doing?

Dirk Pitt
04-29-2008, 11:57 AM
K: DoW is sick, we need to hook up on hamachi and play a few games. Mase is doing well, I am sure he is sore after rocking out 2 days in a row. The show went great, we hung out with the band before and after the show, and they tore it up during the show. Mase got the mic shoved in his face a couple times to scream some lyrics so that was pretty sweet. Lots of thanks on all your help over the weekend, I'm still pissed I couldn't do ME deads and bench, but oh well.

Update from the Weekend, with new goals

Friday I ****ed up my back and pinched a nerve really bad, everytime I moved either of my arms I got shooters up and down my arms from shoulder to pinky tip. Went to the chiropractor for the first time in about a year, and he really did a number on me. He did myofascial release on my lats and RC's, adjusted my shoulders, neck, upper back, hips and lower back. When it came time to lift over the weekend it just was not happening, my lower back just above my tailbone was just feeling weird with the weight. On deads 225, which for me is basically a warm-up weight felt like about 385, and I could not even pick up 365. K helped me out a lot on my bench form, I was doing it all wrong, rotating my shoulders forward and causing shoulder pain. He also helped me put together a new 4 day split.

New Split
Monday
H-Rolls, T-Bar Rows, Mill Press, Curls, Core

Tuesday
Leg Press, Lunges, Leg Curls

Thursday
H-Rolls, Bench, Chins, Narrow Grip Bench or JM Press, Core

Friday
Deads, Box Jumps, Ropes

Also K busted out the calipers of doom and took skinfold measurements for bodyfat, I am at 25% bf @ ~275lbs and my goal is to get down to 15%, so it is looking like the 230-240 lb range should do that, depending on how much muscle gets put on.

Dirk Pitt
04-29-2008, 12:18 PM
Monday, Apr 28

Rowing Machine
10 min @ resistance 7, 135 avg watts.

RC Warmup Exercises
3 sets @ 10lbs

H-Rolls
10 x 17
10 x 17
10 x 14

T-Bar Rows
135 x 12
160 x 12
170 x 8

Mill Press
75 x 8
70 x 8
70 x 6

DB Curls
25 x 10
25 x 9
25 x 8

Rowing Machine
10 min @ resistance 7, 126 avg watts.

Felt really good during and after the workout, I think it went really well. After the shoulder and upper back work the rowing machine was pretty hard when I got back on it at the end of the workout, couldn't go quite as hard as I did for my warm-up.

MillerTime1485
04-29-2008, 12:52 PM
You have some insane goals set for yourself (the best kind), just work your ass off and you'll be a new man in no time.

Indifference
04-29-2008, 01:39 PM
LOL I saw dawn of war and I as like ORLY. I just got done playing a match actually... strange coincidence. Nice lifting mr pitt. How you like them H-rolls? Kinda deceptive when you pick up 15lb dumbells and expect it to be a cakewalk and then halfway through your like *oh *****. So do you guys play DoW through Hamachi? I might need to play with you guys sometime, I got a few friends here and we do the same thing. Also if you like DoW you really REALLY need to play Company of Heroes, its more addicting then DoW. Oh and I hope you have the expansion too.

ddegroff
04-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Sounds good about the hiking stuff. My dad wants to hit up some 14er's this summer so I was curious.

New routine looks good! Keep up the good work!

Dirk Pitt
04-29-2008, 02:45 PM
MillerTime: I don't know, they don't really seem insane for me. Several years ago I dropped from around 280 to 220 in 90 days by basically working cardio like a maniac and not eating. Then I went off to USMC boot camp, where my body revolted from losing the weight too quickly at the same time my DI's decided I was too fat and stopped letting me eat ANY protein, because apparently they were morons when it came to nutrition and thought that would help me lose fat and add muscle, with the predictable results. I shipped out able to run a mile and a half in like 9:30 I think and came back weak and unable to run more than 1/4 mile. This time I am starting off with way more muscle than I had back then, I was probably like 30%bf or higher, I was a real tub o' lard when I started losing weight the first time. When I first started training back then my 1 mile time was just over 14 min, so REALLY out of shape. I'm going to lose the weight in a healthy manner this time, so it should be a cakewalk compared to that ****.

Indifference: It sounds like I REALLY REALLY need to run and hide from CoH, getting super addicted to computer games is the last thing I need right now with everything else on my plate. I am for sure down to fire up hamachi and play some DoW with you, and yes, I do have the expansions. I'm really lovin' the H-Rolls. Given my previous experience with shoulder exercises I figured I would be doing super light weight as soon as I saw the video of them, so not much of a surprise for me there.

DDE: Hiking is lots of fun, but the big climbs really kick your ass. On the steep stuff coming down can be harder than going up. I will go post in some other subforums to get my post count up and then I can show you exactly where I am hiking.

T FLEX
04-29-2008, 02:55 PM
Well I am turning my whole life around...
Anyways, here is my workout for today:

Puss Ups
2 sets of 5

Hmmmm... These sound quite interesting. Might have to work them into my new routine. :D

Dirk Pitt
04-30-2008, 12:08 AM
Tuesday Apr 29: Leg Day

Cardio: Rowing Machine
25 minutes @ resistance lvl 7, avg wattage 147

Leg Press
400 x 10
490 x 8
580 x 6
670 x 2 (****ing hard)

Hammy Curls
135 x 10
150 x 6
135 x 7

1 Leg Step Ups
BW+90 x 8
BW+90 x 8
BW+90 x 6

Workout went really well today. The rower kicked my ass over 25 minutes, especially at the high wattage (for me anyway). The second rep at 670 on leg press was really hard, the sled was barely moving on both reps but I got them. For the step ups I took a small wooden bench they have for visitors to sit on, it is about 3 ft long, 2 ft wide and about 1 inch taller than a bench press bench (I put it next to one for comparison). My legs are pretty toast, when I got to the locker room my arms were shaking, and I am waddling around like a goddamn penguin right now, all I need is a tux. I'm sure the doms will be a bitch the next couple days, but oh well, I wanted to slay my legs and I did.

Coke
04-30-2008, 06:22 AM
Good job for both days bro.

Keith
04-30-2008, 08:36 AM
Lol I like comparing myself to a penguin at times, too. Nice session, bud. Why leg press as opposed to squats?

ddegroff
04-30-2008, 02:59 PM
good work!

I'm looking forward to that.

Dirk Pitt
04-30-2008, 04:32 PM
Here is where I hike. I go between points a and b, the trail goes up the meadow there, which is now being developed, and then comes out about 20 ft from Rampart Range Rd on that access road where the second marker is.

Here is Sat View

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=9704976529107479152,38.997897,-105.024247&saddr=741+majestic+pkwy,+80863&daddr=NF-300%2FRampart+Range+Rd+%4038.997897,+-105.024247&mra=pi&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=15&sll=38.991971,-105.035648&sspn=0.022982,0.032959&ie=UTF8&ll=38.995073,-105.031743&spn=0.022981,0.032959&t=h&z=15
And here is terrain view:

And here is Terrain View:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=9704976529107479152,38.997897,-105.024247&saddr=741+majestic+pkwy,+80863&daddr=NF-300%2FRampart+Range+Rd+%4038.997897,+-105.024247&mra=pi&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=15&sll=38.991971,-105.035648&sspn=0.022982,0.032959&ie=UTF8&ll=38.995073,-105.031743&spn=0.022981,0.032959&t=p&z=15

Dirk Pitt
04-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Keith: I tried squats at K's a couple months ago and my knees just could not take it. With my old job I would spend hours at a time in a full squat, and it jacked up my knees. They are getting better and I plan on changing to squats over the summer as my knees improve.

Coke: Thanks for the encouragement.

Runty
04-30-2008, 08:29 PM
That looks like a really cool place to hike. You lucky mountaineers have all the fun. Have you tried doing TKEs for your knees at all? I've been doing some reading and they sound like a great way to improve knee health. Sensei has them in one of his squat videos. (band around the back of knee and put foot down and bend) Pretty simple and effective from what I've read.

Kiaran
05-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Man, you've been hittin the H-Rolls like crazy :D How are they working out for you? Also, how's the mil press feel and what did you think of the step ups? If you really want to take the step ups for a ride, try doing them one leg at a time. So push yourself up completely with only one leg on the step (takes a little balance and getting used to), never letting your other foot up onto the step to assist, and then lower back down on the same leg. Do all reps on the same leg, then switch legs. I call them box lunges. I'm liking what I'm seeing lately, bro. Hope you are diggin the new routine :) Definitely do like Runty says and check out Sensei's Squat RX vids. They are all worth your time.

Dirk Pitt
05-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Runty: Thanks for the advice, I will go watch the vids now. It really is a cool place to live, I have some pictures from the same trail that I took last summer, I may post a couple so you so poor flat-landers can see what you are missing.

K: I am definitely liking the H-Rolls. Just having done them really only once on monday my shoulders felt way better than they usually do after an upper body workout. Looking forward to doing them again tonight before bench / chins. With the step ups I was doing box lunges, only working 1 leg at a time with my other leg not touching the box. I just did what I saw you doing in your vid the other day :). I had to really concentrate on not using my other leg on the initial push off, and a couple times I caught myself helping with my calf, but for the first time doing them I think I did ok. The really fun part about them is that even though the bench I use looks stable it is pretty wobbly, especially on the mat, and the first few reps I was a little worried about it tipping over, but that just makes it more fun for the stabilizers when the box is moving around under a shaky leg :).

Indifference
05-01-2008, 02:51 PM
Man I was checkin out those maps and that looks like a beautiful place. However between point A and point B im pretty sure I saw what could lightly be called an *incline*... ewww inclines. Ill stick with flat ground thank you! Strong work the other day also. Sounds like youve got a plan to re-incorporate squats. Lookin forward to seein it!

Dirk Pitt
05-02-2008, 12:18 AM
Thursday, May 01: Bench Day

Cardio Warmup: Rowing Machine
25 min, resistance 7, 137 avg watts

RC Warmups
3 sets 10lbs

H-Rolls
10 x 17
10 x 17
10 x 15

Bench
95 x 10
115 x 10
135 x 8
145 x 7
155 x 7
165 x 6
175 x 3
185 x 3
195 x 2
205 x 1
215 x 0
Deadlift - 215 x 1

Narrow Grip Bench
95 x 10
105 x 8
115 x 6

Puss Ups
BW x 8
BW x 5
BW x 5

Bench was ****ing SICK today. Gotta give all the credit to Kiaran, before when I would bench 135 or above my RC's would be screaming with pain, but I felt ZERO shoulder pain at all since he fixed my form. The advice he gave me about unloading from the rack helped a ton too, it feels SOOOO much lighter if you take in a huge deep breath and squeeze the bar as tight as you can. I wasn't expecting to go so heavy, but I just kept adding weight and it kept feeling really really good so I would add more weight and do another set. Failure at 215 sucked without a spotter, I wish I had it on video so you guys could laugh at me. I had to flex my abs really hard and roll the bar down my gut to my hips, then I sat up, shifted the bar to my quads, stood up and set the weight down. Then I dead-lifted the bar up and racked it lol. On the chin ups I got 1 real one the first set, and then had to the jumping up / lowering slowly down for everything else. I wasn't feeling the workout at all until I got into the locker room and went to take my shirt off. My shirt felt like it weighed 100lbs.

Indiff: Thanks for stopping by man, the incline isn't too bad, and I think I have a picture on my hard drive from just down the road at the top. I'll post it tomorrow, and hit up a bunch of journals too. I am just too tired for anything else tonight.

Dirk Pitt
05-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Well yesterday was deadlift day and it sucked again. My low back was pretty sore when I was warming up on the rower, and went I went to lift there was quite a bit of pain in my spine just above my tailbone. I got up to 365 and could not pull it. Got pretty mentally discouraged and was not in any state to continue working out so I just left the gym in disgrace at that point. Today I did my hike again, total time of 1 hr 7 min, it was 39 minutes to the top. Felt pretty good, took a little break to watch a woodpecker for a minute or so on the way up. Woodpeckers are cool. I also spent a little over an hour with a power rake de-thatching my parents lawn. That stupid thing found every hole in the yard (there are many) and got stuck in all of them, requiring me to push it out with my wonderful chest doms going full blast. My chest and back actually feel quite a bit better after the hike for some reason.

Indifference
05-03-2008, 07:20 PM
Lol. woodpeckers are cool eh? Sounds a lot better then watching the little red bars moving across a treadmill Ill give that to you! Solid work on the bench. It definitely can hurt and suck (im a huge example) if your form isnt right. Keep up the work there and youll be at 2 plates in no time. Id say not to bother with the DL's if your back was already sore, could have done some squats instead haha! Keep up the good work big guy!

oh and raking does suck. alot.

Coke
05-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Just get back in there and kill those deads next time...not doing bad bro, staying on the move.

Kiaran
05-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Jesus, dude. That's some bench with a little more bench, a side of bench and finish off with some more bench. No wonder you got stuck at the end. Surprised you even bothered with the CG Bench afterwards and the "puss" ups, lol! Glad to hear the form is working out. Now we just need to get your squats going and you're set :) Next time probably warm up to 155 on the bench (3-5 reps for warmups), then put your effort into the heavier weight. I'll bet you'll nail 215+ next time. Also, get a spot or leave the collars off so you can dump the bar if you get into trouble. Good stuff, man, coming along!

Dirk Pitt
05-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Indiff: Yeah, woodpeckers are definitely better to look at than little bars on a treadmill lol. Thanks for stopping by. The power raking actually wasn't that bad compared to the next day when I mowed all that **** up. 18 large black trash bags full of grass, not including the side yard, which will be another 8 probably. I get to do that tomorrow, unless it rains again.

