PDA

View Full Version : How to build strength off the bottom

Keith
04-27-2008, 06:22 PM
I've noticed that my weakness on the bench and deadlift is at the bottom. How would I go about strengthening this portion of the lift?

I realize that if your weakness is at the top, this is where bands, chains, boards, lockouts, etc. would come into play. But I'm having an issue at the bottom with these two lifts.

Thanks in advance.

Travis Bell
04-27-2008, 06:28 PM
floor press and cambered bar off the chest for bench

pulling while standing on blocks and speed pulls for the deadlift

bigbadwolfe
04-27-2008, 06:50 PM
I would suggest Cambered bar off a 1 or 2 board depending on the camber in the bar. You will still go deeper then the chest but not the whole depth of the camber.

Rusty
04-27-2008, 06:58 PM
Deadlift:

DL against bands (teaches you to explode off the floor)
Pulls off a platform
GM's
Stronger legs
Squat/DL suit
Food

Bench:

Paused bench
DB press
Cambered bar bench
Paused bench against bands (again, teaches you to explode so you can beat the bands)
Bench shirt
Food

Dirty Martinez
04-27-2008, 07:00 PM
For the bench I would suggest getting a bigger belly! Then just rely on your lockout.

Hola Senior Wolfe and Bell.

Detard
04-27-2008, 07:01 PM
My slow point used to be off the floor so I hit platform deads, sumo/conv, with and without bands for about 3 months exclusively and it brought my bar speed off the floor way up. Dead presses worked for me for bench, although they are hard on the shoulders so beware.

nhlfan
04-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Pause all of your presses and work on your single arm DB and barbell rowing.

Try some heavy bottom position zerchers, and pulling from a defecit

Bergs
04-27-2008, 07:10 PM
I think adding speed work really helped the bottom portion of my bench. Hard to pinpoint, though, really...

Travis Bell
04-27-2008, 07:37 PM
For the bench I would suggest getting a bigger belly! Then just rely on your lockout.

Hola Senior Wolfe and Bell.

haha hey John!

Keith
04-27-2008, 08:22 PM
floor press and cambered bar off the chest for bench

pulling while standing on blocks and speed pulls for the deadlift

I would suggest Cambered bar off a 1 or 2 board depending on the camber in the bar. You will still go deeper then the chest but not the whole depth of the camber.

I'll look into the cambered bar. Thanks, guys.

Deadlift:

DL against bands (teaches you to explode off the floor)
Pulls off a platform
GM's
Stronger legs
Squat/DL suit
Food

Bench:

Paused bench
DB press
Cambered bar bench
Paused bench against bands (again, teaches you to explode so you can beat the bands)
Bench shirt
Food

That was really helpful. Except for the food part. But I knew your smart ass had to throw something like that in there somewhere.

Reko
04-27-2008, 10:14 PM
I dont have any of your videos but if you are lowing the bar real slow on the bench, bringing it down a little faster might help get more of a stretch reflex. Also make sure you are keeping your back completely tight to give yourself a solid base to push off of.
Again haven't seen the videos so they might be moot suggestions, but they haven't been mentioned yet so i'll just throw them out there.

drew
04-28-2008, 05:59 AM
Speed work (with or without bands) and stronger lats.

Keith
04-28-2008, 11:42 AM
I dont have any of your videos but if you are lowing the bar real slow on the bench, bringing it down a little faster might help get more of a stretch reflex. Also make sure you are keeping your back completely tight to give yourself a solid base to push off of.
Again haven't seen the videos so they might be moot suggestions, but they haven't been mentioned yet so i'll just throw them out there.

I do both. I bring the bar down with as much speed as I can with control. It would have been easier to post a video up, but I'm still in a search for a cheap camera.

Speed work (with or without bands) and stronger lats.

I do this as well. Every DE day I'm training with bands. Perhaps it'll help every now and then to use them on ME days, too?

drew
04-28-2008, 12:11 PM
I do this as well. Every DE day I'm training with bands. Perhaps it'll help every now and then to use them on ME days, too?

I wouldn't do the bands every week. 3 weeks with bands and 3 weeks with straight weight or maybe chains to keep your elbows healthy. I do them occasionally on ME days, but really don't love doing that.

Travis Bell
04-28-2008, 12:51 PM
I've been doing bands for the past 2months on DE day with no elbow problems

RhodeHouse
04-28-2008, 12:58 PM
Military Presses and Lat Work