PDA

View Full Version : 'On Protein' - has anybody ever been shocked to hear you supplement?

dannystanton
04-23-2008, 04:45 AM
Hey all, kind of new, but I've got one thing that I wanted to ask.

Whenever anybody asks about my training, and it's clear they don't train themselves or are fairly new to it, they always ask if I'm 'on protein', in a negative way as if I'm cheating in some way if I supplement.

It's become so regular recently that I wish there was some way to educate the masses into believing that supplementation is not cheating. It's like asking somebody if they eat properly, isn't it? All we do by supplementing is take on the nutrients we feel/know to be necessary by easier means than through our diet, which would end up costly, and potentially arduous (I spend enough time cooking as it is!). Can you imagine eating like 6-7 chicken breasts a day? I would if I could, but I really don't think I could stomach it.

I really feel that that legal supplements are misunderstood by the general population, who instead associate them with steroid abuse.

Who else has this problem or has noticed it? It can't only be me!

On a side note, what's everybody's favourite protein supp? I use USN Whey at present, as I find it tastes good, mixes easily and is great as it has next to no carbs, but I'm wondering what else is out there!

Pleasure to be here.

Danny

Unreal
04-23-2008, 08:05 AM
Nitrean, Maximus, Opticen, Muscle Milk are my favorites.

Protein supplements are food, but saying all supplements are just like eatin right is not correct. I don't think a thermo, caffeine, creatine, beta-a, HMB, etc fit in as just food.

Klotz
04-23-2008, 08:15 AM
I usually explain that protein powder is nutritionally the same as cottage cheese.

WORLD
04-23-2008, 08:17 AM
When talking to those people, I tell them I've been on that creatine stuff too, and I've been abusing steroids since I was 14.

Just compare the protein to chicken, like you said. That's what I do. If they arent willing to learn what you're teaching them, don't continue wasting your breath.

CrazyK
04-23-2008, 11:22 AM
I've had someone tell me, "That Protein **** will shrink your package dawg, stay natural".

Lones Green
04-23-2008, 11:23 AM
HAHA thats like someone saying

"i don't lift raw, i use wrist wraps"

bjohnso
04-23-2008, 11:43 AM
I try to avoid talking about supplements with normal people.

Paul Stagg
04-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Likewise, I just don't talk to people.

I'm totally on tilapia today. Gonna git jakt.

Alex.V
04-24-2008, 10:48 AM
I have never, ever heard anyone express shock or surprise that I'm taking any protein supplements. Even people who don't lift or work out with any kind of regularity have often done a diet at some point or another that has them drinking shakes or something similar.

Then again, maybe I don't talk to enough high school kids or old people.

Notorious
04-24-2008, 11:31 AM
I know a bunch of people who just have protein sitting around at their home but don't work out at all.

But I do hear all kinds of weird stuff about creatine.

Mik
04-24-2008, 11:37 AM
I tell people I freebase whey.

drew
04-25-2008, 05:07 AM
I have never, ever heard anyone express shock or surprise that I'm taking any protein supplements. Even people who don't lift or work out with any kind of regularity have often done a diet at some point or another that has them drinking shakes or something similar.

Then again, maybe I don't talk to enough high school kids or old people.

Same here. This is new to me. I think the worst I've ever heard is from my mom, that "all that protein is bad for your kidneys". M'kay.

getb1g
04-25-2008, 07:29 AM
I tell people I freebase whey.
hahaha

mickyjune26
04-25-2008, 11:55 AM
Same here. This is new to me. I think the worst I've ever heard is from my mom, that "all that protein is bad for your kidneys". M'kay.

You know what hurts kidneys? Getting drunk.