PDA

View Full Version : Olive oil - clogged arteries?

J.G
04-30-2008, 06:24 PM
I've been taking in 2 tablespoons of olive oil daily (along with my 2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter) to get my daily healthy fat intake, should I worry about my arteries getting clogged by taking in so much oil (PB and Olive Oil)?

I've always been understand the impression that olive oil was healthy for you, same with the natural peanut butter (being natural with no trans-fat or hydrogenated oils). People at work keep telling I need to cut it out and it's going to clog my arteries and I need to be very careful and what not.

Am I under the wrong impression; or is this something I should worry about?

radioheadhead
04-30-2008, 06:26 PM
I am 99% sure olive oil will not contribute to clogging arteries. Do a google or WebMD search to make sure. PB...I don't know for sure.

Doobs
04-30-2008, 07:03 PM
People in general are idiots. You should stop listening to them. When you eat something, it gets digested. Fat does not just go from your mouth into your arteries when you eat it.

Slim Schaedle
04-30-2008, 07:08 PM
When you eat something, it gets digested. Fat does not just go from your mouth into your arteries when you eat it.

This fact does not directly mean that it does not contrubute to the formation of fatty streaks and bloakcage of blood vessels.

Doobs
04-30-2008, 11:02 PM
To be fair though, I didn't exclude myself from my first comment.

Slim Schaedle
04-30-2008, 11:22 PM
To be fair though, I didn't exclude myself from my first comment.

hahahaha

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-02-2008, 04:31 AM
I fail to see how unsaturated oils will clog your arteries. Also, stop listening to the tools at your work. If anything, all that oil is preventing colon cancer. Congrats. :thumbup:

dougyp
05-02-2008, 02:53 PM
I agree with scarz of pain, but there are better forms of Omega 3 and 6. Olive oil contains about a 10:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3, and about 120 calories per tablespoon. About 1-2 percent of your calorie intake should be made up of Omega 6 and 3. Olive Oil contains about 10 percent Omega 6 and 3 in a 10:1 ratio. The other constituents of Olive Oil are various other kinds of "glycerolipids", (studies have shown these to be advantageous to health, even in subjects whose dietary fat consisted of only these fats).

At a 3,000 kcal diet, your 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil only yield about .8 percent of your calorie intake. And that's in a 10:1 ratio of 6's:3's; a 5:1 ratio is supposedly most beneficial. You still have a lot more room in your diet for these fats, so those people at work aren't just wrong, they're dead wrong. And they will probably be getting cancer at some point in there lives if they keep taking their own advice. The oils I take are called "Mixed EFA's" and they are made by Biotics Research and they can be bought online. They include sesame oil, hazelnut oil, apricot oil, and walnut oil. I think it's about $18 for an 8 ounce bottle, which isn't bad, these oils are clinical grade.

gregory1978
05-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Olive oil is still a much better choice for cooking then butter or margarine.

PatheticJoe
05-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Adding Olive Oil, Fish Oil, and Natty PB and getting rid of fast food and junk food did wonders for my cholesterol, especially my triglycerides.