PDA

View Full Version : To Equip or Not? (Squat/deadlift question)

TKisner
04-22-2008, 04:58 PM
I play football so for me powerlifting is about getting as strong as possible and not necessarily lifting the most weight I possibly can. I maxed box squat about a month ago @ 530lbs off a parallel box. With no box I think I can probably hit 460-470. Anyways recently I started using bands and absolutely love them. I just started deadlifting again and im doing good in the 400+. So here is my question I have been squatting without a belt. I dont use knee wraps. Im under the impression that they allow you to do more weight. What would be better for someone who is trying to get as strong as possible, but like I said before not necessarily move the most weight. Lifting less weight (no belt knee wraps) or (knee wraps only) or (belt and wraps)? Also when it comes to deadlift I have been using wrist straps. I like them I find it is tough for me to hold 400+ for numerous reps. Again I propose somewhat of the same question. Would it be best for me to use (no belt, wrist straps, knee wraps) or wear (belt, wrist straps, and wraps)? Thanks alot everyone

Lones Green
04-22-2008, 05:23 PM
i wouldn't use powerlifting gear, go raw

use a belt for your heavy sets just for injury prevention

use wrist wraps whenever you want

Reko
04-22-2008, 06:04 PM
If you are lifting to get strong (for football I am assuming), then I would imagine raw or as raw as possible will be the best bet (as in belt woudl be ok I would think for the heavier sets).

I mean, you don't wear gear on the field right?

TKisner
04-22-2008, 06:17 PM
I have heard that using knee wraps through allowing you to use extra weight increases your strength gains and cns ability. Any truth to this?

Xellarz
04-22-2008, 06:30 PM
Also depends on where your weaknesses are. If you wanna work more on your core, go beltless most of the time. If you wanna work on your grip, don't use straps.

Lones Green
04-22-2008, 06:39 PM
I have heard that using knee wraps through allowing you to use extra weight increases your strength gains and cns ability. Any truth to this?

i think knee wraps for very heavy sets would be fine.

you need to work your grip if you have trouble holding onto the bar while deadlifting. double overhand static holds are great.

Ben Moore
04-22-2008, 09:13 PM

Knee wraps, depending on squat stance, really aren't all that necessary. For your goals of getting stronger for football, a belt is about the only thing I'd suggest if you want to overload a bit.

deeder
04-22-2008, 09:14 PM
Knee wraps, depending on squat stance, really aren't all that necessary. For your goals of getting stronger for football, a belt is about the only thing I'd suggest if you want to overload a bit.

:withstupi:

You won't be wearing gear on the field so why train with it?

Now, if you wanted to get stronger for football AND planned on competing in powerlifting then I'd say hell yeah get into some equipment!

Travis Bell
04-22-2008, 09:19 PM
squat, squat and squat again haha

I'd agree, if you do plan on competing in powerlifting go ahead and get some equipment, but if you just want to be better off for football, get a belt and get to work.

do you have a good strength and conditioning coach?

Invain
04-22-2008, 09:23 PM
Or he could just compete raw. :p

I see absolutely no reason to use gear, especially if he just wants to get stronger for football.

deeder
04-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Or he could just compete raw. :p

I see absolutely no reason to use gear, especially if he just wants to get stronger for football.

What's the fun in that? :hello:

Ben Moore
04-22-2008, 09:28 PM
Seriously Invain - do you seek out gear discussions to become involved in?

I think he should just squat naked to be sure he doesn't get any benefit out of the boxer briefs...

deeder
04-22-2008, 09:29 PM

I think he should just squat naked to be sure he doesn't get any benefit out of the boxer briefs...

I've heard of Russian super heavyweights warming up in nothing but briefs to be sure that they get no support whatsoever from shorts or even t-shirts. I don't know if this is true though :evillaugh:

Travis Bell
04-22-2008, 09:31 PM

LOL just don't make any videos!

Invain you may want to wait until you've done a PL meet or two before you just condem the gear. Have you ever worn any sort of gear?

Invain
04-22-2008, 09:54 PM

No I was mostly joking since I've gotten so much **** in here lately. :clown:

Invain
04-22-2008, 09:58 PM
I don't see anything wrong with mayyybe a belt and wraps as others mentioned just for safety, but really, I honestly don't see the point in using a suit/shirt if he's just training for football.

Really though, fill me in if I'm completely wrong. You're right, I've never used gear so I don't know much about any benefits from training with it, if there are any.

Ben Moore
04-22-2008, 10:05 PM
I don't see anything wrong with mayyybe a belt and wraps as others mentioned just for safety, but really, I honestly don't see the point in using a suit/shirt if he's just training for football.

Really though, fill me in if I'm completely wrong. You're right, I've never used gear so I don't know much about any benefits from training with it, if there are any.

No, I agree - he doesn't need the suit/shirts. A belt will only allow more confidence and IAP under bigger weights.

Invain
04-22-2008, 10:08 PM
Gotcha.

drew
04-23-2008, 07:00 AM
I would go with a belt and wear it a notch loose so you have room to push out against it. Knee wraps aren't really necessary. I would use straps for deadlifting only on your heaviest sets where your grip is failing.

Shirts and suits are not necessary if you're not competing or if PLing isn't your goal. If you get anything, I would think about squat briefs just because it will keep your hips happy.