PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts from the pros please

POWERLIFTER87
05-01-2008, 11:40 AM
I'd like some opinions from some of the pros and more experienced lifters on here. People keep trashing me and my lifts on some other websites, but better lifters I've talked to agree with me that my squat is pretty much right at parallel (or extremely close at least). I would like to know what you guys think though, since I know there's several professional powerlifters that post here.

This is the video of 526lbs. raw squat I did on Monday (only shows the depth and the end is cut out):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVgpuWDWWKM

This is the full version, which I had posted before, but taken down. Somebody else stole it and posted it again to try to make fun of me, though here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVZKpoOQcW4

(I actually puke during the lift on the way up that you see in this version, lol. It was hardcore.)

Mik
05-01-2008, 11:50 AM
ROFL!!!! The spewing was awesome!!!!!!!

I'm def. no pro but I would say it's a tad high. Still that's a pile of weight.

WillKuenzel
05-01-2008, 11:50 AM
I don't have a lot of time but here's what I'm looking at right before you come up. The top red line is where you hips are and the bottom red line is where parallel would be. This is what I see but somebody else might have a different opinion.

dbcb314
05-01-2008, 12:37 PM
You are not even close IMO you are several inches high.

what fed are you thinking about competing in?

RhodeHouse
05-01-2008, 12:42 PM
It's a little high. You are very shaky under the weight. Make sure you're hitting weighted sit-ups, oblique work (side muscles), and low back.

Keep practicing your form. Watch video and critique yourself. I would also go out and find some training partners. Spend some time on the internet and in other gyms looking for guys that train like you do, or at least just train real hard and are into lifting. Other people's eyes on you are going to be the best way for you to make progress.

All in all, it's a little high, but keep after it. Make sure to work on flexibilty, mobility, and get depth with every set, including the bar. If you think you're deep, go deeper. Check the video immediately after each set. This way you can start to learn where parallel is for you.

Ryano
05-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Looked high to me also. Puke looked like Monster drink? Takes guts to just post that one of yourself. Most people wouldn't. I totally agree with the advice of getting some training partners. Have them call "honest" depth for you.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
05-01-2008, 12:52 PM
I'd like some opinions from some of the pros and more experienced lifters on here. People keep trashing me and my lifts on some other websites, but better lifters I've talked to agree with me that my squat is pretty much right at parallel (or extremely close at least). I would like to know what you guys think though, since I know there's several professional powerlifters that post here.

This is the video of 526lbs. raw squat I did on Monday (only shows the depth and the end is cut out):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVgpuWDWWKM

This is the full version, which I had posted before, but taken down. Somebody else stole it and posted it again to try to make fun of me, though here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVZKpoOQcW4

(I actually puke during the lift on the way up that you see in this version, lol. It was hardcore.)

I would have given you the red light because top surface of the legs at the hip joint is not lower than the top of the knees. If you look at my 4 different squat images below, you are between 2 & 3. You need the depth of #4.

http://www.nasa-sports.com/Rulebook/New.NASA.Rulebook.12.06/NASA%20Rule%20Book_files/image006.gif

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?

Lones Green
05-01-2008, 01:32 PM
yeah, that was close to parallel, but not quite there. but, i've definetely seen worse. and thats a lot of weight for a raw squat.

the vomiting is why i've learned not to eat 2 hours before workouts, haha.

Travis Bell
05-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Echoing what others have said, sorry but it wasn't parallel. Close yes, maybe drop down another 2in. Try not to lean so far forward, sit back, like you're sitting on a chair and drop the hips down. Your hips shot back real quick. Keep workin bro, you'll get it soon. Actually if you dropped a little faster (after getting tighter and feelin more comfortable under the weight) you'd probably get that to parallel.

SGT ROCK
05-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Love the BARF! Your high bro...a couple inches or better. With just a bit of practice you can dunk that below parallel, stay with it.

Semper Fi

POWERLIFTER87
05-01-2008, 04:47 PM
what fed are you thinking about competing in?

I'm looking at doing a meet in October that is APA. Otherwise, I think I remember seeing something on Ohio that is APF.

It's a little high. You are very shaky under the weight. Make sure you're hitting weighted sit-ups, oblique work (side muscles), and low back.

