PDA

View Full Version : Incomplete Proteins?

mickyjune26
04-17-2008, 08:18 AM
I learned in my nutrition class that proteins from nuts and beans contain incomplete proteins, or amino acids that need other amino acids to form a complete, usable protein.

In order to make a complete protein, they should be eaten with their complimentary foods....beans with whole gran rice, and peanutt butter with whole grain bread.

Is this true?

Also, if I eat an incomplete protein without consuming their complimentary protein in a 24 - 48 hour period, are these amino acids not used?

Unreal
04-17-2008, 08:28 AM
They are used. Just you need to eat other stuff to get the other amino acids. Proteins are broken down into amino acids, not the other way. Then your body processes them. To get all the essential amino acids you would need to eat a "complete" protein (one that contains all essential amino acids) or just a variety. If you are taking whey, or milk, or meat, then your getting all over them.

Fixxit
04-17-2008, 04:25 PM
Here's a great page explaining alot about proteins.

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/courses/bio104/compprot.htm

Slim Schaedle
04-17-2008, 05:22 PM
In short (and I do mean short), unless your diet severely lacks in protein, you follow ADA guidlines of protein intake, or you eat no meats, fish, eggs, or dairy, the issue of incomplete proteins is not much of an issue at all.

As Unreal touched on, proteins are broken into di, tri, or olgiopeptides, or individual amino acids, and absorbed into the intestinal cells.

They exit the intestinal cells as individuals amino acids and then perform hundreds of dfferent functions.

Many of those require those individual AA's being assembled into completely new proteins.

So you've got Protein ---> bunch of AA's ---> completely different protein.

Then you have issues such as meal digestion overlap, the amino acid pool, diunral cycling, etc. etc.

Like I said, this is dumbed down big time. But in general, anyone following a bodybuilder type diet does not have to be worried.

mickyjune26
04-18-2008, 07:46 AM
Thanks guys. I read the article Fixxit posted and the impression I got was the same, Slim. Plus, in order to get enough proteins from non-meat sources, I'd have to eat tons of carbs, something that my body doesn't really like, as I'm thinking I'm hypoglycemic.

The article did concern me when in the middle it started talking about how "cruelly" cows were treated in large cattlefarms. I wonder if this article was written by a vegan....lol....

Slim Schaedle
04-18-2008, 09:59 AM
Wow, that's funny....

I just looked at the school where that came from at and it's
my school. (although it's Clermont college)

http://biology.clc.uc.edu

Written by her..http://biology.clc.uc.edu/steincarter/index.htm

mickyjune26
04-18-2008, 10:15 AM
she has a cool page. it's just too bad they had to insert an opinion on animal cruelty on a nutrition page. ...not very professional...

mickyjune26
04-18-2008, 10:16 AM
off topic slim, but is that you in your pic?

Slim Schaedle
04-18-2008, 10:29 AM
off topic slim, but is that you in your pic?

Yes sir.

mickyjune26
04-18-2008, 10:34 AM
man, you got the looks and the brains. I bet the girls are all over you, lol. I'm workin on the strength and fat. That's pretty good too right?

Slim Schaedle
04-18-2008, 10:39 AM
man, you got the looks and the brains. I bet the girls are all over you, lol. I'm workin on the strength and fat. That's pretty good too right?

It's all about personality, no joke

:)

Plus, since you are the green giant, you are unique and will stand out in a crowd, and that's very important.

mickyjune26
04-18-2008, 10:58 AM
I agree man. I'm glad I found my girl. We are both silly and nerds together. and that's what I like! :read:

okay - back on topic....