PDA

View Full Version : First Bench Shirt- Does this look right?

littleman19
04-22-2008, 07:17 PM
hey, i got my first shirt in today so i figured i'd try it on. i got my brother to help me get in on. i'm not sure if the sleave's were supposed to be where they were. my brother said the sleaves wouldn't go back any more, but he's a very lanky guy and not very strong.

can y'all tell me if this looks right? shold it be lower on my chest or higher on my back? i'm most confused about the shoulders and if the seam is supposed to stop a little before the end of my shoulder or is it supposed to go back more? you can look at the scares to see where it stopped.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6649/frontjl4.jpg

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/3957/sspx0593mt4.jpg

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/9181/sideni0.jpg

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/9636/sspx0595ia1.jpg

Travis Bell
04-22-2008, 07:23 PM
looks pretty good actually for a first shirt. Eventually you'll probably go tighter but this one will more than likely be great for a starter.

Bergs
04-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Have you tried benching in it yet? That usually helps the shirt settle into where it should be. As it is, I think the chest might be a tad high - you'll know if when you bench, it starts to choke you.

Big o Boy
04-22-2008, 07:44 PM
Does look a tad high in the top picture. Grab a belt and strap it down tight and have your bro try pulling it down.

Nice scars. ;)

deeder
04-22-2008, 08:31 PM
The chest plate needs to come down quite a bit. My girlfriend wears an F6 and we put the seam of the sleeve on the inside of the arm. If you feel on your elbow the bony part on the inside, we line it up with that.

The arms look like they are pulled up right about where they need to be. To see if the shoulders are set right put your arms out like you were benching and pull your shoulder blades together. You should feel it 'biting' right on your rear delts. If it feels like it's resisting more on the tricep than on the shoulder then you need to get the arms up a bit more.

I hope you have some people to train with to teach you how to wear it and how to bench in it. Learning gear alone is not an easy thing to do. Benching in a shirt is very technical. IMO, even more so than squatting.

littleman19
04-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Have you tried benching in it yet? That usually helps the shirt settle into where it should be. As it is, I think the chest might be a tad high - you'll know if when you bench, it starts to choke you.

nope, tommorow i've got speed bench and either saturday or sunday i'm going to try benching in it. i'll definitely use a belt though when benching

Does look a tad high in the top picture. Grab a belt and strap it down tight and have your bro try pulling it down.

Nice scars. ;)

haha thanks, thats just from putting it on so i can imagine how much its going to cut into me when i bench

The chest plate needs to come down quite a bit. My girlfriend wears an F6 and we put the seam of the sleeve on the inside of the arm. If you feel on your elbow the bony part on the inside, we line it up with that.

The arms look like they are pulled up right about where they need to be. To see if the shoulders are set right put your arms out like you were benching and pull your shoulder blades together. You should feel it 'biting' right on your rear delts. If it feels like it's resisting more on the tricep than on the shoulder then you need to get the arms up a bit more.

I hope you have some people to train with to teach you how to wear it and how to bench in it. Learning gear alone is not an easy thing to do. Benching in a shirt is very technical. IMO, even more so than squatting.

notes taken, thanks for the tips :thumbup:. i'll try putting it on again tommorow to work on putting it on correctly before i start benching in it. when i tried pulling my shoulders back, there was a definite "biting" on my triceps more than my delts so i'll try fixing it tommorow and testing it out again. unfortunatly, i don't have anybody to teach me how to wear and bench in it since i work out at the local YMCA. there's one guy who used to powerlift with guys in shirts, but i don't think he himself ever wore one. i'll ask.

one thing i noticed though was that it was easier to pull my arm back when they were a few inches below my nipples rather than right below them as i normally bench. is this how the grove is supposed to work?

Travis Bell
04-22-2008, 09:33 PM
just make sure you have good spotters or bench in a power rack so if you dump it you're safe.

wear a power belt as well when you bench in the shirt, it'll help keep the collar down

deeder
04-22-2008, 09:35 PM
nope, tommorow i've got speed bench and either saturday or sunday i'm going to try benching in it. i'll definitely use a belt though when benching

haha thanks, thats just from putting it on so i can imagine how much its going to cut into me when i bench

notes taken, thanks for the tips :thumbup:. i'll try putting it on again tommorow to work on putting it on correctly before i start benching in it. when i tried pulling my shoulders back, there was a definite "biting" on my triceps more than my delts so i'll try fixing it tommorow and testing it out again. unfortunatly, i don't have anybody to teach me how to wear and bench in it since i work out at the local YMCA. there's one guy who used to powerlift with guys in shirts, but i don't think he himself ever wore one. i'll ask.

one thing i noticed though was that it was easier to pull my arm back when they were a few inches below my nipples rather than right below them as i normally bench. is this how the grove is supposed to work?

Yeah that sounds like the groove. The bar should come down at the bottom of the sternum. You should practice benching like that without the shirt too so it becomes more natural.

littleman19
04-22-2008, 09:57 PM
just make sure you have good spotters or bench in a power rack so if you dump it you're safe.

wear a power belt as well when you bench in the shirt, it'll help keep the collar down

haha ya, i'll definitely have a spotter so i don't kill myself. as for the belt, i might have to use my school belt so i can make it tighter if the one at the gym can't hold it down

Yeah that sounds like the groove. The bar should come down at the bottom of the sternum. You should practice benching like that without the shirt too so it becomes more natural.

ok, sounds good. i'll start practicing tommorow w/ DE bench, hopefully with mini-bands if they come in the mail before i go to the gym.

jtteg_x
04-22-2008, 10:53 PM
http://www.liftinglarge.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=6

same shirt too ;)

deeder
04-22-2008, 10:58 PM

same shirt too ;)

That's a good tutorial! Not the same shirt though... OP's got an F6, that's a Fury. Same company, so you were close :thumbup:

drew
04-23-2008, 07:02 AM
Looks good for a first shirt. Like some others said, you'll want to pull the collar down a bit and put your belt on tight to hold it in place.

Have fun with it.

Guido
04-23-2008, 08:09 AM
I have an F-6, too. Keep the collar down in front or it will choke you when you bring the bar down to your chest. Have a buddy pull it down in front (called "cranking it"). Use a belt to keep it from riding up. You can get narrower belts just for use with bench shirts. Other than that it looks fine. Just be sure to have side spotters once you start doing full presses so you don't dump the weight on your face. Wrist wraps help with stability, too, so you might want to invest in those.

littleman19
04-23-2008, 02:38 PM

same shirt too ;)

awsome! thanks for the link!

Looks good for a first shirt. Like some others said, you'll want to pull the collar down a bit and put your belt on tight to hold it in place.

Have fun with it.

will do :thumbup:

I have an F-6, too. Keep the collar down in front or it will choke you when you bring the bar down to your chest. Have a buddy pull it down in front (called "cranking it"). Use a belt to keep it from riding up. You can get narrower belts just for use with bench shirts. Other than that it looks fine. Just be sure to have side spotters once you start doing full presses so you don't dump the weight on your face. Wrist wraps help with stability, too, so you might want to invest in those.

thanks for the help! ya, i definitely don't want to choke myself lol. oo and i order a pair of wrist wraps with the shirt so i'm ahead there.

Guido
04-23-2008, 02:40 PM
Good show. BTW, once you get used to the shirt, turn those sleeves inward and bring the chest down more. It'll be harder to touch your chest but you'll get a lot more out of it (it's called "torquing" the sleeves).

kingkong51
04-23-2008, 03:29 PM
looks good to me

littleman19
04-23-2008, 07:44 PM
Good show. BTW, once you get used to the shirt, turn those sleeves inward and bring the chest down more. It'll be harder to touch your chest but you'll get a lot more out of it (it's called "torquing" the sleeves).

sweet! i'll definitely look into that. i really appreciate the all the great advice! thanks again

Ruffian
04-24-2008, 04:16 PM
The shoulders were definately too far forward... The majority of your biting was near your tricep, it needs to be back a good inch or so. When my F6 bites into me it is exactly on my rear delt... It will be the easiest touch and best groove that way. Try swimming your arms a bit in it (I dont know if you are with people who know how to use the shirt or not) but get it back a little farther. You will definately feel the difference.

I hope you bench with an arch, the F6 is definately made for people who arch... and if its cutting into you that much just by putting it on I dont think you are sliding it up right... either that or the arms are WAY too tight.

Good luck either way. ITs a good shirt to start in... I cant wait to get my first Metal presser though...

littleman19
04-26-2008, 10:44 AM
The shoulders were definately too far forward... The majority of your biting was near your tricep, it needs to be back a good inch or so. When my F6 bites into me it is exactly on my rear delt... It will be the easiest touch and best groove that way. Try swimming your arms a bit in it (I dont know if you are with people who know how to use the shirt or not) but get it back a little farther. You will definately feel the difference.

I hope you bench with an arch, the F6 is definately made for people who arch... and if its cutting into you that much just by putting it on I dont think you are sliding it up right... either that or the arms are WAY too tight.

Good luck either way. ITs a good shirt to start in... I cant wait to get my first Metal presser though...

thanks ruff, i got the sleaves back some more with the swimmin techinque, definitely helped.

As for benching in my shirt for the first time today.......

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?p=1918008#post1918008

thanks for the help everyone :hello:

littleman19
05-02-2008, 03:08 PM
k so tommorow I have ME Bench and was wondering whether or not I should go for ME on boards, or try ME no boards again since I'm still learning the shirt. Or both? I was planning on doing both, but was just wondering what others who have experience think.

Travis Bell
05-02-2008, 04:23 PM
have you touched yet?

littleman19
05-02-2008, 05:23 PM
have you touched yet?

ya, I touched and got a +60lb PR. Here's my workout.

Saturday- ME Bench (4/26/08)

Bench (first time using shirt)

45x20
95x5
135x3
155x3
185x2

Put on F6 (this sucked and took a lot of work- thank God i had my friend helping)

3-Board
205x1
2-Board
225x1
1-Board
240x1
Full-No Boards
255x1 (PR+30 touch-flew up)
270x1 (PR+45 touch-good grove, very smooth)
285x1 (PR+60 touch- little stalling about half way up, then blew up the lockout)

Travis Bell
05-02-2008, 05:46 PM
then no boards, work on getting better at touching and working off the chest

littleman19
05-02-2008, 05:58 PM
then no boards, work on getting better at touching and working off the chest

ok sounds great, thanks for the advice :smoke: