PDA

View Full Version : Squats and the "Manta Ray"

MillerTime1485
05-01-2008, 12:17 AM
Let me start off by saying that a few years back I was a complete douche who didn't take the time to work out their legs like they should. Now that i've gotten a little older I can appreciate squats and all the other leg work outs. Only problem I have is that I always get those annoying hicky like marks on my back, which all in all really isnt that big of a deal but I found this product the "manta ray" which im sure some of you have heard of. Like I said the hickies arn't a big deal but I figure if I can get the most comfort and the same workout I'd be a super happy camper. That being said if anyones actually used this manta ray I just want to know if its worth the buy.

Runty
05-01-2008, 12:36 AM
You're better of just getting used to the bar being on your back. From what I've heard, after you find the perfect groove on your back, it's much more stable. Plus you won't get glitter all over your back from some fancy pad. :evillaugh:

MillerTime1485
05-01-2008, 12:51 AM
Haha, glitter eh? When you put it that way I dont want anything to do with it. Still a "groove" in my back sounds like a painfull thing to have haha. Maybe I just need to grow a massive hunchback of notre dam like callus on my back and i'll be good. Thanks for the comment tho

SGT ROCK
05-01-2008, 01:24 AM
The manta ray is DEF worth the small price. Great piece of equipment.

Semper Fi

Ockhams_Razor
05-01-2008, 01:48 AM
i've used it before since with my old work out partner, he had to use it cause of ruptured disks in his back where the squat bar would sit (previous injury, he wasn't squatting with them still messed up), but with out it he couldn't go heavy due to the pain, and he swore by it. the few times i used it i liked it a lot, felt very stable and i never got any glitter off of it. i prefer the bar myself, since thats what i'm used to, but for the small price, its not bad.

MillerTime1485
05-01-2008, 01:50 AM
Ah seems we have some varied opinions, I appreciate all the comments thus far thanks guys.

Lones Green
05-01-2008, 03:46 AM
i think you'd be better off toughing it out and putting the bar on your back. the manta ray was a peice of equipment designed so the lifter could have an ultra high bar placement on your back. this engages different muscles. plus if you get heavy enough im pretty sure the manta ray will leave marks on you too.

motoko013
05-01-2008, 03:50 AM
i used to use the manta ray thing when i first started squatting because the bar with weights hurt my back too much...i eventually ditched the manta ray and my back has gotten used to it, no hickey marks anymore either...i also feel it is in a better position without the manta ray, plus i think it would elevate the center of gravity a tad

Sensei
05-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Manta Ray is a great piece of equipment. You are doing a very high-bar positioned squat with it though, so you generally will squat more upright than you would w. a lower bar position. If you want it as a training tool, then go for it - if it's because you don't know how to properly rack the bar on your back, then I think you should spend more time without it. JMO.

dbcb314
05-01-2008, 12:40 PM
good way to change somethign up for a powerlifter, especially if they are looking for me ME variations.

Lones Green
05-01-2008, 01:33 PM
good way to change somethign up for a powerlifter, especially if they are looking for me ME variations.

exactly! oly squats with it are also brutal.

Hazerboy
05-01-2008, 07:38 PM
I've taught a few people how to squat, most of them beginners (skinny guys).I don't let any of them use it, because I believe that regular squatting will build up your traps. So if your goal is just to get bigger, I'd say a manta ray would be limiting in that respect.

but hey, maybe you can just throw in a bunch of shrugs or something and use the manta ray until you build up your base. Just my two cents.

Auburn
05-01-2008, 07:41 PM
I pretty much agree with the others. I've got one, and it's as solid as you could hope for, considering the price. It's not a replacement for learning proper bar placement, though. I would recommend picking one up later on to play around with, though.

nddillon
05-01-2008, 07:59 PM
I've used a pad almost everytime I squat. I developed a bruise on my back taht was the exact spot my football pads hit. Then I stopped using it after high school until started BJJ and I always had mat burn there.

The mentality of saying squat pads are for p**sies is for d-bags that have their own masculinity issues. If anyone says otherwise, I would like to meet them to discuss it.

Travis Bell
05-01-2008, 09:53 PM
haha nah, its true about that pad

man up and take the bruise. you'll get tougher in the long run