PDA

View Full Version : I <3 Squat

f-rider
04-26-2008, 05:14 PM
So I decided to start a training log with an audience, because otherwise I'm too lazy to keep one.

Some background information:

23y/o, male, 92kg/204lb bodyweight, current bf% unknown (but somewhere within 10-20%), 176cm/5'9" tall. I do powerlifting as a hobby, lift according to IPF rules with IPF-approved gear. Best lifts: 205kg/452lb squat (2008 Canadian Nationals), 120kg/265lb bench (gym, prep for Canadian Nationals), 202.5kg/446lb deadlift (Canadian Nationals, sumo, belt-only) in the 90kg/198lb class.

Started 3-lifting in February of last year, bodyweight 72kg/158lb, before that just did squats starting from October 2006, before that didn't go to the gym.

Current goals:

Short-term:
87kg/192lb bodyweight by May 15th. I have a bet with my brother. So far down to 92.5kg from a high of 95.9kg on April 16th.

Long-term:
Sept. 13 USPF powerlifting meet at Muscle Beach in Venice (incidentally, if anyone in West LA wants to train with me, send a PM - I'm putting together a team for the meet, we will have cool t-shirts and even cooler totals). 600lb squat, 335 bench, 600 deadlift in the 198lb class. Optimistic? Maybe. I was planning on a 500 squat and 500 dl for Canadian Nationals, but had to lift with a sprained wrist (which didn't impact my deadlift - a certain "wardrobe malfunction" did - no, there was no nudity involved - my advice is to not use deadlift slippers when doing sumo, it turns out they slip pretty badly when you have socks on).

I hope to accomplish these goals by attacking my two main weaknesses - lower back and bench. My current limiting factor in the squat is how much my lower back can withstand. To address that issue, besides working on strengthening the LB, I am also switching back to a narrow (shoulder-width) stance, which lets me keep my back more upright. Strengthening the LB will also allow me to use a deadlift suit, since every one I've tried (besides the Inzer HC squat suit, which doesn't give any pop) messes with getting my back set up, which prevents me from locking out. Basically, my lower back is a huge impediment to my legs.

The story with bench is much simpler. I just need to do it more and get my raw bench up to an acceptable number for my bodyweight.

f-rider
04-26-2008, 05:34 PM
Here are the first three workouts of my new program:

Sun 4/20
DL 5x3 375 no belt
BP 5x3 175
Rack pulls 4x2 455
BP 4x4 165
GM 5x5 225

Tues 4/22
DL 6x2 385 no belt
BP 5x3 185
DL 5x3 365 up to knees
BP 4x4 165
Rows

Thurs 4/24
BP 6x2 195
SQ 5x3 335 b+w
BP 4x4 165
SQ 4x4 315 b+w
GM 5x5 225
Rows

I've ommitted the warm-ups, they are basically sets of 1, 2, 3 plates going for 8-10, 4-6, 3 reps, respectively, for both the squat and DL, and 135x6, 165x3 for the triples for bench.

The basic layout is Tues - DL, Thurs - Squats, Sun - Squats (the first week didn't work out this way because I thought I'd do DL tueday, then changed my mind). You may notice it's similar to a "Sheiko base" program in that it has three days with two squats, one deadlift, and bench every day. The difference is the doubling up of the bench and squat, and the percentages, both of which are from Sergey Ivanov's programs.

The basic program layout for the day is the main exercise consisting of 5 sets of 3RM weight, then same for bench, then more of the main exercise, then more bench, and finally some assistance work.

I will switch up the secondary deadlift exercise from rack pulls to pulls to the knee (first 2 pulled up over the knee and paused, 3rd rep pulled up over the knee, paused, then pulled to lock-out) every week.

I haven't squatted without at least the squat suit bottoms on for the last 3 months, and now I've decided to squat belt and wraps (b+w) with a narrow stance, and a high bar placement with my hands out until my wrist heals up completely, so I'm going conservative on the weight. I'll try a 6x2 of 355 tonight and if that feels strong, I'll make that the target of my triples. In comparison, my working weight with squat suit bottoms for 5x3 is 385.

I should add in hyperextensions and Roman-chair abs to the assistance work, but those 3 workouts have all been around 3 hours long already. Once my wrist heals up I'll add weighted dips; those seem to have really helped my bench progress before the injury.

ryuage
04-26-2008, 05:48 PM
welcome to journal land, looking forward to seeing your progress

:spam:

deeder
04-26-2008, 06:00 PM
I don't know how you can bench press after squatting or deadlifting. My back gets so jacked there's no way I could arch properly on the bench.

That's some pretty heavy work so soon after nationals! Is this a program you've worked on with Boyd? Or mostly your own crazy stuff?

Ruffian
04-27-2008, 11:51 PM
Nice seeing you again!!!

I would say id follow you but Im not often on WBB anymore... I just float occasionally.

And that IS a weird program!

f-rider
04-28-2008, 01:11 AM
4/27:
BP 5x3 185
Sq 6x2 355 b+w
Incline BP 4x4 125
Sq 4x4 325 b+w
GM 5x5 225
Rotator cuff pre-hab 4x10
Dips 4x8 bodyweight

Squat doubles felt ok but not fantastic enough to try triples, however the 325 for sets of 4 went great, so I'm bumping up the working weight for triples to 345 on my next squat workout.

Bench didn't go so well. Tried 195 but that definitely wouldn't go for 3, so I loaded the bar down to 185. On the 3rd reps of the 3rd and 4th set, had to push my right elbow in a bit to keep the weight moving up, which put some extra strain on my shoulder. That was a bit alarming, so decided to play it safe and do incline instead of regular bench for the second BP of the day (which is what you'd normally do on a "Sheiko base" program), and add in rotator cuff exercises to the assistance. Sure enough there was an unusual clicking in my right shoulder.

I am in a bit of a rush to get my working weight for bench up to what it was before the wrist injury (205 for triples), which, given what happened today, I realized is a mistake. At the time I was bulking to fill out the 198, and now I'm cutting, which would explain the lower rate of progress, and also makes me more prone to injury. I'll continue doing what I did today - replace one of the 4x4 benches in the week with a bench assistance exercise (incline bench, shoulder press, or dumbell flyes), which would bring me down to benching 5 times a week, and keep the weight for triples steady at 185.

The good news of the day is my right wrist is almost back to normal. So normal that I decided to try dips, but my shoulders were too sore from the incline BP so I just ended up doing bodyweight. I also moved my grip in for the squats - middle finger on the middle ring of the Ivanko bar. Bar still sits high, but my elbows started getting loaded (they're hurting now). When doing the squat doubles, I had a little trouble keeping my knees out on the way up (or as way out there as they are when I'm coming down, and they're way out there), so for the 4s I decided to try pointing my toes out more, which brought my heels closer together. That did the trick.

Now I have to acknowledge that the idea for narrowing my stance came from a conversation with Aaron Ziffle at Nationals, who has the craziest squatting technique I've ever seen (hopefully someone will put videos on youtube, because I'm sure it will be the craziest technique you'll ever see, too), and now that my stance is so narrow and my toes pointing out so much, I think it's starting to resemble his (although still crappy in comparison), so to give credit where credit is due, I will start calling these "Ziffle squats" from now on. I'd like to see if I can make this work in a squat suit.

----

Now about the program itself, it's basically my adaptation of the program Victor Furazhkin had me on when I trained with him (from start of February to start of April). That program was Monday - squats, Tuesday - DL triples off of 4" board at 65%, Wednesday - DL triples and rack pulls, Friday - squats, Saturday - DL triples. Due to various social happenings (which, yes, I prioritized over training...) I only did two or three of the Saturday workouts, but DLing 3 times a week was still not that bad. That program was a cut-down version of his program from when he was competing, designed by Sergey Ivanov. Before he left, Victor told me to double up the squats, which is fine by me since I like squatting. I don't like the deadlift so much, so that went since I wanted to cut workouts to 3 a week. I'll re-introduce pulls off of a board when I start having trouble with starting speed, which I doubt will be soon. Doubling up the bench on every workout was my own initiative while preparing for Nationals, since bench was going really fantastically well for me, and it only got better.

It's dead simple, the progress is easily quantifiable (if you feel strong, do 6x2, if that feels strong, try a triple, if that feels strong, make it your new 5x3 working weight, rinse, repeat), the weight is enough that you address important things like walkout and set-up for the DL that you don't get to work on with higher reps, but still safe, and most important of all I really like doing it. I'm not ever going back to doing DL for 10s, ever. :)

----

Ok, I'll try to keep the posts shorter from now on.

deeder
04-28-2008, 01:26 AM
Don't start squatting like Ziffle!!!

The way he squats works for him for three reasons:
- He's so damn short
- He's got ridiculously flexible hips + hammies
- He's crazy

I don't know what he gets out of a suit but my guess is not very much. You just can't build up the same tightness in the hips when you squat uber-narrow like that. Look at all the biggest squatters.. No one squats anywhere near that narrow.

That looks like a really intense program you are following. I feel like a wimp reading this log knowing that I'm doing 3 sets of knee wrap work next week that will practically kill me haha

f-rider
04-28-2008, 01:59 AM
Don't start squatting like Ziffle!!!

The way he squats works for him for three reasons:
- He's so damn short
- He's got ridiculously flexible hips + hammies
- He's crazy

I don't know what he gets out of a suit but my guess is not very much. You just can't build up the same tightness in the hips when you squat uber-narrow like that. Look at all the biggest squatters.. No one squats anywhere near that narrow.

Don't worry, I'm not going that narrow. The thing that Aaron made me realize is that I was doing pretty well squatting narrow (just barely shoulder width) with my knees way out and toes pointing forward, way back when. That's actually the reason why Boyd had me buy a v-squatter instead of a regular-stance suit; he thought it would just help me push the knees out. The trouble was it pushed my knees out so much that it also ended up tipping my shoes on the outer edge of their sole. So I actually started squatting wide just because of the suit. I don't like the way my hips feel when I squat wide without a suit, and like I mentioned it is easier to keep upright when squatting narrow. I also used to squat like that with flat-soled shoes (in fact, the ones I still use for deadlifting), so hamstring flexibility isn't a problem. As a matter of fact, I may try going back to squatting in those instead of my weightlifting shoes just to see what happens.

That looks like a really intense program you are following. I feel like a wimp reading this log knowing that I'm doing 3 sets of knee wrap work next week that will practically kill me haha

You get used to it. The 16s, that I don't think you get used to, unless you are the mythical Kenny Fougere. In 3 weeks I plan to switch one of the squat days to 12s (because I'm a wimp) to prep my wrist for going back to narrow-grip, low-bar squats.

deeder
04-28-2008, 06:57 AM
Alright, shoulder width stance squatting like Ziffle I like. I don't know if you saw me squat... But my stance is a little wider than shoulder width, feet pointed out and I push my knees out as hard as I can the whole time. So I guess we're just taking the good things from Aaron.

You get used to it. The 16s, that I don't think you get used to, unless you are the mythical Kenny Fougere. In 3 weeks I plan to switch one of the squat days to 12s (because I'm a wimp) to prep my wrist for going back to narrow-grip, low-bar squats.

So your last workout you did 10 sets in knee wraps right? There's no freaking way I could ever get used to that. I don't think there's even anyway I could survive a workout like that!

Reko
04-28-2008, 07:42 AM
At the time I was bulking to fill out the 198, and now I'm cutting, which would explain the lower rate of progress,

Dude, don't even think like that. Cutting doesn't make you weaker. Your strength is all in the mind. Just stay positive.

f-rider
04-30-2008, 12:26 AM
4/29:
DL 5x3 385
BP 5x3 185
Rack pulls 4x2 455
BP 4x4 175
Rows 5x6
Dips 3x10
Rotator cuff pre-hab 3x10

Rack pulls were really fast, time to add weight there. I watched some videos of Wade Hooper benching (can't link because my post count is still too low - search for them on YouTube, Hooper has an account there and posts his training videos), and noticed that he points his toes out so much that his feet are almost on the same line. Decided to try that tonight - HUGE difference. Much stronger, more consistent leg drive, easier to keep glutes tense (which keeps the butt planted on the bench), way better arch. Misloaded to 175 instead of 165 for the second bench, but decided to stick with it and play around with the new technique - it was mostly touch-and-go, still don't feel as strong.

Dude, don't even think like that. Cutting doesn't make you weaker. Your strength is all in the mind. Just stay positive.

It doesn't make me weaker, but it does make me stop expecting to put 10lb on my working sets every two weeks. But it does make me look better. :)

JWick
04-30-2008, 02:36 AM
i really apologize for asking a question in here but u guys seem to be very into the squatting routine and know a lot about it. i have squatted for years but am curious on a good set/rep count. which seemed to be the most effective for you?

deeder
04-30-2008, 07:15 AM
Nice deadlift day!

f-rider
05-02-2008, 01:23 AM
5/1:
BP 5x3 185
Sq 5x3 345 b+w
BP 4x4 175
Sq 4x4 325 b+w
GM 5x225, 5x225, 4x245, 3x255, 3x255
Rows 3x7
RC pre-hab 3x10
Hyperextensions 4x8 90
Abs 4x6

After reading about the Westside way(s) of doing good mornings, decided to go up and play around with triples. Next workout I'll probably do 5x4 of 245. Did hyperextensions with a 90 pound ez-curl bar in the crook of the elbows (don't like having a bar on my back for HEs because it slides around too much). Roman chair sit-ups with a 25lb plate behind my head for abs. Goal for the assistance work was to hit my lower back.

Weighed myself after workout: 203lb/92.0kg. It looks like I'll lose the bet. On the other hand the cut seems to be working - I'm noticing much better definition, and this workout I moved down a hole in my belt (third smallest on a medium-size single-prong Inzer - I've never managed to get it on that tight before). The problem is that I just substituted all carb-rich foods (grains, pasta, bread) in non-post-workout meals with more meat and vegetables; since I don't keep a food log my guess is I'm consuming the same (if not more) amount of calories. A contributing factor was that 95.9kg weight was creatine-free (I cut it out a week before Nationals to help me make weight), and now I'm chugging that stuff like it is going out of style.

i really apologize for asking a question in here but u guys seem to be very into the squatting routine and know a lot about it. i have squatted for years but am curious on a good set/rep count. which seemed to be the most effective for you?

Haha, don't worry, that's what this place is for. I like doing sets of 3 for reasons described in a previous post. It also seems to be the most effective for building 1RM strength, however it is not easy and there is increased chance of injury because you're always handling large weight (I wouldn't have sprained my wrist if I was squatting with a weight I could do for 8s...). 16s are awesome for building endurance, explosiveness, and leg size (my thighs ballooned after my first cycle of 16s). 6-8 rep range is good for warming up and working on technique (correcting form, changing stance, etc.), but not much else IMO. But the key is tons and tons of volume. I've never heard of anyone squatting big who also doesn't squat a lot.

Follow mine and deeder's journals to find out more. We're both doing proven squat programs, and deeder is a really good squatter who has made a ton of progress since he started competing in the 165. There will be a ton more progress yet to come. :)

deeder
05-02-2008, 01:37 AM
Follow mine and deeder's journals to find out more. We're both doing proven squat programs, and deeder is a really good squatter who has made a ton of progress since he started competing in the 165. There will be a ton more progress yet to come. :)

Haha thanks for the props man!

I still can't believe the amount of work you do in one session! 9 sets in wraps! That would have killed me! I did 5 sets of 5 and my knees felt like they were falling apart.

Have you decided if you'll be doing Westerns? It sounds like there will be lots of people lifting and I think they are trying to book the venue that nationals will be held at next year (I can't remember the name of it :confused: )

Reko
05-02-2008, 07:24 AM
I like doing sets of 1-3 for form with lighter weight and hitting heavy singles for my max work. I also find boxsquatting below parallel (by an inch or two max) superioir in terms of gains compared to anything else. But, that is jsut me, I would try out some different programs every month or so and see how the gains come along. Find out what works for you.

If I am squatting to a low box and want to hit 550, I'll do a progression of something like this:
I start out wearing my briefs since they stretch quite a bit and anre't anything fierce like metal's. They are just frantz that were hand me downs that just happen to fit... loosely.
Bar 2 sets, 8-10 reps
135 x6
245 x 5 (we need to use hundreds thanks to Ben :P)
335 x3-5 depending on how I feel.
445 x2-3 (add belt here... there's those hundreds again)
Then around 500 with belt and wraps. for a single
Go for a max single with belt and wraps.

That is what works for me, and deeder and f-rider do 3's im guessing from their posts, and that is what workds for them. Just experiment, but give it time to show results. Once you find out what works for you, you will be blowing PRs out of the water.

Reko
05-02-2008, 07:27 AM
Forgot to address the form sets...
with fewer reps in the form part, it gives me practice unracking/walking out the weight and working on the set up. I think a lot of lifters overlook that part. Then, you can simulate what you will do in a meet, unrack/walkout, squat, rerack. Plus, my first rep is usually my best so thats the one I want my body to remember.

f-rider
05-05-2008, 01:49 AM
5/4:
BP 5x3 185
Sq 5x3 345 b+w
Pin press 4x2 215
Sq 4x4 325 b+w
GM 5x4 245
RC pre-hab 3x10
Cable pushdown 5x5 60
Hyperextensions 4x5 90
Abductor 3x6
Abs 3x8

Decided to hit triceps today. I think I solved the mystery of my sore shoulders - the wide grip squatting seems to be responsible. I didn't notice this before since I hadn't benched after the wrist sprain. I'll try to work my grip narrow again during the next squat workout.

Still don't know if I'm doing Westerns. Will report when I make a decision.

f-rider
05-06-2008, 11:57 PM
5/6:
DL 5x3 385
BP 6x2 205
DL to knees 5x3 365
BP 4x4 175
Cable pushdowns 3x6 65
Standing cable crunch 3x6 85
Abductors 4x6 130
Cable pullthrough 4x8 145
Abs 4x5
Roman chair 3x5

My lack of ab work the past few months is starting to catch up, so I've decided to hit them (the abs) with a vengeance. I wish the cable stack was bigger, 145 is the most I get for pullthroughs.

deeder
05-07-2008, 12:12 AM
Solid session Vlad!

Do you feel that the 6 sets of 2 that you do for bench press are very light? It seems to me that to be able to do that then 4 sets of 4 with only 30lbs less you must be keeping a lot in the tank.

f-rider
05-07-2008, 12:41 AM
Solid session Vlad!

Thank you!

Do you feel that the 6 sets of 2 that you do for bench press are very light? It seems to me that to be able to do that then 4 sets of 4 with only 30lbs less you must be keeping a lot in the tank.

Haha, no way. The weight difference may be 30lb, but percentage-wise 205 would be 90% and 175 would be 75% of 230, which is probably around where my raw max is right now. It feels to me like I need to work my triceps more.

PS - I put in an order for the APT Convict knee wraps yesterday, they should get here in time for next Sunday's squat session. There's a special offer in the current issue of Powerlifting USA (which the AtLarge guys were nice enough to send me a copy of with my last order, thanks!) where APT will throw in a free pair of 12" wrist wraps and take 15% off the order (I got myself a pair of 12" Convict Pros, should be perfect for training). If you're looking to get yourself a pair of Convicts, it might make sense to use the offer and get it shipped from APT in the States instead of buying from Kain; I'll PM you the details if you're interested.

deeder
05-07-2008, 12:44 AM
Haha actually I got a copy of that magazine too! I need to hold off on purchases for a little while... I get my first paycheck from my summer job on thursday but I'm still pretty broke from nationals.

I don't know what I want to try as far as knee wraps anyway... I'd like something similar to what I'm currently using. Lots of stopping power, some rebound, but not overly stiff.

deeder
05-07-2008, 12:46 AM
Oh, and have I mentioned lately how much I despise windows??

EVERYTHING at my work place is windows. Everything. It's horrible.

f-rider
05-09-2008, 01:38 AM
5/9:
BP 1x3 195, 3x3 205
Sq 5x3 345 b+w
Pin press 4x2 225
Sq 4x4 335 b+w
GM 5x4 245
Dips 4x5 40
Cable pulldowns 4x6 70
Hyperextensions 3x6 90
Rows 3x6
Abs 3x6

Decided to try narrowing my grip to normal position (ring finger on inner ring of Ivanko bar) today. Took a while to stretch my shoulders out, but HOLY WALKOUT BATMAN! I've forgotten how much narrow grip rocked. Time to add more weight :). Still don't have the bar as low as I used to, but once everything gets stretched out it should be back to normal. My right wrist (the one I sprained) did start hurting afterwards, but it's at a manageable level. My suspicion about wider grip putting strain on the shoulders was correct - they felt much better after squatting today than they had before.

One thing I noticed is that since I have to set the rack lower and bend my knees to get under the bar, the knee wraps seem to lose a lot of their stopping power. Before it used to be ridiculously painful to fight them for the last few inches on the first rep, now they let me drop down into the hole.

Bench today was touch-and-go, but felt so strong I decided to jump all the way to 205 for triples. Failed on last rep of last set.

I don't know what I want to try as far as knee wraps anyway... I'd like something similar to what I'm currently using. Lots of stopping power, some rebound, but not overly stiff.

Z-wraps?

f-rider
05-12-2008, 12:48 AM
5/11:
BP 5x3 195
Sq 5x3 355 b+w
Pin press 6x2 225
Sq 4x4 335 b+w
GM 5x5 245
Dips 3x5 45
Rows 3x6
Hypers 3x6 90
Abductors 3x8
Abs 3x10

Decided to do extra sets for pin presses and add an extra rep to GMs. Need to raise weight on both.

f-rider
05-13-2008, 10:46 PM
5/13:
DL 5x3 385
BP 6x2 205
Rack pulls 4x2 475
BP 4x4 185
Pull-throughs 3x10 150
Dips 3x10 45
Rows 3x6
Cable crunches 3x20

Got my shipment from APT today. The 12" Convict Pro wrist wraps are very convenient. I'm going to spend Thursday breaking in the Convict knee wraps.

By the time I was done warmups for the deadlifts my lower back was so sore I couldn't bend down, thought the rack pulls were going to be fun that way, but by the time I was done benching it warmed up all the way to normal. The deadlifts were weird - really accelerated through the middle, which is the only reason I didn't have trouble locking out, but by the third set my back got so stiff I started lowering the bar far away from my shins, and since I have to deadlift with octagonal plates some of the last sets degenerated into almost three singles because I had to move my feet.

Next week I need to start a different cycle, still thinking about what I'm going to do. I want to throw on my v-squatter and do DL doubles with the straps down. For some reason I have a weird craving to start pulling in a suit. Also time to start thinking about upcoming meets I want to do and how to set up training cycles for those.

Read today that Olech finally beat Furazhkin's world-record total. I wonder if Victor knows yet.

f-rider
05-16-2008, 01:21 AM
5/15:
BP 5x3 205
Sq 5x3 355 b+w
Pin press 4x2 235
Sq 4x4 335 b+w
GM 5x4 265
Rows 4x6
Dips 4x5 45
Hypers 4x6 90
Abductors 4x8 140
Abs 4x6

Woohoo! I'm finally back to my pre-injury working weight on the bench.

Tried out the Convict Pros today. As compared to Inzer True Blacks, the Convicts are less ridiculously thick, much easier to roll and wrap, and less stretchy. Even when not stretched out, I get the same amount of turns out of them as I do from z-wraps. They don't tend to "bunch up" (or feel like it anyway) behind the knee in the hole like the True Blacks do. First tried on a loose wrap with 315, which turned into pause squats - got down barely to depth and waited a second to sink down some more, but the wraps wouldn't give at all. Same story all four reps. Once on the way up I definitely felt them though. Seem to hold potential energy really well.

By the last couple of sets of the 4x4 I finally started to stretch them out a bit. They don't seem to offer any resistance coming down, the "stopping power" doesn't really kick in until you start hitting depth, but once it does it does. I started to drop into the hole faster and the rebound is just awesome. Can't wait to try them out with a suit where I can really bounce into the hole.

Conclusion: Convict Pros are a better Z-wrap. Even the colored stripes are about the same thickness and have the same spacing, which is awesome since it makes getting the right amount of overlap easy. I like z-wraps better for raw squatting since they seem to work better with a slow descent, but my opinion may change as the Convicts stretch out. They are nowhere near tight yet.

Took a look at the meet schedule, and decided to pull at the June 14th USPF Venice Beach BP/DL meet. I just want to get that stupid 500 deadlift that has been evading me for so long now. This means I need to max out the DL next week. What's more, I want to try to do it in my v-squatter. Risky, since if I blow it I won't get another chance to go for a max (I really don't want to max out DL 3 weeks or less before a meet). However, at this point I'm so confident of a 500 raw pull I'm willing to go for it. In contrast, I was so worn out when I maxed DL for Nationals that the first time I tried pulling 455 my back gave out and it didn't even crack (this is a big problem I had when pulling conventional, and rarely happens with sumo), the second time my hips came right up and no lock out. So much for trying to max out. When I pulled 446 for my second attempt at Nationals, my left heel slipped out with the bar halfway to my knee (damn you, DL slippers! I didn't know you couldn't use them with socks and sumo) and the bar torqued about 4 inches away from my shin, but I still didn't have any problem pulling it to lockout. On my third attempt both my feet slipped right out even before the bar cracked. So much for that.

Looking at the calendar further, I don't think I want to do another meet between then and the Sept. 13 Venice Beach 3-lift. I guess I won't be going to Westerns. :(

deeder
05-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Looking at the calendar further, I don't think I want to do another meet between then and the Sept. 13 Venice Beach 3-lift. I guess I won't be going to Westerns. :(

Well that sucks!

How come you want to max out on deadlifts before the meet? I would just pull an opener, maybe a second... Keep plenty in the tank. The last thing you want is to miss a lift before a contest and going in without 100% confidence.

f-rider
05-17-2008, 01:25 AM
Didn't have any plans tonight and didn't feel like going out, instead did this:

5/16:
Straight leg sumo DL 5x3 275
Superset 1:
Standing shoulder press 3x8 95 (non-strict)
Bent-over DB raise 3x8 20s
DB raise 3x8 20s
Front raise 3x8 20s
Superset 2:
H-rolls 3x8 10s
RC prehab 3x8
Superset 3:
Bent-over BB row 3x8 115
Straight-arm pullover 3x8 45
Pull-ups 3x4
Bent arm pullover 45

I've been thinking for a while of adding a 4th day to the week, just to hit the shoulders and lats for size. I feel they're disproportionately smaller than they should be. I probably should post some figure photos for critique, but in any case I want bigger shoulders and lats. First time doing barbell rows; now I have a newfound respect for guys with big lats. Threw in some straight-leg sumo deadlifts to get some "real" weight in there, those were just weird.

An update on the bet. I pretty much told my brother I gave up, and he said it's ok and doesn't want his money. Weighed myself today - 203.5lb? (the scale at the gym is ****, I need to buy a good home scale), but my waist is definitely smaller than it has been in a very long time; I'm wearing my dress belts on the same holes I did when I still pretended to be in the 165 class (weighing in regularly at around 180), and even there the belts are pretty loose. If I continue this way it looks like I'll be filling out the 198 with more than just fat.

How come you want to max out on deadlifts before the meet? I would just pull an opener, maybe a second... Keep plenty in the tank. The last thing you want is to miss a lift before a contest and going in without 100% confidence.

Well, the theory with this program is you peak at singles at 95% about a month before the meet when you're tired and your CNS is taxed, so that way you definitely know you should be able to hit those weights in contest. The DL definitely needs to be a month out since that takes forever to recover, bench and squat are ok with less time. I guess it's not really "maxing out" since it's 95% of your projected max, like you said it's more of getting your seconder assured.

f-rider
05-19-2008, 01:29 AM
5/18:
BP 5x3 205
Sq 3x3 355 b+w
BP 4x4 185

Well, it's happened. I had a ****ty workout. May's CRANK Mob was yesterday, and I drank too much, rode too fast, and danced too hard. Woke up at 1pm today. It was totally worth it though, extra fireworks, truck dance party, crashing a prom at the Beverly Hilton, all in addition to the regularly scheduled activities. There was a TV crew from Fox News (?) filming, it looks like they're going to do a segment on us.

Decided to skip assistance work. Legs hadn't recovered, and forearms are completely fried. Need to rest up for Tuesday.

f-rider
05-21-2008, 12:41 AM
5/20:
DL playing around w/suit (Metal V-Squatter) up to 405, put up the straps and decided "screw this"
DL 1x1 405
DL 1x1 455
DL 1x1 495 fail
DL 1x1 495 fail
DL 3x1 405
DL 1x1 495 fail
BP 6x2 215
DL off of 4" boards 1x3 365, 2x3 375
BP 4x4 185
Dips 4x5 45

So I definitely think I should forget about trying to pull in a suit, it just sucks in every way imaginable. Once I got it off I was in for a rude surprise - I couldn't get 495 to crack. Back felt fine, set-up was good, but my groin quit on me - I couldn't even get enough tension there to the point where my hips would come up and I would start to get leverage from my legs to get the bar to leave the floor (ie - my form wouldn't even break down, it just didn't go period). It just bent and stayed there. This is unwelcome news. I guess I shouldn't have assumed that I didn't need to do pulls off of boards.

f-rider
05-23-2008, 02:03 AM
5/22:
BP 5x3 205
Sq 1x3 365, 1x3 385, 4x3 395
Pin press 4x2 240
Sq 4x4 365
Dips 4x5 50
Rows 4x6
Adductors 3x8
Abductors 3x8
Abs 3x10

Put on the v-squatter bottoms for squats today. The stock sizing on that suit is weird. Even at 165, the size 46 suit was uncomfortable, but at 198 the size 48 (next largest stock size) is nice, loose and downright comfy. Didn't get used to the wider stance and faster descent until the last couple of sets on the 4x4. My walkout has definitely improved from all the belt and wrap squatting, even though the weight there was much lighter. I find that kind of paradoxical. The suit sits a little loose, but still seems to stop me ok at the bottom, but I don't get very much rebound out of it this way (even less than a hardcore, but that may just be my perception). It does tend to move around, and to pitch me forward sometimes, something I need to watch out for. Surprisingly my wrists felt better than ever, even with the heavier weight. I continue to feel that the bar is not sitting low enough on my back, but looking at the red imprint on my shoulder blades in the mirror after the workout, it seems to lie about an inch above the top of my armpits, which isn't bad.

