PDA

View Full Version : sharp pain in wrist

youngguns
05-05-2008, 08:53 PM
i get a pretty sharp pain in my middle underside of my wrist while benchpressing. i happens when i bring the bar down to the bottom of my sternum, where my hand and arm are make a right angle. its not the same pain that i got when first trying front sqauts. is this just my wrist stretching out, or should i be worried about this? i just started useing the correct form. (lots of arch, no flare in the elbows)

thewicked
05-05-2008, 09:06 PM
you use a monkey (thumbless grip) ?!?!

if you do..cut that **** out..that's what caused it for ME about a year ago.. thumbless puts ALOT of stress on the wrist not to mention dangerous.

if you ARE then that's the answer to your question..if you're NOT.. then look at where the bar rests in your hands when you grip it. If you grip it high up in the middle of your palm or way up near the base of your fingers.. (i didn't know people did this but i've seen it alot lately)..it'll kill your wrist!

the bar should sit directly over your wrists when you grip it for the press... still having a problem and it persists..take some time off from any movement that aggrevates it. If you do and it still hurts..see a dr.

if it goes away after you take a break..try using heavy duty wrist wraps like the convict pro's from www.prowriststraps.com.. AWESOME for wrist support when heavy pressing.

Travis Bell
05-05-2008, 09:15 PM
sometimes people cock their wrists back too far and really lean the weight into them.

ditto for the wrist wraps as well. Well worth the investment

thewicked
05-05-2008, 09:27 PM
sometimes people cock their wrists back too far and really lean the weight into them.

ditto for the wrist wraps as well. Well worth the investment

thanks travis..and exactly...your wrist shouldn't ever be bent back more than say 45*..any more than that will put ALOT of undue stress from the wrist down through your elbows because they're all connected.

youngguns
05-05-2008, 09:55 PM
thanks for the quick response guys, and thanks for not posting something that will cost me a fortune! now that i think of it, i does rest more at the top of palm. so the bar should be kind of wedged between my thumb and palm?

nhlfan
05-05-2008, 11:05 PM
I've started to get some wrist pain while benching. Wrist wraps are cheap and will probably solve your problem, if the issue isn't just with form.

vdizenzo
05-06-2008, 05:24 AM
I use a thumbless grip and keep the bar lower in my palm in line with my forearms. Seems to work for me. Sometimes wrist pain is just from lifting really heavy weights. Our bodies were just not meant to do it. I got some good stretches for my wrists from my pt. Too difficult to explain. Also, cortisone shots did me wonders.

Rob Luyando
05-06-2008, 07:58 AM
Vin is crazy! Thumbless grips or suicide grip is way to risky with heavy weights. Also puts alot more pressure on the forearms. Just my 2 cents.

As for wrist pain wrap your wrist as tight as possible. My hands are usually turning blue when I am taking my heavy sets from a tight wrap.

Jason Pegg
05-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Vin is crazy! Thumbless grips or suicide grip is way to risky with heavy weights. Also puts alot more pressure on the forearms. Just my 2 cents.

As for wrist pain wrap your wrist as tight as possible. My hands are usually turning blue when I am taking my heavy sets from a tight wrap.

I was about to say that they call it a suicide grip for a reason!

Jason

Jonah
05-06-2008, 07:56 PM

It's just nobody ever told Vin that he can't do it.

Keeping the wraps tight, Keeping the hand straight (same direction as the forearm), and gripping the bar itself tighter (white knuckle tight) should make the grip better.

manofsteel99
05-07-2008, 04:10 PM
somethin weird is that i used to get it pretty bad to, but then i got wrist wraps, and then i stopped useing them and i ahvent had pain since then

thewicked
05-07-2008, 04:22 PM
they allowed you to heal up whatever you were irritating and have apparenlty stopped doing what you did to cuase it initially! Wrist wraps are good people! and APT makes the best in the business!

jbrin0tk
05-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Yeah, I had some wrist pain once upon a time, bought some APT wraps for like 16 bucks plus shipping, and they really work wonders. Now I am pain free! Look into them. They aren't too expensive and they'll really help you out.

DrDudley-Robey
05-21-2008, 08:19 PM
You may be stressing the Scaphoid ligament causing the pain. Try moving your grip in by a finger or two and using the 36 inch wrist wraps - tight. I agree APT does mage the best wraps in the game.