Coke: Thanks for the encouragement bro! It really means a lot.

K: Thanks man! I am for sure not putting collars on when I go heavy anymore. My abs were tender for a few days after rolling that much weight over them.

Dirk Pitt
05-07-2008, 11:14 PM
Well my back was not happy after filling all the trash bags up with grass, so I had to go back to the chiro on monday. My tailbone was rotated in 2 different directions, and my right hip was rotated forward, making my right leg shorter than my left. The combination of the 2 was definitely affecting my strength. When laying flat on my stomach, and doing straight leg raises, I could barely lift my right leg, and my left leg would go way up. Once the chiro was done my right leg could lift as high as my left so that is good. He recommended taking a couple days off from lifting after the adjustment, since it was so jacked, so I did not lift mon or tues. I also found out the exact specs for the crags trail up pikes peak, it is 12.5 miles round trip, with either 3800 or 4200ft elevation change, depending on which source you look at, and takes about 8 hours at a decent pace. Given that making it up that mountain is a goal I REALLY want to hit this summer I am dropping leg days and replacing them with LOTS of hiking up steep hills. The hiking will also burn lots of cals and help me lose weight. Anyways, here is today's workout...

Workout for Wed May 07
Hiking
Backyard trail. Time to top:36min (pr -3min)
total hike time 1hr5min

H-Rolls
10 x 20 (pr +3rep)
12 x 17
12 x 15(pr+2lb)

Kroc Rows
50 x 25
55 x 20
55 x 20 (pr by default)

T-Bar Rows
bar+115 x 12
bar + 135 x 10
bar + 160 x 8 (pr + 35lb)
I was assuming 45lb for the bar in the past, but K told me that I should not count the bar weight, which is why it looks like I did less weight, but the last set was actually a 35lb pr from last week. Don't know how that happened, but it did

Mill Press
85 x 9
95 x 7(pr + 15lb)
95 x 5

Curls
30 x 10 (pr + 5lb)
30 x 8
25 x 8

Really ****ing pumped about tonight's workout. I don't know if it was seeing the chiro or what, but I set some pretty big PR's. Really don't know where the strength came from, but I am SUPER stoked about the T-Bar and Millie sets. I also tried Kroc rows for the first time tonight. I liked them with the exception that they hurt my shoulders a little, but I think that is because I didn't have my shoulders pulled back enough on the first set. I plan on keeping them in the routine unless the shoulder problems get worse with them, but they felt better on the later sets when I concentrated on keeping my shoulder blades squeezed together. Really feel like a beast after all those pr's, but I will now go read coke's journal and feel like a fluffy kitten, meow.
Edit: On the T-Bar rows and Mills I could not remember what weight I did last week, so I was basically "I think I was doing around this much" and it felt really good, so I kept it up. Then I got back home, looked at my numbers from last week and was all Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

Indifference
05-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Solid work Dirk! That seems like a long ass distance too btw. Maybe thats because im fat and a flight of stairs makes me want to die... Keep it up man!

Keith
05-08-2008, 02:41 PM
Awesome stuff, Dirk! Great PR's all around. I like the high rep stuff with the kroc rows. Try increasing the weight and decreasing the reps next time. I think the reason Matt Kroczaleski does them with such high reps is because the dumbbells, wherever he trains, only goes so high. Chiro's are great, eh?

Coke
05-09-2008, 05:50 AM
Impressive stuff man.

Dirk Pitt
05-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Workout for Fri May 09

Hiking
Backyard trail + side trails on way down.
Time to top 32 min (pr -4min)
Total hike time 1hr 24 min

I was planning on doing Bench today, but my left bicep is REALLY sore. I think it is the bicep tendon, because the pain is at the bottom of my bicep right by my elbow. I can't even lock out my left arm so bench will have to wait until tomorrow. I did my hike today, and on the way down I took a fork in the trail that goes along the hillside, with a couple good ascents and descents. It's rolling hills basically. I saw a baby fox that was the size of a small cat, as well as it's mom. When mom saw me she barked, and they both took off up the hill. Legs feel really good after this hike, the rolling hills really got them after the big climb to the top.

Indiff: Yeah, the crags is a gnarly trail. There really is no such thing as an easy climb up a 14000 ft tall mountain. I will for sure take lots of pictures when I do it.

Keith: Thanks for the advice, I will try upping the weight next time and going for sets of 15 or so.

Coke: Thanks for stopping by. I hope to stay on the move and keep improving.

fooz
05-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Looking strong man. Take it easy on your biceps, I get that pain here and there. Better to rest then kill yourself.

EDIT: It was your shoulders, sorry ahah.

Coke
05-10-2008, 08:21 AM
That would be awesome to see them foxes...the hiking is hard work.

Dirk Pitt
05-12-2008, 11:15 PM
fooz: Hey, thanks for stopping by. Shoulders have been a problem for me since HS, but last week it was the bicep. It was pretty sore for several days, so it kept me out of the gym saturday.

Coke: Yeah, the foxes were really cool. The hiking is hard work. For some reason I can't ride a mtn bike up a hill, the pain really gets to me. But when I am on foot I almost feed off the pain, and I actually like the steep climbs. It feels like an accomplishment once you get to the top, and the views are almost always worth it. Thanks for stopping by.

Dirk Pitt
05-12-2008, 11:41 PM
Workout Mon, May 12

RC Warmup

H-Rolls
12 x 20(pr + 3rep)
15 x 15 (pr +3lb)
15 x 14

Bench Press
95 x 5 (wu)
115 x 5 (wu)
135 x 5 (wu)
155 x 5
165 x 5
175 x 4
185 x 3
195 x 2
205 x 1
215 x 1(pr + 10lb)
225 x 0
175 x 3
165 x 4
155 x 5

CG Bench
95 x 12
115 x 14
135 x 4

Today went pretty well, I'm glad I got 215 on bench, wish I could have hit 225 but oh well, it was not going to happen. I actually had a spotter this time so that was good. My left bicep bothered me all weekend, it was still a tiny bit sore this morning but that all went away by tonight. On the last set of close grip I just flat out died, I failed the 5th rep miserably, but that is most likely because of all the sets that came before it. I really like this pyramid thing with bench and think I am going to stick with it. I'm also pretty surprised that h-rolls went up in weight this week, given that they went up last week as well. I grabbed the 12's and stopped at 20 reps, but I could have gotten a few more. I may have done more than 15 reps on the 2nd set, but my mind wandered around rep 10 and I lost count. 15 is the minimum that I did, so that is what I am putting down. Wanted to go hiking today but by the time I got done with yard work it looked like there was a storm moving in. It thundered a bunch and didn't rain at all, which is kind of weak. I also wanted to do some chin ups, but I was pretty toast after all that bench. On another note my dad found out he has amyloidosis (sp). He saw a specialist today who said that there are 3 different kinds, and they did tests so he will know which type it is next week. He probably has between a year and a half and 5 years left to live, but he should know more once they find out which type it is and if he responds to any of the treatments.

Coke
05-13-2008, 05:55 AM
Hope for the best outcome for your dad man...damn, killer benching sets.

Keith
05-13-2008, 09:52 PM
Very sorry to hear about your dad. It's never good to know a length of time you have left to live. Great benching, though. 10 lb PR is amazing to hit even though you didn't hit 225. You'll hit it sooner than you think!

Dirk Pitt
05-14-2008, 11:44 PM
Keith and Coke: Thanks a lot guys. Edit: And Runty too, you posted in between my replies.

Runty
05-14-2008, 11:58 PM
Sorry bout the pops man. Some fine bench work up in here. Coming out near you guys next week. I don't think I'll have any time to meet up for a workout though seeing as my buddy has to work 3 days earlier than planned. Camping in Moab for memorial day weekend and then spending 2-3 days in Breck/Boulder.

Dirk Pitt
05-15-2008, 12:01 AM
Wed May 14

Dead Lift
135 x 8
225 x 7 (speed set)
315 x 5 (pretty fast)
365 x 5
385 x 3
405 x 3
425 x 1
440 x 1
450 x 1 (pr +10w)
455 x 1 (pr + 15w)

Well given my problems with dead lift the past couple times I have tried them, I was not really expecting to go really heavy tonight. I just wanted to stay light and ease back into it, seeing if what the chiro did last week was really going to work. It did. I was also SUPER focused. Once I put the first plates on the bar for 135 something just clicked and the rest of the world kind of zoned out, and it was just me and the bar. I hit 8 reps and realized that I only wanted to do 7, and then at 225 the weight FLEW up super fast, without me even intending to. 315 went up pretty fast too. Once 365 came up light as a feather I decided to go heavy, I was thinking 415 or 425 at the most, but everything was coming up easy, and I was so focused that I just kept putting more weight on. 450 felt really goddamn heavy, and was a slow rep but I kept really good form the whole time. 455 did not feel light either, it was VERY slow. My first attempt I couldnt get it off the floor, but it budged so I immediately reset and hit it as hard as I could. I didn't even let go of the bar, just bent back down, gripped tight and went for it. It came up very very slowly, but once I got my legs mostly straight and started bringing the hips forward it sped up and lockout was easy. I also kept really good form on that rep. I'm really pumped up about this, I was down on myself for the crappy deadlifting, so this is huge for me. After deads I really wasn't up to doing anything else, so it was the only exercise tonight but I am very very happy.

Coke
05-15-2008, 05:45 AM
Great concentrated sets of deads dude.

fooz
05-15-2008, 02:57 PM
Awesome, Awesome. I thought 320 was hard, but damn 455 congrats bro!

Kiaran
05-15-2008, 10:51 PM
Ah yeah, dude! You got it :) Congrats, bro. That's a big milestone right there. When you deadlift that heavy and focused and hard, you will never finish the workout, lol. CNS is just toasted. Keep kickin ass, talk to you tomorrow online, man.

Dirk Pitt
05-16-2008, 01:55 AM
Coke: Thanks again for stopping by. I really appreciate the support.

Fooz: Thanks man! Just keep working on the deads and they will get stronger. You make me feel weak when I see your bench sets bro!

K: Thanks. It really is a milestone after the past couple crappy deadlift days. My CNS really was not that toasted, I felt a little shaky when I got home, but my hands were steady. I was expecting to be shaking like crazy, but I guess my CNS is getting stronger too :). I was also super pumped up and full of energy for an hour and a half after the workout, then I crashed HARD once the adrenaline went away, went to bed and slept like a baby all night :).

Keith
05-16-2008, 09:37 AM
Jesus. HUGE PR, man. Congrats. Way to reset and give'r again after missing 455 the first time. 495 is on it's way!

Dirk Pitt
05-17-2008, 12:05 AM
Keith: Thanks a bunch man! Hopefully 495 will come by late july or early august.

Friday May 16

Rc Warmup

H-Rolls
20 x 10
20 x 10
20 x 10

Kroc Rows
70 x 15
70 x 15
85 x 12

Speed Bench
115 x 5 (not very fast)
95 x 3
95 x 3
115 x 3
115 x 3
115 x 3
95 x 4
95 x 3
95 x 3
95 x 3

T-Bar Rows
160 x 10
170 x 10
180 x 10
190 x 6

Curls
30 x 10
30 x 8
25 x 8

Decided I wanted to give speed bench a try, and start doing ME bench on mondays and DE on fridays with my upper back work. Felt like a pretty good day, went heavy on H-Rolls and Kroc Rows. I think next week I want to increase the weight on Kroc rows and do 10 reps instead of 15 and 12.

fooz
05-17-2008, 06:27 AM
those are some strong kroc rows and t-bar rows bro.

Coke
05-17-2008, 07:38 AM
Those sets are looking good bro.

Indifference
05-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Definitely a lot of good work in here the past few sessions man! That bench PR and ESPECIALLY that DL PR is NUTS. 455 aint no joke man, and im sure I couldnt even break the floor with that beast. Excellent work! I hope the adjustment with speed bench works out for you, I dont think Ive ever gotten much improvement in my bench from it. Also im sorry about your dad bro, definitely not an easy thing to deal with. Keep up the awesome lifting in here dirk!

Dirk Pitt
05-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Fooz and Coke: Thanks a lot guys.

Indifference: Thanks man. I figure doing bench twice a week instead of once a week can only help, given that the days are spread apart. It will also let me focus more on getting a good max day in, knowing that I will be benching another day that week as well. It should make it easier with the max not being the 10th set or so.

Just got back from a hike, I will post the details of that with the details of my bench day after I work out at 9:30.

Dirk Pitt
05-19-2008, 11:37 PM
Workout Mon May 19

Hiking
Backyard hike. 35 min to top, 1 hr 6 min total hike

RC Warmup

H-Rolls
15 x 17
15 x 16
15 x 15

Bench Press
135 x 3 (w/u)
155 x 3
175 x 3
195 x 2
205 x 1
215 x 1
225 x 1 (pr + 10lb) 2 plates :strong:
185 x 3
175 x 4
165 x 4
165 x 4
155 x 5

JM Press (first time)
45 x 8 (figuring out the form)
85 x 10
95 x 10
105 x 6

Assisted Chins
1 + 5 (1 real + 5 jumping)
1 + 4
1 + 5

So stoked about hitting 225 on bench. It's a huge mark for me, I don't feel like such a pussy now that I can bench 2 pps :D. I was planning on going for 220 and depending on how that went do 225, as I wasn't sure that I could add 10 lbs to my pr 2 weeks in a row. But 215 was easier than my ex gf so I said **** it and went for 225. I decided to try JM press instead of cg bench for my tricep work and really like it. It will definitely be included in my routine now, I have never done a tricep exercise that I could feel so much. I need to go back and look at the vid of them to get my grip spacing right, I think I found a comfortable grip but I want to see the vid again just to make sure I am doing it right. I feel really good about tonight's workout, I think I got a lot of work done. Looking forward to benching 230 or 235 next week :)
Edit: Forgot to mention that my weight is staying around 273-275, but I have lost an inch and a half to 2 inches in my waist in the last month, so I am definitely losing fat and gaining lean mass. My belt is seeing holes is has not seen before, so I am happy with this, and am going to try to just keep eating the way I have been, and try to get in more hiking to lose more fat.

Indifference
05-20-2008, 01:45 AM
Excellent dirk! 2PPS is some good times man. Your definitely on your way. If you nail 230 or 235 next week that would be insane. 3 Weeks in a row on a bench PR is some good **** bro. Keep it up!

Coke
05-20-2008, 05:58 AM
Nice ****, going into a new realm.

fooz
05-20-2008, 07:23 AM
Oh ****... he's catching up! Must...work...harder!! Nice job man, 225 feels real good.

Kiaran
05-21-2008, 12:20 AM
Man, nice work with the 2pps, bro. Huge milestone :) The rep ranges and sets looked nice on that workout as well. JMs are good stuff and really help out if you hit them right.

Keith
05-21-2008, 08:45 AM
****in' right. 225 is a huge milestone. Way to go, dude.

Dirk Pitt
05-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Indiff, Coke, Fooz, Kiaran, Keith: Thanks a ton guys! Coming to this forum and reading your comments and looking at what other people are doing in the gym really gets my mind in the state it needs to be in before my workouts. I'm really glad to be doing speed day and me day, the last few weeks I have been wanting to get lots of work done on bench AND max out and maxing on my 10th or 12 set was getting to be just brutal. Being able to keep the reps low and jump way up in weight, then pyramid down is what I think I want to be doing on ME days. There is a big annual camping trip that I will be going on the weekend of June 21, so I am really trying to push as hard as I can to be in the best shape I can get in by then, as it will be a HUGE blowout of booze buddies and dirtbikes like always :D. 50 - 80 super cool people who know how to party hangin' out in the woods can only bring good times! I want to be benching in the 240-250 range by then for sure, I need to get my power up as my friend Jay and I are going to bust out the boxing gloves, and I want to have the knockout power :). I am also going to start playing around with SQUATS starting tonight! Really looking forward to trying out the squats and doing some platform pulls this evening. I don't expect any big numbers from squats as it will practically be my first time doing them, if I can get up to 225 I will be more than happy.

Dirk Pitt
05-21-2008, 11:57 PM
Workout Wed May 21

Squats (first time doing them)
45 x 5 (practicing bar placement and form)
135 x 5 (same as above)
185 x 5
225 x 4
275 x 3
295 x 1 (atf)
315 x 2 (1 shallow, 1 atf)
365 x 1 (atf)
385 x 0 almost seriously injured myself, see summary

Platform Deads (overhand grip)
225 x 5 (wu)
315 x 5 (2 oh grip, 3 mixed grip, the hand I have the underhand grip with on deads almost dropped the bar after rep 2 so I switched grips)
Left gym at this point, not up to lifting anymore after close call on squats.

Well I squatted a lot more than I thought I would be able to for my first time doing them. There was a guy at the gym, who is there when I am usually and we spot each other, so he was helping me out. But he has taken weight training classes at the olympic training center, and he told me that they said to never squat past 90 deg knee bend. My knees come forward when I squat, I have to really concentrate just to keep them behind my toes at the bottom. So 90 deg for me is not parallel. I am going to squat parallel, or at least have Kiaran look at my form at his place and get his advice. The atf labeled sets really were ass to floor, with it being my first time squatting with the heavier weights I found I had a hard time stopping the momentum at the bottom of the lift and would end up going all the way down as far as I could go. On my last set, 385, I tried to stop at parallel, but could not, and my legs gave out completely. I dropped all the way down like a ****ing rock, and when I hit the bottom the momentum of the weight caused my back to come forward, and the bar rolled up my neck. Once it started up my neck there was nothing I could do, I could not try to hold my neck up against that weight so I just tucked my chin, and the weight rolled up my neck, onto the back of my skull and then off into the catch bars. I am not going to max out in this gym anymore, because the catch bars on their squat racks are too low. They are at the top of my kneecap when I stand up next to them, and I am really lucky I did not get hurt on my failed rep tonight. I like the squats and will continue to do them, I am just not going to try to max out. The hardest part about the squats was definitely holding the ****ing weight on my back. I am doing a high bar squat, and I found a comfortable place, but even 135 felt really ****ing heavy lol. I am sure I will get used to it with time, but right now everything over 225 feels really heavy on top of my back. I went to do my platform pulls after squats, but I was pretty shaken up from the failed rep, and I also tweaked my left knee on that failed squat so I said **** it and went home after my second set. I think it will just take time for me to get used to squatting, and hopefully I can head up to Kiaran's soon so he can help me figure out how deep to go, and also get some vids to put up here so you guys can see me :). Controlling the weight is definitely a big issue for me with squats, but like I said that will come with experience. I really just am not used to having that much weight resting on my lats, and my body has a hard time controlling it. 365 atf was hard but not too hard.

Coke
05-22-2008, 06:14 AM
Awesome camping trip coming up next month...no doubt man, squats are a killer movement.

ddegroff
05-22-2008, 09:38 AM
Squats look good man.

If your knees are coming over your toes, set back more, weight on your heels. Think about the first movement comes from the hips going back NOT the knees bending.

jed
05-22-2008, 09:42 PM
great job with that max for the first time youve ever squatted. personally i wouldnt have maxed if it was my first time. try to keep the weight low and reps high and nail that form down so you can squat in your sleep. great job though dude.

Kiaran
05-22-2008, 09:43 PM
I still can't believe you rolled that over your head, lol. I mean I probably would have **** if I saw you do it, but damn it would have made a great video :D Also, **** you and your strong-ass legs, dude. "oh, I don't squat, blah blah blah, hmmm, 315...meh whatever...365 ATF, piece of cake, think I'll try 385..."

Joking aside, ****in nice work, bro. Now you are truly in the game with the squats and all ;)

Keith
05-22-2008, 09:47 PM
Your first time and you're that strong?!? And you're totaling over 1000 lbs, too?! **** you.

I'd get Kiaran to look over your form. I don't know the dude who was spotting you and his knowledge on the squat, but I've seen Kiaran's videos and he knows what he's doing.

Dirk Pitt
05-22-2008, 11:25 PM
Coke: I seriously have been looking forward to this camping trip since the minute I left last year's. I really like the squats, they really worked my hammies and my glutes, which are the weakest links in my legs.

DDE: Thanks for the advice. It's really hard for me to get my knees much farther back without going into a total GM at the bottom or falling backwards on my ass. It may be a flexibility issue, as my quads have always been much stronger than my hammies, or it may just be the ratio of my legs to my torso. I am able to keep my knees behind my toes however, which I have heard to be the real important part. I will concentrate on moving my ass back instead of my knees down though next time I do squats.

Jed: Thanks man. I probably shouldn't have maxed out my first time, but I really wanted to see how much I could squat, so I went for it. No more maxing at this crappy powercageless gym however. I will keep my working sets for the time being below 350 and concentrate on doing more reps for sure.

Kiaran: Thanks bro! I'm really lucky I guess that I have always had really big, strong legs since I was a kid. That failed rep was definitely gnarly and it scared the **** outta me for sure, but yeah it would have made a sweet ass vid, "How not to squat!" :)

Keith: I will have K look at my form in the next few weeks for sure. You have been putting in lots of hard work and I will be very surprised if you don't total 1K very soon, as you are getting super close bro!

So the day after I am bruised where the bar was resting on my back, which I fully expected. The top of my neck and the base of my skull are also bruised from the failed rep. My knee that I tweaked seems to have recovered, as it hasn't bothered me today, and my ass, hammies and abs are pretty sore as well. I really need to work on my core strength, I have been neglecting it and it is part of the reason that last rep fell apart so completely. It does make sense though, having that much weight at shoulder height requires a strong core to maintain control and keep it from swaying around. I am really surprised that I was able to squat so much my first time, and look forward to making my already not small legs really freaking huge :D. I guess this means I will be in the gym 4 days a week again now, as I have to have a day dedicated to squats. Between the hiking and the squatting I figure my legs will be pretty damn strong by the end of the summer.

fooz
05-23-2008, 07:29 AM
Lol dude, that's worse then me ****ting my pants when i squat. All kidding aside, at least your not hurt. Nice job on those squats for a first timer. haha

bigmoney
05-24-2008, 01:53 PM
huge squats for the first time trying them Dirk, damn! I am glad to see you did not get injured. If I ever have to dump it I just say screw it and let it dump over head no matter how low the catches are. You just gotta move outta there in a hurry!
Keep working hard and I am excited to see what comes in the future for you.

Dirk Pitt
05-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Fooz: Lol, I don't what is worse, dumping over one's head or taking a dump while squatting! Thanks bro!
Money: Thanks man! Really glad you stopped by. It happened really fast, and did not spend much time on my neck or head so that is why I didn't get hurt I think.

Dirk Pitt
05-24-2008, 02:23 PM
I fell asleep watching the basketball game with my dad last night, and when I woke back up I was too tired to go to the gym, so I decided to go today. I hadn't eaten anything yet when I went to the gym, and I kind of ran out of gas at the end.
Workout Sat May 24

RC Warmup
H-Rolls (heavy day)
20 x 15
25 x 10 (pr +5w)
25 x 8

Kroc Rows
90 x 12 (pr + 5w)
90 x 10
90 x 10 (this set was HARD)

Speed Bench (3 different grips)
95 x 3
95 x 3
95 x 3
115 x 3
115 x 3
115 x 3 (these were a little bit slower than I wanted)
95 x 3
95 x 3
95 x 3
95 x 3
95 x 3
95 x 3

JM Press
95 x 10
95 x 8 (upper back cramped up and I got the shakes)

Well overall I think the workout went pretty good today. I got the shakes pretty bad, and I am not sure if it was from not eating or if my CNS just got fried from all the speed bench. There were hotties all over the place at the gym today, I really wanted to go heavy but kept myself under control and did speed day as planned. I am used to going to the gym at night when there are 2 or 3 other people there instead of like 20. The last set of Kroc rows was BRUTAL, and my upper back cramped up pretty bad on my last set of JM's. 115 was a little slow on speed bench so I dropped the weight back down, and my last couple sets slowed up a bit because I started getting tired. I got really tired and kind of light headed at the end of the workout, which is from not eating I think. By the time I got to the locker room I was shaking pretty bad, but no worries, I got some food in me and the shakes went away after about 20 min, which is about how long they usually last for me after I thrash my cns.

Coke
05-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Working out on an empty stomach can work both ways, did good though bro.

Keith
05-25-2008, 10:41 AM
Your Kroc rows are coming along nicely. I don't think the shakes were from your CNS being fried. Sounds like hypoglycemia which is when the blood sugar levels are too low. A P+C drink sipped throughout your workout should fix this. Preferably Waxy Maize.

fooz
05-26-2008, 04:06 PM
good job staying under control... i would've cranked up some heavy weights if i saw some ladieezz haha. good job tho, that's discipline. Looks like you had a lot of fun with all those sets of speed.

Indifference
05-26-2008, 08:52 PM
Id agree, shakes from low blood sugar sound right.

And dude, seriously.

365 ATF First time? HOLY CRAP MAN. I couldnt do that right now if I wanted to. It would crush me like an ant. Very solid man, very solid. I definitely cant wait to see some vids of you and K doing some squatting. I need to see this mythical beast who squats 365 ATF from the start. I also let my knees drift a bit forward when I squat, so when you figure out how to keep them still and sit back fully, let me know k bro? Hahaha awesome work man, just awesome.

jed
05-26-2008, 10:11 PM
pretty sweet workout dude. lotta sets! keep workin hard and itll definitely pay off man :D

Dirk Pitt
05-26-2008, 11:04 PM
Coke: Thanks.

Keith: I usually workout at night and have eaten a meal an hour and a half to 2 hours before working out, once I got some food in me I got better, but still felt a little shaky the rest of the day. Thanks for the advice.

Fooz: Yeah the speed sets are fun, but I need to work on them with Kiaran next time I see him. I need to control the weight better, my back kept coming off the bench at the top of the reps.

Indiff: Thanks bro! I will definitely get some vids of me squatting soon.

Jed: Thanks man!

Dirk Pitt
05-26-2008, 11:11 PM
Workout Mon May 26

Today I did squats and platform deadlifts, using 2 stacked plates as a platform. I alternated my exercises, so 1 set of squats, then a set of deads etc. I spent 4 1/2 hours this afternoon walking around territory days in Co Springs, and spent some of the time pushing my gimped out buddy in a wheelchair, so my legs were pretty tired coming into the workout. Doesn't really look like much of a workout but going back and forth between the squats and deads really wore my ass out.

Squats
135 x 5
225 x 5
275 x 2
315 x 1
315 x 1

Platform Deads
135 x 7
225 x 7
315 x 6
365 x 4
365 x 3

:)

Coke
05-27-2008, 06:02 AM
Solid supersets for the squats and deads dude.

fooz
05-27-2008, 07:40 AM
solid deadlifts man, I couldn't pull 365 off the floor :eek:

Keith
05-27-2008, 08:19 AM
I can imagine those exercises back-to-back would be exhausting. Great work especially after a long day. How long did that all take you?

Dirk Pitt
05-27-2008, 10:30 PM
Coke: Thanks Man!