OK. Thanks. That's a good idea. I probably should do more of that anyways.

Keep practicing your form. Watch video and critique yourself. I would also go out and find some training partners. Spend some time on the internet and in other gyms looking for guys that train like you do, or at least just train real hard and are into lifting. Other people's eyes on you are going to be the best way for you to make progress.

There really isn't anybody else at my gym at the time that I usually can lift. I've always just lifted alone. Do you know anyone around here? I live near Buffalo, New York.

All in all, it's a little high, but keep after it. Make sure to work on flexibilty, mobility, and get depth with every set, including the bar. If you think you're deep, go deeper. Check the video immediately after each set. This way you can start to learn where parallel is for you.

What if I can't get down enough with lighter weight? What exactly should I do?

Echoing what others have said, sorry but it wasn't parallel. Close yes, maybe drop down another 2in. Try not to lean so far forward, sit back, like you're sitting on a chair and drop the hips down. Your hips shot back real quick. Keep workin bro, you'll get it soon. Actually if you dropped a little faster (after getting tighter and feelin more comfortable under the weight) you'd probably get that to parallel.

So do you mean that I'm sitting too far back and not down enough? Or maybe just staying more upright fixes that?

BTW, I'm not a guy.

WillKuenzel
05-01-2008, 04:53 PM
What if I can't get down enough with lighter weight? What exactly should I do?Just like he said, work on your flexibility and mobility. If you can't hit parallel or deeper with just the bar, you need better flexibility.

dbcb314
05-01-2008, 05:01 PM
You just need to lighten the weight and force yourself to get to depth. Set up a box at parallel and hit it everytime. Even touch n go if you want just so you know you are getting deep enough.

If you can't, you have extreme mobility issues. You are a big girl, but guys much bigger than you can get down in depth so you can to.

SGT ROCK
05-01-2008, 05:18 PM
SORRY ABOUT THAT! Your one strong woman!

Work on your set up, fiind yourself a box that is slightly below parallel and work on sitting back on it, and pausing. Find someone to judge your depth if possible, keep at it.

Semper Fi

HP666
05-01-2008, 06:51 PM
So do you mean that I'm sitting too far back and not down enough? Or maybe just staying more upright fixes that?

BTW, I'm not a guy.

**** ME!!! I thought so!!!!! I didn't want to say anything and seem like a dick!!!! You are one powerful lady!!

Anyway, have you tried squatting with a box? Oops, sorry, I was so fired up about the "not a guy" thing I didn't see Sarge's post.

Leeman
05-01-2008, 09:01 PM
So after 11 pages you are finally going to accept the fact that you were high? Or is everyone else here wrong to?

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=107516261 for reference

If you cant get to parallel with the bar on your back then you are in extreme danger... because one day you will miss the weight and you will be forced to parallel and will likely get hurt badly.

That high squat isnt a matter of flexibility, you just cut it high, I guarantee you can get to parallel. If you can sit in the average chair then you can squat at least 3" deeper than what you just did.

POWERLIFTER87
05-01-2008, 09:40 PM
So after 11 pages you are finally going to accept the fact that you were high? Or is everyone else here wrong to?

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=107516261 for reference

If you cant get to parallel with the bar on your back then you are in extreme danger... because one day you will miss the weight and you will be forced to parallel and will likely get hurt badly.

That high squat isnt a matter of flexibility, you just cut it high, I guarantee you can get to parallel. If you can sit in the average chair then you can squat at least 3" deeper than what you just did.

No, there's a big difference in saying close (an inch or two high) and all the ******s there saying "quarter squat" and name calling because ya'll are obviously childish there. That's a huge difference.

I have zero respect for anyone there. Nothing will ever change that.

POWERLIFTER87
05-01-2008, 09:46 PM
You just need to lighten the weight and force yourself to get to depth. Set up a box at parallel and hit it everytime. Even touch n go if you want just so you know you are getting deep enough.

If you can't, you have extreme mobility issues. You are a big girl, but guys much bigger than you can get down in depth so you can to.

I tried that today actually. Just did a few sets mid-300s to try it out. As long as my stance is a bit wider it's fine. The power rack I use in that video I can't have as wide a stance since it's narrower. I used one of the other ones today, and a few inches wider makes it alot easier. I've done the box squatting before too, only a few times deep though.

Travis Bell
05-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Yeah stay a little more upright, but if you watch, right as you go up you shoot back a little and it almost appears as if you're going to lose your balance. To help, pick a spot on the wall when you're standing up that is right in front of you or a little above eye level. Keep your eyes on that spot throughout the entire lift.

I must say though, I've only seen a few women handle that kind of weight. Very impressive. The vomit was a little gross though haha.

The other thing is, hitting parallel can in fact be a flexibility thing. Sometimes a person just isn't used to hitting that depth and their stance can make it hard to reach parallel.

I would recommend lifting with a spotter though

chris mason
05-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Like the others said.

When you say you cannot get lower what do you mean? Why are you unable to get to depth in your opinion?

POWERLIFTER87
05-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Yeah stay a little more upright, but if you watch, right as you go up you shoot back a little and it almost appears as if you're going to lose your balance. To help, pick a spot on the wall when you're standing up that is right in front of you or a little above eye level. Keep your eyes on that spot throughout the entire lift.

I must say though, I've only seen a few women handle that kind of weight. Very impressive. The vomit was a little gross though haha.

The other thing is, hitting parallel can in fact be a flexibility thing. Sometimes a person just isn't used to hitting that depth and their stance can make it hard to reach parallel.

I would recommend lifting with a spotter though

Haha, yeah I do usually pick a spot on the wall. I was trying not to throw up, lol.

When I started lifting, I couldn't even come anywhere close to parallel without rounding my back. That was really doing partials for awhile.

I never have a spotter on any lifts. I even unrack bench and done board presses by myself. I just find them distracting, and haven't really found anyone that actually knows how to spot good anyways.

POWERLIFTER87
05-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Like the others said.

When you say you cannot get lower what do you mean? Why are you unable to get to depth in your opinion?

Well, with a wide enough stance I can, otherwise forget it.

Travis Bell
05-01-2008, 09:58 PM
you really should find a good spotter. It'll be worth it in the long run

if you couldn't hit parallel without rounding your back, then I guess I would recommend getting some stretching in. You should not be that tight

POWERLIFTER87
05-01-2008, 10:05 PM
you really should find a good spotter. It'll be worth it in the long run

if you couldn't hit parallel without rounding your back, then I guess I would recommend getting some stretching in. You should not be that tight

Well, I know there are some powerlifters that train at my gym, just not during the time that I can be there. That might change soon actually, but I ain't sure yet.

I can go lower than that now, actually all the way down, but only with a real wide stance. Which means I probably have to only use the wider power racks, although unracking it is at a strange height. I know that seems strange, because I guess it's supposed to be easier to squat deeper with a narrow stance, but I couldn't do a half squat with a narrow stance no matter what the weight is.

RhodeHouse
05-01-2008, 10:21 PM
A few things:

1. As a powerlifter, you NEED training partners and spotters. Look outside your gym if need be. One of the best in the world trains in Buffalo. Paul Childress. Julia Ladewski also has a gym in/around Buffalo. Spend some time looking for them.

2. Stretch. If you can't get to parallel with your bodyweight, you've got some flexibility problems that need to be addressed.

POWERLIFTER87
05-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Rhodes- I'll look up those people and see if they're actually decently close to me. Thanks.

Well thanks to the couple Westside guys especially that helped me out. I definitely respect you guys for helping me, and you're some of the few powerlifters at least that I've seen that actually try to give helpful advice. I'll definitely recommend you guys to anyone I meet in the future that might have questions and refer them to your websites.

Before this site turns into a ****hole like one of the other ones, I'm not gonna keep replying to the idiot posting here, though. I don't know why he keeps stalking me anyways. He takes videos from 30 feet away and tells everyone trust me it's a good lift. I don't really care to get into it anymore though. Like I said before you're being completely childish and its not worth wasting the time of anyone here. This thread was not meant to address you in anyway.

If I have any more questions, I'll just ask by PM.

Edit: I suggest the mods lock this thread now, please.

Addison K.
05-01-2008, 11:34 PM
I don't care if you are high or not, that's impressive squatting for a female.

