PDA

View Full Version : The Tank is back, and starting from scratch!

Tank23
05-04-2008, 06:15 AM
Hey everyone!

I'm finally back, after a long long hiatus from training due to many unfortunate circumstances in my life. My last post was in the middle of 2006, and boy was that a crazy year.
That year begun with me breaking my ankle, and ended with me developing RSI in my hands and arms, and graduating with first class honours in Computer Engineering. It was one of my toughest years yet.

A month after graduation I hopped on a plane to Germany to do an internship at Fujitsu-Siemens Comupters in Augsburg. I went to Germany in spite of the severity of my RSI, I needed a change of scenery - University and my self-imposed pressure to graduate with honours had driven me to my wits end, and I was completely burnt out. It took me a long time to recover from that burn out, and even longer to recover from the RSI.

I had a fantastic, albeit torturous time (due to the RSI) in Germany. I absolutely loved living there, and even though I had these health troubles, life was interesting, and character building at the very least - if I can get through 14 months of RSI and come out on top, I can get through anything.

I had planned to stay in Germany for a few years, rather than returning home to Australia. Though, I was forced to return home in October 2007, due to the severity of my RSI.

In August I had some time off from work, and decided to do a solo cycling tour through the country of Slovenia and Croatia, in spite of my severe problem with RSI. I figured, hey it's not getting any better sitting around moping in my apartment, bugger it, I'm going to follow my dreams, I won't let anything stop me.
So I went out and bought an awesome touring bicycle, trained flat out for 2 weeks, and then headed to Slovenia on a train, and proceeded to cross the entire country of Slovenia only on bike. Unfortunately whilst on tour I took a pretty big fall - fortunately I didn't break any bones, just had road rash on various parts of my body and a busted up shoulder - but I pressed on with the tour, treating my injuries myself.

Two weeks after the tour, my whole left arm went completely numb, when I say numb, I mean I could not move it properly, I couldn't feel it properly. It was the scariest thing I've ever been through. I was there in a foreign country, and had no use of my left hand, and only limited use of my right hand.
Anyway, so that forced me to take 8 weeks off work, and I did the rounds with the doctors, osteopaths, chiropractors, physio's, myotherapists, etc etc all to no avail. No one knew how to help me, so I resigned from my job, packed my bags, booked a flight back to Melbourne, and decided to take some time out from the world to fix up my health.

Long story short, I tried seeking help from the medical profession here in Melbourne, was told by a Neurologist at the end of Decembed 2006 that I needed surgery for nerve damage in my left arm. I told him 'no way', and asked for other alternatives, to which he said that this is the only thing I could do. What a load of bull*****, that really pissed me off.

I'm really big on natural and wholistic medicine, so I could not believe that there were no other options available to me other than surgery. Basically, 3 weeks after that I had regained 80% of the functioning in my hands, due to my self-therapy based on a lot of research.

Now I am proud to report that I can now use a computer properly again. For the 14 months that I had RSI, it was absolute torture to use a computer. I'd go to work, and all I could think about was getting my health back, I spent most of my time at work researching RSI, and trying to find health professionals in Germany that could help me!

The RSI has been an absolute blessing in disguise, I have learnt so much through this experience, and it has really put me on track in life. It has helped me to understand what is important in my life, and given me a better idea of what I want out of life.

Now I feel that I'm at a point where I'm ready to begin weight training again. Basically I'm starting from scratch, but with a whole new set of knowledge behind me. I've learnt a lot about my body through my experience of RSI.

I lost all my muscle mass, and weighh only 65kg at a height of 177cm. Back in 2005/2006 I weighed ~80kg but with much more fat than I carry now.

I am really looking forward to training again. I have missed it so much! It was a passion in my life before all this happened to me. I had been training for 5 years straight, and I had always said that I'd never stop training.

fooz
05-04-2008, 06:21 AM
Really inspirational man! Good luck with your goals, I'll be watching :)

Coke
05-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Wow man, you've been through a lot...glad to see you find your way back here.