PDA

View Full Version : Clean and jerk 100kg @ 68kg and more!

CleverName
05-01-2008, 09:00 PM
I finally found a gym that has everything I need. Bumper plates, deadlift platform. It was love at first sight. It's a crossfit gym that not a whole lot of people seem to know about. The owner's really cool (let me lift my first time coming there without even signing up... of course, I would have signed up anyway).

Best part is... I can record video! :D

Here's a bunch of clean and jerks. And I finally got 100kg, which is what I've been wanting to do for a long time. :) Felt nice to finally get it.

If there are any suggestions at all for improvement on my form, then by all means, please share. :idea:

100kg

b-TrnX8PmvM

80kg

_H6wdW8YmC4

--Kp6qCE9BA

90kg

HkwpiXJlinU

MNaAn6bPYBY

078ZiH49ilE
(was tired on that one!)

60kg

rlwQdEHxZVM

Expect to see a lot more videos from me in the future. :hello:

BigTA1982
05-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Cool man, wish I could find another place with plat forms and rubber weights

MPB
05-01-2008, 11:31 PM
Very very impressed with 100kg C+J

May I ask how you got to learn oly lifts and what you did for wrist/arm flexibility?

And also, is that a watch that you're wearing on your left wrist ;)

motoko013
05-02-2008, 02:05 AM
you look like ginobili

CleverName
05-02-2008, 06:54 AM
Very very impressed with 100kg C+J

May I ask how you got to learn oly lifts and what you did for wrist/arm flexibility?

And also, is that a watch that you're wearing on your left wrist ;)

That would be a watch my friend. :D Always like to have a quick check of the time available.

I first learned to power clean in high school, but I'm sure my form was really bad. Started trying them again when I joined my gym a year ago, but couldn't clean worth a damn. I learned the oly lifts pretty much by watching lots and lots of videos and reading up on it. For flexibility... didn't really do anything specific, but the hook grip helps for when you catch it.

you look like ginobili

Thanks? X)

BigTA, I found my gym on this site: http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/4420

Notorious
05-03-2008, 12:53 PM
You're jumping forward on the Cleans - a lot.

As for the Jerk, I think you could be dipping down more, but I'll admit I know nothing about proper Jerk form :)

Overall very impressive, especially for your bodyweight!

littleman19
05-05-2008, 02:17 PM
very nice, excellent for your bodywieght. i used to love clean and jerk before i hurt my lower back. my best was 90kg@56kg or roughly 198lb@123lb. i use to do the little hop for forward too so don't worry about it too much haha. i suggest hang cleans to help with explosive power and also heavy front squats to help with catching and squating the weight.

Jorge Sanchez
05-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Looking really good. I wish I could learn to clean properly.

JHarris
05-06-2008, 07:55 AM
Actually, the hop forward is indicative of a really bad problem. (It turns out that a hop backwards is more acceptable, strangely enough). The issue is that, right off the floor, you are letting the weight pull you forward. Your back angle immediately drops, and I can see you rocking onto your toes. Consequently, you have to bend your arms later to get the weight closer to your hips for the explosion phase, which also causes you to cut your pull, sending you and the bar more forward.

If you work a lot more on keeping the bar closer in the first pull (as well as not letting your back angle change) I think you'll be hitting 110 in no time!

You also need to work on your split some.. back heel up, step out more!

CleverName
05-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Thanks JHarris. Was gonna PM you if you didn't respond here soon! :D

I see what you mean about the weight pulling me forward off the floor. Will definitely work on that next time I'm out. Looking forward to the 110 some day. :D

JHarris
05-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Thanks JHarris. Was gonna PM you if you didn't respond here soon! :D

I see what you mean about the weight pulling me forward off the floor. Will definitely work on that next time I'm out. Looking forward to the 110 some day. :D

Yeah - you have pretty impressive form for someone so new to the sport. There's an old saying in Olympic lifting: you have 10 years in the sport. The first 5 are to figure out how to lift, and the second 5 are to figure out how much you can lift.

Try doing pulls to just below your knees and hold it there for 2 seconds. You should be able to wiggle your toes off the ground. If you are forward at that position, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to tell as you'll start to feel yourself fall forward. This is a great drill for correcting that problem.

Also.. set that back as tight as possible and never let go of it! A subtle point many people don't get for a long time is that, when you shrug, your shoulder blades should still be retracted with your chest puffed up. This keeps the bar tighter, and it all starts right off the floor. I've heard a senior international coach say that 90% of all misses he sees are mistakes in the first pull.

Good luck, and let me know if I can help you out with your lifts in the future.