PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift Critique Request

Slim Schaedle
05-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Good day all.

I was looking for some feedback on these deadlift vids.

I have a habit of dipping down prior the start of the lift. So far, I am not sure if it has been hindering me any, but I was looking for some more expert opinion.

I just started focussing on 1 rep max relatively recently. The highest I went here is 515, and I have never gone higher. The last time I went that high, I was bulking at 5,000 cals/.day at 1,000 grams carb/day.

I am currently recomping with UD2 with average calories per week being 3,500, so the circumstances are quite different.

I just started doing sumo as well, so I am still getting used to how it feels.

455 conventional

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rTIddggwUYg&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rTIddggwUYg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

500 conventional

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B6w5BDYTwCw&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B6w5BDYTwCw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

515 conventional

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P_GgAZkl73o&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P_GgAZkl73o&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

405 sumo

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B7DUcezj2Mg&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B7DUcezj2Mg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Chubrock
05-05-2008, 08:03 PM
Seems to me that you're getting started too low. Your hips have to move quite a bit before you get the bar moving. If you'll bring the shoulders over the bar a bit more you should take all that slack out.

Slim Schaedle
05-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Seems to me that you're getting started too low. Your hips have to move quite a bit before you get the bar moving. If you'll bring the shoulders over the bar a bit more you should take all that slack out.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's how I used to do it.

I don't know how I got into this habit of dipping down like that.

Chubrock
05-05-2008, 08:39 PM
A lot of people want to grip it and rip it and drop down looking for some big stretch reflex. What ends up happening is that they sit so far down that they get completely behind the bar and have all this wasted movement before the bar even budges.

Indifference
05-05-2008, 10:15 PM
I think if you took a little more HMB you'd be solid slim.

But seriously, I honestly am not good enough at a deadlift to give any solid advice, and will have one of these threads up in about 3 days. Looks pretty ****ing strong regardless!

RBB
05-06-2008, 07:22 AM

i agree with chubs. you're sitting down too far and just need to bring your shoulders over the bar a little more. looks good other than that. nice strength too, bro.

Mik
05-06-2008, 07:49 AM
:withstupi:

Hella nice strength Slim. Your sumo pull looks great IMO. I just started pulling sumo lately as well. How do you like sumo vs. conventional?

Slim Schaedle
05-06-2008, 08:32 AM
Thanks so far guys.

Yeah, once I get more practice with sumo, I think I could go much higher in weight, and more quickly.

I tried 455 that day, but since I have several heavy working sets already, the form started to suffer slightly and I just put it down.

I would like to develop both ways.

Mad Max
05-06-2008, 01:36 PM
I think your hips should be much lower with the sumos, and they come up too fast. Try sitting back more, and letting your hams/glutes do more of the pulling, whilst your torso stays more upright. I would like to add that since performing sumos this way, I find that I do come up much slower, but I'm just doing what I'm told in the powerlifting articles I've read, plus my lower back is much happier.

Mad Max
05-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Just watched the sumo pull again. Your hips weren't quite as high as I thought, but they still come up too quick compared to how I pull.
It's odd I've just watched 5 or so videos on youtube of people pulling sumo, and it seems everyone's hips come up too quick. They all start with their hips low, but then their hips shoot straight up before the bar has moved more than 2 inches. Maybe I have it confused.

Best example I could find:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHflGcgj8Ik

Lones Green
05-06-2008, 02:38 PM
i've seen a lot worse form!

here's a tip: before you pull and while you pull, stay upright. bending over like you were doing causes you to lose air. plus if you practice standing up straight and staying upright your form will get a lot better.

Chubrock
05-06-2008, 02:40 PM
whilst your torso stays more upright.

I made this mistake for the longest time. Very few people are built to pull this way. If you start too upright, there is no void for your hips to move through when the plates break the floor. By setting your hips and getting your shoulders over the bar, you can pop the hips through allowing a smoother pull with more leverage.

Mad Max
05-07-2008, 05:07 AM
I made this mistake for the longest time. Very few people are built to pull this way. If you start too upright, there is no void for your hips to move through when the plates break the floor. By setting your hips and getting your shoulders over the bar, you can pop the hips through allowing a smoother pull with more leverage.

Gaaaah...my experience tells me you are right, but my lower back just prefers a more upright position. Normally weights that were a quick whip up for me, became much harder when I kept my hips down and torso upright. I just thought that meant my glutes and hams were weak. I give up on deadlifts, I'm just gonna focus on toning and keeping fit, make sure I use a smith machine for everything and get me a YMCA personal trainer.

