PDA

View Full Version : Bench press tips from you big benchers

Erik 23
04-30-2008, 08:08 PM
Earlier i was benching at a new gym and i had a couple bad handoffs well buy the time i got to my working sets i could barely bench i did 520 for 2 then i was having trouble so i dropped down two 500 and i was going to single it well as soon as it hit my chest my right tendon pulled and the guys around me had to take it off. How important is a good handoff can most of you big benchers take the weight yourself out should i try to get stronger for this or what. it almost seems that if i dont get a good handoff and get the weight right over my sternum then i cant bench. Please check out a bench video on youtube so you all can take a look at my form. any help would be appreciated. on youtube type in Erik's Bench Press i also have a deadlift video Erik's 700 lb deadlift

Jonah
04-30-2008, 08:34 PM
I'm not a "big bencher" but I've had some experience with this. I've also gotten rightly chewed out for screwing up liftoffs too. Tell whoever's lifting off for you where you want the bar and hold them to it. If they are still screwing up then try and find someone else. You need to be comfortable with where the other person puts the bar.

Erik 23
04-30-2008, 09:14 PM
I'm not a "big bencher" but I've had some experience with this. I've also gotten rightly chewed out for screwing up liftoffs too. Tell whoever's lifting off for you where you want the bar and hold them to it. If they are still screwing up then try and find someone else. You need to be comfortable with where the other person puts the bar.

Hey jonah thanx for the reply i am glad to hear i am not the only one with this issue i cant figure it out some days if i have a good hand off im repping 475 and such other days if i dont get a good handoff and have to take the weight out myself it seems like i get stuck and i cant move the weight at all.

ThomasG
04-30-2008, 09:41 PM
When lifting heavy down in the 1-2 reps zone I find the handoff is crucial in my lifitng.

Travis Bell
04-30-2008, 09:41 PM
Time to dial back the benching now regardless before you tear a pec

but as far as the handoffs go, they are priceless. A bad handoff is worse than no handoff at all. Everyone likes their handoffs a little different, but a good handoff guy can really make a good bench press.

A sloppy handout will ruin a lift or cause injury. You need to be able to tell them where you want the bar.

For instance I was handing out to Phil today and pushed it out too far for him on one of his lighter sets. He just told me that he wanted it a little further back and we were golden.
If its super bad though, just rack it and try again

Erik 23
04-30-2008, 10:01 PM
Time to dial back the benching now regardless before you tear a pec

but as far as the handoffs go, they are priceless. A bad handoff is worse than no handoff at all. Everyone likes their handoffs a little different, but a good handoff guy can really make a good bench press.

A sloppy handout will ruin a lift or cause injury. You need to be able to tell them where you want the bar.

For instance I was handing out to Phil today and pushed it out too far for him on one of his lighter sets. He just told me that he wanted it a little further back and we were golden.
If its super bad though, just rack it and try again

Thanx travis for the advice so you have the same problem where if you get a bad hand off you cant lift the weight?. can you take a look at my bench press video and tell me what you think of my form. that is the hand off guy i usually train with he may be small but he can get the weight out to me some guys i noticed dont care if you get the lift or not like today when i was benching i pretty much took all the weight out myself and i find when i do this i lose tightness and my form goes to crap and when i do get the bar down to my chest with a bad hand off it never comes back up.

Travis Bell
04-30-2008, 10:21 PM
yeah I looked at it and to be honest, you didn't lock any of those reps out bro. Not close. The other thing is your handoff guys keeps his hands on the bar. Big no no. He should hand off and back up. It looks like your left elbow (right in the video) dips back and fourth at the top. This could be causing the pec problem. I would focus more though on locking your weight out and having the spotter let go of the weight

chris mason
04-30-2008, 10:31 PM
I noticed a certain powerlifter in your deadlift video. What was he doing there?

You should ask him for benching advice, he would certainly know.

Erik 23
05-01-2008, 04:42 AM
yeah I looked at it and to be honest, you didn't lock any of those reps out bro. Not close. The other thing is your handoff guys keeps his hands on the bar. Big no no. He should hand off and back up. It looks like your left elbow (right in the video) dips back and fourth at the top. This could be causing the pec problem. I would focus more though on locking your weight out and having the spotter let go of the weight

Yeah travis your right i shouldnt have a spotter hold the bar for me i can get the weight my self sometimes if i want that extra rep i ask him to stay close but ill take another video and he wont have his hands on the bar thanx for the advice.

Erik 23
05-01-2008, 04:45 AM
I noticed a certain powerlifter in your deadlift video. What was he doing there?

You should ask him for benching advice, he would certainly know.

Hey chris thanx for the response yeah i used to train at quad's with Ed coan but havent been able to train with him bacause of work schedule. but sometime soon ill get back up there and get some more tips from him the man is a legend and one of the nicest guys around.

Travis Bell
05-01-2008, 08:57 AM
wow! thats pretty cool that you train with Ed Coan. That guy is a monster and could probably help you more than any of us

Here's a video of my 515lb bench for an example of what I mean by lockout.

gZqk33-hMTU

Erik 23
05-01-2008, 09:55 AM
wow! thats pretty cool that you train with Ed Coan. That guy is a monster and could probably help you more than any of us

Here's a video of my 515lb bench for an example of what I mean by lockout.

gZqk33-hMTU

Hey travis thanx for the help man you are very strong. yeah ed has helped me tremendously he is very strong and a great guy. i see what your saying on the lockout i will lockout my arms more from now on. oh and i see you bench at westside was that bench at another gym i thought westside looked different. and do you bench with halbert and wolf and those guys. ?

Travis Bell
05-01-2008, 11:27 AM
haha yeah. due to a schedule conflict, I couldn't bench at Westside for almost 2 months. It sucked. Thats the university gym. If you search around for me on youtube, you'll find videos of me doing shirt work at Westside. I've been back there for a couple months now.

Occasionally I'll bench with wolf and george, but normally I lift with the full meet crew on Wednsday mornings. Greg Panora, Phil Harrington, Tony Bologne and Matt Smith and I all lift together. I get to work closer with Lou that way as well. I've hit better PRs the more I do what Lou says so it works better that way.

Rob Luyando
05-01-2008, 04:01 PM
Have to agree with Travis on this one. The hand off is just as critical as a good set up and a strong press. When you handle crazy weights every thing has to be right to avoid injury!

thewicked
05-01-2008, 04:12 PM
this is why i don't take handoffs for the most part...i've had guys..

jerk it off the uprights and just let it go and damn near kill me!

throw the weight out so far forward that it was as if they pitched it to me!

and others who won't turn the damn bar loose...

they need a monolift for the bench press!

thewicked
05-01-2008, 04:16 PM
your bench also looks like it's all leg drive and chest/back blowing it up.. do you have a problem locking out? or just don't do it? Travis's video is what a solid press should look like. Don't get me wrong..your pressing blows me out of hte water. Just don't be shocked if you have to do some tricep/lockout work to get a solid press.

and if you keep dipping your elbows like that..like i did with 500 my first time at it..you'll be out of commission for awhile.. trust me. Been there done that..and opened my right shoulder right up and strained everythign in there.

fooz
05-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Travis, i want to be just like you, when i grow up :)

Erik 23
05-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Have to agree with Travis on this one. The hand off is just as critical as a good set up and a strong press. When you handle crazy weights every thing has to be right to avoid injury!

Hey rob thanx for commenting ive seen you bench and you are a awesome bencher i actually wanted to contact you before i wanted to ask you about training like if it would be cool if i could train with you guys like once a month or something do you train anywhere in illinois? i live in steger illinois about 30 mins outside of chicago if you would be willing to help me out i would greatly appreciate it if you can please take a look at that video that i posted on you tube so you can see where i am at and if youd be willing to help me that would be cool thanx rob.

Erik 23
05-01-2008, 08:09 PM
your bench also looks like it's all leg drive and chest/back blowing it up.. do you have a problem locking out? or just don't do it? Travis's video is what a solid press should look like. Don't get me wrong..your pressing blows me out of hte water. Just don't be shocked if you have to do some tricep/lockout work to get a solid press.

and if you keep dipping your elbows like that..like i did with 500 my first time at it..you'll be out of commission for awhile.. trust me. Been there done that..and opened my right shoulder right up and strained everythign in there.

My lockout isnt a problem really i just was benching like that i didnt even realize i was benching that low intil i seen myself i have corrected that though. i am a little hurt right now i got a bad hand off on 520 and injured myself a little so i will go light the next 2 weeks or so but as soon as i am able i will post up a better video.

Travis Bell
05-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Travis, i want to be just like you, when i grow up :)

hahaha, well your bench is about where mine was when I was 15 so you're on the right track!! Just go to Westside Barbell and you'll be good! haha

Dirty Martinez
05-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Travis your a beast! Now back to the handout guy. IMO he is the make or break of your bench. If he cannot give you a good handout you will be thinking of the handout instead of your lift.

Rob Luyando
05-03-2008, 11:07 AM
Hey rob thanx for commenting ive seen you bench and you are a awesome bencher i actually wanted to contact you before i wanted to ask you about training like if it would be cool if i could train with you guys like once a month or something do you train anywhere in illinois? i live in steger illinois about 30 mins outside of chicago if you would be willing to help me out i would greatly appreciate it if you can please take a look at that video that i posted on you tube so you can see where i am at and if youd be willing to help me that would be cool thanx rob.

Erik send me a PM and we can talk more.

Ryano
05-05-2008, 11:36 PM
i am a little hurt right now i got a bad hand off on 520 and injured myself a little so i will go light the next 2 weeks or so but as soon as i am able i will post up a better video.

IMO. Take your time coming back. If you have an injury, two weeks won't heal it. It may feel a little better in two weeks but stressing it could cause more injury. If you think your injured, see a doc to see for sure.

As for handoffs, NEVER take heavy weight out of the rack by yourself. Thats asking for a rotator cuff injury. As said before, a ****ty handoff is better than no handoff at all.

If you ever get a chance to workout with that Luyando guy, do it, but don't go near his barber. LOL.

vdizenzo
05-06-2008, 05:25 AM
If you ever get a chance to workout with that Luyando guy, do it, but don't go near his barber. LOL.

Also, there is no exercise on the bench where you should be laying face down on the pad. It's a trick, don't listen.

bencher8
05-06-2008, 07:29 AM
lmao vinnie!

Rob Luyando
05-06-2008, 07:54 AM
Also, there is no exercise on the bench where you should be laying face down on the pad. It's a trick, don't listen.

I learned that one from McVicar. But don't worry I only use that on my female training partners.