Fooz: Thanks. You will get your DL up there soon enough now that you are working on your form.

Keith: They were. I am a sore mofo today.

Kiaran
05-27-2008, 10:32 PM
Dude, you're crazy. I could never do heavy squats and heavy deads in the same day *vomit* Nice pulling, bro. Your back had to be tired after that one. Really cool to see you squatting too :) Makes me proud.

Dirk Pitt
05-27-2008, 10:34 PM
Tues May 27 ME Bench

H-Rolls
20 x 15
20 x 15
20 x 10

Bench
135 x 3
145 x 3 (grabbed 5's instead of 10's)
175 x 3
195 x 1
215 x 1
225 x 1
235 x 2 (pr + 10w, wtf 2 reps)
245 x 0
205 x 2
185 x 3
175 x 3
175 x 3
155 x 5

JM Press
95 x 12
115 x 10
115 x 6

I cant ****ing believe I hit 235 x 2. I was hoping for 235, but would have been happy with 230. But the first rep of 235 was easy so I decided **** it and went for the second, which was not so easy but I still got it unassisted. Pretty stoked after tonight, y'all better watch out, I am catching up fast :)

Kiaran: Thanks bro! Glad you are happy I have taken up squatting. I'm trying to push myself really hard and it's paying off with pr's all over the place.

Kiaran
05-27-2008, 10:38 PM
Just missed this one, sorry, man. Jesus, 235x2? You're growing like an animal, bro! lol, just a bad ass job, man. Keep that **** going strong. **** 250, that will happen in no time. You're doing great things with your life, man :)

Coke
05-28-2008, 05:38 AM
Good deal on raising up at a nice steady pace.

Keith
05-28-2008, 08:18 AM
Jesus. You're surpassing me in everything now. Everything is coming along very nicely for you. Keep doing what you're doing. Great job, bud!

fooz
05-28-2008, 03:01 PM
wtf dirk get off the roids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 235 x 2? really nice!!

Indifference
05-28-2008, 05:15 PM
Seriously what the hell are you eating bro? Babies, full grown people? Every time I come in here its like *oh yah well ya know I just went ATF with 500lbs or yah my bench PR went up another 10 for 2 reps, oh yah and Ive never done it before*. Lol I swear man your on the road to becoming a monster. Keep up this **** and in a few years you'll be an absolute monster. Your motivating the hell out of me man, keep it up!

fooz
05-28-2008, 07:32 PM
I say we jump him! :)

jed
05-28-2008, 08:57 PM
damn dude!! aweosme job!!!1 235x2 that is some great strength.

Dirk Pitt
05-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Well I saw the doctor today for a checkup, told him my left nut has been getting sore after heavy deads. He felt around and I got to turn my head and cough a few times. He said he could feel a little bulge but he is pretty sure I don't have a hernia, but he wants me to see a urologist and stop lifting (yeah right) until then. He thinks my nut may be twisting and cutting off blood supply, which is bad, but I will get to the urologist next week hopefully, and hopefully everything is cool and they don't have to stitch my nut to my sack to keep it from spinning or go in there and untwist it. Until then deads are out as that is the only exercise that bothers my nut, so it's gonna be all squats and bench for the next several workouts.
Coke: Thanks bro, having a heavy lifter like you stop in here really motivates me.

Keith: Thanks. I plan on doing what I have been doing, and hopefully the gains continue for the next few weeks or longer.

Fooz: LOL, you can try to jump me but I am a pretty big dude and I will put up a good fight :D. Thanks for stopping by

Indiff: Babies. I eat a newborn for breakfast every day. Seriously though, I think it is all the sleep I am getting. I am sleeping a solid 10 hours a night, giving my muscles lots of time to grow and get stronger. That combined with the fact that I have only been lifting for 6 or 8 weeks so I am getting big gains fast. My chest and tri's were nonexistant when I started lifting, and now they are starting to grow. My back too. My back has been getting WAY stronger. My legs have always been real strong, so I am not that surprised that I can squat heavy, but I really need to work on my core (arg, I hate situps) so I can support the weight that my legs can squat. But upper body wise I have been a weakling for my size, and that is where all the big gains have been coming, as muscle that should have been there but wasn't is finally getting built :D.

Jed: Thanks bro! I am really happy about getting those reps. Really surprised too.

jed
05-28-2008, 09:00 PM
haha ****. that dont sound good. id say atleast hold off on the deads for a week till u see him since that seems to be whats hurtin yeh. their your balls though!

Dirk Pitt
05-28-2008, 09:08 PM
Yeah I am going to stay away from deads for sure. I haven't had any ball pain with any of the other exercises, so it's the deads that are the problem. After all the doctor's probing it is sore as hell tonight, I hate ball pain :(.

jed
05-28-2008, 09:24 PM
well you just gave us some solid evidence of you being a male, atleast :)

fooz
05-29-2008, 07:09 AM
****, your 280... F that gunna need some back up :)

ddegroff
05-29-2008, 06:00 PM
Killer Pressin' session bro! Nice work!

bigmoney
05-29-2008, 06:54 PM
damn DIRK!! That bench is huge man. Freakin' sweet when that kind of stuff happens huh??

Dirk Pitt
05-31-2008, 03:29 PM
Jed: Well if you want more proof of my maleness, I'll post a pic of the stitches if they have to cut open my sack :)

DDE: Thanks bro! I'm really happy about it

Money: Yeah dude, the gains I have been making are super sweet.

Dirk Pitt
05-31-2008, 03:39 PM
Workout Fri May 30
****ty workout yesterday, read summary.
RC Warmups

H-Rolls
20 x 20
20 x 15
20 x 14

Kroc Rows
90 x 10
90 x 10 shoulder starting hurting bad so I stopped.

Squat Form Work
135 x 15
225 x 4

Speed Bench
95 x 3
95 x 3
95 x 3
95 x 3
95 x 3
95 x 3
105 x 3
105 x 3
105 x 3

Well yesterday's workout sucked. I felt like ****, and my shoulder starting hurting pretty bad on the 2nd set of kroc rows. I tried to do some squat form work, and my form got worse. I tried really hard to get my ass and knees back, but it just wouldnt happen. I got more quad work than hamstring work done on the squats, at the bottom my heels kept coming off the floor and I was driving off the balls of my feet instead of my heels. Hopefully I can get up to denver soon to have Kiaran check out my form and get some vids so I can fix this ****. Also, I could have done a lot more reps at 135 on the squats but my shoulder flexibility is ****ty and I couldnt hold on to the bar anymore because my shoulders hurt like hell. One of my buddies stopped by in the afternoon with some brews and Jack, and we did shots and drank beer and got generally ****faced. By the time I got to the gym at 9:30 I was sober, but I think getting all ****faced a few hours before working out was not a good idea. I'm pretty stressed with what is going on with my dad, he's been getting really weak recently and it's hard on me to see him so frail, so mentally I was not in a good place either. I felt like puking after every set of speed bench and only did 9 sets instead of my usual 12.

Kiaran
05-31-2008, 05:47 PM
Sounds like a ton going on in this workout, man. No doubt the situation with your dad is a tough one. Sorry all that is going down. Anytime you need to get away from it all, just let me know and you're welcome to chill up here. As for your shoulder hurting, Kroc Rows look like a movement that could have a lot of potential to strain the shoulder and could be very unforgiving of you don't stay tight. Definitely next time you decide to booze it, skip the gym. I don't care if you think you were sober or not, no way you got **** faced and then it was completely worked out of your system in few hours. It's just a good way to hurt something and set yourself back or deliver an all round ****ty workout and then get upset about it. Anyhow, man, we'll work on your squats the next time you come up here. In the mean time, try box squatting. It's a great place to start and train yourself to push through your heals. Hell, I have to go back to the box like every 6 weeks to iron out wrinkles in my form. If they don't have a "box", then an easy way to sub one is just stack about 10-15 forty-fives up and make your own "box" to squat on (this is assuming the plates are rubber coated so they don't slip). Otherwise, use a bench to squat on. It's better than nothing. All right, bro, rest up and lock down for your next workout when you're ready. You know everyone here is there for ya.

fooz
05-31-2008, 05:50 PM
hey man, everyone has there bad days. You've got heart tho still hitting that gym man, even with all the problems going on in your life. You have some dedication man. I hope the very best for your father. Since you had a ****ty workout yesterday, kick some ass on Monday!

jed
05-31-2008, 08:10 PM
man it takes alot just to even hit the weights when you got stuff goin on with family dude. i hear you on the dad thing, my dad's got a crippling disease and sometimes it sucks ass to see our heroes this way. you have done enough just to hit the weights, no doubt ****s gonna go wrong but you can get thru it and fix it dude. keep workin hard and we're behind ya!

whats wrong with the shoulder? sharp pain or what?

Indifference
05-31-2008, 09:48 PM
Man that sucks to hear about your dad bro. Just be there for him man. Also, I would definitely say that drinking before a workout was probably a bad idea. You dehydrated yourself and your body was still detoxing while you tried to workout, thats a good recipe for no energy. Also you need to be REAL careful with that shoulder. Thats how I started getting my issues, I have terrible shoulder flexibility as well. Make sure you ice the crap out of it after squatting and take some aleve or other NSAID. That pain you feel is most likely your biceps tendon being irritated and you dont want that at all bro or it will start hurting alot and get real out of hand. I hope things get better for ya bro, just keep your head in a good place.

Coke
06-02-2008, 06:11 AM
You're a cool cat, glad you came on board...hope all improves with Pops.

Keith
06-02-2008, 11:37 PM
Sorry to hear about your dad, man. Knowing that and getting wasted before a training session will definitely hurt the numbers. I wouldn't do that again lol. At least drink after you train if you do decide to drink. You'll be in the right direction soon enough. Post a vid of your squat so we can give you better and more accurate advice as to what you should fix and all.

Dirk Pitt
06-03-2008, 12:19 AM
Kiaran, Fooz, Jed, Indiff, Coke and Keith: Working out after drinking was a bad idea for sure. I was just depressed and angry and needed to work out some stress so I decided to go do my workout. I am up at Kiaran's right now, my dad had a really close call on Sunday, his blood pressure dropped to the point where he passed out and we had to call 911. My mom and I thought we were going to lose him, as his breathing was really weird and he had a very very faint pulse, he also looked like a corpse. He was out for at least 10 minutes, but by the time the EMT's got him on the gurney he was responsive again. His blood pressure in the ER was 73 over whatever, a few hours later they had him up to 80/55. They transfered him from the hospital in Co. Springs to the hospital in denver where all his doctors are monday evening, and I am going to be crashing at kiaran's tonight and probably tomorrow night too. Thanks to all of you guys for your concern, I've told my dad and he is very touched by it.

Dirk Pitt
06-03-2008, 01:08 AM
Workout Monday June 2
H-Rolls
20 x 17
20 x 18
20 x 15

Bench
155 x 3
185 x 3
195 x 3 (pr + 1 rep)
215 x 1
225 x 1
235 x 1
245 x 1 (pr + 10lb)
250 x 1 (pr + 15lb)

JM Press
The Bar and light weight form work for a ton of reps

H-Rolls

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/7637/natehrolls20s06022008xt9.jpg

195 Bench

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/1936/natebench19506022008pb0.jpg

JM Press Form Work

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/73/natejmpress5506022008ui6.jpg

Bench 245 X 1 Vid

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8er9wFrigKc&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8er9wFrigKc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Bench 250 X 1 Vid

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h8zotJk71gU&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h8zotJk71gU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Pretty sweet to get 250 on bench. After all the **** going on with my dad over the weekend I really needed to get in the gym. Gotta give thanks to Kiaran for letting me crash at his place while my dad is in the hospital up here in denver, and for taking the pics and vids and doing the editing, as I do not know the first thing about video editing. 250 was pretty damn ugly, as you can see, but I'll take it for sure! The BP PRs just keep on rollin'. Also it was nice to have some good music to listen to while working out for once. Kiaran pretty much convinced me I could get 250 after I got 245, otherwise I don't know if I would have even tried for it. If I had tried I might have failed, but he got me convinced I could get it, and I needed everything I had, including the scream to get it up. I was pretty tired after that max effort, so we watched the vid of JM presses and practiced JM Press form. I have been doing it wrong, and am glad to have fixed that problem. I will most likely be in denver tomorrow night as well, I hope to work on my squat form then. Like I said last week, all you guys in the 260 - 280 bp range better start working harder, I am tracking you guys down and will be passing y'all up here shortly if you don't :).

Coke
06-03-2008, 06:12 AM
Pretty sweet to get 250 on bench.

No doubt...you'll be passing a lot of cats up on the bench at this rate.

Keith
06-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Holy ****!! Huge bench PR, dude! It's great to train with someone that knows what they're doing, eh? Tell your dad to keep his head up. The mind can do a lot in these situations, seriously. Pretty much everyone does JM presses wrong according to the video. But like he said, so long as you're feeling it in your triceps, you can do different variations. His form is a great way to keep the chest out of it, though.

bigmoney
06-03-2008, 02:41 PM
LOL love the intensity man. Macho man PR on the bench. The pic of the JM press looks like a good position. Just aim for your chin, and remember to press the weight not turn it into an extension. GOOD deal dirk!

fooz
06-03-2008, 02:41 PM
sweet ****ing beard! I think haha! Your one strong dude, for sure. Your bench is going up crazzzzzy! :thumbup: Like I said before, you have some balls for still training with all the **** going on with your dad. Best of luck with him man. Lookin' awesome in here "cat". haha :)

Dirk Pitt
06-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Coke: Thanks man, I wanted 250 by june 21st when I am going camping but got it was earlier :)

Keith: Thanks. Yeah, training with K is really nice, he knows his ****. Having good music to listen to and someone to tell me that what felt heavy as hell looked light and I can do more is good too. My dad is keeping a very positive outlook, so I am not worried about his attitude at all. I'm sure I'll keep f'ing around with the JM's trying to get everything right, but I really am not too worried as long as my tri's feel the burn :).

