PDA

View Full Version : Belt while benching

jbrin0tk
05-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Hey guys,

I've seen people use a belt while benching, but never tried it myself. Is it advantageous to do so? I've heard of it being an aid in terms of getting a shirt to "fit" properly, but I am speaking about raw benching here. Thanks, guys!

Travis Bell
05-02-2008, 10:37 PM
it actually provides great lower back support if you bench with any leg drive. I benched one day without it and really regretted it the next day. My lower back was killing me!

Indifference
05-02-2008, 11:23 PM
On my heaviest attempts I use it, and Ill agree with mr bell on his accounts! It definitely tightens up your lower back. Like Travis said if you have a good amount of leg drive itll keep your back from getting too tight and cramping and being sore the next day.

thewicked
05-02-2008, 11:28 PM
On my heaviest attempts I use it, and Ill agree with mr bell on his accounts! It definitely tightens up your lower back. Like Travis said if you have a good amount of leg drive itll keep your back from getting too tight and cramping and being sore the next day.

TB and indifference beat me to it.. good posts guys!

Xellarz
05-03-2008, 03:43 AM
Wow...my back usually is sore the day after benching...I will be trying out that belt next bench day.

Thank you jbrin0tk and the guys who posted.

Rob Luyando
05-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Belts are great for Squats, Deadlifts and lifts that you need back support. I wear a belt only with a shirt on and pretty much just to keep my shirt in place. But everyone is different.

jbrin0tk
05-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Wow...my back usually is sore the day after benching...I will be trying out that belt next bench day.

Thank you jbrin0tk and the guys who posted.

You are welcome, sir!

And thanks, Travis, and everyone else who has shared an opinion. I appreciate it!

waynedang
05-04-2008, 03:41 PM
I use mine only to hold my shirt in place. I see no reason ( for me anyway ) to wear it for raw benching. Plus my back hurts the next day no matter if I wear a belt or not.

lackie
05-04-2008, 04:54 PM
i only use a belt to hold the shirt down and if my back hurts that means I had a good arch

Jason Pegg
05-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Belts are great for Squats, Deadlifts and lifts that you need back support. I wear a belt only with a shirt on and pretty much just to keep my shirt in place. But everyone is different.

I am about the same. I never really had much of an arch though, just a "bencher belly" if you will!

Jason

gregory1978
05-04-2008, 09:20 PM
I just started using a belt for benching and it does seem to help get into a beter set up

jbrin0tk
05-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Again, thanks for the replies, fellas! I'm getting lots of good viewpoints and reasonings here. I appreciate it!

Big LaP
05-05-2008, 06:35 AM
it makes my core feel tighter wether i am benching raw or with a shirt. its all personal opinion.

Lewy23
05-05-2008, 10:58 AM
I use mine only to hold my shirt in place. I see no reason ( for me anyway ) to wear it for raw benching. Plus my back hurts the next day no matter if I wear a belt or not.

I agree, this is the only reason why I wear a shirt while benching...

BPM Osgood
05-06-2008, 07:17 AM
Hey guys,

I've seen people use a belt while benching, but never tried it myself. Is it advantageous to do so? I've heard of it being an aid in terms of getting a shirt to "fit" properly, but I am speaking about raw benching here. Thanks, guys!

I wear APT's Leather bench Belt and found it really kept my body tight, I felt Stronger! I would Wear one for the Big Lifts!

bencher8
05-06-2008, 07:25 AM
well, i wear a belt when i bench equipped or unequipped. Like others have said it halps keep the core tighter, but the main way it helps me is to give me something to push my abs against...makes a difference for sure!

Guido
05-06-2008, 07:30 AM
For benching in the shirt I always wear it, mostly for the reasons mentioned and because it helps to keep the shirt in place. Otherwise, I think it sort of hinders my ability to arch on raw attempts so I don't wear it for those.

Rob Luyando
05-06-2008, 07:53 AM
well, i wear a belt when i bench equipped or unequipped. Like others have said it halps keep the core tighter, but the main way it helps me is to give me something to push my abs against...makes a difference for sure!

Stop using a belt when you bench raw! That is why you can't push your belly up as much as mine. :hello:

bencher8
05-06-2008, 11:58 AM
i think there might be a "bigger" reason why i cant push my belly up as much as yours Rob...nothing to do with the belt..more to do with Krispy Kreme's lol

speaking of KK's i think i might go and try to get "thicker" tonight...lol

GHOGH
05-06-2008, 08:52 PM
I have not benched with a belt in about 10 years. I use to use the belt ALL the time, then, as all of us do, I read an article about how using a belt makes your back weak, so I stopped using the belt. I did have some soreness at first but it eventually went away (got stronger).

So for me using a belt is a no no.

My best RAW is 385 @220lbs with NO belt.

Ben Moore
05-07-2008, 08:14 AM
I have not benched with a belt in about 10 years. I use to use the belt ALL the time, then, as all of us do, I read an article about how using a belt makes your back weak, so I stopped using the belt. I did have some soreness at first but it eventually went away (got stronger).

So for me using a belt is a no no.

My best RAW is 385 @220lbs with NO belt.

Seriously, when will this debate end? A belt is a tool in an arsenal and should be used as such. It will not make you weaker and will provide tightness and support to prevent injury. To each thier own, but don't believe the gossip.

Ben Moore
05-07-2008, 08:15 AM
I wear APT's Leather bench Belt and found it really kept my body tight, I felt Stronger! I would Wear one for the Big Lifts!

We just got a couple of these. They are great belts!