Decided to go easy on the back, there was still some sharp pain on the left side of the lower back from Tuesday's DL work. Also think I need to drop the abductors for a while. Don't have any trouble keeping my knees out, but I do feel them putting strain on my left hip. Had some pain there recently, but it hasn't affected anything, yet.

f-rider
05-26-2008, 01:53 AM
5/25:
BP 5x3 210
BBSq 5x3 265
RBBP 4x2 265
Sq 4x4 340 b+w
GM 3x3 265
Dips 4x5 50
Rows 4x6
Abs 3x10

BBSq = Banded Box Squats
RBBP = Reverse-Band Bench Press

Did both with red bands (the Flex-band knock-offs). Box squats were without belt or wraps, that hit my back pretty hard, in a good way. Widened out the stance on the 4x4 squats, not as wide as my suited stance, but the effect was still pretty big; in hindsight, should have added more weight. Really felt it in the triceps today too. Adding in bands was definitely a good idea.

deeder
05-26-2008, 08:04 AM
Nice couple of workouts! Too bad about the deadlifts though... Have you taken that weight before or would that have been a PR?

f-rider
05-28-2008, 12:44 AM
5/27:
DL off of 4" board 5x3 365
BP 5x3 210
Rack pull 4x1 495, 90 sec. pause between sets
BP 4x4 195
Dips 4x5 52.5
Rows 4x6
Abs 3x10

Nice couple of workouts! Too bad about the deadlifts though... Have you taken that weight before or would that have been a PR?

PR

nhlfan
05-28-2008, 04:31 PM
nice pulling yesterday man. what weight class do you compete in?

f-rider
05-30-2008, 01:47 AM
5/29:
BP 6x2 225
Sq 5x3 405
Pin press 4x2 245
Sq 4x4 375
GM 5x5 255

Definitely felt the bench in the chest, between that and the squats decided to not do assistance work today. Squats going really well - got the stance as wide as I want, getting to a somewhat consistent 2-step walkout, wrists feel great. Need to work on technique, slow down my descent and sit back more. On some of the first reps I'm coming up on my toes as I come up because I haven't sat back enough, but on most of the sets, during the last rep I come down too fast as I'm sitting back and end up in a full squat. It's a good thing the v-squatter is bouncy because otherwise I wouldn't make it back up.

nice pulling yesterday man. what weight class do you compete in?

Thanks! I've been in the 90kg class since mid-February (before that I pretended to be a 75kg lifter but really was 82.5 for a while). I decided I should probably creep up to 100kg for September. I've been holding at a steady 203 pounds bodyweight for the past two months, so that's going to take some diet adjustment. Hooray for baked goods!

f-rider
06-01-2008, 12:43 AM
5/31:
Superset 1:
Sitting shoulder press 3x6 85
Bent-over DB raise 3x8 20s
DB raise 3x8 20s
Front raise 3x8 20s
Superset 2:
H-rolls 3x8 10s
RC prehab 3x8
Superset 3:
Bent-over BB row 3x6 115
Straight-arm pullover 3x8 50
Pull-ups 3x4
Bent arm pullover 50
Superset 4:
Rows 3x6
Dips 3x5 50

Another of those "I had nothing better to do" workouts. Went and tortured my legs with a foam roller and tennis ball afterwards.

deeder
06-01-2008, 01:25 AM
You could be a bodybuilder with that workout! Good stuff Vlad! When is the pull contest again?

f-rider
06-02-2008, 01:25 AM
6/1:
BP 5x3 215
Sq 5x3 405
RBBP 4x2 270
BBSq 5x3 275

So after failing to pull that 495 I decided to order an Inzer Hardcore squat suit since I know I can pull in that, and it just might give me the hip and groin support I need. It arrived recently, so I decided to break it in today. I previously wore a size 32 Hardcore, which apparently was really stretched out, as Inzer recommends a size 34 for my weight. I ordered a 33. I forgot how much fun it was to put on tight gear. I don't have skin on my knuckles any more, and the blisters on my fingers are making it ticklish to type. I took it slow warming up on the squats, so there was like 4 or 5 extra sets at >3 plates while I wriggled around getting the suit to settle. I definitely like squatting in Metal more. Decided not to do assistance work - did the upper body stuff yesterday, and the beltless banded-box squats are really hitting my lower back and abs in all the right ways.

You could be a bodybuilder with that workout! Good stuff Vlad! When is the pull contest again?

The Saturday two weeks from now. I expect a good time; there should be some cool people in attendance.

f-rider
06-04-2008, 02:25 AM
6/3:
DL 4x2 405 straps up
BP 5x3 215
Dips 3x5 52.5
Rows 3x5
BP 4x4 195
Abs 3x10

Tried the HC for sumo today, unfortunately the same story as usual: messes with the back set-up too much. It's a lot more manageable than the v-squatter, but I don't want to risk it in a meet. Maybe if I ordered a larger size it wouldn't be such a big deal, but then I'd probably not be getting very much pop off the floor or hip support at all. I really need to stop wasting time trying to get DL suits to work.

deeder
06-04-2008, 11:54 AM
How high do you wear the legs? The tighter the suit the higher I have to wear them.

f-rider
06-06-2008, 02:06 AM
6/5:
BP 3x3 215, 2x2 215
Sq 6x2 405
Pin press 2x1 245, 4x2 225
Sq 4x4 365

Have some sort of cold, crappy sore throat when I woke up this morning, but not really any other symptoms aside from that, besides the apparent weakness. Almost threw up after walking out the 405 for the first set. I started to feel alright by the 4x4 squats, but still decided to go light and skip assistance work.

How high do you wear the legs? The tighter the suit the higher I have to wear them.

As high as I had the patience to get them up, which probably wasn't high enough. That suit was too tight in the hips, and particularly where my quads start, lately that part has been sticking out a lot. My left one actually got cut a little. The suit is now on its way to my brother, I haven't stretched it out all that much so it will probably be a good fit for him. It really made me appreciate how comfortable and easy to put on my v-squatter is!

f-rider
06-08-2008, 10:04 PM
6/8:
BP 1x2 215, 1x2 225, 1x1 225, 3x1 230
DL 6x1 315, 1min. between singles
BP 4x4 185
Rows 3x6
Dips 3x5 55
Abs 3x10

Cold still here, now with more nausea. Also, I think I had a sugar crash from putting too much RESULTS (I think you're supposed to yell it) in my workout drink, that stuff has way too much dextrose. I think I'll buy some plain creatine and to use alongside half a serving of the former. Next workout is going to be bench-only, then the Venice Beach meet on Saturday.

f-rider
06-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Oh yeah, I should add that I weighed in at 200 pounds post-workout. Much suck. =(

f-rider
06-10-2008, 11:49 PM
6/10:
BP 1x2 215, 1x2 225, 4x2 215
Rows 3x6
Dips 3x5 55
RC prehab 3x10
Pullups 3x5
Rear/side/front raises 3x8
H-rolls
BP 4x4 185

Today the cold was worse than ever, did a morning meeting at work and went right back home to spend the day in bed until the workout. I started (trying to) hyperhydrate yesterday to make weight for Saturday's meet (it's USPF, so there's a weigh-in the evening of the day before the meet, should be a cakewalk), but obviously having trouble with water retention. In order to combat this, threw in an extra 5 cinnamon rolls today, ~1250 sugary carby calories. Weighed in at 201.5 post-workout. I'm about to have the sixth one right now. :)

deeder
06-11-2008, 12:01 AM
Good workout for being sick Vlad! What weight class are you trying to make?