Money: Thanks. My problem with JM's is I think I am trying to do too much weight in the past and I turn it too much into a press, but yeah it is hard to find the happy medium between a press and an extension.

Fooz: Lol, I've been working on the goatee for awhile now. It's going to get a lot smaller and the chops are going away too because my dad wants me to look a little more clean cut, but I will grow it back for sure.

Sorry I haven't been getting to any of your journals the past several days, I've pretty much been spending 12 hour days at the hospital and haven't really been up to surfing journals, but I should get home for a couple days tonight and will try to post either tonight or tomorrow.

Dirk Pitt
06-04-2008, 10:24 AM
Workout Tues June 03

Squat Form Work, mostly with box

Kiaran helped me work on my squat form, so I did a lot of box squatting with no weight, and a set or 2 of squats with the bar and 135. Mainly just working on getting my ass back, how far to bend forward, and getting my stance right. I was doing a lot wrong, which I knew, so it is good to get a lot of tips on what I need to be doing. He took 1 vid for me toward the beginning and then the camera battery died, I'll post it for comments. My stance has been too narrow for sure, and I haven't been bending enough at the waist. I also got some good tips on unracking the weight. I was using a 16'' box.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rpwioaOhbZE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rpwioaOhbZE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

jed
06-04-2008, 05:31 PM
dude dirk you are lookin awesome dude. that bench PR back there was whack!! your gonna catch me in a few weeks, haha! you have a MEAN set of calves, im jealous.

TheLion
06-04-2008, 05:59 PM
i recognize that place. you lift with kiaran

figured i would share the love

edit:

"theres no way those calves are real" - johnny drama, entourage

edit2: i'm subscribing. you have peaked my interest

Indifference
06-04-2008, 11:46 PM
Damn bro. Just damn. I do agree the press was ugly, but the amount of force you put into it was sick. It came down and went up so quick I swear you could have done 3 of those in the time it takes me to press 265 once. Mark my words bro you keep this up your gonna be a beast. Im going to echo the sweet beard and huge calves comment as well. Also how tall are you? If that was 16inches you must be very tall as it looked like you werent too high up when you sat on it? Color me impressed man, keep this **** up! Also sorry to hear about the pops, its good that hes at the hospital where they can keep an eye on him though. Its also cool of big K to let you stay at his place. I hope it all works out good for you man.

Coke
06-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Must be real exhausted with all you're going through...props for getting the sessions in and staying on track.

Kiaran
06-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Good stuff in here, man. Bench is just kicking ass and your squat form is going to come together quickly, trust me. Just stick with a box when you can and it will help you memorize the feel of it. You're welcome anytime to stop by if you're up here. Just give me a call, bro.

Dirk Pitt
06-09-2008, 11:14 PM
Jed, Lion, Coke, Indiff, and Kiaran: Thanks guys. I just haven't gotten around to any journals the last week and a half or so, I just really havent been up to much with my dad in the hospital, he really is not doing good and I don't think is chances of making it much longer are good, but I am trying to stay hopeful. He knows about my journal, and I told him that you guys are all pulling for him, which really touched him a lot, so thanks for all the support. Lion, yes that was K's gym, but I usually work out at a crappy gym in the small town I live in west of Co. Springs. I try to get up to his place to see him and work out with him once a month or so. I do really like my calves, but that is just genetics, thanks for all the comments though :). I took last Wed off as planned, and then on Thurs and Fri the stress just really got to me, and I was just too exhausted and not mentally ready to even try to go to the gym. My mom is having a very hard time emotionally, she and my dad have been married close to 40 years, so it's very hard on her. It's hard on me to deal with my mom suffering like that while my dad is not doing well, and I had a rough few days but I seem to have gotten myself together again. After almost a week off though I was ready to hit it hard tonight, and I did.

Dirk Pitt
06-09-2008, 11:34 PM
Workout Mon June 09

RC Warmup Work

H-Rolls
20 x 20 (rep pr)
20 x 15

Bench
155 x 3
185 x 3
195 x 3
215 x 1
235 x 1
245 x 1
255 x 0 x 2 (first attempt was a **** hair away, had I been wearing a belt I would have hit it, my spotter said he BARELY helped me on the 2nd attempt)

Seated DB Cleans (First Time)
20's x 10
25's x 8
25's x 5 (died)

Bench (wanted to see what I could do with 135 after the ME lift)
135 x 20 (last few reps were HARD)

Cable Tricep Pulldowns
75 x 10
75 x 10

Standing DB Curls
30 x 15 (pr + 3 or 5 reps, cant remember and not important to me)
30 x 10

Well I am getting bigger. I noticed my arms have a lot more definition than when I first started working out. My forearms are getting pretty big, I actually noticed a vein popping out of my left one when I was racking some db's so that is cool. Hopefully I can hang in there and not miss too many sessions because of the stress, but I really don't expect to be making a whole ton of progress until the situation with my dad sorts itself out. I just plan on going to the gym when I feel up to it, and working out however hard I can that day. I wanted to get in a good session today, and don't feel bad about missing the pr on bench because it was SOOO CLOSE. The second PR attempt was not nearly as close, I basically did it right after the first one and it stalled right away, but my spotter assisted as little as possible so I could get in a rep. I really thought I had the first try, if I had been wearing a belt the extra support would have done it for me for sure, it was that close. I tried out the seated DB cleans today, and those were pretty fun, I will probably work them in every now and then for sure. I think I want to rotate the accessory exercises I am doing, so it was nice to try those out. Thanks go to Kiaran for suggesting them to me. I did the cable pull downs for triceps just because I have been doing JM press the last few weeks and wanted to try something different just to change things up, and then decided to do some curls just because I didn't feel like leaving the gym yet, and figured I might as well work teh gunz :). I did the extra set of bench at 135 just for ****'s and giggles, I kind of wanted to do a little more bench work, but my spotter had left by then so I threw on some light weight and decided to go for reps :).

TheLion
06-10-2008, 09:30 AM
nice. seems like you had a good workout. good luck with your dad and that stuff

jed
06-10-2008, 10:59 AM
great to hear about your definition and stuff dude, thats always awesome to see noticable changes!

and about your dad and everything - i dont see how you can even hit the weights with stuff like this goin on. it takes a strong person to do that, so stay strong man. y'all are in my prayers.

Coke
06-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Super, throwing weights around lately and putting on mass as a result...stay strong during these times man.

Kiaran
06-10-2008, 08:51 PM
That's a solid workout for sure, bro. 255 will be yours very, very soon. You know this though. Good stuff with the 135x20, lol. You had to have a wicked pump after that one. Cool deal givin the DB Cleans a shot, haha, those things kill my traps and rear delts for sure. Take it easy and call/stop by anytime you like, bro.

Keith
06-10-2008, 10:25 PM
Way to keep in the gym through these times, man. You're one strong dude; mentally and physically. 135x20 is awesome lol. After building up all this strength, I get curious too as to what I can do with a weight like that.

Dirk Pitt
06-12-2008, 04:54 PM
Workout Thurs June 12

Hiking - Waldo Canyon Trail. Distance 6.8 - 7mi, elevation gain 1300 ft (the Forest Service map at the trail head says 2250ft, I dont know where they get that number from, they must count all the up and down or something), avg grade 7.4%, total time 2hr 55min.

I've been wanting to hike this trail for awhile now, and finally got around to it. I got the numbers for distance etc from a trail book I have and various maps that I found for the trail, both online and at the trailhead. It's a nice trail, you hike for about 1.75 mi and then reach an intersection with a loop that is 3.5 miles. I took a bunch of pictures and will link to them later on. I wanted to get in a long hike, and decided to hike today instead of hitting the gym for squats. I haven't really done any cardio the past few weeks and needed to get some in. Most of what I read said the hike should take around 4 hours and I did it in just under 3 so that is pretty good I think. My feet and ankles are pretty sore, the last mile or so my right ankle was very sore. I'm sure just about everything below my waist will hurt tomorrow, but it was a really fun hike with lots of great views, it's definitely a hike I will be doing again.

Edit: Photos of Hike Here (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3850&l=2c04e&id=1144021273)

fooz
06-12-2008, 05:17 PM
hey man. despite the problems with your dad, you still make a god damn great effort to go out there.. and do what you gotta do. That's some serious respect. Not many people would be doing that. But no doubt, spend some time with your father. I wish him the best.

Dirk Pitt
06-12-2008, 10:39 PM
Lion: Thanks for stopping by and for the kind words.

Jed: Yeah, it's cool how every week I have a little more muscle on me. Watching my body change is really cool. For me hitting the iron tends to relieve stress, but sometimes I am just too worn out by what is going on or can't get the right attitude to hit the gym so I don't.

Coke: Thanks, I am doing my best to stay strong. I'm preparing myself for the worst, because I know my mom will not take it well if the worst happens and I need to be the one to be strong and take care of ****.

Kiaran: **** 255, 260 will be mine soon :). Thanks so much for everything you have done for me. Knowing I have a place to stay close to my dad when I need it means so much. You and Jen are good people and I could not ask for better friends.

Keith: The mental strong part is harder for sure. There have been a couple times where I have not been sure if I can do it mentally, but then I talk to one of my friends or my Aunt, and after that I am strong again. Thanks for the words, they mean a lot.

Fooz: Thanks. I am getting up to see my dad pretty often. He is an hour and a half away in Denver, and right now my mom wants someone taking care of the house and the dogs so I am holding down the fort but still getting up there to see him every other day or so. Driving a 3 hour round trip every day plus the cost of gas just isn't going to happen, but every other day seems to work out well. We would have some friends look after the dogs and plants and I would just stay at Kiaran's a bunch, but after I spent a few days up in denver my dad told me he wants me to spend more time at home where I can study my programming stuff, so I am doing what he wants me to. It also takes a lot of worry away from my mom knowing that her dogs and plants are in good hands with me home.

After my hike today I figured my legs would be really sore and worn out. My leg muscles really are not very tired at all, it's my feet and ankles that hurt the most. I'm a big dude though, and 7 miles of hiking is a lot of impact on my feet and ankles, especially when they are only used short hikes, and I haven't even gotten out to do one of those in a couple weeks. I'll let them rest for a few days and then go hike again, it's the only thing that will get them used to it, and I need to be prepared for when I climb pike's peak.

Coke
06-13-2008, 06:27 AM
Good deal on finally hitting that biking trail, that stuff is very therapeutic imo.

Dirk Pitt
06-13-2008, 11:00 PM
Coke: Some people do bike it, but I was hiking. It was some good therapy getting out into nature for sure.

Workout Fri June 13 (light deads for reps)

Deadlifts
135 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 7
365 x 7
385 x 7
405 x 7 (pr + 4 rep)
425 x 5 (pr + 4 rep)

Well today was supposed to be speed bench day, but I wanted to deadlift when I got to the gym so I decided to warm up with some light pulling for reps and then do the bench. I was pretty spent after the pulling though and happy with the results so I went home. My hands hurt like hell and my forearms are completely shot. 405 x 7 and 425 x 5 were really hard to hold on to, I think I need to work on my grip strength. The last rep of 425 was butt ugly, and I may not have locked out all the way on my right side but I am taking it.

fooz
06-14-2008, 02:58 PM
awesome pulls bro, not much more to say here!

Indifference
06-14-2008, 07:24 PM
Wow I have no idea how you got in so many workouts without me noticing. Been a busy dude haha. A vein in your forearm you say? You want to share some of this forearm growth with me? Mine are absolutely tiny and pathetic, most girls have bigger forearms than me! Sounds like your definitely doing well and the hikind and cardio is doing its job if your starting to see new definition (its fun huh). Tough gig on the bench bro, you know next time youll land it though like nothing then add another 10lbs to it and nail that too right hehe. Awesome pulling as well my mang, youve definitely got some strength to the movement bro. Keep it up and ill try not to miss so many days in here (wtf how did I do it I dont know)

Coke
06-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Nice deads bro.

ddegroff
06-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Deads are huge bro, nice work!

TheLion
06-15-2008, 08:21 PM
great DL session. thats intense

Keith
06-16-2008, 08:54 AM
Jesus! Sick deads. You've got K beat on deads now, eh?

Dirk Pitt
06-18-2008, 12:00 AM
Indiff: The new definition is just more muscle. I need to do more cardio, because I have actually gained weight. I am at 280 now. But I am still a little skinnier than when I started out, so I am just putting on muscle and not really losing much fat. Still a fatass for sure though :).

Coke: Thanks again bro! It was nice to pull again, it had been a few weeks.

DDE: Thanks for stopping by.

Lion: Yes, it was very intense, more intense I think than a max effort. I caught my right knee with the bar on the way down the last rep of 425 and got a nice lump / bruise. It's kind of nice to get a bruise, I almost NEVER bruise.

Keith: Yeah, I've had Kiaran beat on deads for awhile now. He tied me when he hit 445, and then I went and got 455 :).

Finally got around to uploading the pics of my 7 mi hike from last week. Photos of Hike here (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3850&l=2c04e&id=1144021273)

Dirk Pitt
06-18-2008, 12:25 AM
Workout Tues, June 18

Box Squats
Found a small adjustable bench for box squats at my gym and decided to use it for some box squats.

