PDA

View Full Version : Hockey Lower body suggestions?

Kovalchuk71
04-17-2008, 06:55 PM
Hey guys, for hockey I am beginning to do more squats and deadlifts. But the thing is, I want to gain agiity and endurance for my muscles while still gaining some power. How many sets/reps do you suggest I do?

Tikiman
04-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Try sprints, plyometrics, footwork training (rope ladder). After playing hockey competitively for many years, thats what it always came down too, and greatly increases speed and agility.

We also did russian box jumps. If you don't know what they are google it, kind of looks like this \__/ .

Reko
04-18-2008, 06:23 PM
What position/level do you play at?

Hockey is kind of weird to train for since it is about 30-60 second shifts every couple of minutes. Having power helps as in you can create a strong stride both for the puck and hitting people, so having strong wheels is key. To build a big squat, you will want to perform heavier reps (more weight, less reps- 2-5 range for a max). However, that is only part of the equation, you can get strong all you want but you still have to be able to move. Doing explosive movements like box jumps, step ups, and those russian things above are good too. Just make sure you are flexible and for gods sake, train your abs, they are the most important asset you have on the ice after your legs!!!

Never seen you play and I'm not trying to knock you or anything, but also just improving your stride and having sharp skates will do wonders for you speed, agility, etc.

You may also want to look into something that a some foot ball players (RB, WR) or track sprinters might do. Its very similar in motion, just not on ice.

nhlfan
04-18-2008, 08:45 PM
I'd pull and push a heavy sled, do 20 rep breathing squats, and possibly cleans.

Reko
04-18-2008, 11:14 PM
Definately the sled, but vary it with heavy and light, going as fast as possible as always.