f-rider
06-17-2008, 11:14 PM
6/17:
BP 5x6 165
Bent-over/side/front raises 3x6 25
H-rolls 3x8
Pin Press 6x2 235
Dips 3x5 52.5
Cable rows 3x6 140
GM 2x5 225, 1x4 245, 1x3 265
Abs 3x8

Played around with setting up for arching today, trying some tips from this Metal Militia article:

http://www.metalmilitia.net/index_files/Page392.htm

Results from Saturday's meet:

http://www.powerliftingca.com/2008%20Muscle%20Beach%20BP,%20DL.pdf

I went open since they didn't know if there were going to be any other juniors in the 198lb/90kg weight class when I weighed in Friday evening, and ended up placing 4th out of 5. I opened at 192.5kg, pulled 207.5kg for my second attempt, and missed 217.5kg for my third. Same problem - felt like I could not build enough tension in my groin/inner thighs to crack the bar off the floor. I think the solution is to narrow down my stance (I pulled with my toes out almost touching the plates). It would have been worth it to go as a junior - as it turned out, there were two other 90kg junior lifters, and I would have taken first place with a 2kg(!) lead. Which brings me to my next point: there were enough lifters that the deadlift was broken up into four flights of about 8 lifters each, but lifters in the same category/weight class were for some reason placed in different flights. I and at least one other 90kg open lifter were in the first flight, while one of the other guys was all the way in the 4th flight. That kind of removed the strategy aspect of choosing your numbers, but maybe I'm being too competitive? :)

A friend of mine was there and taped my lifts; maybe I'll post the video.

deeder
06-17-2008, 11:47 PM
Post your vids! I wanna critique your lifts! With those tree trunk legs you should be pulling more than me!

f-rider
06-23-2008, 12:41 AM
6/21:
BP 6x4 195
Bent-over/side/front raises 3x8 20
RC prehab
Seated shoulder press 4x5 95
BB rows 3x5 135

6/22:
Sq 5x5 315 b+w

I've had a cold since Thursday before last (6/5), which died down and became just an annoyance since last Friday. This Thursday I got hit with the worst fever I've had since I had walking pneumonia five years ago. Slept that off and thought it was the final culmination of the cold and it's over. Fat chance. Saturday I got something resembling stomach flu; my stomach settled down for a bit during the day and I ate a tub of ice cream (not my normal diet but I hadn't eaten anything in the past two days and needed the calories!), which helped, so I thought I was fine and went to the gym to do some light benching. Came back, drank a bunch of water, and it started again. :( I finally felt better today though. However, my post-workout weight today was 199lb; it was 206 on Tuesday.

Another thing that happened is that summer seems to have finally arrived in LA. It is damn hot. Too hot to have an appetite. I think all of this put together (plus me wanting to have a better defined figure for the ladies at the beach to appreciate :)) is a sign from God that I need to stay in the 90kg class for now. 100 will have to wait just a bit more!

I'm going to upload the vid of my second attempt (looks like my friend didn't tape the opener? and the third attempt didn't really leave the platform) on Facebook tomorrow.

f-rider
06-25-2008, 01:08 AM
6/24:
DL 6x3 365
BP 6x2 215
Rack pull 4x2 475
BP 4x4 195
Dips 3x5 52.5
Machine rows 3x6

Still no appetite for solid food. Have to make do with shakes and yogurt. My legs have shrunk dramatically, people are noticing! Didn't weight myself after this workout.

f-rider
06-27-2008, 05:25 AM
6/26:
BP 5x3 205
Sq 4x2 405

Do you ever notice how bad things tend to come one after the other? So the good news is I started eating solid food again yesterday. Bad news is that as I was coming up on my second rep of 4th set of squats there was a very loud snapping noise and disconcertingly simultaneous sudden jerk inside my right forearm. I racked the bar without further incident and went to the ER. It turns out my radius bone snapped in two. More good news again: it looks like this is a recent repeating fracture. This solves the mystery of my "wrist sprain" from March. It also means I lifted with a broken forearm at Nationals - sweet!

More bad news: this training log will mostly consist of leg machine exercises for the next month and a half.

deeder
06-28-2008, 10:05 AM
6/26:
BP 5x3 205
Sq 4x2 405

Do you ever notice how bad things tend to come one after the other? So the good news is I started eating solid food again yesterday. Bad news is that as I was coming up on my second rep of 4th set of squats there was a very loud snapping noise and disconcertingly simultaneous sudden jerk inside my right forearm. I racked the bar without further incident and went to the ER. It turns out my radius bone snapped in two. More good news again: it looks like this is a recent repeating fracture. This solves the mystery of my "wrist sprain" from March. It also means I lifted with a broken forearm at Nationals - sweet!

More bad news: this training log will mostly consist of leg machine exercises for the next month and a half.

Holy ****! That's crazy man!

Glad you didn't fall on your face or anything though. Get better and get back at it soon Vlad!

f-rider
07-02-2008, 01:06 PM
6/29 and 7/2:
Leg press 5x6
Another leg press machine 3x6
Calf-raise 3x8
Hamstring curl machine 3x6
Quad extension machine 3x8
Side-raise machine 3x8
Pullover machine 4x8

I've been walking everywhere to get some cardio in since now my workouts don't burn that much energy anymore. I've also reduced the amount of food I'm eating by about a third. I haven't weighed myself since the accident, but I'm starting to notice a reduction in body fat. If I can keep meal timing and macronutrient ratios on track and stay away from the beer (all things I'm currently not doing very well) this may end up being a nice cut. Hopefully I'll get some improved volume and separation in my legs from all of the higher-rep isolation exercises I'm doing now.

f-rider
07-11-2008, 02:04 AM
All that stuff I said about drinking less beer sort of didn't happen.

7/3:
Recovering from previous night's drinking (work that day was not fun)

7/6:
Drinking

7/8:
Leg press 5x4
Another leg press machine 3x6
Calf-raise 3x8
Hamstring curl machine 3x6
Quad extension machine 3x8
Side-raise machine 3x8
Pullover machine 4x8

7/10:
Leg press 3x5
Sq 5x16 225 belt only
Quad extensions 3x8
Hamstring curls 3x6
Side-raise machine 3x8
Pullover machine 3x8

Today I went to train with a friend who's starting a PLing program I put together for him (basically the same program as I was planning on starting after the Muscle Beach meet) to check up on his squat technique (which was really good btw). Since my forearm is doing great I decided to try doing some squats. Well, I put 16s on his program (he wants to gain a lot of weight and fill out his legs) and that looked like so much fun I decided to do it. High-bar, hands out, narrow (less than shoulder width) stance, knees out all the way, ass to the grass to get some bounce out of the hole. FUN!

f-rider
07-14-2008, 12:53 PM
7/13:
DL 1x3 365
Leg press 5x5
Side raises

Short workout on Sunday, didn't expect to go at all since I was fried from continuous partying since Friday night (how is that for dedication to training?) but a couple of my buddies were going so I joined them. Tried doing some deadlifts - hook grip since I can't turn my right forearm to face the palm all the way out yet. I've only done hook grip three times before, but this workout it felt really solid and it wasn't all that uncomfortable. However after doing only one triple at 365 the bone must have started pulling apart as it really hurt afterward. I'm finally going to see an orthopaedic specialist (my physician's office really ****ed up giving me a referral) in an hour, I will try to get them to not put on a cast, but if they do hopefully I can still squat with it.

deeder
07-14-2008, 03:56 PM
Lol training looks like **** man :p

Get that arm healed up so you can get back at it.

f-rider
07-18-2008, 01:14 AM
7/15:
Guess what I did instead of going to the gym?