135 x 5
225 x 5
275 x 2
The bench I was using had padding on it, and I was sinking way into the padding and it was SUPER hard to get out of it, so I lowered it to below the depth I wanted and kept it there as a safety.

Squats

275 x 3
315 x 3
365 x 1
375 x 1 (pr + 10lb)
385 x 0 (this one was really close. My legs had it no problem, but as I came out of the hole my core gave out and I gm'd really bad and failed.)

Well I went heavy on squats because there were a couple other guys at the gym that said they would spot me. I just had one guy on each end of the bar ready to grab it off me if I failed for 365 and up. My spotters were a couple of strong high school kids who were blown away by my squatting, so that was pretty cool. The looks on their faces after I nailed 375 were just classic. One of them said it was "really intense". My core is the weak link in squats and deads as well. I had more than enough leg drive to get 385 up, it was coming up out of the hole no problem but then my abs gave out and I gm'd. I had the adjustable box set to lower than I wanted to go for the squat sets, so that if I needed it I could just sit down on it as a bailout option, so I just had to sit back down on the bench and have my spotters grab the weight and then duck out under it so they could lower it into the catch bars. I was going to do bench tonight, and then squat tomorrow at Kiaran's, but my plans changed. I was supposed to go up to see my dad tomorrow, and stay at K's until friday afternoon so my mom could get a break and come back to the house for a couple days. My mom decided today that she does not want to leave his side, however, so I am going to go visit dad on Thurs (they have a bunch of other visitors coming tomorrow and don't want me coming up) and then come back home that evening for dog duty. Anyways I'm pretty happy to be back ahead of Kiaran on squats after he tied me yesterday :).

I need recommendations for core exercises. I am going to be taking it easy on the squats and deads the next few weeks and get my core strength were it needs to be to keep up with my back and leg strength, but I don't really know what exercises to do. I have a stability ball at home that came with a chart with a bunch of exercises, and I will take a look at that, but I would really appreciate some input from you guys on what core exercises you guys like, and how to do them.

Edit: All of the squatting was done with my thumb over and my pinky under the bar. It really took a lot of the strain off of my shoulders, and I must be getting used to squatting because none of the weight really felt very heavy on my back.

ddegroff
06-18-2008, 07:51 AM
Couple of good ones that I use for all my clients are:

-Russian Twists with a Med ball ss w/ Toe Touches (on back, feet in the air, crunch MB to your feet) 30sec each, no rest between
-Figure 8 - Lay on your back, feet elevated (~20' off the floor), crunch your body up, trace a figure 8 pattern with your feet elevated the whole time. If your low back starts to hurt raise your feet. Try to keep the movement slow and controlled.
-Squat Hold- Bottom of a squat, sit and hold for as long as you can. Hold a 10-15lb weight straight out in front of you. You can also do this on a BOSU ball.

I have more, but those are my favorite.

Keith
06-18-2008, 09:04 AM
Awesome squat PR, man. You're really coming along very nicely. In terms of core exercises to help with the squat and deadlift, I'd recommend reverse hypers, GM's, walkouts, hanging weighted reverse crunches, band crunches (Kiaran does them), glute-ham raises, etc. There's plenty more but those are what come to mind. Check out elitefts.com. They probably have some good articles that talk all about strengthening the core.

Coke
06-18-2008, 09:53 AM
Fine job with those sets of squats dude.

fooz
06-18-2008, 01:55 PM
sweet PR bro. You got 385 no problem next week. DD had some good advice, it's helped me aswell.

jed
06-18-2008, 02:03 PM
woah those deads a few days ago were totally freaking suck! i have no idea where your strength is coming from, but its amazing. 375 squat is just sick too dude. wow.

Indifference
06-18-2008, 09:39 PM
Hey buddy congrats on the squat PR! I swear your a mad man when it comes to leg stuff. Id definitely do what DD said and also any sort of weighted crunches or GHR situps or GM's would benefit you. Also just more volume on squatting would help im sure. Youve got some crazy ass potential in you bro you know that? Keep it up man!

Keith
06-23-2008, 10:27 AM
:boring:

Kiaran
06-24-2008, 01:08 PM
Where you at, dude? Get to work! :windup:

fooz
06-24-2008, 02:44 PM
Rawwwwwwwwwwwwwwrrrrrr! FOOZ WANTS MOARRR Of DIRKK

Dirk Pitt
06-25-2008, 11:41 PM
Trip Report: Gemini Camping Bash

Well I was sore as **** from squats last week until thursday, and I had my camping trip starting friday so I was not about to be sore for camping. I partied all ****ing weekend long and got maybe 5 hours sleep total between when I woke up on friday around 9 am and when I got home and went to bed monday morning at like 2am. My buddy that I went out there with had to get back to denver to work at 2 pm monday so we couldnt stay the whole weekend. My boxing match with this dude Jay went well. I beat his ass, there will be at least 2 camera angles on youtube. I realized early on that I could take his best punch without being fazed at all so I ended up just dropping my gloves and letting him hit me in the face as much as he wanted while I swung for the fences. I should have just boxed him the whole time like I did when we started out but I sort of got blood lust and taking his shots and glaring at him afterwards made me feel badass. Of course, now it's Wednesday night and my jaw is still sore from letting him hit me. This dude is pretty crazy though, he's 6'4'' or 6'5 and only 180lb. Super stick lanky dude, and he was talking **** starting friday night all the way up until about 3 hours before we boxed on sunday, when he finally realized that he was probably going to get his ass kicked. I wish I had a picture of the look on his face right before we fought when I asked him how much he weighed, then told him that I have 100lbs on him. Everyone wanted him to get beat down too because he was a drunken idiot most of the weekend and did some pretty stupid **** on a borrowed dirt bike. Blazing it through the campsite and dusting 20-30 people out several times on saturday. He was too dumb to even wear gear, he just wore a helmet, t-shirt most of the time and shorts with skate shoes, blazing a dirt bike down trails and ****. He also took said borrowed bike down the state highway with expired tags and no motorcycle license and ran it out of gas several miles from camp, so people had to take a truck out to him to load up the bike and drag it and his sorry ass back. Then he decided to get drunk and take out the dirt bike he borrowed, and then crashed it and ****ed it all up. I didn't hear exactly what he broke on it but I heard he did some damage. So yeah, Jay was on everyone's **** list and I hit him so hard his eyes rolled back on the way down a couple times. I think I knocked him on his ass 3 or 4 times, and I landed several hard power punches to his ribs :). It was a smaller camping trip than last year, only 80 or so people showed up. My buddies who camped right next to us brought a watermelon that they had cut the top off of and scooped some of the insides out like a pumpkin and then filled it up with vodka and let it set for 18 hours. That was crazy, drinking vodka from a watermelon, and it tasted like watermelon juice, you could hardly tell it had alcohol in it but it was basically straight vodka. The watermelon itself was pretty tasty too :). A couple other of my friends brought up homemade dip that they made that was the BOMB. They had a chipotle dip that was the best dip I have ever tasted in my life and some green chile dip that was dank too. So much weed got smoked this weekend it's not even funny. The dudes who brought the melon also saved all their change for a year and cashed it in to buy a fat sack for the camping trip, and it was some dankity dank. So many people brought up bud that there was almost constantly a bowl going and I was ripped the whole weekend. I'm definitely not going back to my pot head days but it was pretty cool to just get all ripped and drunk and to pummel a dude I was pissed at in the woods for a weekend, and hang out with a **** ton of really good people.

jed
06-25-2008, 11:44 PM
damn.

Dirk Pitt
06-26-2008, 12:01 AM
Workout Wed June 25

Worked out at Kiaran's place tonight after I went up and saw my dad. I got pwned by his gym yet again.

H-Rolls
20 x 17
20 x 17
20 x 14

Bench
135 x 10
175 x 10(rep pr by a lot)
205 x 8(rep pr by a lot)
225 x 0(guess I was sort of burned out)
225 x 2
135 x 17

Ghetto T-Bar
90 x 10
135 x 10
180 x 10
225 x 4 (had to do the "fatty ding dong stack")

Uneven Side Bar Bends
20 x 10 each side
20 x 15 each side

The uneven side bar bends pwned my core. My upper body is destroyed too from the bench and T-Bar Rows.

New Workout Plan

I am going to go away from the power side for 4-6 weeks and explore different exercises and different rep ranges as I am still new to lifting and I want to see what is out there. In my current state I will put on muscle by doing any kind of lifting, so I expect when I come back and start lifting for maxes again I will set some big pr's. I want to do more volume and start doing cardio again so I can get rid of this fat gut. Don't worry though, I will be coming back and lifting for power again as that is what I really want to do. Kiaran and I are talking about maybe competing raw next year depending on how we progress.

Coke
06-26-2008, 05:46 AM
Camping trip was ill, lol...session was not bad over at Kiaran's.

fooz
06-26-2008, 07:12 AM
hell of a ****in weekend bro... god damn haha

Keith
06-26-2008, 02:36 PM
Holy reps. Getting away from the powerlifting side for now, eh? You have some decent strength to put on some quality size so play around with it! Lol, awesome weekend.

bigmoney
06-26-2008, 03:39 PM
"The dudes who brought the melon also saved all their change for a year and cashed it in to buy a fat sack for the camping trip, and it was some dankity dank. :"

LOL, classic Dirk. Sounds like a great time up there. Great lifting.

Dirk Pitt
06-26-2008, 04:20 PM
DING DING DING Presenting the Gemini Fight Videos!

Round 1

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7GKOxJMRvMw&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7GKOxJMRvMw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Round 2

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i0VE3veotf0&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i0VE3veotf0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Dirk Pitt
06-26-2008, 04:36 PM
Feedback

DDE: Those figure 8's and squat holds sound good, I will give them a try. Thanks!

Keith: Sweet. I plan on doing some GM's and will try some of the other stuff as well. I will also check out elitefts

Fooz: Thanks buddy.

Coke: Thanks for stopping by.

Jed: Yeah those deads were pretty intense. The squats were intense too. I think my strength comes from my size.

Indiff: My legs are pretty strong. Now I just need to get my upper body really strong and my legs stronger. I'm going to do GM's for sure, and some of what DDE said, and give the cable pulldown sit ups and some other stuff a shot. Those uneven bar bends that Kiaran does are pretty intense.

Jed, Coke, Fooz: Yeah camping was SO much fun. I am all sad now that it's over and I have to wait until next year. It's been going on for 19 or 20 years now, I've only been the last 2 years. My buddy Brian came up too, which was really surprising. 4 years ago at gemini he had a head on crash on one of the trails with his buddy who died and he ended up with some pretty severe head injuries. It was his first time back since the accident, and a lot of people thought he would never come back, so it was really good to see him up there.

Keith: Yeah I will come back to the darkside but I want to mess around with some reps for a little while and do a bunch of core work so when I come back to power my core can handle what my legs and back can.

Money: LOL it was a great time in the woods. Thanks.

fooz
06-26-2008, 04:59 PM
Hey dirk... why would you even attempt to fight that piece of ****? lolol

Nice to hear that your friend is doing ok, and got a chance to have some fun this year.

Indifference
06-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Hahaha Wow that was some interesting *fighting*. More like you toying with some tiny dude who stood no chance from the get go. Sounds like you had an awesome time camping bro. I especially liked the dankity dank part... lol that brings back some memories. What are you thinking about doing as far as volume and stuff? If your interested Id suggest the texas method that me and Auburn and Redspikeything are doing. Its much different that low rep stuff and it will really work some muscular endurace. Your looking solid in those videos bro.

Keith
06-26-2008, 05:05 PM
That's amazing. Round 2 was kick ass. You rocked him but it was definitely expected.

Kiaran
06-26-2008, 06:49 PM
Nice workout the other night, bro. LOL at those videos. Those were as good as I was expecting them to be. Looks like you had a great time too. That dude is one tall mother, and damn skinny too. The best shot was by far the 3 punch combo that knocked him clean down. Complete definition of "got your Bell rung" right there, bro. See ya tomorrow.

killxswitch
06-27-2008, 09:23 PM
After seeing the David and Goliath pics in Kiaran's thread I figured I'd drop a comment. Nice 3 hit combo in round two up there. Skinny dude deserves credit for getting back up every time though. I'm too lazy to go back a page to see your latest workout so I'll just catch the next one.

McLaughlin
06-28-2008, 12:43 AM
Those videos are cool, wish I could do that around here.

Dirk Pitt
06-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Fooz: I like boxing and beating his ass was fun.

Indiff: Dankity dank is dank :) I looked at the texas method and it looks like it is for intermediate lifters. I have only been lifting for 10 weeks or so and consider myself a beginner. It looks like texas leans more towards lifters who are at the stage where they are not setting PR's every week while I am still just getting started and my strength is increasing quickly. Thanks for suggesting it though, it got me to read about it and it looks interesting, although the idea of doing bench squat and deads in the same workout does not really appeal to me.

Keith and Kiaran: Like I said up above, it was a lot of fun. The combo was pretty brutal, but I still think the first one was the best. I hit him clean with 1 punch and saw his eyes roll back as he went down, it was great.

Kill: Thanks for stopping by. Jay is a bad mofo for getting up all those times.

McLaughlin: Thanks!

