PDA

View Full Version : fat cells fixed or not?

wannabepanda
05-02-2008, 11:43 AM
i just got started reading UD2.0 and it said somewhere about creating new fat cells. I thought everyone had a fixed amount of fat cells that they start out with which is genetic and thats why come people store more fat in certain areas than others, because thats where they have more fat cells. when you get fatter, its because those fat cells become more saturated and when you get skinnier the fat cells just deplete, but they are still there in the same amount. is that wrong now?

Slim Schaedle
05-02-2008, 11:46 AM
i just got started reading UD2.0 and it said somewhere about creating new fat cells. I thought everyone had a fixed amount of fat cells that they start out with which is genetic and thats why come people store more fat in certain areas than others, because thats where they have more fat cells. when you get fatter, its because those fat cells become more saturated and when you get skinnier the fat cells just deplete, but they are still there in the same amount. is that wrong now?

True for the most part.

It's like you have a bunch of little sacs and getting fatter means shoveling more and more **** into those sacs.

To my knowledge, the number of those sacs can increase, but losing the ones you were born with is virtually impossible.

("sac" is not a scientic term at all....just a name I used)

zen
05-02-2008, 11:55 AM
I believe something like 90+% of your fat cells have been created before you are born, and most of the rest within the first two years of life.
However, there are some exceptions. Lipoma for one.

Auburn
05-02-2008, 12:03 PM
You have set amount of adipocytes. You also have a pool of pre-adipocytes that will differentiate into regular adipocyte cells in certain instances. If you're an adult male that is otherwise healthy, extreme obesity is the only time this will really happen.

wannabepanda
05-03-2008, 06:48 PM
well...im pretty sure i have stoped growing by now. are you guys saying that it was possible to create new fat cells when you are still growing? and that those new cells that are created during growth are permanent?

Auburn
05-03-2008, 07:19 PM
are you guys saying that it was possible to create new fat cells when you are still growing? and that those new cells that are created during growth are permanent?

Puberty, pregnancy, and obesity are the three main times this will happen. Pre-adipocytes and adipocytes have death-receptors which can theoretically lead to apoptosis. This has been shown in human cells in vitro, but there is no evidence that this will happen much in vivo, as far as I know. There is always liposuction, though.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Puberty, pregnancy, and obesity are the three main times this will happen. Pre-adipocytes and adipocytes have death-receptors which can theoretically lead to apoptosis. This has been shown in human cells in vitro, but there is no evidence that this will happen much in vivo, as far as I know. There is always liposuction, though....and tummy tucks. :bang: