PDA

View Full Version : Critique my cut

evnp85
04-28-2008, 10:52 AM
I've recently decided I want to start cutting. When I began working out I weighed around 145lbs. Three years later I currently weigh 194 and have added some great strength gains to go along with that. It was always my original plan to start cutting after I gained a good amount of muscle, but I quickly found it was much easier to just maintain my current weight.

I do not know the exact % of bodyfat I am currently at, but would guess its somewhere around 18%. I started out at 11% when I was 145 three years ago. My goal weight is 180lbs by August. A 14lb loss seems feasible by August 1st in my opinion.

I workout 5 days a week (about 45 min), with 2 minutes of a fast run at the end of each workout. Fitday estimates that I burn about 3200 calories per day when working out.

My daily calorie intake usually consists of about the following:
Calories: 2400
Fat: 112g
Carbs: 129g
Protein: 228g

The above numbers are based on my current cutting diet. I can provide more info regarding specific foods I am eating if requested. Is 129g of carbs too much?

My diet prior to this was much worse. I frequently ate cereal for breakfast, chicken parm or another "delicious" sandwich for lunch, chicken breast and a vegetable for dinner (sometimes with rice or pasta), and then random snacks throughout the nights (yogurt, cereal, etc). I'd assume my daily carb intake was much higher than protein.

The first question I have is should I change what I currently eat for lunch? For the sake of ease, I eat 2 peanut butter sandwichs (about 2 tablespoons each) with 2 slices of wheat bread at about 11 AM and 2 PM. I'm a little concerned with consuming that many carbs while I am not working out for another 5-7 hours. I don't workout until around 7 PM and understand that it makes much more sense to consume carbs during this time. I can substitute those two peanut butter sandwiches with a single chicken breast and some mixed nuts instead. However, this would drop my total daily caloric intake by at least 200, but I would be consuming far fewer carbs. Assuming I did this, I would be consuming about 2200 (instead of 2400) calories per day while burning 3200. Is this too much of a deficit. If it is, would it make more sense to eat a chicken breast and mixed nuts for lunch, instead of pb sandwiches, and then make up the 200 calories by eating more post workout?

Also: I know this is frowned upon, but I do drink at least one night per week (more often than not it is 2 nights).

Any criticism is greatly appreciated as that is what I am looking for.