PDA

View Full Version : Healthy No Pasta Lasanga (Great for cutting)

littleman19
04-30-2008, 06:07 PM
Makes 3-4 Servings

2 medium-large eggplants
Spinach
Fresh Garlic

1 1/2 cups of low-fat mozzarella cheese
1/4-1/2 cups of Parmesan Cheese (don't buy the fake stuff, go to whole foods or somewhere and get a good quality one, it's worth it)

Meat-Sauce (basically like you make spaghetti-meat sauce mixture)
3/4 pound lean ground beef/turkey (I use 99% turkey)
1/2 Jar Of Spaghetti Sauce (what ever one you like)
Spices: salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, garlic (fresh or powder), onion (fresh or powder, and whatever else you like

Start up your meat sauce mixture and let simmer on the stove for ~20-30 minutes. Make sure to break up and mash the ground meat otherwise you'll have chunky, unseasoned tasting pieces. While it's simmering, skin and slice the eggplants long-ways into 1/2 inch pieces. Heat up a skillet and pan fry them until completely browned on each side using Pam Spray (don't use olive oil otherwise they'll suck it up like a sponge and make the eggplants droopy). Get a baking dish (I use a 5' by 9' bread baking pan) and begin with a layer of eggplant, then some meat sauce, then spinach, then cheese (mix the two), and then another layer of eggplant. Sautee some fresh garlic (i use about 10-20 gloves) and throw on top the eggplant. Repeat ending with a layer of cheese on the top. Cover with foil and bake at 400*F for 25min. Then take off the foil and bake for an addition 5 min to brown the top and finish the cooking. Enjoy.

manowar669
04-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Good stuff. You've basically discovered Mousaka (lots of Greek restaurants here), but with more meat. Yummy.