PDA

View Full Version : food to declog arteries

dtshen
04-28-2008, 02:49 PM
OK this is kind of a weird question.

I feel like when i'm running or doing some sort of cardio, the thing that limits me is my heart health and how "clogged" my arteries are with fat and whatnot.

i "feel" like, or i, for no good reason, "believe" that if all the fat in my arteries were cleared, that i would be able to run faster for longer periods of time, or do cardio easier.

do u get what i'm saying?

What kind of things can you do, to "clear the fat" from your arteries?

What kind of food is best for this? I also, for no good reason, believe OATmeal removes fat from arteries by carrying it away or somethinig. Same for water. haha

Auburn
04-28-2008, 03:00 PM
The fat in your arteries isn't limiting your aerobic stuff.

Still, what can you do? Eat less, exercise.

Those are the big two. After that, you'd just want to lower triglycerides and increase LDL particle size. Eat some eggs and cut out excess fructose.

Slim Schaedle
04-28-2008, 09:28 PM
Fiber.

So, yeah...oats

wannabepanda
04-29-2008, 01:07 AM
i hear milk clogs your arteries cuz of what happens after they pasterize it. theres some stuff about it on the internet, but iono too much about it...

dscarth
04-29-2008, 01:34 AM
Well, I did some research for atherosclerosis for health class... here's my retyping of part of it. As for reversing the effects of atherosclerosis, you'll need to get your LDL down as far as it can go, and hope your body does the rest. (Drugs to keep an eye out for the future: ACAT inhibitors. Avasimibe was quoted as being demonstrated as reducing atherogenesis substantially in trials, but it caused Long QT syndrome according to wikipedia and was scrapped.)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2044253
Clin Cardiol. 1991 Feb;14(2 Suppl 1):I1-16.Links
The pathogenesis of atherosclerosis: an overview.
Schwartz CJ, Valente AJ, Sprague EA, Kelley JL, Nerem RM.

Plaque Regression

That atherosclerotic plaques may regress has been amply demonstrated in experimental animals, (125) and more recently in humans. (126) Similarly, both human cutaneous and tendinous xanthomas may undergo regression with specific treatment regimens. (127)(128) The experimental data have been essentially derived from hyperlipidemic animals, in which subsequent dietary fat and cholesterol restriction was the stimulus for cholesterol lowering and plaque regression. At least four mechanisms appear to be pivotal in plaque regression, which teleologically may be regarded as an attempt at arterial wall remodeling. First, plasma lipid levels including LDL must be lowered, thus reducing influx to the intima and further lesion progression. Second, the extracellular plaque lipid must be taken up by cells, presumably phagocytosed by macrophages transforming it from an inert to an active metabolic pool. Whether the physical phase of the plaque lipid influences its propensity for phagocytic uptake by macrophages has not been determined. Third, the intracellular lipid is then cleared from the cells by the HDL-mediated reverse cholesterol transport system. .There is little compelling evidence that the emigration of foam cells from the intima plays any significant role in lipid clearance. And fourth, the secretion of proteases, including collagenases and elastases, by activated intimal macrophages is necessary if the dense connective tissue matrix of a plaque is to be reversed."

FireRescue
04-29-2008, 06:28 AM
i hear milk clogs your arteries cuz of what happens after they pasterize it. theres some stuff about it on the internet, but iono too much about it...

It is actually the homoginization (sp?) process that makes the milk fat less digestgible.

Auburn
04-29-2008, 06:38 AM
Yeah, all the hippies agree raw milk is the best thing ever discovered and other milk will kill you dead today. Their proof is incredibely damning.

"We're the only animals that drink milk past infancy." We're also the only ones that can do anything worthwhile.