PDA

View Full Version : Just Wondering about Pickles....

JustinBm
04-26-2008, 07:55 AM
I bought some pickles yesterday, and I am eating them. I will eat the whole jar over time, I am just wondering if they are bad for me, I am trying to lose fat, and lift to build muscle mass, which is working well, however, I would like to incorporate some pickles into my diet because they are new and different, there is a lot of sodium in them though.

VikingWarlord
04-26-2008, 07:58 AM
Pickles are cucumbers plus salt and vinegar.

They're fine.

motor head
04-29-2008, 01:55 PM
pickles, never heard that one

Unreal
04-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Dill or sweet? Sweet ones are loaded with sugar. Dill are good low cal snacks.

RedSpikeyThing
04-29-2008, 03:34 PM
Dill or sweet? Sweet ones are loaded with sugar. Dill are good low cal snacks.

Unless you're drinking the brine, there are essentially zero calories.

Rogue
04-29-2008, 04:22 PM
Pickles are indeed tasty, but the added salt and sugar lowers their nutritional value. You're better off eating some cucumbers on your salad...

RedSpikeyThing
04-29-2008, 06:08 PM
Pickles are indeed tasty, but the added salt and sugar lowers their nutritional value. You're better off eating some cucumbers on your salad...

how much sugar do you think you're actually ingesting from a freakin' pickle? And, assuming no pre-existing conditions, salt is good for you.

Rogue
04-30-2008, 02:16 AM
1 cup of chopped sweet pickles is almost 200 calories, 50 grams of carbs, and 1500 milligrams of sodium.... Look it up if you don't believe me...

curiosity
04-30-2008, 11:00 AM
1 cup of chopped sweet pickles is almost 200 calories, 50 grams of carbs, and 1500 milligrams of sodium.... Look it up if you don't believe me...
Who the hell eats a full cup of chopped pickles? a standard pickle is around 1/4 cup

And will someone please tell me whats so ****ing wrong with sodium in the weight training athlete?

Unreal
04-30-2008, 12:50 PM
A sweet pickle can easily be 50-80 calories. Eat 2-3 and your having a few hundred calories of sugar. Now a dill pickle is about 5 calories, so who cares what 15 calories is doing to do, but 180-210 makes a difference to me.

Rogue
04-30-2008, 01:27 PM
Eating foods with unnecessary amounts of sodium, will cause you to retain water. The body only needs between 2000-2500mg of sodium a day to complete its metabolic functions.

If you go way over that mark, you are indulging in a mineral which the American population has been using in excess for quite some time now, creating many health problems and concerns. Keep your sodium moderate, and replace excess salt with spices such as garlic, ginger, fresh vegetables, black pepper, chives, cilantro, Ms. Dash, hot sauce, or anything else your taste buds desire.

curiosity
04-30-2008, 03:33 PM
Eating foods with unnecessary amounts of sodium, will cause you to retain water. The body only needs between 2000-2500mg of sodium a day to complete its metabolic functions.

If you go way over that mark, you are indulging in a mineral which the American population has been using in excess for quite some time now, creating many health problems and concerns. Keep your sodium moderate, and replace excess salt with spices such as garlic, ginger, fresh vegetables, black pepper, chives, cilantro, Ms. Dash, hot sauce, or anything else your taste buds desire.
Youre confusing the weight training athlete with the sedentary individual who sits on their backside all day eating lays fat free potato chips in a bid to lose weight

Sodium requirements/tolerances for the athlete who indulges in heavy amounts of resistance or cardiovascular exercise is much much higher

A sweet pickle can easily be 50-80 calories. Eat 2-3 and your having a few hundred calories of sugar. Now a dill pickle is about 5 calories, so who cares what 15 calories is doing to do, but 180-210 makes a difference to me.
And why is sugar a bad thing? 180-210 calories of pickles is rather a lot in terms of portion size, i know a few people who will be physically full with 1 coupled with a small meal, so again this is being pedantic for no good reason