I think once you get depth/from down, you will do well in competition.

My suggestion is to incorporate both heavy and speed box squats into your routine.

By using a box, you will squat to depth every rep and practice proper squat stroke.

On another note, I can see why you may become angered @the caustic method delivery of advice, but I think you exhibit a bit of negativity in a number of your posts.

You should remember you open yourself to all sorts of criticism when you post on the internet, so my advice is separate the good from the bad.

Again, good job!

IHN,

Addison K.

vdizenzo
05-02-2008, 05:45 AM
You can find other people to train with? I drive 4 hours round trip a couple times a month to train with people better than me. You won't get any better until you realize you have a lot to learn. If you want to improve, you have quite a few issues that need to be fixed. You're obviously strong but many of us won't blow smoke up your ass, the squats are high. You're not going to get any better until you realize that you need other people to get better.

You stole my thunder. When I was trying to find my way in lifting there was a time when I was commuting ten hours a week to train. There is nothing that compares to quality training partners. If someone is not willing to travel to train with the right partners then that person is simply not committed.

Chubrock
05-02-2008, 07:05 AM
You can find other people to train with? I drive 4 hours round trip a couple times a month to train with people better than me.

And to think I drive 4hrs one way to train with you haha.

ACaslow
05-02-2008, 07:14 AM
If reaching depth is an issue with you currently in just a belt, you need to spend far more time before you begin squatting with weight to loosen up your hips and work on form with just a bar. Work the form and force yourself down by stretching dynamically mimicking a squat movement.

In your set-up, you take way too much time to gather yourself. Learn to take two steps back, reach for a big breath and squat. You should not be moving up and back your feet and doing whatever else your doing for so long before you descend.

Your pushing back nicely though.

Keep it at and continue to hammer your flexibility to enhance the range of motion and make the parallel transition easier.

Fuzzy
05-02-2008, 07:15 AM
The squat was very very high.

You are the SHW female, you posted a few on BB.com PL section. I remember now...

Guido
05-02-2008, 10:29 AM
PL,

As mentioned before on the other site, I agree that it's a bit high. Box squatting as others have suggested really is the best way to get the feel for proper (legal) depth. I've helped several people learn to squat from below parallel by using boxes of varying heights. Just use a slightly lower box each week and eventually your flexibility and musculature will adapt to anable you to do it without the box. Not only that, but enancing your mobility is going to help you in a lot of other ways, as well, so it's definitely worth it!

Even going down to parallel, you're going to be good for a ridiculous amount of weight. Certainly more than any other woman I've ever seen or I myself have done raw.

Chris Rodgers
05-02-2008, 03:17 PM
I'm just curious how you squat when you do ATF squats? I see these in your journal sometimes. Are you using a different stance?

SGT ROCK
05-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Bros lets keep on TARGET here. Lets try and help her, not start a pissing contest....ok? We can at least agree she is a strong woman with great potential, lets try and fix her issues ok? There is a wealth of knowledge on here, lets use it to help.

Semper Fi

gregory1978
05-03-2008, 03:08 PM
I'm looking at doing a meet in October that is APA. Otherwise, I think I remember seeing something on Ohio that is APF.

OK. Thanks. That's a good idea. I probably should do more of that anyways.

There really isn't anybody else at my gym at the time that I usually can lift. I've always just lifted alone. Do you know anyone around here? I live near Buffalo, New York.

What if I can't get down enough with lighter weight? What exactly should I do?

BTW, I'm not a guy.

Where do you train now? There is alot of good lifters in Buffalo. Send me a PM and I can give you names of places to go or we can set something up if you want to train with us.

cunniff1981
05-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Well, with a wide enough stance I can, otherwise forget it.

No offence but most people that have a belly need to widden there stance to get depth. A few blokes I know have to do it cause their bellies are massive and wothout it their bellies just land on thier thighs and there is no chance then.

chris mason
05-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Bros lets keep on TARGET here. Lets try and help her, not start a pissing contest....ok? We can at least agree she is a strong woman with great potential, lets try and fix her issues ok? There is a wealth of knowledge on here, lets use it to help.

Semper Fi

Well put Brent!