Dirk Pitt
06-30-2008, 06:27 PM
Workout Sunday June 29

Squats

135 x 10
225 x 10
275 x 5(pretty sure this was a rep pr)
275 x 11(rep pr)
275 x 12(rep pr, failed 13th rep)

18'' Box Jumps

3 sets of 15

Band Pulldowns

green x 20
purple x 15
purple x 15

275 x 11 Squat

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d0VjACvwEdU&hl=en"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d0VjACvwEdU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

275 x 12 Squat

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DqczXvt0cJg&hl=en"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DqczXvt0cJg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Workout slayed my legs. They are toast. It was hot as hell in K's garage too, I was sweating my ass off. The last couple squat sets were pretty intense, the hardest part was trying to breathe. Also got pwned by the band pulldowns. When I drove back from denver this afternoon and got out the car I almost fell on my face, I have some nice doms in my legs, ass and abs. I need better depth on the squats for sure. I am going to work on using a narrower grip to make my shoulders more flexible so I can start squatting low bar. That will let me bend at the waist more which will help me get my ass farther back and keep my knees back as well. My knees hurt today.

jed
06-30-2008, 06:32 PM
are you serious? like, seriously? omg. 275x12 with a set of 11 before that... wow dude. its all i can say. you could maybe afford to get a tinge lower but still... 12 reps... eeesh.

killxswitch
06-30-2008, 07:55 PM
Heh in the vid your last squat was better than your first. That's awesome though dude, 11 and then 12 reps, just a superior effort. Good luck tomorrow with getting out of bed though. There's no soreness like squat soreness, eh?

bigmoney
06-30-2008, 07:57 PM
thats about as raw is it gets....barefoot and all. Nice work dirk.

Jaybird88
06-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Yowza! Great work going on in here, homie. Keep rocking!

fooz
06-30-2008, 09:00 PM
Big ****ing deal, your squatting your body weight. Lol, seriosuly though, nice job man, that's pretty rough.

Kiaran
06-30-2008, 10:14 PM
Lol, yeah your legs got to be ****ing TOAST by about now. Good form or not on those: who gives a ****. That was 110% heart, bro. I love when you come up to lift cause it always shows me what the term "pushing the limits" really means. Seriously, dude.

Indifference
06-30-2008, 11:14 PM
Damn big guy, that was pretty inspiring. 11 and 12 for 275 jesus buddy, thats AWESOME. I do agree that you need to get a bit lower and low bar will help you with flexibility. May I suggest getting a camera or something like K has and recording yoruself so you know when you hit depth. What you dont want to do is pull a ME and continue upping the weight without getting those last few critical inches and end up being able to handle 350+ up top but getting ravaged by 250 down low. Regardless man the effort was great today buddy, enjoy your legs tomorrow, you better believe they are going to have their payback!

Keith
06-30-2008, 11:19 PM
LOL, great effort, dude! Reppage with that weight would suck balls. Not sure if you know this but, 275x12 doesn't work anymore. For me, at least.

Coke
07-01-2008, 06:06 AM
Killer sets of squats man.

ddegroff
07-01-2008, 08:27 AM
That's just crazy squatting! Strong work bro.

Dirk Pitt
07-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Workout Tues July 1

H-Rolls
20 x 17
20 x 15
20 x 15

Bench
135 x 10
165 x 10
175 x 10
185 x 10 (rep pr)
195 x 1 (just ****ing died)

T-Bar Rows
135 x 15
180 x 10
225 x 6 (pr + 2rep)

DB Flys
35's x 10
35's x 10

I was tired all day. Yesterday and today I have been ****ing miserable with doms. Barely able to walk from the glutes, hammies and groin, and I have ab doms as well. Really wanted to stay home and not work out, but I forced myself to go. I just totally ****ing gassed on 195 bench and actually failed my first attempt. I had to sit there for a few seconds with the weight on my chest before I could summon up the will to lift it. The sets of 10 on bench and the flys gave me a decent chest pump, but overall I am just tired.

Dirk Pitt
07-02-2008, 12:26 AM
Feedback
Jed: Thanks Bro. Yeah, need to get lower.

Kill: Thanks for stopping by! I got ****ing pwned by the doms. As far as no doms like squat doms I'm not so sure. I think Deadlift doms are the worst, although they are have less ab pain and more upper and lower back,
but squat doms suck pretty bad too. Getting out of bed wasn't too bad, it's the stairs that suck.

Money: Yeah I don't like squatting in my tennis shoes, so at the gym I usually wear socks, but they can slide so I decided to go barefoot at K's. Thanks.

Jay: Thanks Mang!

Fooz: Yes I know I am fat and weak and can only squat bw 12x. Maybe one day I will be lean and strong like you :).

Kiaran: Thanks man. There's something to be said for having to crawl out of the cage and lay on the floor for a few minutes after a set. Legs are still pwned, it's brutal.

Indiff: Thanks man. Glad I could inspire you. I do need to get lower, on my ME attempts and low rep sets I really concentrate on getting good depth though, so I am not too worried about being a little shallow on a 12 rep set. The legs have most definitely been getting their revenge.

Keith: Thanks Bud! I kind of get off on pushing myself really hard. It feels good when I know that I gave it everything I had, and I was completely spent after that last set. The box jumps afterwards were a real bitch.

Coke and DDE: Thanks guys!

killxswitch
07-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Good job working through the pain and getting a rep PR dude. I still think the worst DOMS I've ever had were from squats, but each person is different. I never feel that bad after deads. Maybe I'm just not moving enough weight yet.

Kiaran
07-02-2008, 09:32 PM
A lot of bench volume there, man. You had to feel pumped to hell afterwards, lol. How're the H-Rolls treating you? Think they're worth the time? T-Bars lookin good too. That was 5 plates then? Strong flyes too, damn.

jed
07-02-2008, 11:01 PM
haha damn, 41 reps on bench is a bunch dude. thats crazy!

Coke
07-03-2008, 05:47 AM
haha damn, 41 reps on bench is a bunch dude. thats crazy!

No doubt, dude is ill and can't be messed with as we can see, lol - :D

TheLion
07-03-2008, 06:24 AM
nice fight video. if you didnt already, that should be in the video thread. everyone loves watching people get destroyed.

Dirk Pitt
07-09-2008, 11:02 PM
Workout Wed July 09

Squats
135 x 7
225 x 5
275 x 5
315 x 4 (rep pr, failed 5th rep :( )

Hip Abductor Machine (Seated Leg Spreads)
20 x 12
20 x 20

Hammy Curls
150 x 10
150 x 10
150 x 8

Hanging Knee Raises
Don't know what to call these. Hang from chin bar and raise knees to chest
bw x 10
bw x 12

Elliptical
Lasted 7 min before my legs said **** you lol.

Well my membership expired at the gym I was going to, and I just happened to see a sign for another gym as I was doing errands right before I went in to renew it today. I decided to check out this other gym just to see what they had, since the gym I have been going to has no powercage which pisses me off. This new gym is open 24hr and has a powercage so I joined there. I'm super stoked about having access to a cage now. I'm really upset about my squats, I wanted 7 reps at 315 but failed rep 5. I'd probably only eaten 700 calories or so today, and that was at 2. I worked out at 9:15 so that might have had something to do with it, I don't know. I just felt weak on squats today, I was getting good depth but a couple times I gm'd a tiny bit out of the hole. I haven't been working out much lately and that **** is going to stop. It's time for me to start hitting the gym 3 or 4 times a week again. Last week I was broken down almost the whole week from those ****ing squats at Kiaran's, and I was also kind of depressed from all the **** that's going on with my dad, not that that's a valid excuse.

Dirk Pitt
07-09-2008, 11:10 PM
Kill: Thanks dude. Squat doms suck ass for sure, but the worst I've ever had were from deads. One of my first few times lifting and I pulled 445 over at Kiaran's place. I could not move for the rest of that day and the day after, and the day after that was pretty bad too.

Kiaran: Yeah I was pretty pumped. H-Rolls are treating me good. They really help my shoulders out, and work the rear delts quite a bit too. I need to do more upper back work, I haven't gone up in weight on them in quite a while. Yeah 5 plates on T-Bars. I just realized my new gym doesn't have t-bar machine :(

Jed and Coke: Thanks, it really wore my ass out. Well, actually my chest and arms, but you get the point.

Lion: Haven't put the vid in vids forum. I might have to. Thanks for stopping by.

Coke
07-10-2008, 06:15 AM
The new gym sounds sweet...doing nice with the squats and all dude.

Dirk Pitt
07-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Coke: Thanks bro. I'm not sure if I like this new gym better than my old one. The other one had probably 3x more space, this one is super crowded, just wall to wall machines. It has a cage though which I need, and I can also change the music so that is nice.

Dirk Pitt
07-10-2008, 11:15 PM
Workout Thurs July 10

Bench
135 x 10
185 x 5
205 x 3
225 x 6 (Rep PR)
225 x 3 (failed 4th rep)
205 x 5

Seated DB Cleans
30's x 8
25's x 10
25's x 7

Standing Cable Ab Pulldowns
100 x 12
100 x 10
100 x 8

Assisted Pull Ups
BW-80 x 4
BW-80 x 4

My lower abs were pretty sore today and I definitely felt them on bench. I finally got leg drive on bench figured out though. I am pretty happy with my 225 x 6, I was only hoping for 5. Rep 4 of that set is when the leg drive happened. I was starting to stall out, and would have failed the rep, and I just told myself to drive with my legs and all of a sudden the weight went up and I got in a couple more reps with the help of my legs :). The last rep was really ugly but I will take it. I found out that I can't bench in the cage at my new gym. The only movable benches they have are pretty tall, and with the wide spaced holes I could not find a suitable position for the catch bars. It was either not be able to touch my chest (unacceptable) or have the catch bars so low they would do nothing (also unacceptable). The good news, however, is that their bench press bench has low hooks that are very low. These came in handy on my 2nd set of 225 when I failed rep 4. I only have to be able to get the weight 2-3 inches off my chest to get it racked into the low hooks, and that was not a problem. I decided to give the assisted pull up machine a try, I think I am going to use that until I am strong enough / light enough to do actual pull ups. Also my current body weight is 275, so I am down from a high of 283, which is good as I am a fat ass and need to lose weight. I also read an interview with Louie Simmons today where he said "All my abdominal work is done standing up. I do pulley crunches facing away from the machine, but instead of kneeling, I remain standing. It's a much more natural use of the abs than while sitting or kneeling. Muscles have to relate naturally to one another in order for a person to be strong." So I did my ab pulldowns standing in the lat pulldown cable station. Just bent over and brought my elbows to my knees.

Coke
07-11-2008, 05:50 AM
I need to give those standing cable ab pulldowns a shot...good effort Dirk.

jed
07-11-2008, 11:39 AM
workouts looking killer, dirk. no big deal about failing after the 4th rep at 315, thats some heavy weight. youll get 5+ next time bro.

ddegroff
07-11-2008, 03:31 PM
Past workouts look good man, nice work!

A gym without a Squat rack is not a gym, imo.

Keith
07-11-2008, 03:49 PM
I call those hanging knee raises, reverse crunches. If you can hit a 375 squat, you can push out more than 4 with 315. Probably just a bad day for you. You're much stronger than that, though. Great benching though, dude!

Dirk Pitt
07-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Coke: Let me know what you think of those, thanks for stopping by

Jed: Thanks.

DDE: Thanks, the other gym has 2 squat racks but no power cages. The squat racks just have catch bars at my kneecap level so they do nothing.

Keith: Yeah, I know I can get more reps than that. I just felt really weak that day on squats for some reason.

Dirk Pitt
07-15-2008, 12:42 AM
Workout Monday July 14

Elliptical Machine
30 min 400 calories burned

Bench
155 x 5
185 x 5
215 x 3
245 x 1
255 x 0 (Would have had it but my right hamstring cramped up bad and I lost leg drive)

JM Press
105 x 15
135 x 8
135 x 8

Curls
30s x 15 (pr I'm sure)
30s x 10
30s x 6

Meh, I'm not very happy with this workout. I wanted 245 x 3 and couldn't even get 2. After that I decided to go for 255 to try for a pr, and I almost had it but my right hamstring cramped up BAD in the middle of the lift and I lost my leg drive and had to bail out. My hammy is still tight and sore. The curls gave me a decent pump, but meh, I don't work out for a pump I work out to get strong.

Coke
07-15-2008, 05:40 AM
Still on the mark with that session bro, make no mistake.

jed
07-15-2008, 11:11 AM
drop those curls and put some tricep iso in instead! :P don't get too down about that workout dude, your hammie cramped, thats usually a guaranteed biff on a lift no matter what it is, cuz that **** hurts! go back next time and smash it!

killxswitch
07-15-2008, 11:22 AM
Sucks you didn't bench the way you wanted to. Lol I know how that feels. 245 is still a good weight though, get 255 next time.

Dirk Pitt
07-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Coke: Thanks for the words but I sure don't feel on the mark.

Jed: I did Tricep Iso with the JM press silly. I'm more down about the 245 x 1 instead of 3. Past couple of weeks I have gotten weaker for sure.

Kill: Meh, I may be not lifting heavy for awhile, see below. Thanks for the comments though.

So I am not really sure what I am going to do as far as lifting the next 4 weeks. The last few weeks I have felt really weak in my core, and the core exercises I have been doing are only making it worse. I have been having some pain / soreness in my lower abdomen on the left side. Also the ball pain I was having in my left nut is back, and seems to be getting worse. The 2 are definitely related, and I have made an appt to see the urologist (finally). Unfortunately the earliest he can see me is august 11, so that's a ways away. I'll probably keep lifting until then, but I really don't expect to make any progress. I am pretty sure this **** is the reason my lifting has been crappy lately. My squat session last week was definitely core related, 275 x 5 was really hard, and I only got 315 x 4. Just a few weeks ago I hit 275 x 10 and 12, and 5 reps was pretty nasty last week. It was definitely a weakness in the core though, the problems I have been having are with supporting the weight. After basically every workout now my lower abs are sore. And they are sore when I bench, even yesterday when I had several days of rest so I should not have had any soreness anywhere. So anyways something is wrong, but I am going to lift carefully until I see the doctor, and then I should find out what it is and I figure there is a good chance I will have to stop lifting for awhile.

killxswitch
07-15-2008, 01:12 PM
That sounds pretty bad, I hope the doc helps you out and it turns out ok.

