PDA

View Full Version : "Power fudge", no bake recipe with coconut oil.

manowar669
04-30-2008, 06:33 PM
At least that's what I call it. Anyway, some credit is due to HahnB's immortal multi-year recipe thread on home-made protein bars here (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=63562).

Anyway, I wanted less carbs in my recipe, and I wanted to incorporate coconut oil. For those of you who don't use coconut oil (yet), research it a bit, and MCTs (medium chain triglycerides), and come back. It's a 'different' kind of fat.

OK, the recipe:
3 TBSP PB (I used Smart Balance Omega Natty, or Crazy Richard's)
3 TBSP Coconut oil (I use Spectrum organic, only thing I can find here)
1/4 cup oats (3 big TBSPs, Walmart brand)
2 scoops vanilla whey (I used Body Fortress vanilla, 26g protein/scoop)
5 tsp Splenda (use honey instead if you want)
tsp vanilla extract (optional)

Spray a 4"x8" rectangular tupperware container (any close size really, or make one from foil).
Melt PB and coconut oil (and vanilla) in a bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds or so. Stir.
Stir in Splenda (or honey), whey, and oats. Stir.
Pour batter into container and refrigerate a few hours. Mine is solid in 2 hours or less. It's hard like a chocolate bar. You can snap it.
Makes 3 bars. Cut and wrap in foil or plastic wrap.
Total / per bar
Cals 945 / 315
Pro 66.5 / 22.2
carb 25 / 8.3
fat 71 / 24

Remember, coconut oil works like carbs (sorta).

Notorious
05-02-2008, 05:21 PM
Sounds good. My main problem with the HahnB protein bars was the difficulty to swallow after a while...but if this breaks like chocolate, hopefully is doesn't have that problem. Might try it out.

BTW, do you just get coconut oil at a regular grocery store?

manowar669
05-06-2008, 05:37 AM
Sounds good. My main problem with the HahnB protein bars was the difficulty to swallow after a while...but if this breaks like chocolate, hopefully is doesn't have that problem. Might try it out.

BTW, do you just get coconut oil at a regular grocery store?

I get my coconut oil at the local grocery store (Giant). They have a yuppie section with organic and specialty foods. I haven't tried anywhere else, but I'm sure Walmart would NOT have it.

BTW, my next batch will use honey. After about 10 days, they are a little dry, sorta tastes like the inside of a Reese's PB cup. Yummy, but ya need a little water, or milk.