PDA

View Full Version : Sticking points..

Lewy23
04-28-2008, 02:49 PM
I need some help in getting past certain sticking points. When it comes to benching...I can damn near pop almost anything off my chest then sometimes its like I hit a brick wall and it wont go..

Besides boards...what other lifts or exercises can I do to help with this?? Any help would be great!! Thanks!

Lewy

Travis Bell
04-28-2008, 03:00 PM
work your triceps with JM presses, rollbacks, Tate Presses and boards as well

RhodeHouse
04-28-2008, 03:50 PM
Make sure you're pushing all the way thru the lift.

curiosity
04-28-2008, 04:35 PM
rack lockouts worked for me

youngguns
04-28-2008, 04:53 PM
you could try floor pressing, and maybe bands. but im no bench expert, i'd do w/e travis/any other big bencher reccomends.

Travis Bell
04-28-2008, 05:10 PM
Make sure you're pushing all the way thru the lift.

This is really good advice. Too often people quit too soon and forget to "spread the bar" Act like your trying to spread your hands apart.

One thing that I've had to do is get my press endurance back up. Lou has had me doing non stop super sets on my DE day. It sucks but I have definatly noticed better grinder ability. I can squeeze my benches for longer now

fooz
04-28-2008, 07:55 PM
This is really good advice. Too often people quit too soon and forget to "spread the bar" Act like your trying to spread your hands apart.

One thing that I've had to do is get my press endurance back up. Lou has had me doing non stop super sets on my DE day. It sucks but I have definatly noticed better grinder ability. I can squeeze my benches for longer now

wow gotta try that, thanks :evillaugh:

Lewy23
04-29-2008, 06:12 AM

What sort of non-stop super sets?

Lewy23
04-29-2008, 06:27 AM
work your triceps with JM presses, rollbacks, Tate Presses and boards as well

What are JM presses and rollbacks. I just watched a few JM presses on youtube...is it just a close grip bench?

Travis Bell
04-29-2008, 09:22 AM
I've yet to find a good rollback video, its on my list of videos to make

I'll see if I can find a good JM press video

Mik
04-29-2008, 09:29 AM
JM press

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxfzWbEKd6s

Travis Bell
04-29-2008, 09:34 AM
best I can come up with for the JM press is this

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=13323&tid=102

its a description by Jim Wendler. I will definatly make videos of both of these in the future, but none of the ones I saw on YouTube were the way I have been instructed by Lou to do them

Keith
04-29-2008, 10:09 AM
JM press

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxfzWbEKd6s

:withstupi:

That came from the man who created the exercise, too. 95% of people I've seen do this exercise do it wrong. It's an isolation exercise and shouldn't involve the shoulders or chest so keep your elbows up.

Lewy23
04-29-2008, 11:14 AM
I may have done a variation of this movement. But we used the pins on the power rack and we did them off the floor. It was basically a skull crusher but off the pins and with a barbell...hard to explain.

Big o Boy
04-29-2008, 12:09 PM
very good video on the JM press. I watched that about 3 weeks back and have been adding them every assistance day since... bench went up 10 lbs... since then, also. ;)