Keith
07-15-2008, 02:47 PM
Ahhh, I hate hamstring cramps. They ruin everything. I'm sure you would have had it if that didn't happen, big guy! Urologists are always a bitch to see. They take forever, but worth it once you talk to them. I can't see it being anything serious. It's very common for men to experience pain there for no reason.

Indifference
07-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Ahh dont worry about the missed lift big guy. As everyone already said and I agree with, a cramped hammy will keep any lift down lol. Also sorry about the pain your getting. Id definitely be going to the doc as soon as possible. Id say in the mean time scratch whatever is hurting you and work on your big3 compounds or go light for a bit its up to you man!

Dirk Pitt
07-15-2008, 11:21 PM
Kill: Well my doc is pretty sure it's not a hernia, but he says there is some bulging. He wasn't sure what was up so he referred me to the urologist.

Keith: Yeah it's just uncomfortable. The ball pain actually hasnt been that bad, what's more annoying is the discomfort in the lower abdomen.

Indiff: It's the big 3 that bother me, so I may be doing everything BUT those lifts if this keeps up. Looking back though, I think I may have tweaked my lower abs on bench the other week. I did a good bench session the day after working lower abs, so they were sore and weak to begin with, and they've been kind of sore since.

Dirk Pitt
07-15-2008, 11:26 PM
Workout Tues July 15

Elliptical Machine

2 x 30 min, total of 870 cal burned. Took a 5 min break between sets.

Well I was going to squat today, but after I got off the elliptical and went to set up the cage my lower abs were bothering me, and I knew it would just be another ****ty session so I said **** it, I'm going to let that **** rest a little and I got back on the elliptical for another half hour. I may squat tomorrow or not, depending on how I feel. I think right now I am going to really start to focus on hitting the cardio and losing some weight, because I am sick and tired of being a fatass. I need to get rid of this ****ing gut so I can get some self confidence and go get laid :)

Kiaran
07-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Damn, 60 minutes on the elliptical? Nice work, dude! Glad you are finally seeing that doc about the pain. Worst case is it's a hernia and they'll sew it up and you'll be back liftin heavy in a few months, right? Probably something strained though and just needs a few weeks to heal and for you to strengthen the core a little more before hitting it so heavy. Losing some pounds will definitely do you some good. Remember to track the cals and watch that diet if you're really serious about it. It's all about calories in/calories out. You know this though. How'd your weekend go? Also, **** you for getting 225x6 on bench...****ing strong bastard...gonna pass me up in no time :D

fooz
07-17-2008, 03:02 PM
**** bro, your bench is getting strong. I need to really catch up. :(

Dirk Pitt
07-17-2008, 11:31 PM
Kiaran: Yeah that elliptical pwned me. I was drenched in sweat when it was done and just plain worn out. I'm definitely pleased with 225x6 on bench, and am going to rest up and work on core. Thanks for all the advice tonight on squats, I now realize how my core weakness is manifesting itself, with my knees unlocking before my hips at higher weights.

Fooz: Thanks man, you will catch up once you get your cast off. Just be sure to take it easy the first couple weeks once that cast comes off, your wrist and forearm will be weak for sure and you don't want to jump back in heavy right away and get hurt again. I'd say start with some lighter weight for more reps to get yourself used to benching again, see how it goes and take it from there.

Dirk Pitt
07-17-2008, 11:47 PM
Workout Thurs July 17
At Kiaran's garage of pain.

Bench
45 x 10 w/u
135 x 5 w/u
185 x 3
205 x 3
225 x 1
245 x 1
255 x 1 (pr + 5lb)

Uneven Side BB Bends
20 x 10 per side

Vid 255 x 1 PR

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jIyVVtjiFKs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jIyVVtjiFKs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
The uneven bends really bothered my lower abs. It's when I have to bear down that I have the most discomfort. I did 1 set and called it quits. I just got really tired, last night I slept on a futon in the hospital room with my dad. I got to bed around 3am and woke up at 7am, and got woken up 10 times or so in between, so I just didn't have the energy to really do more. On my bench pr I got a little cramp in my lower back on the right side, right over my kidney where my belt sits, and that was sore afterwards but no big deal. Happy to get that 255 pr, looking at the vid it looks like I got it way easier than I felt. I had to drive with EVERYTHING I had to get it up, but it came up pretty smoothly, got stuck a little on the right side, but overall a way better bench than my 250 pr. I did cause some drama though. K's wife was upstairs on the phone with her parents and they could hear me screaming and got freaked out a little I guess. She came down to make sure nobody had gotten hurt, but it was just a big oaf going for max effort :). After the workout I got to talking squats with big K, and described what is going on when I squat. The hardest part for me is bringing the weight down when it is heavy weight, it feels like my quads are taking the whole weight. With the higher weight my core can't take it and I unlock my knees before my hips and drop straight down instead of bringing my ass back. I had noticed a big difference in my squat form with light weight compared to heavy, which is that I squat correctly (ass back first, then knees bend) with light weight, but my body compensates for the core weakness and reverses this with heavy weight, putting all the weight on my quads on the way down instead of my hammies and glutes. I am really glad that K knew right away what was going on, so now I am going to be doing squats with light weight and proper form until my core gets stronger. Probably no more than 225 on squats for awhile. Glad to get a PR on bench, even it was only 5 lbs.

Coke
07-18-2008, 06:11 AM
Glad to get a PR on bench, even it was only 5 lbs.

No doubt man, that's the way to raise up in this game.

Keith
07-18-2008, 05:45 PM
Hahaha that's an AWESOME scream! Awesome PR, bud. Glad your bench is raising up again.

killxswitch
07-18-2008, 05:54 PM
I watched the vid 3 times just for the scream, awesome intensity there Dirk. Congrats on the PR. It's good Kiaran saw what was up with your squats, good luck with your form adjustments and such. Do you squat high or low bar? I think I did some of what you're talking about when I was doing highbar but the weight felt a lot less out-of-control during descent when I started doing low bar more.

Kiaran
07-18-2008, 10:43 PM
Haha, that war-cry is classic, dude. I said it when I watched you do it and I'll say it again: nice ****in lift, bro! Definitely glad you're gonna focus on the core for those squats. When you get that form down, you're gonna smoke 405 and beyond. You'll be that dude at the gym hittin up 6pps and all, man. Just don't snap a knee off like those weightlifting accident videos we were watchin, hah!

Dirk Pitt
07-18-2008, 11:14 PM
Coke: Thanks Bro, any improvement is still improvement, and that is good.

Keith: Thanks. I find that screaming helps with lifting, it may be that to get a good scream you have to tighten up even more and that's how it helps, but it does help.

Kill: Glad you got enjoyment from the scream. It was a really hard lift for me, but I was DETERMINED to get it and was not going to let a little thing like gravity stop me. I squat high bar but am working on increasing my shoulder flexibility so I can squat low bar, but right now I just cannot get my arms to bend far enough to squat low bar. I think once I switch to low bar it will make it easier for me for sure.

Kiaran: Well, I am doing my part to scare your yuppie neighbors with the crazy screams coming from your garage :) Hopefully I get the all clear from the urologist when I see him in a few weeks, and once my core strength improves the weight will increase for sure. Right now my legs can handle more than my core though, and that is what is causing the form issues at higher weights. I think high reps with the low weight will help strengthen my core, and I have lots of core exercises to work on thanks to all you awesome guys here.

fooz
07-19-2008, 08:35 AM
****in vicious bro. lovin' the intensity!

Indifference
07-21-2008, 08:18 PM
Wow man that was an awesome battle cry. Id probably come runnin down to to make sure nobody was dead lol. Sounds like you know what you need to do on the squats man, lookin forward to seein you pull through and move some epic weight!

Keith
07-22-2008, 05:16 PM
If anyone tells you not to scream or screaming is stupid, scream in their face. It'll also help you get over the nerves!

TheLion
07-22-2008, 06:57 PM
i wish i could scream in my gym

Dirk Pitt
07-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Well my aunt has been in town form California. She has really opened my eyes to a lot of things around me, so that is pretty cool. I haven't seen her in 9 years so it's been really good to see her, and my dad is starting to do better. They are about to start the 3rd round of chemo on him, so next week will probably be a bad week, that **** is nasty stuff and it really tears him up. After the last round of chemo, once they stopped it and the side effects had time to kick in, he went off to another place mentally and doesn't remember 3 days. But he is doing much better now, the amyloid production has been lowered and his heart is already getting better. With everything that's been going on I havent made it to the gym in a few days, but I am going to work out tomorrow night for sure.

Fooz: Thanks man! I like your new avatar.

Indiff: Lol, glad you liked the scream. I will get my squat issues worked out, get my core stronger, and get on the path to squatting an enormous amount of weight :)

Keith: I think screaming in someone's face would end badly. I would probably get kicked out of the gym and that would suck. It would be really funny though.

Lion: There's a sign on the wall with the rules, and making loud or obscene noises is forbidden. I am usually there by myself, so I can scream as much as I want. I can also now bring in death metal cds and crank them on their kickass sound system :evillaugh:

Dirk Pitt
07-24-2008, 12:07 PM
Workout Wed July 23

Squat
45 x 10
135 x 10
225 x 8
315 x 5 (rep pr)
315 x 1 (died)

Hip Abduction
20 x 10
20 x 10
20 x 10

I was really tired, I spent the night at the hospital and only got a couple hours of sleep. I just got really tired after the squats and wasn't really up to working out anymore, I just wanted to go home and sleep.

Edit: I also did a set of 7 hanging leg raises, but for some reason my right hand hurt REALLY bad and I couldn't hold on to the pullup bar.

TheLion
07-24-2008, 02:52 PM
nice pr bro. solid, especially with your conditions

Kiaran
07-24-2008, 05:56 PM
Nice job, bro! How'd that new form work out for you? I hear ya on being tired. Good that you listened to your body and got some sleep. How's the ab feeling after those squats too?

Indifference
07-24-2008, 09:22 PM
Lol im so jealous man. 315 for 5 after all the stuff youve been going through. Awesome dirk, totally awesome. Go sleep for like 2 weeks and eat a cow and come set some really big records!

Dirk Pitt
07-24-2008, 10:30 PM
Lion: Thanks.

K: Yeah dude, I really concentrated on ass back first, and did it properly at all weights last night. The form comments you made really helped out a lot. Those squats worked the core pretty good too.

Indiff: I really wanted 315 x 7 but oh well, I haven't been lifting hard enough or frequently enough for that. I'm just happy to not be getting weaker. Thanks for the words.

Dirk Pitt
07-24-2008, 10:39 PM
Workout Thurs July 24

Bench
45 x 10 x 2 warmup
135 x 7
185 x 3
225 x 3
235 x 3 (rep pr)

Abs and nut were not happy so I called it a day :(

Well I went swimming this morning with my Aunt who is in town from Northern Cali. Since 99 I have been in a pool once, and that was in 01, so I haven't swam in awhile. I swam in HS and it jacked my RCs up pretty bad so I stayed out of the water. I have access to a REALLY nice pool on tuesdays and thursdays, the owner of the company my dad works for has a pool that he opens up to employees and their families those days. It looks like a 25 yard pool with a hot tub, sauna and great view of Pikes Peak. It's indoor, but there are tons of skylights and all the walls are all glass so you can see outside easily. I may start swimming again since my RC problems have gone away with the h-rolls. I did quite a bit of kicking and swam some backstroke. Back was the only stroke I didn't swim in HS, but I still know how to do it correctly. I didn't have goggles so that really eliminated free, breast, and fly. I have my goggles somewhere though, hopefully I can find them.

TheLion
07-24-2008, 11:16 PM
dude. thats some fantastic benching bro. solid PR. keep at it man. you're doing well

Coke
07-25-2008, 05:26 AM
Great concentrated training with the squats & bench press...super you have access to such a sweet pool.

jed
07-26-2008, 08:22 PM
looking good with the 315x5 and 235x3 big man. keep it up.

Dirk Pitt
08-19-2008, 11:43 PM
Well I haven't lifted in forever. I just found out today that my dad isn't going to make it. The chemo treatments they were doing were working, and things were going good. He was supposed to come home last week for a few days before his last chemo and the stem cell transplant, but he got an infection which spread through his body and he has been in the ICU since last monday or tuesday. He beat the infection and they took him off life support for a couple days, but he is not strong enough to breath on his own and he needs the last round of treatment because the effect of the last chemo has worn off and his disease is coming back, so he is only going to get weaker and there is no possibility of him surviving more chemo. They put him on life support again yesterday but since there is no hope for his survival they took him off of it today and he will live anywhere between a few hours and a week. Also I finally got in to see the urologist last week. I have a tiny hernia that does not require surgery, but I shouldnt do any ME lifting for awhile and I need to do lots of lower ab work, so that is good news that I don't need surgery. With what's going on with my dad I have no clue when I will get in the gym again, but I will once **** settles down. I've been eating ****ty and not getting any exercise so I'm getting fat and am going to have to do a ****load of cardio to get in shape, but oh well right now I have more important **** to take care of.

Dirk Pitt
08-20-2008, 12:57 AM
Well he died right around the time I was making the above post. It really was his time, and a few weeks ago he had a spiritual experience and felt god enter his body so I know that he is in a better place.

Coke
08-20-2008, 05:50 AM
We are with you during this time of loss, God bless you and your whole family.