PDA

View Full Version : Board press w/o spotter?

OGROK
04-27-2008, 02:01 AM
Is there any way to do a board press without a spotter? Could I like, tie the boards to my chest with a chain or something? I don't want to have to drag two people over to spot me every time I do board presses.

nhlfan
04-27-2008, 03:11 AM
Tuck the boards under your shirt (assuming it's baggy enough. 5 boards might get tricky).

Alternatively, you could probably use a bench belt to strap them to you.

jtteg_x
04-27-2008, 03:47 AM
when i lifted by myself, i purposely had the main board (lower/first one) longer than the others so i can tuck it inside the front of my belt when pressing.

Rusty
04-27-2008, 05:51 AM
I screwed 2 eye-hooks in the sides of my boards so I can bungee cord them to my chest.

dbcb314
04-27-2008, 06:16 AM
I use a band to hold my boards on. If you are worried about dieing, do it in a power rack.

Xellarz
04-27-2008, 02:09 PM
All of these methods work really well for securing the boards.
The handoff without a spotter is where I don't know what to tell you...but if you think of something, tell me!

Detard
04-27-2008, 02:51 PM
All of these methods work really well for securing the boards.
The handoff without a spotter is where I don't know what to tell you...but if you think of something, tell me!

Learn to bench without a spotter. It's not rocket science

Home Gym Rat
04-27-2008, 07:16 PM
I recently started with board presses too. If you don't like the feel of a baggy shirt and stuffing the boards under it try using heavy duty velcro. I got some from Home Depot. It's about 2 inches wide, comes in rolls and can be fastened to a board and will stick to the inside of a sweatshirt as long as it is turned inside out.
As far as lifting without a spotter.........well, if you are using poundages beyond your limits (board presses) then i'd get a powerrack.
My bench has spotter bars built into it. Lord knows i needed them a few times already.

Xellarz
04-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Is it even healthy on your shoulders/rotator cuff to take a big weight out of the racks without a handoff?

Reko
04-28-2008, 11:21 AM
Learn to bench without a spotter. It's not rocket science

Unracking weight for a high board without a spotter is!!!

dbcb314
04-28-2008, 12:34 PM
unracking the weight is the worst part of boards... pain in the ass and throws off my tightness