PDA

View Full Version : powerlifting meets

fooz
04-23-2008, 03:53 PM
I was just wondering... is there any competitions coming up in the summer or what not, preferably on the east coast. Specifically teenage power lifting (15 years old).

At 165 pounds, what are some good opening lifts? I'm just curious on how strong i am compared to other 15 year olds across the nation. I might consider doing these depending how my lifts are and what not.

Lones Green
04-23-2008, 04:07 PM
check out powerlifting watch for meets, there are plenty on the east coast

as for worrying about competing with other lifters...dont. go into the meet competing against yourself and hit PR's.

thewicked
04-23-2008, 04:19 PM
check out powerlifting watch for meets, there are plenty on the east coast

as for worrying about competing with other lifters...dont. go into the meet competing against yourself and hit PR's.

that's right..and they'll all be pr's because it's yoru first time working in a meet! :thumbup:

just like in all the other sports i've been in..never worry about anyone else but yourself. Do your best..and let the others worry about you..not hte other way around. :)

powerlifting watch is where i go..and as far as your openers go well that depends are what your maxes are at the time, etc. let us know how it goes!

i've only been competing for 6months and LOVE it! I've been on the stage twice and it's the best rush i've ever had!

Reko
04-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Also make sure you go to the rules briefing and practice lifting how your fed will be judging (they will specify ahead of time so you can go check out the rules), such as waiting for press/rack commands, pauses, etc.

fooz
04-23-2008, 04:35 PM
Thanks guys, i checked out the federations on the website and this is what i came up with. This was the only link available you might want to check to make sure. State : New Jersey

http://www.njpowerlifting.com/

Lones Green
04-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks guys, i checked out the federations on the website and this is what i came up with. This was the only link available you might want to check to make sure. State : New Jersey

http://www.njpowerlifting.com/

that is a very strict federation, make sure you familiarize yourself with the rules.

fooz
04-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Hey Lone, what federation would you reccommend for a first timer?

thewicked
04-23-2008, 04:57 PM
Also make sure you go to the rules briefing and practice lifting how your fed will be judging (they will specify ahead of time so you can go check out the rules), such as waiting for press/rack commands, pauses, etc.

oh hell yeah that's a HUGE thing to consider...speaking from personal experience after last weekends meet I can tell ya that learning your judging rules is CRUCIAL because you damn sure don't want surprises on the platform! :omg:

Lones Green
04-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Hey Lone, what federation would you reccommend for a first timer?

it dosen't really matter, research the different federations and see which one you like the best. some only allow single ply gear, multi ply gear, and there are raw feds as well. pick a fed, pick a meet, and do what you need to do.

drew
04-24-2008, 04:47 AM
I just look for a meet nearby that I feel like doing. I don't care much about the fed. There are some that I stay away from though.