Chubrock
05-07-2008, 06:50 AM
Haha if you can still create a void between your hips and the bar when you sit down, you might be able to get away with it. When I try and stay upright my hips end up getting sucked under and to the bar.

bjohnso
05-07-2008, 08:57 AM

This lingo is a little over my head. Are you saying that for most people, starting with your hips low and squatting the weight up is not ideal?

Chubrock
05-07-2008, 09:30 AM
Squatting the weight up isn't ideal, no. You don't necessarily have to sit your hips high but a lot of people, myself included, try to get my hips set too low and end up tucking my hips under. When the pull starts my hips have nowhere to go. By setting my hips a bit higher and leaning over a bit more, I create a void that my hips can travel through. It creates better leverage and my hips pop through helping with the completion of the lift.

Here you can see me pulling with some really ****ty form. Look at how close my hips are and how tucked under they are. I have a lot of wasted movement before my hips get into a position where I have some leverage.

_91VL3alLpU

Although it's nothing heavy, you can see how I set my hips up a bit and create a void for my hips to shoot through. You'll notice it the most at the top of the lift. I also don't have a lot of wasted movement because I'm already set up with the best leverage.

RQuWakWLbbk

bigmoney
05-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Wow I can see what you're talking about wasted movement when comparing your 2 videos Chub. That's awesome.

Mad Max
05-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Ok thaks chub. The music in the first vid conjures up images of a private detective cruising down the coast in a convertable to a Californian sunset, just after his wife left him because if his drinking problems.

bjohnso
05-07-2008, 07:29 PM
I think I understand what you are saying, Chubrock. I'm going to give it a shot next deadlift day.

Slim Schaedle
05-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the replys and suggestions.

I am going to have to read over this in more detail and check out Chubs videos closer.

I tired adjusting form somewhat tonight, but it ended up messing with my mind.

It seems that "the dip" is very much ingrained in my technique and sequence before I start the lift.

Chubrock
05-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Keep in mind that the dip isn't necessarily bad. You just want to avoid sitting down as low as you are and getting your shoulders so far behind the bar.

Slim Schaedle
05-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Keep in mind that the dip isn't necessarily bad. You just want to avoid sitting down as low as you are and getting your shoulders so far behind the bar.

That makes me feel better, haha.

bjohnso and I were discussing that tonight and eliminating the dip really made me suck ass.

Of course, I kind of screwed my diet up the last 1.5 days, so that was a major player.

I have been going up over 300 lbs on my SLDL/Romanian deadlift on Thursdays, so I am certain that comes into play as well.

TwiloMike
05-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Cool vids, strong pulling. The ass wagging is not a horrible thing (imo, but I'm not a dead lift expert).

Slim Schaedle
05-10-2008, 10:35 PM
The ass wagging is not a horrible thing (imo, but I'm not a dead lift expert).

hehe

:)

That's why I wore white shorts for the vid

TwiloMike
05-10-2008, 11:04 PM
hehe

:)

That's why I wore white shorts for the vid

You're so thoughtful! :thumbup:

littleman19
05-13-2008, 07:50 PM
hmm when i deadlift, i try to keep the bar as close to me as possible with my chest up and back arched. for the start of the lift, my shoulders are over the bar along with my knees. as i pull the bar up, the bar usually slides up my legs except i'm using a lighter weight because the weight goes slightly in front of my legs. my shins usually bleed because of scraping whenever i go anywhere above 90%, but it keeps the pressure off my ****ty back. as bjohnso was saying, i pretty much do deadlifts like a reverse "squat", holding the bar with my hands and going up rather thanstarting from the bottom rather than putting it on my soulders and going down to up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO935Pvnmao

deeder
05-13-2008, 08:39 PM
hmm when i deadlift, i try to keep the bar as close to me as possible with my chest up and back arched. for the start of the lift, my shoulders are over the bar along with my knees. as i pull the bar up, the bar usually slides up my legs except i'm using a lighter weight because the weight goes slightly in front of my legs. my shins usually bleed because of scraping whenever i go anywhere above 90%, but it keeps the pressure off my ****ty back. as bjohnso was saying, i pretty much do deadlifts like a reverse "squat", holding the bar with my hands and going up rather thanstarting from the bottom rather than putting it on my soulders and going down to up.

hO935Pvnmao

You need to either narrow your stance or learn to push your knees out.

You should be sitting back at the bottom of a sumo deadlift with your knees in a straight line over your toes and as perpendicular to the ground as possible.