7/17:
Sq 5x3 315 belt only
GM 5x5 245
Standing overhead press 5x6 95
Sq 5x6 245 (full squat, raw)
Bent-over/side/front seated raises 3x8
Pullover machine 3x8
Abs 3x8

So I got a forearm cast, it's not that annoying, yet. My arm doesn't bend all the way though, so some exercises that I wanted to do (various curls and extensions) I don't have enough range to really do well. Tried doing barbell rows (snatch grip, that way the cast doesn't get in the way) but at 135 the forearm started hurting.

This raw squatting thing is really annoying, I wish I could at least wear knee wraps. Maybe I should get some of those Inzer knee sleeves made from the wrap material? By the time they arrive I'll probably have the cast off (Aug. 7).

f-rider
07-22-2008, 10:36 AM
7/21:
Sq 5x3 315 belt-only
GM 5x4 225
Abs 3x10

Decided to go to the gym Monday (didn't go Sunday and won't go today). My quads are fried from too much bike riding, so the squats quickly degenerated into good mornings. I didn't do a second set of squats because my calves started cramping and my hamstrings felt like they were about to do the same. I hurt something in my right shoulder when trying to do overhead presses so I didn't do those or dumbell raises.

f-rider
07-25-2008, 05:30 PM
7/24:
Sq 5x3 315 belt-only
GM 5x5 225
Sq 1x8 225, 3x8 245
Abs 3x10

Tried doing dumbbell raises, right shoulder is fine now but I have pretty bad pain in my left elbow from riding. Can't wait for the cast to come off, I want to bench so bad.

f-rider
07-28-2008, 12:09 AM
7/27:
Sq 6x3 315
GM 5x5 225
Abs 3x10

I've been having upper back pains recently, and on Friday night my new friend Ryan was doing spinal re-alignment as a party trick. The guy is a former gymnast and apparently talented chiropractor, as he could identify problems in people's backs and necks from a casual look at them standing or sitting down. He pinpointed two vertebrae that were out of alignment in my upper back and pressed them back into place. The back is definitely better in terms of handling weight, but whatever I was doing wrong I am doing again because it hurts.

f-rider
08-01-2008, 03:22 PM
7/29:
Sq 6x3 315 belt-only
Abs 3x10

7/31:
Sleeping

I probably shouldn't have squatted on Sunday after the back readjustment. Monday morning I could barely stand up because of the pain (lying down didn't hurt). On Tuesday the back felt better, but squatting still hurt, I didn't want to risk doing GMs. I didn't get any sleep Wednesday night and worked until 8:30 yesterday, so I thought I'd catch a few hours of sleep and go to the gym late (I go to 24 Hour Fitness in Santa Monica, yes, it really is open 24 hours! I love it), but instead I slept in until 11:00 in the morning.

The cast comes off next Thursday. I need to get my sleep, diet, and supplement schedule into shape to prepare for the return to normal workouts. I'm also going to shift the schedule around to having workouts on Mondays and Wednesdays instead of Tuesdays and Thursdays. I don't know what I'll do with the third workout yet, since I want to have Friday evenings open.

f-rider
08-04-2008, 04:36 PM
8/2:
Sq 4x3, 2x4 315 belt only
GM 5x5 225

I want to switch up my schedule and was itching to squat so went in Saturday afternoon, and despite Friday's drinking and riding it was really awesome. The back feels fine. I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of the raw squatting thing, and my flexibility has really improved. This workout I used the same wide stance doing raw squats as equipped, but I did full squats (all the way down until my hamstrings touched my calves). No soreness in the hips or anything. Instead of going up in weight I decided to add extra reps for the last few sets. The cast is going off on Thursday, so I have two more workouts to go - one today (Monday) and one Wednesday. I'll switch to 6x4 at 315 for them.

f-rider
08-07-2008, 01:33 PM
8/4:
Went to bed as soon as I got off work and slept for 14 hours straight.

8/6:
Sq 6x4 315 belt only
GM 5x5 225
Bent-over/side/front raises 3x10
Abs 3x10

Cast is coming off today. Something is funky with the sole of my left VS Athletics weightlifting shoe, coming down doesn't feel right and I sometimes have to wiggle my foot inbetween reps to get it feeling stable. Both Wichita Falls Weightlifting and Werksan were out of the 2007 red suede Do-Win weightlifting shoes in my size, so I ordered a pair of white-and-red Werksan shoes. I'm going to keep the VS shoes as my bench shoes, the heel on them is awesomely tall. While my new shoes are being shipped over, I'm going to catch up on benching and deadlifting. Also going to throw in some higher-rep gun work and loads more calories to take care of the atrophying in my arms and chest.

f-rider
08-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Spent last weekend drinking hard, then I prompty realized that my next meet is coming up on 9/13 and I better do a pre-meet cycle.

8/13:
DL up to 455 single. Slowest DL I've done since switching to sumo. Couldn't pull 475 off the floor.
Tried benching, getting really bad shakes, pinned by 225.

8/14:
BP 5x8 135
Bent-over/side/front raises 3x8
BB rows 3x5 155
Shoulder press 3x5 95
DB curls 3x10
Cable rows 3x10
BB curls palms-out 3x10
Inclide BP 3x5

8/16:
DL off of boards 4x3 365

f-rider
08-20-2008, 08:29 PM
8/18:
Sq 6x3 365
Side/front raises 3x15
DB curls 3x15
BP 4x3 185
Sq 2x3 365

At this point I cut my workout short because I started falling asleep. Need more caffeine!

First squat session after getting the cast off, decided to throw on bottoms and wraps. Feeling all the gear stopping me on the first set was weird, I just felt like relaxing and letting the gear do all the work, bad idea as of course I really had to muscle it up afterwards. By the end I got back into the groove and had the bar popping at the top. Did this workout with a couple of friends (one of whom is going to do the Sept 13 USPF meet alongside me - I get to play coach!), and it took a really long time while I helped them with their squats. The friend that's competing wanted to try on a shirt, so I gave him my size 44 RageX to try. He's 145lb so he didn't exactly fill it out, but that shirt has a tiny chest panel (kind of tight even for him) so he still got a little pop off the bottom. Looks like he's going to press 220-230 pounds at the meet. Too bad he can't afford a shirt (student and saving up for a car), because his bench technique is really good and he would get a lot out of one.

f-rider
08-21-2008, 03:21 PM
8/20:
DL off of boards 5x3 365
BP 6x3 195
BB rows 3x5 155
Standing shoulder press 3x5 95
Forearm curls 3x10
Bent-over/side/front raises 3x8
Incline BP 4x4 115

f-rider
08-26-2008, 01:10 AM
8/21:
DL 6x2 405
Pin press 2x1 205, 1x1 215, pinned by 225
GM 5x5 225
Machine rows 3x6
Crazy bicep superset

The friend who's competing, mentioned in the previous post, showed me his BB-style bicep routine. My biceps were really, really sore the next day.

8/23:
Sq 6x3 385

A friend wanted to go to the beach, I wanted to squat, so I ended up doing the above "workout" at Muscle Beach Venice. They doubled the daily fee to $10 now. They do have some newer Ivanko bars though. I had a nice little audience (anything above three plates seems to amaze most people).

8/25:
DL 6x3 365
Pin Press 4x2 225
DL off of boards 4x3 315
BP 5x3 185

Did everything ass-backwards this workout, then got really sleepy. No caffeine pills. :(

f-rider
08-28-2008, 03:21 AM
8/27:
BP 5x2 205
BB rows 3x5 155
BP 4x4 175
Machine rows 3x6

Got in to the gym at 11pm due to some stuff going on, decided to do bench only. Will squat tomorrow.

Having a huge problem with uneven extension - my right arm (the one that broke) was lagging the left by a good 4-5 inches at lockout.

f-rider
08-29-2008, 03:08 AM
8/28:
Sq 3x2 405
BP 4x2 205
Side/front raises 3x15
Pin press 4x1 225
Sq 3x2 405
GM 3x5 245
Incline BP 4x4 135
Incline BP on a smith machine

Split up the squat session so my friend and I could bench together in the rack. I'm not used to squatting this kind of weight high-bar, it's causing my upper back to round. This will go away once I get used to it, plus within the next couple of months I'll start moving my elbows in (forward) and handling more of the weight with my arms, which should also help.

f-rider
09-04-2008, 05:03 PM
9/3:
DL 4x4 365
BP 6x2 205
BB Rows 3x5 155
Standing shoulder press 3x3 125

Quick workout, tapering it down for the 13th.

f-rider
09-08-2008, 03:58 PM
9/4:
Sq 4x3 365 belt and wraps
BP 4x2 215

Did a quick one-hour workout before taking some visiting colleagues from Holland clubbing. Forgot my squat suit so decided to go ahead belt and wraps only. Friday went out clubbing again, then went to San Francisco for the weekend; it would have been good to get one more workout in. My weight is around 204 now, so the weight-cutting should be the same as for the last USPF meet in June. I'm going to shoot for 500-260-470. The only concern is the fact that I haven't gotten into full gear (straps up squat suit and bench shirt) since CPU Nationals in April, however my gear is the same as I've used for a while (Metal V-Squatter and Inzer Rage-X bench shirt) so I don't expect any surprises.

f-rider
09-10-2008, 06:12 PM
9/9:
Sq 3x3 315 b+w
BP 3x1 205
BB rows 3x5 165

Last pre-meet workout, just a quick form check. Bench was really fast, can't wait to start pressing heavier weights again after the meet.

f-rider
09-16-2008, 12:46 AM
9/15:
BP 3x1 225
Dips 3x5 55
BB rows 3x5 175

My right bicep started hurting pretty bad after bench warmup. I probably pulled it a little on my last deadlift at the Venice Beach meet (see http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=115374 for my impressions, did 225-120-207.5 and went 8 for 9, locked out 215 on my third pull but got called on downward because the bar tilted because I didn't set up my grip evenly).

f-rider
09-17-2008, 01:22 AM
9/16:
DL 5x3 405
BP 4x4 185
BB rows 3x5 175
Machine rows 3x8

Right arm still hurts, this time shoulder and tricep at the elbow.

f-rider
09-18-2008, 11:34 AM
9/17:
BP 5x3 205
Sq 5x3 365 b+w
BP 4x4 185
GM 3x5 265

Forgot my squat suit so decided to squat wide with wraps. My hips are a bit sore from this right now. Right arm felt fine, bench was fast.

f-rider
09-20-2008, 06:25 PM
9/20:
DL off of 4" platform 4x3 375
BP 5x3 215
Reverse band DL 4x2 545
Reverse band BP 5x3 265
DB rows 3x6 90
Dips 3x5 50
Incline BP 4x4 135
Machine rows 3x6

Used blue bands (120lb off the bottom) for the RBDL. I'm going to do them instead of rack pulls for the next while. Went up too much in weight on them - I only managed to lock out a second rep on one of the four sets, need some work on hip drive at the very top. Red bands for the RBBP, didn't measure them but it feels like they take about 60-70lb off the chest.

f-rider
09-23-2008, 03:45 PM
9/22:

Saturday's workout was too epic for me. Went to do some BP on Tuesday but my pecs were burning by the time I finished warming up, did a triple for 205 and that felt heavy, did a double for 205 and that felt heavy, tried to do another double and got pinned. I also pulled a muscle in my right-lower back during the last set of DLs from boards on Saturday (in hindsight jumping right into them with that much weight a week after maxing out during a meet was a really stupid idea), neither GMs nor rows felt like a good idea (by this point I had definitely written off squats), so instead I went to my friend's place who is studying to be a masseuse and had her work on my back while her roommate made me dinner. :burger:

At this point it feels like my back should be fine by Thursday.

f-rider
09-26-2008, 03:01 PM
9/25:
Sq 6x2 405
BP 6x4 185
BB Rows 4x4 185
Dips 3x5 40

The back felt good, the sprain is almost healed. Cut this workout short because I kept wanting to fall asleep - had insomnia and didn't fall asleep until 5 in the morning, got up at 10, worked until 8:30. I'm surprised I had enough energy to go to the gym at all. Must be all the extra calories I'm consuming. I'm up to 207 pounds, looks like most of it is going into fat on my thighs. If you know me you know I have large thighs, but they're getting even bigger now. Walking is getting to be kind of annoying, and I actually need to work to put on and take off my squat suit. My hope for going up to 220 is that something will stick to the upper body.

f-rider
09-30-2008, 02:27 PM
9/27:
DL off of 4" boards 6x2 375
BP 5x3 205
RBDL 4x2 525
RBBP 4x2 265

Took the RBDL down 20 pounds from last week's workout and didn't have any trouble locking out, actually felt kind of easy. Will go back up to 545 this Saturday and see what happens.

f-rider
10-01-2008, 05:49 PM
9/30:
Sq 6x2 385 b+w
BP 6x2 215
GM 4x4 275
BB Rows 4x4 195
Incline BP 4x4 145

I really don't want to bother with a suit right now, so I'm just going to do belt and wrap squats until my legs start leaning up again (but this will be a few months after I hit 220) or I decide to get a new, larger-size squat suit.

f-rider
10-03-2008, 12:44 AM
10/2:
DL 5x3 415
BP 5x3 205
GM 4x4 275
BB rows 4x4 205
Incline BP 4x4 145

f-rider
10-06-2008, 05:19 PM
10/5:
DL off of 4" board 5x3 375
BP 5x3 215
RBDL 4x2 545
BB rows 4x4 205
Incline BP 4x4 150
Dips 4x4 65

Lockout on the reverse-band deadlift is really starting to come along, will up the weight by 10 pounds next weekend.

f-rider
10-08-2008, 03:03 PM
10/7:
Sq 5x3 375 b+w
Rows 6x4 205
BP 3x2, 3x1 225
GM 4x4 275
Incline BP 2x4, 2x3 155
Dips 4x4 65

Benching didn't go that well today. For belt and wrap squats I'm using a stance a little narrower than with a suit and not pushing my knees out as far. The former keeps the hips from getting too sore (although I still really feel it right afterwards when setting up for bench), and the latter lets me plow through the sticking point better than if I would have my knees all the way out.

f-rider
10-10-2008, 02:29 AM
10/9:
DL 5x3 415
BP 5x3 215
GM 4x4 275
BB Rows 4x4 205
Incline BP 5x3 155
Dips 4x4 65

Deadlift was pretty easy but I decided not to up the weight because my lower back was very sore from getting bent over too much on the squats on Tuesday. Will increase to 425 next week. My efforts at eating a lot this week have paid off as I am up to 213 pounds from 208 this past Sunday. Walking is getting more annoying, now I have to walk with my feet way apart all the time and my junk keeps rubbing the wrong way. :(

f-rider
10-14-2008, 02:20 PM
10/13:
DL off of 4" platform 4x3 375
BP 5x3 220
Incline BP 5x3 160

Spent all weekend partying, still did not recover on Monday, kept wanting to fall asleep. Cut the workout short because I was already starting to slip in form on the pulls from a platform, lower back was getting fried. Decided against even doing good mornings instead of reverse-band deadlift as planned.